View Full Version : I have a "Texas" question and didn't know where else to post it...

TeriOKC
01-25-2011, 05:44 AM
I apologize for this seemingly random question, but hubby and I went to Dallas Market this weekend and, as we have for the past umpteen years, passed the unfinished McMansion (actually probably an acutal mansion) on the west side of I-35 outside of Denton. Anyone know the story on this? Just curious. It's sat there rotting in all its half-finished glory for so long, we were just wondering why it hasn't been either razed or finished.

Debzkidz
01-25-2011, 07:35 AM
I would love to know the answer to that question as well. We drive by there all the time and always wonder about it. I believe it's in Sanger, TX.

earlywinegareth
01-25-2011, 07:52 AM
It's been that way since the '80s. We guessed it was due to the oil collapse or some redneck melodrama. Why let it set that way for all those years? Probably the owners don't really need the money and are willing to let it appreciate in value year after year until it's sold for commercial development for a kajillion dollars.

cjohnson.405
01-25-2011, 09:30 AM
You have picked an interesting story.

It was Cullen Davis' house and ranch. Cullen and Priscilla Davis were Fort Worth socialites in the 70's whose divorce trial was extremely bitter and went on for years. Cullen Davis is infamous for hiring a hitman to kill his estranged wife and boyfriend at the mansion.

After the killings, Cullen was found innocent of a crime but later lost a civil suit to the boyfriends' family. Cullen retained the house but lost his fortune during the oil bust of the 80's and went into bankruptcy. Nobody wanted to touch the place because of its fame and history. So, it sat empty for decades, exposed to weather, and eventually the interior construction was removed because of disrepair.

I was a kid in the 70's in Arlington/Fort Worth and remember the murder trial and have always been aware of the house.

Eep
01-25-2011, 09:58 AM
It was Cullen Davis' house and ranch.
I think you're talking about a different house.

I believe this is the house the OP is referring to (some history included):
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Huge-Unfinished-Mansion-in-Sanger-Texas-Located-Along-Interstate-35-I35

Debzkidz
01-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I remember the story well. I was just about to begin my freshman year of college at UT Arlington. I know where the house the killings actually took place was in Ft Worth, but was not aware that the house in Sanger was his as well. My husband actually grew up in Ft Worth, and driving by the actual murder scene house was one of those things everyone had to do.

Debzkidz
01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
I think you're talking about a different house.

I believe this is the house the OP is referring to (some history included):
http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Huge-Unfinished-Mansion-in-Sanger-Texas-Located-Along-Interstate-35-I35
Thanks Eep. That's what I wanted to know about. It will be interesting to see if the catering company actually follows through with the plan.

Chicken In The Rough
02-01-2011, 01:21 PM
I had no idea there was that kind of money in weddings! Seems a bit of a stretch that they can support 30,000 square feet and all those grounds off of wedding catering. I guess I just don't know.

MustangGT
02-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The T. Cullen Davis Mansion in Fort Worth is now called The Stonegate Mansion. It can be rented for special occasions and has its own catering facility. The Sanger/TX house has no connection to T. Cullen Davis whatsoever.

Wacokid
02-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Seriously, this thread (in addition to a walk down the Cullen Davis memory lane) was informative, smart and thought provoking. I think I'm gonna like this internet thing.

texas97
09-09-2011, 12:35 AM
I live in Texas and I was told by someone that lives in Sanger that it was owned by Rex Cauble. (Also known as Cowboy Mafia). Cowboy Mafia was the largest marijuana smuggling operation in history. They said that they smuggled drugs through the horses.