View Full Version : Running with your dog?

Eep
01-25-2011, 02:52 PM
I enjoy running and I enjoy my dogs, but I've never tried running with a dog. The entire point of this would be for my pup to enjoy himself. I don't need the company, the protection (lol), etc. - I'm not trying to get anything out of this, so it's all about what would be fun/safe/helpful/whatever for him.

For those of you that have tried this or do it regularly, would you mind sharing your experiences and suggestions? I have a lot of (possibly slightly paranoid) questions about it...

The one of my dogs that I think would enjoy this is a Miniature Schnauzer. He is very high-energy, active, and fast. I've walked over six miles with him on several occasions and he loves it and wants to keep going. That said, he's only a 20 lb dog. I never really see people running with dogs that little. Is there some reason for this?
How do you handle the leash? Do you use something that attaches it to your waist or just hold it in your hand? Do you use a pretty short leash so that your dog stays close to your body, or would that make it more likely for you to trip over the dog?
When we are walking, he wants to stop and sniff every tree, sign, hydrant, rock, etc. and I generally oblige him. Obviously this couldn't happen during a run. How could I keep him more focused on forward progress, and would he still enjoy himself if we weren't "stopping to smell the roses" every 20 feet?
On a similar note how can you tell, when you're running and your dog starts pulling on the leash towards the grass or whatever, if your dog is ready to do some business or if he just wants to sniff around and explore?
How do you know how far you can safely run with your dog when he's first getting started? I want him to have fun, not feel overworked or sore afterwards. Do you think he can he run 5 or 10 miles already, or do I need to treat it like starting running with a person who hasn't been doing it?
It's cold out there in the morning! Should I get a little sweater to put on him to keep him warm, or would that be more bothersome than helpful?

Thanks!

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 03:02 PM
I walk our dogs alot and recently started running with one of them (a shelter rescued dog of mix breed about 30 pounds). I recently downloaded the Couch to 5K app in hopes of doing some organized event running this spring.

I found you first have to have a dog that is a good walking leashed dog - one that heels with slight pressure and stays right at your side. A little attention tug when you pass fire-hydrants etc. seems to keep them in control.

I prefer to run off leash, but there are very few places you could do that legally and safely. So, I use a short leash and keep the dog moving. I park at SW 18 and Robinson and run along the river area.

I let the dog do his business prior to the run. If he has to while running he will simply stop dead in his tracks. Be sure and take some bags for such emergencies.

I just watch my dog and you'll get a sense when they are tired. I don't put sweaters and such on my dogs and I'm sure it would get hot while they are running.

bradzilla
01-25-2011, 06:07 PM
I run with both of our dogs, just watch their body language and realize that they get tired, thirsty, hot, cold, etc, and in oklahoma really watch their feet because we have an insane amount of stickers in the grass.

Just like running with a friend realize that it may take a few runs for them to work up the stamina to do the 5k that you've been running by yourself. Also, as they get older realize that their joints may not be like they used to be and they might be a little stiff when its cold outside. I also am a fan of letting them out into the backyard for 10 minutes before i take them so they can do their business and it greatly decreases the chance that they will want to use your neighbors yard and will do wonders in keeping your neighbors happy because most people who dont have dogs dont like dogs anywhere near their yard.

Besides that my biggest advice would be just be very consistent in what side you want them to run on and how often you will let them stop then make them stay at your side of slightly in front of you. It reduces confusion for them, it lets them setup a comfort zone, gives you control, and greatly minimizes the dangerous possibility of them crossing in front of you and you stumbling over them or tripping over the leash. I'm not going to lie, i've fallen before on asphalt at 6-7 miles per hour and you can seriously hurt yourself.

The one of my dogs that I think would enjoy this is a Miniature Schnauzer. He is very high-energy, active, and fast. I've walked over six miles with him on several occasions and he loves it and wants to keep going. That said, he's only a 20 lb dog. I never really see people running with dogs that little. Is there some reason for this?
How do you handle the leash? Do you use something that attaches it to your waist or just hold it in your hand? Do you use a pretty short leash so that your dog stays close to your body, or would that make it more likely for you to trip over the dog?
When we are walking, he wants to stop and sniff every tree, sign, hydrant, rock, etc. and I generally oblige him. Obviously this couldn't happen during a run. How could I keep him more focused on forward progress, and would he still enjoy himself if we weren't "stopping to smell the roses" every 20 feet?
On a similar note how can you tell, when you're running and your dog starts pulling on the leash towards the grass or whatever, if your dog is ready to do some business or if he just wants to sniff around and explore?
How do you know how far you can safely run with your dog when he's first getting started? I want him to have fun, not feel overworked or sore afterwards. Do you think he can he run 5 or 10 miles already, or do I need to treat it like starting running with a person who hasn't been doing it?
It's cold out there in the morning! Should I get a little sweater to put on him to keep him warm, or would that be more bothersome than helpful?

Thanks!

-I have medium leashes lenght leashes for our large breed dogs. Enough where they can run a few feet away from you but not enough that they could get hit by a car or too much they are tempted to run into someones yard.
-People with small dogs are usually lazy, but most small sporting dog breeds would love the exercise.
-Take control (see above), when you are running and they try to call the shots it can be dangerous.
-Depends on the dog, let them outside to go to the bathroom before you ever get the leash out to go for a run. That way they think its just a normal bathroom break/
-With a dog breed that small i wouldnt recommend 5 or 10 miles, but im sure if you've been walking regularly he/she should be able to do a mile no problem.
-No sweater, they have fur and moving 4 legs instead of 2 will get their body temp up more than fast enough.

Eep
01-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much for all that info, guys!

I walk our dogs alot and recently started running with one of them (a shelter rescued dog of mix breed about 30 pounds).
Haha, I have a dog that fits that exact same description! Despite the fact that he's not even 2 years old yet, I don't think he'd have much interest in running with me. After his life on the streets, he seems to have decided that he wants to spend his days doing nothing more than sleeping on my couch surrounded by stuffed toys, rolling around in the yard in the sun, drinking out of the back yard fountain, and howling at squirrels on the fence. :-P He enjoys short walks of a mile or two, but he prefers to kind of plod along at a leisurely pace...

I found you first have to have a dog that is a good walking leashed dog - one that heels with slight pressure and stays right at your side. A little attention tug when you pass fire-hydrants etc. seems to keep them in control.
I think then that instead of starting to run with him immediately, we'll focus on better leash behavior for now, maybe throwing in a couple of really short run intervals to get him used to the general idea. We both know what we're supposed to do, but he's fairly strong-willed about where he wants to go, and I tend to be fairly indulgent because he's cute (I know, I know...), so sometimes it's more like flying a Schnauzer kite than walking a dog. So yeah, it would probably be better for us to both have a little more practice in this area. As bradzilla said, falling down in the street hurts, and I'm uncoordinated enough to have managed this several times with no dogs involved.

I park at SW 18 and Robinson and run along the river area.
Out of curiosity, why that lot? Is it the closest to where you live, or is there another reason you prefer it? I always park in the Chesapeake Boathouse lot because it seems to have a good amount of traffic and I figured that would make it safer for both the car and me. I really enjoy running down there (esp. if there's a strong wind from the N/S, lol), but that's the one place around here that I don't feel 100% safe going it alone.

I run with both of our dogs, just watch their body language and realize that they get tired, thirsty, hot, cold, etc, and in oklahoma really watch their feet because we have an insane amount of stickers in the grass.
Do your dogs take in fluids on your runs? If so, is it out of a bowl, or will they drink from a water bottle, or ??? No kidding about the stickers! I never even noticed them on the sides of the OK River trails until I took the dogs there.

-People with small dogs are usually lazy, but most small sporting dog breeds would love the exercise.
Haha! I'm just a small person who isn't particularly comfortable handling a large dog. Small dogs don't take up as much space in the bed either. :-D

-With a dog breed that small i wouldnt recommend 5 or 10 miles, but im sure if you've been walking regularly he/she should be able to do a mile no problem.
Noted. I'll build him up to a mile while we're working on leash skills, then start from there when we're ready.

For anyone else who's curious about running with dogs, I discovered that Runner's World has a section of their site about it called "The Dog Run" (http://www.runnersworld.com/dogrun/). It's got a lot of info, a little forum of it's own, etc. Reading other people's notes about running with their dogs was pretty interesting: I never would have guessed there was a person out there who could motivate a Shih-Tzu of all things to run a couple miles a day!

PennyQuilts
01-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Despite the fact that he's not even 2 years old yet, I don't think he'd have much interest in running with me. After his life on the streets, he seems to have decided that he wants to spend his days doing nothing more than sleeping on my couch surrounded by stuffed toys, rolling around in the yard in the sun, drinking out of the back yard fountain, and howling at squirrels on the fence. :-P He enjoys short walks of a mile or two, but he prefers to kind of plod along at a leisurely pace...

My two year old Samoyed is like that. She was bred in Virginia and with all that hair, thinks Oklahoma sunshine is fairly barbaric. In the summer, she will barely stick her butt past the shadow of the house overhang to go to the bathroom. My other Samoyeds weren't as particular and the heat didn't bother then nearly so much. But for that matter, she thinks COLD weather is barbaric, too. She is a real princess...