View Full Version : Terror Attack at the Moscow International Airport

Thunder
01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/24/explosion-shakes-moscows-busiest-airport/

With all the securities in place, terrorists are forced to do it within the airport instead of on the plane. Now we will be seeing widespread terror alerts.

Kerry
01-24-2011, 01:55 PM
Apparently it happened in baggage claim which leads me to believe that it was supposed to explode in the air, but when it didn't the suicide bomber blew it up manually in baggage claim.

PennyQuilts
01-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Apparently it happened in baggage claim which leads me to believe that it was supposed to explode in the air, but when it didn't the suicide bomber blew it up manually in baggage claim.

You are speculating that the bomber was waiting for it when it came off the plane? Hmm. Dunno. I'd think having it go off in baggage would be the plan all along - look how much devastation and death it caused. I guess we'll find out soon enough if the guy was on the plane or if he was just someone waiting for it to arrive and get close enough to it. Or if he carried in a bomb, himself. You'd think they could step back far enough so they wouldn't get blown up, too, if it was in baggage.

kevinpate
01-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Certainly it's still possible to send a boom through checked baggage, but where's about the only place left in an airport you can just wander on in sans security points anymore? Baggage and checkin lines.

Doesn't seem real complex to me to wheel in, or wear in, a big boom device right into the midst of everyone who is focused not on their surroundings or others nearby, but are narrow beamed for their luggage and getting out of there. If you're a suicide bomber, why run the risk of getting caught checking a bomb wheny ou can just show up like it's time to pick up Uncle Krackov

PennyQuilts
01-24-2011, 02:56 PM
There are so many awful ways to create panic and terror. I'm amazed we haven't seen more of it. My fear, for years, has been that they will simultaneously go after a lot of our governors who have next to no protection - snipers or something. Talk about spreading terror. What makes people do this sort of thing? I hear the theories but can't imagine the switch actually getting thrown. Of course, it does but still...

kevinpate
01-24-2011, 03:21 PM
There are so many awful ways to create panic and terror. I'm amazed we haven't seen more of it. My fear, for years, has been that they will simultaneously go after a lot of our governors who have next to no protection - snipers or something. Talk about spreading terror. What makes people do this sort of thing? I hear the theories but can't imagine the switch actually getting thrown. Of course, it does but still...

True. Messin' with the WH itself or Congress, at State of the Union or otherwise, would be some major undertaking by well funded and disciplined people. An annual governor's conference or a State of the State address, not a cakewalk, but I can't imagine that near as much effort would be necessary.

Coordinating something at all major hubs baggage areas for the same day and time, even if some airports are low volume at the time, the corresponding shutdown, perhaps running multiple days, would have far reaching impacts that stoked fear well beyond the airpark perimeters.

PennyQuilts
01-24-2011, 03:25 PM
True. Messin' with the WH itself or Congress, at State of the Union or otherwise, would be some major undertaking by well funded and disciplined people. An annual governor's conference or a State of the State address, not a cakewalk, but I can't imagine that near as much effort would be necessary.

Coordinating something at all major hubs baggage areas for the same day and time, even if some airports are low volume at the time, the corresponding shutdown, perhaps running multiple days, would have far reaching impacts that stoked fear well beyond the airpark perimeters.

Exactly. Soft targets in a variety of places not expected would be unnerving. Hitting places that a lot of people only visit on vacations, plus airplanes - that a lot of people avoid - is the kind of "terror" that doesn't really hit most people who figure they can just stay home or avoid certain areas. It is a little like crime on the bad side of town or done by gangbangers. Most people ignore it because they figure it will never impact them.

dismayed
01-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Did this remind anyone else of the airport level in Modern Warfare 2? In that game a group of ultranationalist terrorists attacks a baggage claim area of a Moscow airport. I just watched some footage of the real aftermath this week on YouTube and it is so eerily similar looking to the game. There have been several things from that game that have sort of happened in real life since. I often think that our government should employ writers to dream up these nightmare scenarios because it is scary how often reality imitates art.

HewenttoJared
01-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Thats exactly what i was thinking.

Achilleslastand
01-25-2011, 10:42 AM
The religion of peace at work again........

Kerry
01-25-2011, 11:55 AM
A Congresswoman was shot at a Safeway - is anyone afraid to go to the grocery store? No, I didn't think so. However, a guy shoots people pumping gas in DC and everyone is afraid to stop and get gas. If you don't consider yourself part of the target group your fear level goes way down. That is why terrorist don't usually target government officials. You aren't effective unless you scare the crap out of the civilians.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 01:20 PM
A Congresswoman was shot at a Safeway - is anyone afraid to go to the grocery store? No, I didn't think so. However, a guy shoots people pumping gas in DC and everyone is afraid to stop and get gas. If you don't consider yourself part of the target group your fear level goes way down. That is why terrorist don't usually target government officials. You aren't effective unless you scare the crap out of the civilians.

Truth to this. When I posted I almost mentioned the Beltway Sniper. I was there during that time and let me tell you, it was scary as hell, particularly since we were still reeling from 911 and the anthrax stuff. You thought about whether someone was going to shoot you when you stood at the sink washing dishes. The randomness affected everyone.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Did this remind anyone else of the airport level in Modern Warfare 2? In that game a group of ultranationalist terrorists attacks a baggage claim area of a Moscow airport. I just watched some footage of the real aftermath this week on YouTube and it is so eerily similar looking to the game. There have been several things from that game that have sort of happened in real life since. I often think that our government should employ writers to dream up these nightmare scenarios because it is scary how often reality imitates art.

I was just reading an article about some noted thriller writer (for the life of me, can't think of the name) who said the government HAS paid him to come up with scenarios. That was last week.

ETA: http://usahitman.com/brad-meltzer-%E2%80%9Cdhs-recruited-me-to-write-terror-plots%E2%80%9D/

Kerry
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
When I posted I almost mentioned the Beltway Sniper. I was there during that time and let me tell you, it was scary as hell, particularly since we were still reeling from 911 and the anthrax stuff.

I remember seeing videos of people in DC getting gas practically lying on the ground and reaching up to pump to get the gas, and then crawling back to the drivers door. Other gas station put up giant tarps to shield people getting gas from view. My wife went to Publix today to get milk and no one crawled on their belly to the front door.

kevinpate
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
I remember seeing videos of people in DC getting gas practically lying on the ground and reaching up to pump to get the gas, and then crawling back to the drivers door. Other gas station put up giant tarps to shield people getting gas from view. My wife went to Publix today to get milk and no one crawled on their belly to the front door.

You can find shoppers on their bellys at Super Wal-marts, but usually at 3:00 am. Snipers aren't involved, but shots likely existed a wee bit earlier.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 02:36 PM

Yup. All that happened. It was crazy. The Guardian Angels stood outside some service stations to encourage people to not be afraid (not sure how that would have held back a sniper) but I thought they were being darn gutsy. They had policeofficers standing on overpasses over I95 looking for the "white van" (turns out that was a mistake). I thought those guys were darn gutsy, too - sitting ducks if someone wanted to shoot.

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm one of those who sweat out the State Of The Union address every year (it's tonight, btw). I agree with those who say it's irresponsible in this day and age to put our entire government under one roof at the same time. Can you even imagine the horror of losing the executive, legislative and judicial branch at the same time? That's the president, vice-president, most all of the cabinet (excepting that token one "in case"), all the senators and representatives, most of the Supreme Court. The whole thing needs to be looked at carefully as we shouldn't wait for this ultimate terror attack to actually occur. We would only be asking why, knowing the threat, we continued to do it that way.

Thunder
01-25-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm one of those who sweat out the State Of The Union address every year (it's tonight, btw). I agree with those who say it's irresponsible in this day and age to put our entire government under one roof at the same time. Can you even imagine the horror of losing the executive, legislative and judicial branch at the same time? That's the president, vice-president, most all of the cabinet (excepting that token one "in case"), all the senators and representatives, most of the Supreme Court. The whole thing needs to be looked at carefully as we shouldn't wait for this ultimate terror attack to actually occur. We would only be asking why, knowing the threat, we continued to do it that way.

Despite his rude behavior toward me recently, I am gonna have to agree with this guy. To think of it... I have never even thought of that. Now, to exam it all closely, I do agree that it is too much of a high-risk to have everyone inside one building. I am not sure what can be done to change that.

One thing that really do worries me is that the airports, airliners, employees, and passengers are not truly protected despite the fact of all the securities in place. What I am saying is that a well known pilot can easily snap at one time, may it be business or personal issues, the pilot flying the plane can appear normal and then suddenly fly a plane into a building with little to no warning.

Just like Mike was saying, I would hate to see a pilot of a major airliner just snap due to aggressive disagreement with an elected official and crash the plane into the building with all those elected officials inside. We do not want to lose too many people at once as it will cause massive chaos globally. That is just about the only security that I feel is often overlooked concerning the pilots, because people are just so good at hiding it until the final moments.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I don't think any of us want to see a pilot snap.

Thunder
01-25-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't think any of us want to see a pilot snap.

Me either. Just saying nothing is impossible. Still scary to step into a plane. All the horror stories about employees snapping (not just pilots), it really get us to be thinking.

Kerry
01-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Do you guys have any idea about the amount of security involved in the SOTU speech? Besides, terrorsit have nothing to gain by doing that because most people are not in the government. They could kill every memeber of government and my personal fear level would be pretty small because I don't work for government. However, start targeting a few movie theaters on openeing weekends and that would be a different story. Of course, profiling would take offf big time if that happened so terrorsit have to walk a fine line; instill enough fear without pissing people off enough that we actually get serious about it.

PennyQuilts
01-25-2011, 06:32 PM
Do you guys have any idea about the amount of security involved in the SOTU speech? Besides, terrorsit have nothing to gain by doing that because most people are not in the government. They could kill every memeber of government and my personal fear level would be pretty small because I don't work for government. However, start targeting a few movie theaters on openeing weekends and that would be a different story. Of course, profiling would take offf big time if that happened so terrorsit have to walk a fine line; instill enough fear without pissing people off enough that we actually get serious about it.

As soon as people on a large scale actually feel threatened, the resistence to profiling will go out the window - it will lag far behind the law.

I am surprised they haven't used more people who don't fit the islamic extremist profile, already. But this is so entrenched in the extremist movement that I guess they have less to work with in terms of volunteers. Honestly, I expected a slew of southern Baptist girlfriends innocently carrying bombs on planes when their boyfriends was nice enough to pack for them. But is hasn't happened. Hopefully, it never will.

I am so sick of all this terrorism ****. I wish they'd quit it.

MikeOKC
01-25-2011, 06:49 PM

Hang on....you mean if you saw the screen go blank and found out a terrorist attack on the US Capital building had killed the president, the vice-president, the cabinet, every senator, every member of the house, the Supreme Court, the Joint Chiefs of Staff....you wouldn't feel terrorized????? If not, as your post seems to indicate, it sounds very selfish and frankly, a pretty dramatic lack of patriotism. I would imagine most people would feel a great deal of fear after such a traumatizing event.

And no need for the condescending approach - it's not just me. There are sitting members of both houses of Congress who have advocated going high-tech with the SOTU so everyone is not in the same building at once. Yes, there is obviously a lot of security - but nothing is perfect as we see over and over again all over the world. In fact, former Senator Gary Hart (who warned of a 9/11-like event) admitted that the above scenario is his greatest fear and has advocated making changes to the whole SOTU. Do you realize how many in the security community quietly sweat this night out year after year?

You don't wait for something like this - an obvious target to eliminate the whole of the leadership of the United States government - to actually happen before you discuss and prevent. That way we're not saying, "never again."

HewenttoJared
01-26-2011, 04:02 PM
Truth to this. When I posted I almost mentioned the Beltway Sniper. I was there during that time and let me tell you, it was scary as hell, particularly since we were still reeling from 911 and the anthrax stuff. You thought about whether someone was going to shoot you when you stood at the sink washing dishes. The randomness affected everyone.

Everyone who was bad at math?

HewenttoJared
01-26-2011, 04:03 PM
Me either. Just saying nothing is impossible. Still scary to step into a plane. All the horror stories about employees snapping (not just pilots), it really get us to be thinking.

Cars are much more dangerous.

Kerry
01-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Hang on....you mean if you saw the screen go blank and found out a terrorist attack on the US Capital building had killed the president, the vice-president, the cabinet, every senator, every member of the house, the Supreme Court, the Joint Chiefs of Staff....you wouldn't feel terrorized????? If not, as your post seems to indicate, it sounds very selfish and frankly, a pretty dramatic lack of patriotism. I would imagine most people would feel a great deal of fear after such a traumatizing event."

There would be an initial reaction sure, but it would go away. I worked on the 31st floor of the SunTrust building in Tampa during 9/11. Since I had a window office I kept one eyes on the skies. After word that planes hit multiple targets I wasn't sure how wide-spread things were going to get that day so I picked up my kids from school/daycare and went home. But slowly life returned to normal. Now compare that to the the DC shooters. They killed far fewer people but over a much longer time and instilled far more fear (people literally crawled on the ground to gasoline).

If I had to pick from two scenarios that would scare me more 1) attacking the STOU or 2) attacking movie theaters, I would be much more concerned about attacking movie theaters because I go to movies. A few years ago here in Jax we had the I-295 sniper. He was shooting at cars along I-295. My wife used to I-295 to go to work so I was much more concerned about that. This has actually happened 2 different time on I-295 (back in '92 and again a few years ago).

MikeOKC
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
There would be an initial reaction sure, but it would go away. I worked on the 31st floor of the SunTrust building in Tampa during 9/11. Since I had a window office I kept one eyes on the skies. After word that planes hit multiple targets I wasn't sure how wide-spread things were going to get that day so I picked up my kids from school/daycare and went home. But slowly life returned to normal. Now compare that to the the DC shooters. They killed far fewer people but over a much longer time and instilled far more fear (people literally crawled on the ground to gasoline).

If I had to pick from two scenarios that would scare me more 1) attacking the STOU or 2) attacking movie theaters, I would be much more concerned about attacking movie theaters because I go to movies. A few years ago here in Jax we had the I-295 sniper. He was shooting at cars along I-295. My wife used to I-295 to go to work so I was much more concerned about that. This has actually happened 2 different time on I-295 (back in '92 and again a few years ago).

I guess we're talking about two different things. Personal fear and national fear for our way of life; fear with national security/government stability implications and fear of going to the movies. All the "random" things aren't likely to touch you at all. The chances of someone actually targeting you are about the same as you getting hit by lightning times ten. However, a group successfully bringing down our government in one fell swoop would very much touch your life.

MadMonk
01-27-2011, 03:14 PM
Everyone who was bad at math?

Yeah, everyone who was shot was bad at math. Especially afterward.

Kerry
01-27-2011, 03:31 PM
I guess we're talking about two different things. Personal fear and national fear for our way of life; fear with national security/government stability implications and fear of going to the movies. All the "random" things aren't likely to touch you at all. The chances of someone actually targeting you are about the same as you getting hit by lightning times ten. However, a group successfully bringing down our government in one fell swoop would very much touch your life.

Your comment is probably true for a lot of people but you should read a lot of my other posts. In my opinion the greatest threat to our way of life is our own federal government. If the federal government ceased to exist tonight we have 50 sovereign state governments that are able to control law and order. In fact, just imagine what life would be like if every Congressman, Senator, and Executive Brach official was killed. What would you not be able to do tomorrow? You could get a passport. You could visit a national park. The military would still function. Social Security checks would still go out. The FAA would still be working. Governors or state legislatures would appoint new Congressmen and Senators until special elections were held. Assuming a Senator or Congressman survives (they couldn't all die) the highest ranking one by seniority would assume the Presidency. I think we would make it.

HewenttoJared
01-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Yeah, everyone who was shot was bad at math. Especially afterward.

I meant the being afraid part. Worry about your heart, it's a bajillion times more likely to make a difference.