View Full Version : Joan Gilmore's disappointed with the inaugural dinner and ball

TheTravellers
01-17-2011, 12:07 PM
http://journalrecord.com/2011/01/12/around-town-food-decor-win-kudos-opinion/

So I'm not the one griping about OK this time, it's Joan Gilmore, she's got quite a few digs in there, some more noticeable than others. :congrats:

Not really posting this specifically as a swipe at OK, but wondering (for the umpteenth time) why we can't do things the way they should be done? Why can't the inaugural ball committee figure these things out, it's not the first one they've done, it's not as if they were surprised at when it was, the number of guests, etc. It's just frustrating as there's a world of difference between laid-back, slow-paced, etc. and just plain bad or wrong or incompetent. Do other state's inaugural balls have these problems, I wonder? And no, this has no impact on me personally, but I believe is a symptom of something larger in the whole OK environment (although it could be nationwide, I don't know). And yes, I know, I should pick my battles and this might not be worth fighting, but just wanted to get some evidence out there that I'm not the only one frustrated by this kind of half-a**ed stuff... Guess I could email or call the inaugural ball planning committee to see if they have any explanations. :bright_id

metro
01-17-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm more disappointed Joan Gilmore is our authority on all things fashion and etiquette

BBatesokc
01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
I find it funny she thought it was appropriate to leave her residence for a 7pm dinner service at 6:40pm. I don't attend such highfalutin affairs very often and even I would have left no later than 6pm.

betts
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I would have planned ahead and been there early, were I Joan Gilmore. If you arrive precisely on time at any location that has one small entrance requiring traversing through a parking lot there is going to be a wait. People are getting out in ball gowns and unfamiliar shoes. It's going to take awhile, and anyone who thinks otherwise isn't realistic, nor is it unique to Oklahoma. Did she think she was going to get an open bar for $125? Maybe the planners didn't want a bunch of people who'd had too much wine at the inauguration. Sounds like the food and decorations were excellent. I believe I read that the inauguration was beyond sold out and so perhaps they should have been better at saying "no" to the people wanting to register late to go to the ball. If there were people sitting in her seat, she should have talked to to the people handing out seat assignments and had them help. To be honest, she sounds like someone who expects star treatment and complains when she doesn't get it.

Twenty years ago I spent $1000 to have a "dinner with Baryshnikov" courtesy of the OKC Ballet. They sold too many tickets and we and our table ended up sitting in some back room at the Waterford where we couldn't even see him, eating cold Russian food. It was for a good cause, and we all managed to get a laugh out of everything. I think our entire table had fun, even if we didn't even see Baryshnikov, much less have dinner with him.

Easy180
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
I find it funny she thought it was appropriate to leave her residence for a 7pm dinner service at 6:40pm. I don't attend such highfalutin affairs very often and even I would have left no later than 6pm.

Like heading to an OU game a half hour before kickoff and bitching about the traffic

kevinpate
01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Don't know the lady. Don't tend to attend gussy up affairs for politicos, or other folk for that matter.
However, were this my cup of tea, I would of started out a fair bit earlier than she chose to launch herself, even if I was bunked up at the lil' motel right up the hill.

6:40 is an ok time for already inside and thinking about taking your seat time on a 7:00 whistle stop event.
Sure, the Gov. and her fella can make a fashionably late entrance and that's fine, person of the hour and all that, but the admirers ought to at least arrange to be in the building, and not merely leaving home, when you're ticking down to 7.

Others may differ, and that's fine.

onthestrip
01-17-2011, 04:22 PM
From what I was told by one of the attendees was that the food was great (filet, halibut), they had unlimited wine (Rombauer) and it seemed to be an overall good time. Maybe he had a better table. But seeing how old this lady and how this cant be her first large dinner/event to go to, she should have definitely planned to arrive sooner.

Meaculpa
01-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I didn't go. But was at the Skirvin that night. After the inaugural dinner and ball many attendees were showing up at the Skirivin. They all seemed like they had a good time.

I just wish it would have been an inauguration for Askins!

Peace...

jdcf
01-18-2011, 10:55 AM
i just wish it would have been an inauguration for askins!

i agree with that sentiment!

earlywinegareth
01-18-2011, 11:11 AM
I find it appalling that people of privelige gripe about anything. Reminds me of the time I was waiting in line to take the tender boat from my cruise ship to Grand Cayman. This guy behind me was complaining loudly about how slow the process seemed to be taking when his wife turned to him and said, "honey, you're on a vacation in paradise, please STFU."

OKCTalker
01-18-2011, 11:52 AM
I find it appalling that people of privelige gripe about anything."

Joan Gilmore isn't, She's a local reporter. You're thinking that reporters have affluence because Lois Lane in "Superman" lived in a Manhattan penthouse apartment on Central Park.

TheTravellers
01-18-2011, 01:09 PM
From what I was told by one of the attendees was that the food was great (filet, halibut), they had unlimited wine (Rombauer) and it seemed to be an overall good time. Maybe he had a better table. But seeing how old this lady and how this cant be her first large dinner/event to go to, she should have definitely planned to arrive sooner.

Yeah, she was boneheaded for not leaving way earlier, and apparently tons of other folks pulled the same boneheadedness... Wonder what the deal with the wine was, she said only 2 bottles per table, and I did realize that she mentioned a cash bar which would've been one reason for no more than 2 bottles of wine per table (maximize the bar tab, don't give it away for free)... She did give props where they were due, though, to the food and decor. I third meaculpa's sentiment, FWIW.