View Full Version : Have any of you fatties tried the Couch to 5 K running plan?

Caboose
01-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Any luck?
I am not very fat, but can probably stand to lose about 25 pounds.
I just completed Week 5 Day 2.
Observations:

I probably could have skipped weeks 1 through 3, as they werent challenging at all from where I started. Although I realize some people might have difficulty with even Day 1 depending on how out of shape they are.

Found the largest leap in difficulty so far to be between Week 3 Day 3 and Week 4 Day 1.

Although it isn't specifically meant to lose weight, rather to get you to be able to run 5k (roughly 3 miles) without stopping... I assumed I would see results on the scale as a by product but so far I really haven't. But I am only 5 weeks in so maybe advances will come in by the end of the program (week 9).

Any one else have any experience with it?

Eep
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Although it isn't specifically meant to lose weight, rather to get you to be able to run 5k (roughly 3 miles) without stopping... I assumed I would see results on the scale as a by product but so far I really haven't. But I am only 5 weeks in so maybe advances will come in by the end of the program (week 9).

Any one else have any experience with it?
(IMO) it's a very well-designed program to do exactly what it advertises: get someone who hasn't been running at all to a point where they can run 5K without stopping. I've used it on multiple occasions to build up an initial base when coming back from injuries.

As you point out though, it isn't a weight loss program. Look at the numbers: the grand finale here is that you run 3.1 miles. That will burn roughly 250-300 calories. Let's assume that the extra exercise doesn't just make you hungrier and cause you to up your intake to compensate. Your 3 days per week of the program will burn 750-900 calories per week. There are ~3500 calories in a pound of fat, so it will take you 3.88 to 4.67 weeks to lose one pound of fat this way.

When it comes down to it, losing fat at any appreciable rate of speed is about what you (don't) eat.

bandnerd
01-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Started it, currently stalled by injury. It isn't a weight-loss program, as the above poster explained you just don't burn enough calories. However, it's a good program and with my iPhone app for it, it's easy to follow. I ran the Turkey Trot and hope to run 3 5K's this year, once I am no longer injured.

Adjust your diet, do some heavy strength training a couple of times a week in addition to it and you'll see some results physically.