View Full Version : Oklahoma City's Wikipedia Skyline Photo!

G.Walker
01-20-2011, 02:28 PM
Whoever uploaded that hideous skyline pic of Oklahoma City on Wikipedia, please take it down...I know there are better recent pictures of the Oklahoma City skyline, come one people we need to portray a better image than that, I know someone on here has a better skyline pic?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City

SkyWestOKC
01-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Please please please. That's hideous.

Doug Loudenback
01-20-2011, 02:38 PM
I think that Metro did it.

J/K :dizzy:

G.Walker
01-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Anyone can upload a photo, as long as its their photo, or own the rights to the photo, I mean I am not a photographer or anything, but I know a good picture when I see one...just sayin..

Spartan
01-20-2011, 03:00 PM
Why bother? I think someone changes it every week, or at least it's always different when I try and use that page to check some numbers..

dankrutka
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Why bother? I think someone changes it every week, or at least it's always different when I try and use that page to check some numbers..

Why bother? Because it is probably the number one place people go to learn more about OKC. I think it would be worthwhile for someone to make a habit of checking the site and posting a great picture when something like this goes up... Anyone know how to edit wikipedia? Also, post some pictures in this thread that we should put up...

adaniel
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Why bother? Because it is probably the number one place people go to learn more about OKC. I think it would be worthwhile for someone to make a habit of checking the site and posting a great picture when something like this goes up... Anyone know how to edit wikipedia? Also, post some pictures in this thread that we should put up...

Exactly. JMHO, but that whole OKC entry is nothing to be impressed with, compared to other mid sized cities (see Omaha or Indy for a good one).

dankrutka
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Well, I don't have much else to do this afternoon so I'm figuring out how to edit on wikipedia. I asked swilki (see Devon Tower thread) if I could use the picture that he posted a few days ago...

G.Walker
01-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Well, I don't have much else to do this afternoon so I'm figuring out how to edit on wikipedia. I asked swilki (see Devon Tower thread) if I could use the picture that he posted a few days ago...

I think you have to register with wikipedia to do any editing, but if you click pic it will take you to editing and upload page for that particular pic...

circuitboard
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Not true, I edit wiki all the time, with no registering.

I love to taunt the Tulsan who edits the BOK tower wiki. They keep taking off the part I add, that mentions when the Devon tower is complete, it will be the tallest. They HATE ME!! :)

dankrutka
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Not true, I edit wiki all the time, with no registering.

I love to taunt the Tulsan who edits the BOK tower wiki. They keep taking off the part I add, that mentions when the Devon tower is complete, it will be the tallest. They HATE ME!! :)

Yeah. I would too if you were doing that.

UnFrSaKn
01-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Just noticed this new thread. I thought that photo was a screen capture from my latest video, but it's a similar picture posted on here a few months ago. I like the one from the video personally.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j286/UnFrSaKn/Downtown%20OKC/okcskyline1-13-11.jpg

Dustin
01-20-2011, 04:57 PM
^^^ Wow! They're almost identical. You should upload that one.

UnFrSaKn
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
^^^ Wow! They're almost identical. You should upload that one.

Ideally, it would be in Spring or Summer but it will have to wait.

dankrutka
01-20-2011, 05:05 PM
That picture (and the one life it) looks good when it's full size, but the smaller version has too much space... A closer picture (like the one from the Devon Tower) thread make downtown look a lot more dense...

UnFrSaKn
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
That picture (and the one life it) looks good when it's full size, but the smaller version has too much space... A closer picture (like the one from the Devon Tower) thread make downtown look a lot more dense...

I left space near the top for clouds, but they turned hazy on video.

UnFrSaKn
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
http://okchomesellers.com/oklahoma-city-history/oklahoma-city-skyline-1972-oklahoma-city-historical-postcards/

This postcard is from 1972 showing the Oklahoma City skyline from the east, looking west, on I-40. The skyline itself is not too unchanged at this point (minus the Murrah Building). Bricktown has been developed and the highways you see here have been replaced. It would be great to have a current one to compare.

http://okchomesellers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/OklahomaCitySkyline1972.jpg

Kerry
01-20-2011, 07:55 PM
I love the broken down car in the post card. Nothing says classy like a broken down car on the freeway.

KayneMo
01-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Was the SandRidge Tower being constructed in the postcard photo?

SOONER8693
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
http://okchomesellers.com/oklahoma-city-history/oklahoma-city-skyline-1972-oklahoma-city-historical-postcards/

It would be great to have a current one to compare.

http://okchomesellers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/OklahomaCitySkyline1972.jpgI see the Biltmore, but, I don't see the Murrah Building. Was it even built in 1972?

dmoor82
01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Was the SandRidge Tower being constructed in the postcard photo?

^^Looks like it,and The OK tower and Leadership have yet to be constructed as well!

dankrutka
01-20-2011, 10:28 PM
I love the broken down car in the post card. Nothing says classy like a broken down car on the freeway.

Classy people don't have their cars break down? Nice to know...

ljbab728
01-20-2011, 11:39 PM
I see the Biltmore, but, I don't see the Murrah Building. Was it even built in 1972?

The Murrah building wasn't built until 1977 but I don't think you would have been able see it from that viewpoint anyway.

Larry OKC
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM

May not be broken down (could be the photographers car and that is where he parked, then walked to find the best vantage point to take the picture).

bombermwc
01-21-2011, 06:56 AM
I can't even think of where that person is standing! It's too far and on the wrong side of several buildings for the 235 junction, but it doesn't make sense with the old 40 ft smith junction. Is that the old Reno Ave bridge on the right???

adaniel
01-21-2011, 08:13 AM
I can't even think of where that person is standing! It's too far and on the wrong side of several buildings for the 235 junction, but it doesn't make sense with the old 40 ft smith junction. Is that the old Reno Ave bridge on the right???

It seems about right to me. The bridge that goes over what I'm guessing is I-40 westbound was the old exit ramp from 35 north to 40 west. 235 (or Cenntenial Expressway as I've heard old timers call it) wasn't built until the late 80's I believe. That exit ramp is now roughly the same location as the southbound lanes of 235.

Would you expect anything else from a 70's era American car?

dcsooner
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Not sure why every one is dismayed at the picture of DT OKC. DT OKC is relatively sparse in terms of tall buildings, old, with most of the high rise buildings having been built circa 1970's, whichi means boxy and plain. DT OKC has a long way to go to be photogenic

Chicken In The Rough
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Is Harold Hamm our only notable resident?

okcpulse
01-21-2011, 10:14 AM
I have reason to believe that the Oklahoma City wikipedia page is half-assed and out of date in some respects.

Kerry
01-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Does anyone want to tackle the job of writing a new Oklahoma City Wikipedia page? It needs so much help it would probably be better to replace the whole thing.

G.Walker
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
I nominate Spartan, to update and post new photos...

G.Walker
01-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Or Steve maybe?

OKCisOK4me
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
It seems about right to me. The bridge that goes over what I'm guessing is I-40 westbound was the old exit ramp from 35 north to 40 west. 235 (or Cenntenial Expressway as I've heard old timers call it) wasn't built until the late 80's I believe. That exit ramp is now roughly the same location as the southbound lanes of 235.

At 32, I guess I'm an old timer, since that's what I call it, lol. Also, there's a sign coming down 235 just south of 44 that says Centennial Expressway.

I have reason to believe that the Oklahoma City wikipedia page is half-assed and out of date in some respects.

NO DOUBT! For example, "Districts". It lists only two. What about Western Avenue, Automobile Alley? Just to name two...

TheTravellers
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM

That one might still be there, I see lots of cars on the side of the Hefner Parkway for some strange reason...

TheTravellers
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

Has anyone here ever called OKC "The Brick Ditch" (or heard it called that)? That was one of the nicknames on that page, but it's been replaced by "The Big Friendly". Absolutely nobody I know anywhere has called it that, ever (or "The Big Friendly", for that matter). Maybe an old nickname that's fallen out of favor?

adaniel
01-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Has anyone here ever called OKC "The Brick Ditch" (or heard it called that)? That was one of the nicknames on that page, but it's been replaced by "The Big Friendly". Absolutely nobody I know anywhere has called it that, ever (or "The Big Friendly", for that matter). Maybe an old nickname that's fallen out of favor?

That was something the CVB/Chamber of Commerce cooked up a couple of years back, maybe after the Hornets relocation after Katrina. Personally it makes me cringe. Not because I think that people here aren't friendly. People here are very nice, but we have our share of jack*sses just like everywhere else. All it takes is for some out of town vistior to have a bad run in with someone and suddenly OKC is fodder material for being mocked.

How this relates to the wikipedia page, I have heard it used in a couple of Oklahoman editorials. Then again a certain sports writer is the only one who calls the Thunder the "Boomers", so take it for what its worth. OKC, the 405, "The City" are all widely used.

swilki
01-21-2011, 04:36 PM
I went ahead and made the change. Wikipedia doesn't make it very easy to change pictures IMO. Also removed the "Big Friendly" nickname. Who uses that?

Anyway, if someone has a better pic go and ahead and remove mine.

G.Walker
01-21-2011, 06:07 PM
pic looks good to me, but needs to be "licensed" or it will be removed...that is what it said...

UnFrSaKn
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Still not a fan of that view of the buildings on top of each other and all the same size. The average person won't know one building from another.

UnFrSaKn
01-21-2011, 06:22 PM
I went ahead and made the change. Wikipedia doesn't make it very easy to change pictures IMO. Also removed the "Big Friendly" nickname. Who uses that?

Anyway, if someone has a better pic go and ahead and remove mine.

OKC Arena is still "Ford Center".

swilki
01-21-2011, 08:04 PM
pic looks good to me, but needs to be "licensed" or it will be removed...that is what it said...

fixed

Bunty
01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Does anyone want to tackle the job of writing a new Oklahoma City Wikipedia page? It needs so much help it would probably be better to replace the whole thing.

Yeah, that's what finally recently happened to the Stillwater Wiki page. It made for an astonishing improvement, compared to what little was on there before.

dankrutka
01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Let's not wait for one person to get this going, but let's all pitch in and start making changes. We should also alert interested parties to makes positive changes to things related to their self-interest (e.g. the Plaza District should add to that part of the page...)...

jmarkross
01-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Yeah, that's what finally recently happened to the Stillwater Wiki page. It made for an astonishing improvement, compared to what little was on there before.

The Stillwater page is quite impressive...very nice...

Dustin
01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Stillwater and Norman have improved greatly!

poe
01-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Excellent pictures on the Stillwater page!