View Full Version : 5320 Signs around OKC?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

OklahomaNick
01-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Any guesses to what this means?

Their twitter @whatis5320 says they will reveal the answer Feb.15th of this year.
http://twitter.com/Whatis5320
Two guesses after some preliminary research:

The signs look similar to the Devon logo.. hum..

Question 5320 has something to do with the an ATF questionnaire, so I was wondering if this might be a campaign to bring the “Open Carry” law to Oklahoma.

Nevertheless, all still guesses.

Debate!

Urban Enthusiast
01-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Those signs are also all over Tulsa. . . I have been wondering what they are myself.

metro
01-24-2011, 08:28 AM
I was fixing to post the same thing. It does look similar to the Devon logo.

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 08:29 AM
All I've got to say is that if the best your marketing dollars could do is the same tired old "guess who we are" campaign, then you've got no originality in your business plan. Has this ever worked for a company or campaign in the last decade?

metro
01-24-2011, 08:30 AM
All I've got to say is that if the best your marketing dollars could do is the same tired old "guess who we are" campaign, then you've got no originality in your business plan. Has this ever worked for a company or campaign in the last decade?

Yes

OKCMallen

We're talking about it on a message board, aren't we? Id' say that's precisely the type of response they were going for?

You might be too busy being snarky and combative to admit that, though. Don't threadjack with negativity. If OklahomaNick is curious, why can't he be without your jaded opinion?

BBatesokc
Yes

Who?

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 08:33 AM
We're talking about it on a message board, aren't we? Id' say that's precisely the type of response they were going for?

It takes far less than that to get mentioned on an Internet forum.

Rover
01-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Internet boards jump on anything that moves. Shoot, the people who create campaigns like this even often incubate the chatter on the boards and social media themselves...posing as one of us is good entry. The question is does it create positive chatter among the public who is the market. These type campaigns often just annoy people when done ham handedly. I agree that it is a tired old method rarely used by more sophisticated marketers and when they do it is usually very cleverly disguised.

SoonerDave
01-24-2011, 09:06 AM
FWIW, I heard several radio spots for 5320 this morning. Then again, I guess I'm a secretly planted shill for the tired old marketers who were too stupid to think of anything more clever !)

UnFrSaKn
01-24-2011, 09:14 AM
From Facebook.

http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/hs107.snc6/169783_147585038628919_147467225307367_228525_2523 420_o.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=228524&id=147467225307367

BBatesokc
01-24-2011, 09:16 AM
FWIW, I heard several radio spots for 5320 this morning. Then again, I guess I'm a secretly planted shill for the tired old marketers who were too stupid to think of anything more clever !)

I don't doubt for a minute that these campaigns generate some buzz. I mean, as soon as I saw the title for this thread I knew exactly what was being discussed. However, getting people to chit chat about something is a far cry from the campaign generating enough revenue to cover the campaign cost, generate good will and make a profit.

FritterGirl
01-24-2011, 11:22 AM
I'd love to say that it's the name of a new restaurant or club concept (5320 North Western, for example), but if so, they are putting insome MAJOR bucks in marketing.

I doubt a political movement/campaign would be on beer coasters (http://plixi.com/p/71580425)... but who knows?

It's got to be something pretty dang cool and exciting to start generating this kind of buzz.

earlywinegareth
01-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Egads! It's just like driving behind someone with an ambiguous vanity plate only he/she understands. Really? You spent extra money for a joke only you get? Oops, I seem to have gotten off topic, sorry...

onthestrip
01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
The last time I remember this type of promotion being done in OKC was for St Anthonys ER. I obviously have no idea how successful it was

Steve
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
I do recall the now late Mark Shannon commenting how bizarre it was for him to see "The End is Near" sign as he was in his last weeks of life.

OKCisOK4me
01-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Their website says to check back on February 15th for details.

okc_bel_air
01-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Could it have anything to do with the Oklahoma Health Improvement Plan? In their statistics they state that 5320 lives a year would be saved by living healthier.

http://www.ok.gov/health/documents/OHIP-viewing.pdf

FritterGirl
01-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Could it have anything to do with the Oklahoma Health Improvement Plan? In their statistics they state that 5320 lives a year would be saved by living healthier.

You may be on to something.

It's certainly in line with a tweet I saw by the @whatis5820 twitter account in response to another tweeter.

The tweeter asked: "5320 miles of sidewalks?"

@whatis5320 replied: "No, but you're getting warmer. Lives will be changed."

Interesting.

lasomeday
01-24-2011, 02:27 PM
I bet it is a new church.

SkyWestOKC
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
You may be on to something.

It's certainly in line with a tweet I saw by the @whatis5820 twitter account in response to another tweeter.

The tweeter asked: "5320 miles of sidewalks?"

@whatis5320 replied: "You're getting warmer."

Interesting.
Except for this is 5320, not 5820.

kevinpate
01-24-2011, 02:35 PM

Unless it is all one huge PSA to fill otherwise dead space, I hope it isn't govt. backed. Not in light of yet another multi-hundred million projected funding shortfall for the coming FY, let alone the existing one where a big chunk of the shortage was made up by sending workers home from 1-4 days a month on unpaid leave

FritterGirl
01-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Except for this is 5320, not 5820.Typo schmypo. Corrected.

MikeOKC
01-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Tim Berney knows. As does Steven Schwartz, Steve Sturges and Shannon Porter. Not to mention probably most everyone else at VI Marketing & Branding (http://thevibrand.com/) (Visual Image). They are the agency behind the campaign. (http://whois.domaintools.com/5320ok.com) Guys, private registration, private registration, private registration - it's about $8 extra per domain name. It's worth it for people to not know who's behind the ad campaign; makes the mystery more mysterious.

Kerry
01-24-2011, 04:06 PM
5,320 feet is the length of the soon-to-be announced street course in the adventure district.

just a guess

FritterGirl
01-24-2011, 04:10 PM
street course? Is this racing?

Kerry
01-24-2011, 04:16 PM
street course? Is this racing?

The Oklahoma City Grand Prix that will start in July 2012. I am just guessing though.

http://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/article-7047-grand-prix-may-race-through-citys-adventure-district.html

FritterGirl
01-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmmmm..... I may just have to make a phone call or two tomorrow...

EBAH
01-24-2011, 05:02 PM
I bet it is a new church.

HAHAHA, yeah, that would be about right

dankrutka
01-24-2011, 05:12 PM
It takes far less than that to get mentioned on an Internet forum.

Ghost Advertising in Automobile Alley had a similar campaign and it got me curious enough to find who it was. I never would have noticed them otherwise... Besides, the mystery is fun.

Thunder
01-24-2011, 09:04 PM
I saw those signs in Yukon today. Unlike what Brian was saying.... The signs are interesting and of a mystery. That is exactly what they wanted to happen... for people to start the buzz everywhere. It is the kind of marketing fun for people to discuss their creative ideas.

Since it is all over Oklahoma and not just one localized area, it is something that will impact the entire state. Initially, I was thinking it is a Senate Bill while driving past them, but there was no B in it and now I learned it is the number 5 instead of the letter S.

I honestly have no clue, but at this time, I am only guessing that it is the amount of Oklahoman citizens going to win something.

metro
01-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Tin foil hats

Snowman
01-24-2011, 10:07 PM
The last time I remember this type of promotion being done in OKC was for St Anthonys ER. I obviously have no idea how successful it was

The thing I have a hard time with is seeing advertising for their ER doing much good, you don't go their unless you have an emergency and are close to begin with. Advertising will not change that. Unless your reputation is so terrible people are just passing you go to other hospitals and you just replaced your building and/or staff what does it really do?

Larry OKC
01-24-2011, 10:19 PM
I did run across something recently that there is a state law that prohibits cities from erecting bleachers in the right of way or something like that which would have been a problem for the Grand Prix or other race. Will see if I can locate it again (was brought up in last weeks Council meeting I think).

dankrutka
01-24-2011, 11:38 PM
The thing I have a hard time with is seeing advertising for their ER doing much good, you don't go their unless you have an emergency and are close to begin with. Advertising will not change that. Unless your reputation is so terrible people are just passing you go to other hospitals and you just replaced your building and/or staff what does it really do?

Yeah, but when I get stabbed I'm going to scream at the ambulance driver to take me St. Anthony's because of their mystery campaign!!!

Larry OKC
01-25-2011, 12:20 AM
5320 is both the number of zombies and number of new retailers going in at the Crossroads Mall/Oklahoma Market Place...lol

CaseyCornett
01-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Take it what for it's worth - There are little "stick in the ground" political-type signs with this 5320 logo all around the Wedge Pizzeria on Western and they even have coasters in their restaurant with that "5320" logo on it...

BG918
01-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Take it what for it's worth - There are little "stick in the ground" political-type signs with this 5320 logo all around the Wedge Pizzeria on Western and they even have coasters in their restaurant with that "5320" logo on it...

The signs are all over Tulsa, so I don't think it's just limited to an OKC business unless they are expanding in both OKC and Tulsa. The signs have been seen in Norman and Yukon, and even Duncan...

Kerry
01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
You guys have not been to an emergency room lately have you. 99.99% of the people there are not in a life threating situation. The last time I went to the emergency room I burned my hand. Since it was small burn and treatment wasn't difficult, I just went to the one closest to my home. However, that was back when I only had a $50 co-pay. Now I have a $7,500 deductable so you can bet your backside that I will be making a few phone calls comparing prices before I get in the car. When my mom broke her hip the ambulance driver asked her which hospital she wanted to be taken to.

BDP
01-25-2011, 08:52 AM
I did run across something recently that there is a state law that prohibits cities from erecting bleachers in the right of way or something like that which would have been a problem for the Grand Prix or other race. Will see if I can locate it again (was brought up in last weeks Council meeting I think).

That's interesting. Don't they do this for the memorial marathon?

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 09:00 AM
You guys have not been to an emergency room lately have you. 99.99% of the people there are not in a life threating situation. The last time I went to the emergency room I burned my hand. Since it was small burn and treatment wasn't difficult, I just went to the one closest to my home. However, that was back when I only had a $50 co-pay. Now I have a $7,500 deductable so you can bet your backside that I will be making a few phone calls comparing prices before I get in the car. When my mom broke her hip the ambulance driver asked her which hospital she wanted to be taken to.

Hospital marketing does have its benefits. I was a marketing manager for Children's and University Hospital for some time when they were a state facility. When we were given a marketing budget we went from being perceived as the "gangbanger shooting drop off hospital" to being recognized as one of the top hospitals in the country. We also saw an increase in the number of insured patients.

OKCisOK4me
01-25-2011, 09:12 AM
5320 is 6.26 times taller than what the Devon Tower will be, lol.

SoonerDave
01-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Oh, great, more from the how-to-live-your-life police.

cjohnson.405
01-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Who?

Segway

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Segway

If you are talking about the hype surrounding the unveiling of the Segway I'd argue that was not the same type of marketing. Sure they were secretive until the unveiling, but so is every major car manufacturer and companies like Apple. Not the same thing.

As for the Segway launch - it was a dismal failure that was retold by numerous outlets. It was launched in the end 2001 and by 2003 the largest bulk order for single user was Disney, who bought a mere 4 dozen for all its parks and cruise ships. Sure you see more around now, but nowhere close to the 'revolution' the inventor, investors and marketing gurus predicted. (that said, its on my list of things to buy some day)

swilki
01-25-2011, 09:56 AM
For what its worth - the 5320 logo shows up on the OKC Barons (www.okcbarons.com) homepage and not as an ad. It is located in the scrolling news feed next to the calendar. Just happened to stumble across it this morning.

Kerry
01-25-2011, 10:02 AM
You ask a difficult question Brian. It is hard to remember what was marketed to us on the sly, which I think is one of the goals. There is an advertising campaign on ESPN right now and they never say who or what the product is.

lasomeday
01-25-2011, 10:03 AM
http://www.5320ok.com/

It has church written all over it! I am placing bets on it being a new religion that is going to sweep the plains!

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 10:06 AM
5320 also is showing up as a pic post on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oklahoma-Fit-Kids-Coalition/144434545590274

Kerry
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
http://www.5320ok.com/

It has church written all over it! I am placing bets on it being a new religion that is going to sweep the plains!

They went through the effort of taking .net and .org also

metro
01-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Could it have anything to do with a state question to vote on liquor sales in grocery stores?

As to those sayings it's a church, I don't see the tie in, and as mentioned this is a statewide campaign, I doubt a startup church or even a large existing church would be spending hundreds of thousands on a marketing campaign.

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
They went through the effort of taking .net and .org also

Kinda looks like something one of the mega churches would produce. If it is a church, then this sort of chatter might have some measurable results. But I don't get the advertising outside of OKC if its an OKC mega church.

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Could it have anything to do with a state question to vote on liquor sales in grocery stores?

As to those sayings it's a church, I don't see the tie in, and as mentioned this is a statewide campaign, I doubt a startup church or even a large existing church would benspending hundreds of thousands on a marketing campaign.

In general I agree.

FritterGirl
01-25-2011, 10:33 AM
A few more hints from their twitter feed:

"Look for #5320 all over the state."

In reply to @OKfitds "Nice." <-- @okfitkids had linked a 5320 logo to their fb page, so there may be a correlation here. Just a guess.

I tweeted them last night asking if the @okcparks trails and amenities would assist in their endeavor. They replied: "You're getting warm." This was a similar response to another tweeter who asked about the 5320 miles of sidewalks.

Will definitely be interesting to see when it's revealed. I'm leaning towards the health initiative, which while state sponsored, looks like it's being funded with PRIVATE dollars, especially given that they claim this will benefit people all over the STATE, not just in OKC.

It COULD be a restaurant (which was my initial guess upon seeing the signs outside The Wedge - as in 5320 North Western?), but I don't know of any local restaurant that has this much money in its operating budget to launch a media campaign quite of this scope and scale.

FWIW, Visual Image does have the Smoke-Free Oklahoma Campaign, which is funded through the Oklahoma Tobacco Settlement Endowment Trust, so there's a tie-in there as well. http://www.vimarketingandbranding.com/industries.php?iid=1

okc_bel_air
01-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I really think it has to do with the Oklahoma Health Improvement Plan. They are hinting to much at health related items....Fit Kids facebook page, sidewalks, etc....

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I'm actually leaning towards a health initiative if I had to vote right now. That would apply state wide.

i hope so anyway. At least that is something I can get behind. The wife and I have been pretty health conscious for awhile now.

cjohnson.405
01-25-2011, 12:36 PM
If you are talking about the hype surrounding the unveiling of the Segway I'd argue that was not the same type of marketing. Sure they were secretive until the unveiling, but so is every major car manufacturer and companies like Apple. Not the same thing.

As for the Segway launch - it was a dismal failure

Launch is different from the hype. This topic is just on hype.

And the Segway hype was very similar. The mysterious machine that would "change the world" (whether it did or not is irrelevant) was only known because of leaks by the company that built it. Were the mechanics different? Sure. There were no Segway billboards or drink coasters. But, the method was the same.

Your original question was basically - "Who uses this tired methodology anymore?" Segway. They released "leaks" about the product. It was picked up and hyped by the media. There was a promise of a future date for the reveal.

The mechanics of 5320 hype are different but the methodology is the same. 1) Make it known, 2) get people talking about "it"...whatever "it" is, 3) release mysterious leaks, 4) set a date in the future when we'll all find out about it.

And, thank you for providing more examples like the Apple iPad.

BBatesokc
01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Launch is different from the hype. This topic is just on hype.

And the Segway hype was very similar. The mysterious machine that would "change the world" (whether it did or not is irrelevant) was only known because of leaks by the company that built it. Were the mechanics different? Sure. There were no Segway billboards or drink coasters. But, the method was the same.

Your original question was basically - "Who uses this tired methodology anymore?" Segway. They released "leaks" about the product. It was picked up and hyped by the media. There was a promise of a future date for the reveal.

The mechanics of 5320 hype are different but the methodology is the same. 1) Make it known, 2) get people talking about "it"...whatever "it" is, 3) release mysterious leaks, 4) set a date in the future when we'll all find out about it.

And, thank you for providing more examples like the Apple iPad.

As you even quoted me, I said "anymore" - The Segway release was in December of 2001.

Two, your example of the Segway release just reinforces my claim that these types of marketing techniques produce chatter but not sales (which is what the Segway marketing was supposed to do). Since we don't know what 5320 is we can't know what their goal is yet. But, if its to sell a tangible product I predict it will fall short. If its a health initiative or ideal then it might see some success.

Furthermore, keeping a new product secret until release is in no way the same as an intentional marketing campaign to get the public to guess the product. Sorry, but it isn't.

Kerry
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Segway did change the world. Your iPad and iPhone uses Segway technology.

kevinpate
01-25-2011, 12:57 PM
I can see it being a Church roll-out.

New Testament, 5th book = Acts
Acts 3:20, under the Contemporary English Version (CEV) is worded:
Then that time will come when the Lord will give you fresh strength. He will send you Jesus, his chosen Messiah.