View Full Version : Upscale Grocery Shopping in Edmond?

Pages : [1] 2 3

cjohnson.405
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I moved to Edmond last summer from the North Dallas area. About the only retail outlet I miss is Market Street which is a small chain of upscale grocery stores in that area.

They have an outstanding meat market, deli, and bakery. Onsite fresh prepared dinners include sushi, seafood, salads, pasta, and chicken meals. And, everything I had was great.

The even have a live lobster tank. Most importantly, their beer selection was huge and they had 100 different beer singles. So, instead of buying a 6 pack of some german beer you want to try, you buy a few singles of different beers and figure out which one you like the best.

Edmond has Wal-Mart, Homeland, and Crest which are great for the basics. But, if you want a great steak, the best deli meats, unusual spices, beer singles, or really nice flowers, you go to Market Street.

Would Edmond support something like this?

bucktalk
01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
At this point I'm not sure a store like Market Street would go over in Edmond. If perhaps the northen side of Edmond continues to grow with upper end housing then a higer end store might fit will some where north side - somewhere around Kelly and Covel?

progressiveboy
01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
I think that Market Street would work well for Edmond. Living in Dallas, and a former OKC resident, it is a good grocery store with an excellent deli, bakery, olive bar and artisan breads. Not to upscale but very clean and wide aisles. It would do fine in Edmond. I also could see Edmond supporting a Tom Thumb or a Kroger "Signature Store". I could even see a Trader Joe's working well there.

okclee
01-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I am very surprised that Edmond of all places have the same grocery options as the entire Okc metro. Never given it much thought because I don't live and I rarely visit Edmond, but if I did live there I would expect to have an upscale grocery store.

redrunner
01-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Homeland at Santa Fe and W. Edmond Rd. (2nd St) removed their letter signage on the facade of the store. Probably due for a refresh. If Homeland remodeled their two older stores in Edmond the city might be better served. But like Bucktalk said, I wouldn't be surprised if a grocery store came to Kelly & Covell soon, let's just hope a grocery store new to Edmond beats Walmart to it.

Debzkidz
01-25-2011, 07:27 AM
If you want great steaks, drive to Nichols Hill and go to the Crescent Market, they have a great meat counter/butcher shop. Also, The Beef Jerky Emporium on Danforth carries dry aged steaks. Very good quality. Believe it or not, for flowers, the best we've found anywhere is Walmart. We buy them regularly there and they seem to be very good quality and they are cheap. They last a long time, and when arranged in a nice vase, they look like they came from a florist, for a fraction of the price. When guests come into our home and see an arrangement we've done they always are shocked when we say we bought them at Walmart. We actually discovered their flowers while living in Houston. We had a Kroger Signature store, HEB, Randalls and Super Target all within a mile or so from my neighborhood but we still went to Walmart for flowers.

I agree Edmond needs something better. I'm personally boycotting Homeland due to several really bad/unhealthy things I've seen in one of their Edmond stores recently. So, I'm limited to Walmart or Target on my side of town. I drive over to Crest when I have to buy a bunch of things, but its too far to drive when I just need a few things.

cjohnson.405
01-25-2011, 08:15 AM
If you were going to write and visit with United Grocery (who owns Market Street) what would you say to them to advertise Edmond as a great place to grow their business?

hipsterdoofus
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't know that it would go over too well. As much as Edmond gets labeled as having fabulously rich people, it really isn't that much different from the other suburbs... Seems to me something "upscale" would do better near Nichols Hills than in Edmond.

okcpulse
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
I disagree. More than 50% of all adults in Edmond have a college degree, with the largest percentage being bachelor degrees. The average household income in Edmond in 2000 was over $65,000, and that was ten years ago. Edmond is a higher income suburb no matter how you try to argue statistics. I believe a Market Street would go over VERY well in Edmond, especially if we get our liquor laws changed so that grocery stores can sell wine. It would definitely make a grocery store more lucrative, but for the time being a Market Street would do very well.

The problem is, even Oklahoma's own people undersell Oklahoma all the time. It happened with the NBA, and now look. With the arrival of Whole Foods, we may see a drastic shift in the grocery market. It is what it is.

cjohnson.405
01-26-2011, 07:15 AM
I got on linkedin.com and found almost every executive at United Grocery which owns Market Street. So, I have contact information.

I emailed Edmond's City Planning Manager two days ago to ask if there was a standard set of demographics or information that Edmond uses to recruit businesses. No reply.

@hipsterdoofus - according to city-data.com, the average incomes for the two main zip codes in Nichols Hills and Edmond are not wildly different. Additionally, there's just no real competition in Edmond. Nichols Hills has Crescent, Kamps Meat Market, and a Whole Foods on its way. The nicest grocery store in Edmond is Target. It's kinda sad.

adaniel
01-26-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm from Dallas--Plano specifically--and the lack of decent grocery stores is by far the biggest complaint I have about this area. As far as demographics is concerned Edmond isn't the lock for upscale retail/shopping as it would appear. If you go the the New York Times Mapping America page (I put a link at the bottom), enter in a Edmond zip code, and select income under the "view more maps" button you will see that while North Edmond has a lot of wealth, it is concentrated in areas that are best classified as semi-rural. Maybe when that area develops more in the future it will justify having the density and demographics to support such stores. This is a problem all over OKC metro. This area for better or worse simply doesn't have large unbroken swaths of wealth like South Tulsa or North Dallas.

I think it will change for the better in the future. The "Wal Mart efffect" that has gripped this area seems to be wearing off. And when Whole Foods opens up on Classen Curve and becomes wildly successful, which I know it will, I think a lot of upscale retailers and grocers will get over their inital jitteriness about this area and its ability to support upscale stores.

http://projects.nytimes.com/census/2010/explorer

hipsterdoofus
01-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I just don't think that Edmond compares to some of the places where "upscale grocery" does well. I know several on here think it does, but i'd prefer to see actual data.

Jettmiester
01-31-2011, 05:23 PM
Edmond Would support this. And I am shocked one like this doesn't exist yet. I def would shop there.

cjohnson.405
02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
I just don't think that Edmond compares to some of the places where "upscale grocery" does well. I know several on here think it does, but i'd prefer to see actual data.

The average household income in Edmond last year was $94,998 which is almost exactly equal to McKinney and Allen, TX...two cities where Market Street currently has stores.

http://www.orenusa.com/upld_fls/affiliate_fls/link_upld/edm_eda/Abstract.pdf

And, I don't think anyone here is suggesting that Edmond is full of fabulously wealthy people. But, it is different from the other burbs.

Soonerman
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Wichita Falls has a Market Street as well. I believe it was the first one.

metro
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Edmond couldeasily support one. Also don't forget they have a Super Target in Esmond and it carries some nice gourmet items.

Cjohnson, don't forget Nichols Hills also has Forward Foods nearby.

gilmartiny
02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
When we moved here 3 years ago it was a disappointment to not have a upscale grocery store. However, that led me to look into the Oklahoma Food Coop (http://www.oklahomafood.coop/) & now we get the best food! I have never had such great steaks, bacon, pork, eggs... the local food here is much better than anything you get at a chain store.

cjohnson.405
02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Last week, I emailed a large number of people at United Supermarkets, which owns the Market Street brand, to tell them about Edmond.

Yesterday, I received a phone call from the Director of Real Estate. He said that he appreciated the information about Edmond and did not previously know about Edmond. He noted that they were focused on the North Texas market right now and had recently opened a Distribution Center at Alliance airport. They do not currently have Oklahoma on their radar.

However, when I mentioned that Whole Foods is going into Nichols Hills, his tune kind of changed. Then, he wanted to know more specifics about the Edmond market which I happened to have thanks to the Edmond Economic Development abstract. He was going to take the information back to his company for consideration.

He also mentioned that someone from Edmond had written the week before I had written and it was interesting to receive two notes. I'm wondering if a write-in campaign would get more attention from them. What do you think?

okclee
02-11-2011, 08:13 AM
You actually got a call from a director? That is amazing!

Good work cjohnson405, I will put you in for a pay raise.

Also it is amazing to find out how clueless retail executives can be. I would think that if I were in the high end grocery business I would know where Whole Foods is and where they plan on opening soon. This goes to show that all of the times many of us email or call in to companies for them to consider Okc as a site location, most just file that call or email away into the recycle bin.

onthestrip
03-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I was told the Edmond Crest sells prime beef. Sounds like thats where you should get your steaks.

metro
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
SuperTarget on Memorial and on 2ndcarry prime as well.

Debzkidz
03-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I was just in the Homeland on Danforth & Bryant. Looks like they are trying to up their game. They are now dry-aging their own beef. They have a glass refrigerator case at the butcher counter with several slabs of beef hanging in it. The butcher told me that the first of it will be ready in about a week. They are advertising it as 14 day dry aged beef.

redrunner
03-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Homeland at Santa Fe and W. Edmond Rd. (2nd St) removed their letter signage on the facade of the store. Probably due for a refresh. If Homeland remodeled their two older stores in Edmond the city might be better served. But like Bucktalk said, I wouldn't be surprised if a grocery store came to Kelly & Covell soon, let's just hope a grocery store new to Edmond beats Walmart to it.

I received information from a company insider that they are building a new supermarket/grocery store west of Covell & Kelly in Edmond. It's going to be on the same corner where Walgreens, Lowe's and Prime Bank are currently located. Land is already being cleared. I can't say who the company is because they haven't made it public but news should come out soon. It's not Walmart but it's a company with stores currently in the metro. They say it will be an upscale store.

Dustin
03-30-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm amazed Edmond doesn't have better grocery options.. Raze that Neighborhood Walmart on 2nd Street and slap a Whole Foods there...

Debzkidz
03-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Please, oh please, let it be something better than a Walmart Market or a Homeland.

hipsterdoofus
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
sheesh...you people act like anything from current stores tastes like dirt...

adaniel
03-31-2011, 03:36 PM
Crest Fresh Market?

Debzkidz
04-01-2011, 12:23 PM
Crest Fresh Market?

That would be nice. Maybe so.

okclee
04-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Crest Fresh Market?

Over-rated!

isaac
04-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I found this information in the Edmond City Council Agenda.

Case #SP110004 Public Hearing and Consideration of Site Plan approval for the
Uptown Grocery Co. and shopping center located south of Covell Road, west of Prime
Bank. (Esperanza Investments, L.L.C.)
5. Case #PR110001 Consideration of Final Plat of Market Square II at Covell Village,
located south of Covell Road, west of Prime Bank. (Covell and Kelly Group, LLC)

isaac
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Here are two items I found in the Edmond Planning Commission's April 5 Agenda.

4. Case #SP110004 Public Hearing and Consideration of Site Plan approval for the
Uptown Grocery Co. and shopping center located south of Covell Road, west of Prime
Bank. (Esperanza Investments, L.L.C.)
5. Case #PR110001 Consideration of Final Plat of Market Square II at Covell Village,
located south of Covell Road, west of Prime Bank. (Covell and Kelly Group, LLC)

adaniel
04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
Uptown Grocery...sounds cool.

Plans for new Edmond grocery store to be heard
http://newsok.com/plans-for-new-edmond-grocery-store-to-be-heard/article/3555327

ljbab728
04-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Uptown Grocery...sounds cool.

Plans for new Edmond grocery store to be heard
http://newsok.com/plans-for-new-edmond-grocery-store-to-be-heard/article/3555327

It may be wonderful but you can't tell much about it from that article. All it gives is the size of the store and a little about the kind of construction being planned. It could just be an oversized 7-11 for all we would know from that. LOL

redrunner
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
No, it will be a full scale grocery store. The store is actually part of an Oklahoma grocery chain but the name Uptown Grocery is a totally new name for this planned store.

mcca7596
04-04-2011, 10:40 PM
So that means Homeland, Crest, or maybe even Reasors?

ljbab728
04-04-2011, 10:50 PM
No, it will be a full scale grocery store. The store is actually part of an Oklahoma grocery chain but the name Uptown Grocery is a totally new name for this planned store.

I understand that it will be a full scale grocery store. I was just pointing out how little information was in that article for anyone to get excited about. No one would have a clue what kind of store it could be (upscale, discount, etc.).

redrunner
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
I would expect it to be upscale considering the surrounding areas.

Soonerinfiniti
04-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Now I hear it may be Reasor's

RealtorJoe
04-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Buy for Less and Upscale??? Lol should be interesting. Aren't there two different owners of Buy For Less stores? Hank Binkowski (sp) and someone else?

Rom
04-06-2011, 09:53 AM
so is it going to be a Reasor's or a BuyforLess?

Brett
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
Buy For Le$$ in Edmond. Tres Chic.

BrettM2
04-06-2011, 05:02 PM
NewsOK.com article on it:

http://www.newsok.com/edmond-is-getting-new-grocery-store/article/3556003?custom_click=headlines_widget

Modeling it on Whole Foods and HEB. Should be interesting if they can pull it off.

Easy180
04-07-2011, 02:29 AM
Does sound promising but it might also be a marketing strategy to simply jack up the prices on the regular food they carry as well

cjohnson.405
04-07-2011, 07:38 PM
The description sounds exactly like the store I originally noted that I missed: Market Street. It includes concierge services and cooking demonstrations, concentration on prepared foods (think mini-restaurants).

If it is indeed like Market Street, most of the store will focus on the high margin upscale offerings (meats, cheeses, seafood, organic foods, etc) and less on the standard breads, cereals, and regular stuff you find in a grocery store.

The HEB flagship stores are very nice and you are probably familiar with Whole Foods. To me, this is definitely great news.

Oh, and my favorite part - BEER SINGLES. Market Street had over 100 different types of beer all in singles so that you could try whatever you want a beer at a time instead of buying a whole six pack. Everytime I went, I would pick up 2 or 3 to try. Good stuff.

redrunner
04-07-2011, 07:43 PM
I've noticed the Homeland stores in Edmond and the one on Britton & May in OKC are stepping up their game with interior remodels and reorganizing the departments. It's a shame they took this long just because Whole Foods is coming into town and now we see Buy For Less giving shoppers what they've been screaming for.

bluedogok
04-07-2011, 07:48 PM
I've noticed the Homeland stores in Edmond and the one on Britton & May in OKC are stepping up their game with interior remodels and reorganizing the departments. It's a shame they took this long just because Whole Foods is coming into town and now we see Buy For Less giving shoppers what they've been screaming for.
Most retailers won't improve unless they are forced to by competition.

foodiefan
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
The Buy 4 Less on NW Expw/I-44/Portland has upgraded nicely, and yes, I think with the advent of WF, the other grocers are at long last stepping up their game. It would be nice if the one in Edmond is hugely successful. . .perhaps they will do another in the Midtown area. It is interesting, but OKC finally seems "ready" for this type of shopping experience. Pratt's tried a WF/CM format several years ago in Edmond and it didn't last long/make it. . . hopefully we are ready now!! I don't really care about "upscale". . . it is the availability of interesting and unusual product that we so need (including "food to go"). . . .I'd absolutely be the last person to "dis" Buy 4 Less. . . when it comes to herbs (NW 23/Penn) and Latino/Mexican goods (NW 36th/MacArthur). . .and the cheese selection at NW Expwy/I-44/Portland is (imo) second only to Forward Foods. It seems like we are at long last expanding to more than one "possiblity"!!

ctchandler
06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
I heard today that The Meat House out of Texas is coming to Edmond, probably on Danforth, East of Sante Fe. It is a company that I was told sold beef that had been grass fed and no chemicals involved as well as no grain to fatten them. As a man that doesn't care about his health, it's still an interesting company.
C. T.

Pete
07-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Here's another rendering for Uptown Grocery Co. that is going in on the SW corner of Kelly & Covell.

Will be about 50% larger than Whole Foods and will also carry staples (common brand names) as well as organic and more upscale items. Will open in February 2012:

http://static.npaper-wehaa.com/pub-files/12293670174946a6e9878be/pub/OKCBiz-07-01-2011_13082406604dfa2b14a1291/lib/13082469404dfa439c2eeee.jpg

redrunner
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
This looks like it belongs in Automobile Alley. Not sure the design is ideal for the suburbs but still looks interesting.

http://www.okc.biz/oklahoma/article-5738-going-to-market.html Here is an article I believe Pete was sourcing.

ShowMeOKC
07-08-2011, 11:26 PM
This looks like it belongs in Automobile Alley. Not sure the design is ideal for the suburbs but still looks interesting.

http://www.okc.biz/oklahoma/article-5738-going-to-market.html Here is an article I believe Pete was sourcing.

It's definitely a unique design in comparison to what we're used to in our suburbs, but ties in nicely with the bank that was built in this location just a couple of years ago. Maybe it's the design theme that the city's trying to push in this area?

Pete
07-11-2011, 03:04 PM
It will also be part of a larger shopping center that I'm sure will feature the same sort of architecture.

I bet this concept will do very well at that location and glad to see a local company stepping up.

JSpitZ
12-05-2011, 05:54 PM
After being curious about this giant monstrosity being built the builder has finally put. sign stating what this building is going to be. Being curious, I searched the name and found this thread.
I'm quite excited for this store as I don't have time to travel to whole food to get items that I want. I hope this store is somewhat a comparison to whole foods and creates a good competitor. Hearing that it was a Buy for Less brand sorta' shocked me.

Oh, and my favorite part - BEER SINGLES. Market Street had over 100 different types of beer all in singles so that you could try whatever you want a beer at a time instead of buying a whole six pack. Everytime I went, I would pick up 2 or 3 to try. Good stuff.

CJkohnson, sorry to ruin your hopes. But, I highly doubt that this store will have the beer selection that you want it to. With Oklahoma's liquor laws, high-point beer must be sold in liquor stores only. (I've heard because of said laws, this is why Trader Joes will not come to Oklahoma)

Debzkidz
12-06-2011, 08:26 AM
I drove by there a week or so ago, but there was no sign at the time. Does it say when it will open?

wallbreaker
12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
With Oklahoma's liquor laws, high-point beer must be sold in liquor stores only. (I've heard because of said laws, this is why Trader Joes will not come to Oklahoma)

I see the statement made all the time, but there's no evidence to back it up. I mean, Texas doesn't have any Trader Joes either. It's not like there's nationwide coverage of Trader Joes with the exception of Oklahoma. There are a lot of places Trader Joes isn't yet, and I've got to figure cities like Austin and Dallas are much higher in their priority to grow into before OKC. Additionally, Delaware has several Trader Joes, and they don't allow any beer sales at all in grocery stores (not even 3.2).

I always head the same thing about Whole Foods, and we've seen that was a load of BS too.

Pete
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Whole Foods was very late to Oklahoma (besides the Tulsa location that came with an acquisition) and required tons of effort and lots of incentives from the City and Chesapeake.

Trader Joes is in 34 states and yet OK doesn't even seem to be on their radar screen.

And Costco also isn't in OK and doesn't seem interested.

While this all can't be blamed on the silly liquor laws, we know for a fact that these establishments make a lot of money in most their stores through items that would not be allowed in OK. There is absolutely no way that doesn't factor into their expansion plans.

wallbreaker
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
It might (and a strong might since no chain has stated so as far as I'm aware) be part of the picture. However, as I pointed out, Trader Joes is in states with the same or even more restrictive liquor laws. The same can be said for Costco. So it seems to me the consideration is more economic, no liquor. CostCo specifically may be affected by the strength of Wal-Mart/Sams. There are also no Costcos in Arkansas.

Pete
12-06-2011, 11:16 AM
The OKC Chamber has stated many times that in it's attempts to lure new retailers this issue has come up repeatedly.

It's why the Chamber has been lobbying for a change in the laws and involved in the committee studying these changes.

Chamber President Roy Williams:

Breaking the liquor store monopoly on wine and strong beer would help speed the state's efforts to bring retailers like Costco into the state.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20110919_16_A1_CUTLIN62098

Retailers don't issue press releases about why they aren't coming to a market. The fact that they haven't been specifically quoted as our liquor laws being a factor is spurious logic for saying it is not a reason.

I used to be a commercial real estate broker that marketed shopping centers and I can assure you that when chains are contacted this issue did come up as a reason for prioritizing other markets.

Jersey Boss
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
The OKC Chamber has stated many times that in it's attempts to lure new retailers this issue has come up repeatedly.

It's why the Chamber has been lobbying for a change in the laws and involved in the committee studying these changes.

Chamber President Roy Williams:

Retailers don't issue press releases about why they aren't coming to a market. The fact that they haven't been specifically quoted as our liquor laws being a factor is spurious logic for saying it is not a reason.

I used to be a commercial real estate broker that marketed shopping centers and I can assure you that when chains are contacted this issue did come up as a reason for prioritizing other markets.

I tend to believe what you are saying about Oklahoma and liquor laws from the previous century. A simalarity is in play when a previously dry county elects to go wet. Bryan County had no national presence before the liquor laws were changed. Now there are several national restaurants plying their trade in Durant.

Pete
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Our current laws are definitely a hurdle that has to be overcome when recruiting some of these desirable businesses.

It's not an insurmountable obstacle, but it is an obstacle none the less and removing it would absolutely, positively help on these fronts.