View Full Version : koolies

TaoMaas
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Has anybody ever heard of the Australian koolie? My wife and I bought a dog last March that was advertised as a miniature Australian Shepherd. However, the older our pup got, the less and less she looked like an Australian Shepherd. She looked more like she was half blue heeler or something, due to her ears standing up and her coat texture. Then, a few days ago, we were watching The Dog Whisperer and they were doing a story from Australia about a woman who had dogs called koolies. These things were the spitting image of my dog! After doing a little research online, I'm pretty convinced that I've got a koolie, not a miniature Australian Shepherd. But there doesn't seem to be much info on koolies in the U.S. Do any of you know anything about them?

PennyQuilts
01-24-2011, 02:52 PM
She sounds like a nice dog and from the photos I've seen, if she looks like a koolie she is just beautiful. Australian Shepherds, proper, are a pretty new breed and a lot of people think Koolies contributed to their gene pool. Maybe your little girl is a throwback to that.

TaoMaas
01-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Thanks, Penny. We don't really care if she's a koolie. We were mainly wanting a herding dog of some kind because they're so smart. We've kinda been spoiled by my wife's old red heeler because she's such a good dog. This is off topic, but....the other day we came home from grocery shopping and were trying to put things away. Our two dogs and two cats were all in the kitchen, as was my 93 yr. old mother-in-law. Mom was just refilling her water mug, but the pets were underfoot pretty bad so my wife turned around and yelled, "Go lay down!" The pets all scattered (which was the intention), but my mother-in-law grabbed her mug and her cane and started hot-footing it to her bedroom, too. We had to say, "Not you, mom! The animals!" LOL

PennyQuilts
01-24-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks, Penny. We don't really care if she's a koolie. We were mainly wanting a herding dog of some kind because they're so smart. We've kinda been spoiled by my wife's old red heeler because she's such a good dog. This is off topic, but....the other day we came home from grocery shopping and were trying to put things away. Our two dogs and two cats were all in the kitchen, as was my 93 yr. old mother-in-law. Mom was just refilling her water mug, but the pets were underfoot pretty bad so my wife turned around and yelled, "Go lay down!" The pets all scattered (which was the intention), but my mother-in-law grabbed her mug and her cane and started hot-footing it to her bedroom, too. We had to say, "Not you, mom! The animals!" LOL

That's hysterical! Good thing she didn't think about it and decide to take the cane to your wife for giving her lip! At 93, your wife must seem like a mouthy teenager to her, sometimes.

If I had said that at my house, Pearl would have hit the deck and rolled over (probably tripping Grandma) and Evelyn would have gone for a grocery sack. Samoyeds are known more for their goofiness than their intelligence, which explains why they wouldn't vamoose.

What kind of dog is your other one?

JayhawkTransplant
01-24-2011, 06:03 PM
My dog is actually part koolie, part Dalmatian! I usually just say she is Australian Shepherd/Dalmatian, since most people have never heard of a koolie.

TaoMaas
01-25-2011, 04:44 AM
What kind of dog is your other one? She's a red heeler.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
She's a red heeler.

Duh, I reread your post and it was there. I've never been around a red heeler but a good friend was raised with them and loves them - says they're really nice dogs.

monkeygang
01-25-2011, 09:03 AM
I have a koolie and I love her! She is the sweetest pet I have ever had. She loves to snuggle while we watch movies and always goes on jogs with me... :)

TaoMaas
01-25-2011, 10:32 AM
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/TaoMaas/Koolie-blue_merle_.jpg

If you bobbed the tail on this dog, she'd be the spittin' image of my dog, Roxie. Our red heeler's name (which I had NO part in choosing) is Hootchie Girl. After we'd decided on Roxie's name, my wife shook her head and said, "Hootchie Girl and Roxie...sounds like a couple of strippers." LOL

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 01:27 PM
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/TaoMaas/Koolie-blue_merle_.jpg

If you bobbed the tail on this dog, she'd be the spittin' image of my dog, Roxie. Our red heeler's name (which I had NO part in choosing) is Hootchie Girl. After we'd decided on Roxie's name, my wife shook her head and said, "Hootchie Girl and Roxie...sounds like a couple of strippers." LOL

What a pretty girl she must be.

Hootchie and Roxie. Hah! Brings a smile just to say them. My girls are all given old lady names: Sapphire, Jezebel (which could be a stripper, I suppose), Evelyn and Pearl.

KorDog
07-25-2011, 06:32 AM
I know i'm late here. I got a dog from the shelter about 2 weeks ago. he was listed as a cattle dog mix. I think he's some Koolie in him too. if not all

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wDwGt4dThHc/TiBaZGctP1I/AAAAAAAAbGE/aF9Bez85aI0/s512/DSC01504.JPG

okcisok
07-26-2011, 06:45 AM
KorDog, what a handsome looking dog! I bet he is very smart too. Good for you for getting a "pound puppy".

KorDog
07-28-2011, 07:36 AM
He is extremely intelligent. IN one day he learned to catch frisbees. the next day he learned to jump through a hula hoop i held up. The kids are THRILLED!