View Full Version : Setting Up Cox Cable on Samsung TV

okc_bel_air
01-24-2011, 03:01 PM
We have a new tv for the bedroom and I hooked the tv to the cable outlet on the wall, no cable box. It did the search for channels and it seems it missed alot of channels that are on basic cable. Do I have to have the box to get all the basic channels? It didn't do this on our old tube tv, only on the new digital tv.

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 03:05 PM
The new TV should have a way to manually seek for channels and add them one by one.

Eep
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
We have a new tv for the bedroom and I hooked the tv to the cable outlet on the wall, no cable box. It did the search for channels and it seems it missed alot of channels that are on basic cable. Do I have to have the box to get all the basic channels? It didn't do this on our old tube tv, only on the new digital tv.
You'll only be able to get "clear QAM" digital channels without a cable box or cablecard - encrypted streams require this hardware to perform the decryption.

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 04:33 PM
Basic cable should not require a box or anything other than the coax cable. We had basic for years and only got a box when we opted for HD and DVR.

Eep
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Basic cable should not require a box or anything other than the coax cable. We had basic for years and only got a box when we opted for HD and DVR.
Analog systems were much more friendly to such things; digital cable not so much.

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Only the TV in our living room has a box, the rest just use a coax and they pick up all the 'basic' cable stations just fine. Soon though we plan to cancel cable all together.

Also, if you had cable then you were already 'digital' weren't you?

okc_bel_air
01-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Ok, think I figured it out. I looked up Cox cable channel listing and the ones I am missing are not offered on basic cable.

What started this was channel 68 SPEED. Owell guess I have to watch this in the living room.

One more thing.......Is their a listing for DTV channels? When I ran the auto channel set-up it found ALOT of DTV channels. Like channel 4-5-9 are in the 700's. Also alot of channels are XX.2 for example. Is their a listing?

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 04:01 AM
I start messing with the new digital TVs and I long for the day when you just plugged in a TV set and watched television.
The Paradox of Choice: Why More Is Less (http://www.amazon.com/Paradox-Choice-Why-More-Less/dp/0060005688)

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Is their a listing for DTV channels? When I ran the auto channel set-up it found ALOT of DTV channels. Like channel 4-5-9 are in the 700's. Also alot of channels are XX.2 for example. Is their a listing?

Would love to know also if there is a good listing. I ran into the same thing. my local channels are like 73.4 etc. I've downloaded several different TV Guide apps but none cover those.

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 04:37 AM
Would love to know also if there is a good listing. I ran into the same thing. my local channels are like 73.4 etc. I've downloaded several different TV Guide apps but none cover those.

And the digital subchannels are getting ready to explode. KOCO is really promoting their ThisTV (http://www.thistv.com/) (Movies from 11am to 4am and classic TV from 4am-11am). Beginning yesterday, it's on digital channel 5.2 and on Cox Advanced TV cable channel 222. I'm still waiting for one of our locals to pick up RetroTV(!) Check out this line-up (http://www.myretrotv.com/shows.html).....more my style than 'Skins'.....but I grew up with a lot of this stuff.

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 05:57 AM
If you like retro TV have you even looked into a NetFlix or Hulu+ subscription? They have quite a few older TV shows and movies.

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 03:20 PM
If you like retro TV have you even looked into a NetFlix or Hulu+ subscription? They have quite a few older TV shows and movies.

Funny you mention that. I travel a lot and use Netflix streaming all the time. I often say it's the single best $20 a month we spend. We also use the 3 DVD plan for classic TV as often as the new release movies we haven't seen. For example, we just finished working our way through the first few seasons of the old Perry Mason series; we're waiting for the next season release in February. BTW, we use Netflix at home with the Roku and are currently doing our trial of Hulu+ through the Roku box as well.

Bunty
01-29-2011, 10:29 AM
And the digital subchannels are getting ready to explode. KOCO is really promoting their ThisTV (http://www.thistv.com/) (Movies from 11am to 4am and classic TV from 4am-11am). Beginning yesterday, it's on digital channel 5.2 and on Cox Advanced TV cable channel 222. I'm still waiting for one of our locals to pick up RetroTV(!) Check out this line-up (http://www.myretrotv.com/shows.html).....more my style than 'Skins'.....but I grew up with a lot of this stuff.

How I wish subchannels would make cable TV and its expense obsolete by the most popular cable channels moving to the subchannels. But I assume the cable companies would fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening.

I guess the only down side to that is, if I'm right, the subchannels can't do HD.