View Full Version : Norman Needs a Macy's

dismayed
01-16-2011, 11:14 AM
With the closure of the Macy's in Crossroads mall over a year ago the entire south end of the metropolitan area has found itself lacking a Macy's, and the metro as a whole lost its only Macy's with a home and furniture department.

If it isn't already happening I think Norman should be actively trying to get Macy's to open a store here. Perhaps in University North Park. I think eventually they are going to relocate somewhere and if the developers and city are not pro-active it is going to be developed in Moore.

Easy180
01-16-2011, 11:25 AM
That would be nice to have in either city...Would be a huge win for Moore if they can land it instead of Norman but I'm not sure if there is room next to Target

Soonerman
01-16-2011, 12:29 PM
I think Macy's was suppose to go in to UNP in the lifestyle center if they ever get it built. Macy's would be a very nice add to Norman especially if it's got furniture. I'm surprised Macy's hasn't at least opened a furniture gallery somewhere in the metro.

Spartan
01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
Macy's will take one look at UNP and pass.

jdcf
01-18-2011, 10:48 AM
Not a fan of Macy's, period... Quality is just not there. Compare number of shoppers between Dillard's and Macy's at either Penn Square or Quail Springs. I would bet that Dillards has many more customers.

I can see Belk at UNP.

soonerliberal
01-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Macy's has three tiers of stores. I'm pretty sure both of the stores are unfortunately only in the first tier.

jdcf
01-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the info about Macy's tiers. It is a shame that at the supposed premier mall in Oklahoma, the Macy's store is low end. I do not know however where there are any Macy's stores that are any better, at least not in TX nor DC area.

A fun read is at fieldsfanschicago.org/blog. These folk are diehards about the Macy's takeover of regional department stores, and in this case, particularly Marshall Field.

I agree that south OKC/Moore/Norman lack shopping choices. (Frankly, the whole metro does. There is Dillards and then there is Dillards.) I really would like to see Belk at UNP or Sooner Mall - also an expansion or relocation of Dillards at Sooner Mall. The planned Belk for Edmond is on hold I guess.

Swake2
01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought when I lived in Norman 15-20 years ago there was Foley’s at Sooner Fashion Mall? How did that not become a Macy’s or is my memory faulty?

Belk stores are crappy, and tiny. At least the ones in Tulsa are. Like a slightly more upscale Kohls and probably not as big as Kohls. Belk stores are nowhere close to being like Dillard’s or Macy’s. I have no idea how those stores stay in business. They are terrible and there are never more than a few cars parked outside of them.

All Oklahoma Macy’s stores are not the same. The one at Promenade in Tulsa and the one at Woodland are very different stores. Both are big enough to have furniture but don’t really carry the same brands throughout the stores at all. The Macy’s at Promenade really is a notch below Dillard’s while I would say the one at Woodland is better than Dillard’s. Both are much larger stores than the Macy’s at Quail Springs. The one at Woodland might even be double the size. I can’t recall ever going to the Macy’s at Penn Square so I can’t comment on that store. The Promenade Macy’s is never going to be any kind of high end destination store seeing as it’s only three miles from Sak’s and Miss Jackson’s at Utica. If you have money in midtown and want to shop at an upscale department store Macy’s is not where you are going, or Promenade for that matter.

If Macy’s has three tiers, than Woodland is a tier 2 store and Promenade is a tier 3, I don’t know how size figures into the tiers unless you are talking the more flagships stores in big cities.

soonerliberal
01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
If Macy’s has three tiers, than Woodland is a tier 2 store and Promenade is a tier 3, I don’t know how size figures into the tiers unless you are talking the more flagships stores in big cities.

Generally when determining the tiers, you look at the merchandise sold. For example, a top tier store at a mall with a Neiman Marcus or Saks will have much higher-end brands than a lower or middle tier store in a mall with a JcPenney or Lord and Taylor.

kevinpate
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
swake2, the only Foley's I can recall in south part of the greater metro was at Crossroads, and it did become a Macy's, and then it went away.

dismayed
01-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Yeah. For example it is clear from looking over Macy's website that some of their stores carry a lot more Calvin Klein or brands that they don't have at our stores such as Seven for All Mankind. Good luck finding that in Oklahoma stores.