View Full Version : The NBA's haunted hotel - OKC Skirvin (yahoo news)

bradzilla
01-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Oklahoma City is one of the least liked road trips in the NBA, both because of the young Thunder and the typical accommodations in town. No, NBA teams don't spend their nights at a Super 8 but they do occasionally have to contend with ghosts.

The Skirvin Hotel in OKC pays home to visiting NBA teams regularly. It also is rumored to house spirits from another world. Josh Robbins has more for the Orlando Sentinel:

"Yeah, I was scared the last time I stayed there," Magic power forward Brandon Bass(notes) admitted.

The legend says many decades ago, the owner of the hotel, William Skirvin, had an affair with a maid that resulted in a pregnancy. Supposedly, the woman was locked in a top-floor room, grew despondent and eventually jumped out a window with the baby in her arms.

The ghost stories don't stop Rodney Powell, the Magic's operations manager, from booking reservations for the team at the hotel. "You can't go wrong when 28 or so of the other NBA teams stay there," Powell said in the Magic's locker room before Thursday night's game.

The hotel has become famous over the past three seasons, most notably for a Craig Sager feature during last season's playoffs that terrified most with its images of the reporter's thighs. But, as Powell says, each NBA team deals with the Skirvin, so it can't be that bad.

Yet it's still an issue that some players struggle with, including Bass. So Magic coach Stan Van Gundy has a great idea to make everything better. From the same piece:

Magic coach Stan Van Gundy is a man who takes a scientific approach to basketball, often relying on statistics to confirm or dispel his theories. Not surprisingly, he doesn't believe the rumors either.

"I don't buy into any of it," he said about 90 minutes before Thursday's tipoff at the Ford Center. "What haunts me are guys like Kevin Durant(notes). So, I would say this building is haunted because of guys like him, as are most of the buildings in the NBA. I haven't run into a haunted hotel, just haunted arenas."

Great plan, Stan, just get scared of actual basketball players instead of ghosts. You see, most guys in the NBA are supremely confident, so they simply respect their opponents instead of having nightmares about them. Better to imagine Kevin Durant as some kind of willowy ghoul or Russell Westbrook(notes) as an ornery sleestak instead of fearing ghosts in a perfectly suitable hotel.

Of course, this idea may have backfired last night. Kevin Durant finished with 36 points on 13-of-17 shooting in last night's 125-124 win. Maybe the players weren't guarding him because they thought he was a scary ghost!

Seems like the news is spreading.

king183
01-15-2011, 05:36 PM
"What haunts me are guys like Kevin Durant"

Awesome.

ljbab728
01-16-2011, 12:07 AM
"What haunts me are guys like Kevin Durant"

Awesome.

I love stories like this. It gives us national publicity in fun ways.

ddavidson8
01-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Is there any documentation from news archives regarding the maid?

jmarkross
01-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Is there any documentation from news archives regarding the maid?

Not long ago...I stayed there...late at night I was pushing a room-service cart into the hallway and I saw two little twin girls holding hands there...it appeared they had just written "redrum" on the door across from mine with lipstick.

I packed up and left immediately...just found that unnerving...

ddavidson8
01-16-2011, 06:26 PM
You should have stayed to ride your big wheel around the halls. That's when I find naked women in bathtubs.

jmarkross
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
You should have stayed to ride your big wheel around the halls. That's when I find naked women in bathtubs.

When I checked in...I saw Jack Nicholson at the counter--applying for a job...seemed unimportant at the time--but--later, I had second thoughts. It was during the Christmas Holiday in 2009...during the blizzard. I called an old friend who was a retired vocalist...and fortunately he was able to make it through before all the roads closed...and he gave me a ride back home...

ddavidson8
01-16-2011, 07:31 PM
I miss the topiary.

jmarkross
01-16-2011, 08:21 PM
I miss the topiary.

I just thank God they had no maze on the way out of the place...

OUman
01-17-2011, 10:24 AM
What haunts me are guys like Kevin Durant

That just made my day.

UnFrSaKn
01-18-2011, 09:37 AM
...typical accommodations in town.

What are typical NBA accommodations? Gold-plated limos with those built-in jacuzzis?

edcrunk
01-19-2011, 07:31 AM
The skirvin called all the teams that used to stay at the Colcord and told them they didn't want to stay there because of Devon Tower being built. In retaliation, Devon cancelled all events at the skirvin.
The Colcord now has soundproof Windows.

ljbab728
01-19-2011, 11:03 PM
The skirvin called all the teams that used to stay at the Colcord and told them they didn't want to stay there because of Devon Tower being built. In retaliation, Devon cancelled all events at the skirvin.
The Colcord now has soundproof Windows.

Is that just hearsay or do you have first hand knowledge about that?