View Full Version : End of Age Restriction

Scout200
01-14-2011, 11:23 AM
The NBA players hope to end the age restriction that forbids players from entering the NBA directly out of high school. How will this decision impact the NBA?

kevinpate
01-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Ah hell, why stop there. Scraf em out of junior high, put them into a D2 league, and raise them up right. nah, that don't seem creepy.

MustangGT
01-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Maybe a very few will be able to make that jump but most will not. Bad idea IMHO.

Jersey Boss
01-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Curious as to why the players would support a concept that would move more veterans out of the league?

Thunder
01-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Bad idea. Put them through college first, work on an education, and earn their goal (in this case, play for fun for money).

Watson410
01-14-2011, 07:33 PM
It's a good idea.. They need to go back to the way things use to be.. College basketball for one, will benefit from it. It just hasn't been the same since they changed the rule. There has been too many one and done players that never see a basketball court after their Freshman year... Less kids will enter the NBA Draft straight out of High School because of the unknown ( If I enter the draft will my last high school game be the last time to play real basketball? Will I get any playing time?... so on.) Teams won't have to rebuild every year for ONLY one year, then rebuild again. If they don't enter the draft out of high school they should make them play AT LEAST two years of college basketball. If it's done correctly College basketball will benefit and make MOST players ending the draft gain more experience before playing in the NBA by the "2 year rule".

OKCisOK4me
01-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Look at that kid Green who committed to Oklahoma State a while back. He was the #1 player in the country and he brushed his commitment aside and entered the NBA draft cause he thought he was hot. The Celtics drafted him and (like Cole Aldrich who benefited from four years of college ball) he went to the D-League. I think at one time or another he was even injured. I don't know what has come of him, but it would have been good for him to go to college and have him play with other players his own age and help him adjust to the speed of the game. A two year rule needs to be implemented. Off hand, I can think of four, maybe five players who came straight out of high school and have made an impact on the NBA. Obviously two of them are Kobe and Lebron. Oh, and I forgot--Dwight Howard. Other than that, the rest of them are kids that need to go to college.

There is this video which is awesome, but listen from 7:25 on. The commentators nail it on the head...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTJojGdkfrA

MustangGT
01-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Other than that, the rest of them are kids that need to go to college.

Agree completely!!!

bluedogok
01-15-2011, 08:43 AM
They either need to have a rule like college football (three years removed from high school) or allow them to go straight out of high school. The "one and done" rule has been bad for college basketball in my opinion, players aren't that much better prepared at 19 than they are at 18 from being in college for one year. Most players cannot make the jump but if they decide to on bad advice (usually driven by others around them) they have to live with their decision like everyone else that is 18 or 19 years old.

Bill Robertson
01-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Three points. First.The NBA probably is never going to require three years out of high school like the NFL. If not they might as well do away with the one year rule and take players straight from high school. What does one year accomplish? The one year rule has done nothing good for the players, the NBA and especially college ball. Second. MLB has taken players straight from HS forever without a problem. And third. How many "regular" people go to work straight from HS. Lots of us. And us "regular" people have no shot at millions of dollars per year like pro ball players do. If I had made and properly invested thirty million in my first ten working years I could live very well for the rest of my life. I know, a lot of pro players make that and are broke in a few years. A college education wouldn't change that.

Swake2
01-16-2011, 02:45 PM
I could see the NBA expanding the rule to two years. It's very costly for the NBA to draft unproven high school players that don't pan out. These kids were getting huge guaranteed contracts and a large percentage of them were complete busts. A year of college, or even better two, helps to identify the all hype high school players without it costing the NBA anything.

Scout200
01-18-2011, 09:41 AM
IMO Players like Lebron and Amar'e have proven that they belong from jump. Look at the league's present superstars and stars... Most of them came in straight out of high school or immediately after their freshman year.

Swake2
01-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Greg Oden and Micheal Beasley say hello.

Bill Robertson
01-18-2011, 01:53 PM
The number of players taken through "one and done" who have made it vs. not made it is about the same as two or three years of college. Just like the other pro sports you just don't know about a players pro ability until he turns pro. I predict that the one year rule will be one of the first things the owners give into in order to get some kind of hard salary cap or at least more salary control.