View Full Version : "New" City Council priorities

TheTravellers
01-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Got my city bill yesterday and in the newsletter, it has a list of City Council priorities. Talks about the next 2-5 years, over 3000 performance measures for them, and says that the measurements and a brief explanation of each priority are available at www.okc.gov. :doh: Where on www.okc.gov? No link, nothing on the front page, so I did a search on city council priorities (and why, oh why do web designers write code that won't let you hit enter after you enter search terms, why must you click on the search button with your mouse?!?!) and found this: http://www.okc.gov/council/priorities/index.html. Those are from 2007, so why do they say in the newsletter that "City Council recently adopted nine priorities...."? WTF?

For reference, here they are, and they look pretty impressive, hope they can do well on them (ha):

1. Preserve and grow citizen confidence and trust in City government
2. Promote a sustainable financial model
3. Focus on infrastructure development
4. Increase effectiveness and sustainability of public transportation
5. Expand economic development initiatives
6. Enhance the quality of life
7. Improve public education
8. Gain greater government efficiency
9. Ensure citizen safety

Should be interesting to see how these hold up in 5 years, hopefully it will be good, but if they've been priorities for 3 years already, who knows...

Kerry
01-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Does Pete White know about #1?

TheTravellers
01-14-2011, 02:12 PM

Or #4?

Architect2010
01-14-2011, 03:05 PM
(and why, oh why do web designers write code that won't let you hit enter after you enter search terms, why must you click on the search button with your mouse?!?!)

I hope you're not serious. I'd seriously slap someone if they said that to me in person. That's the epitome of lazy. ;]

TheTravellers
01-14-2011, 03:15 PM
I hope you're not serious. I'd seriously slap someone if they said that to me in person. That's the epitome of lazy. ;]

Why? Taking hands off the keyboard to mouse is inefficient and silly if you can just type, then hit enter since your pinky is about an inch away from the enter key at any point in time, unlike the mouse or where the mouse pointer currently is. At least give users the *option* to hit enter. Almost everybody I know that has to do a lot of typing for a living agrees with me on this point. You see things very differently than I do.

zachnash
01-14-2011, 04:08 PM
TheTravellers - Sorry about that. I failed to link the PDF and the item was buried towards the bottom on the front page of OKC.gov. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's appreciated.

Here is the correct link to the latest Council Priorities: http://www.okc.gov/cp.pdf

Zach Nash, Creative Manager, City of OKC

TheTravellers
01-14-2011, 04:56 PM
TheTravellers - Sorry about that. I failed to link the PDF and the item was buried towards the bottom on the front page of OKC.gov. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It's appreciated.

Here is the correct link to the latest Council Priorities: http://www.okc.gov/cp.pdf

Zach Nash, Creative Manager, City of OKC

Wow, impressed, thanks, Zach! :yourock: Now, can you do something about that search button thingy? :LolLolLol As someone else said, the power of OKCTalk....

rcjunkie
01-14-2011, 10:56 PM

As I hear it, he was all in favor of this list before he was against it.

HOT ROD
01-15-2011, 12:15 AM
he flipped

ljbab728
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Got my city bill yesterday and in the newsletter, it has a list of City Council priorities. Talks about the next 2-5 years, over 3000 performance measures for them, and says that the measurements and a brief explanation of each priority are available at www.okc.gov. :doh: Where on www.okc.gov? No link, nothing on the front page, so I did a search on city council priorities (and why, oh why do web designers write code that won't let you hit enter after you enter search terms, why must you click on the search button with your mouse?!?!) and found this: http://www.okc.gov/council/priorities/index.html. Those are from 2007, so why do they say in the newsletter that "City Council recently adopted nine priorities...."? WTF?

For reference, here they are, and they look pretty impressive, hope they can do well on them (ha):

1. Preserve and grow citizen confidence and trust in City government
2. Promote a sustainable financial model
3. Focus on infrastructure development
4. Increase effectiveness and sustainability of public transportation
5. Expand economic development initiatives
6. Enhance the quality of life
7. Improve public education
8. Gain greater government efficiency
9. Ensure citizen safety

Should be interesting to see how these hold up in 5 years, hopefully it will be good, but if they've been priorities for 3 years already, who knows...

Travellers, thank you for having a "somewhat" positive post for a change. Maybe we'll let you hang around for a little while longer. LOL

Spartan
01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Pete White is not anti-transit, and he's spot-on when it comes to the buses needing improvement, except for where he thinks it can be funded by M3 streetcar money.