View Full Version : Yukon finds a loophole to rename mustang road ..

BoulderSooner
01-13-2011, 09:03 AM
background .. the new Yukon high is going in off of mustang road .. last year Yukon tried to get a portion of mustang roads name changed to Yukon Parkway to match their new school .. http://www.okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/ewdzcr45fq2axcbk21hnez45/89826601132011095516113.PDF

this was denied ..

no through a long term (good) deannex plan with OKC (to not have city borders going down the middle of the street) yukon is going to own that portion of mustang road and then will rename presumeably Yukon Parkway.

http://okc.gov/AgendaPub/cache/2/ewdzcr45fq2axcbk21hnez45/111044001132011094650950.PDF

thoughts?

Kerry
01-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Wouldn't it have just been easier to rename the school. They could have just called it Mustang High School and then the road and school name would match.

metro
01-13-2011, 09:44 AM
I could care less, it's Yukon, let them do what they want. As for the dennexing, wish OKC would do a LOT more of it out that way.

onthestrip
01-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't it have just been easier to rename the school. They could have just called it Mustang High School and then the road and school name would match.

1. THere is already a Mustang school, so you cant really call it that
2. Its in Yukon. Why would you name a Yukon school Mustang.
3. I dont really care about this either

Kerry
01-13-2011, 11:28 AM
1. THere is already a Mustang school, so you cant really call it that
2. Its in Yukon. Why would you name a Yukon school Mustang.
3. I dont really care about this either

I was just under the impression Yukon wanted the street and school to have the same name. That could be done two ways and since the street existed first, and there would be a cost to businesses and individuals if the street was renamed, as well as the cost of new street signs, I just made the suggestion that the City change the name of the school to save money. However, if Yukon has money to burn then let them set it ablaze.

In all honesty, it was about pointing how stupid and shallow renaming the street to match the name of school is. However, anything that reduces the size of OKC is OK in my book.

CaseyCornett
01-13-2011, 12:52 PM
I was just under the impression Yukon wanted the street and school to have the same name. That could be done two ways and since the street existed first, and there would be a cost to businesses and individuals if the street was renamed, as well as the cost of new street signs, I just made the suggestion that the City change the name of the school to save money. However, if Yukon has money to burn then let them set it ablaze.

In all honesty, it was about pointing how stupid and shallow renaming the street to match the name of school is. However, anything that reduces the size of OKC is OK in my book.

Kerry, Yukon High School and Mustang High School are not only big rivals but also different cities just a few miles apart. It would be much more difficult to rename the school than to rename the street.

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 01:00 PM
In all honesty, it was about pointing how stupid and shallow renaming the street to match the name of school is.

Like naming streets after people is equally if not more stupid. It is a lot of sound and fury over nothing. If you do not frequent the area then so what does it matter???

PennyQuilts
01-13-2011, 01:02 PM
They seem to like to rename stuff.

kevinpate
01-13-2011, 02:43 PM
They seem to like to rename stuff.

They probably learned it from the state legislizards.

jn1780
01-13-2011, 02:59 PM
How many schools have names that match the street their on? Why is it that important that they match?

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Better yet who really cares??? If they want to do it it is their business alone to do it.

kevinpate
01-13-2011, 03:14 PM
How many schools have names that match the street their on? Why is it that important that they match?

In the generic sense, there is no reason for it at all. But in the instant circumstance, if you're Yukon and one of your main rivals is the high school in neighboring Mustang, you might not want your school on their road.

Some folks just don't have enough serious scat to fret over, so they find new ways to fret.

Thunder
01-13-2011, 04:32 PM
Relocate the new school. Simple. Or, use the name of any other streets connecting to Mustang Rd for address.

Who elected these freaks in office? :-/

Don't forget the time and cost to update the maps everywhere...and the GPS devices... People will be so lost when they are new in the area when Mustang Rd suddenly disappear into a whole other name.

redrunner
01-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Relocate the new school. Simple.

Is this troll Thunder? Yes, why don't they relocate the new school?! After all, it is on a set of wheels like your mobile home so they can just hitch it to the back of a big rig and whisk it away!!!

metro
01-13-2011, 05:58 PM

In all honesty, it was about pointing how stupid and shallow renaming the street to match the name of school is.
However, anything that reduces the size of OKC is OK in my book.

Typically yes, but currently there really is nothing there yet besides the school on that stretch of the road other than a rednecky, gravel lot used car dealer.

Thunder, the new Yukon High school is MASSIVE. Biggest high school in metro I've seen.

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 06:05 PM
Relocate the new school. People will be so lost when they are new in the area when Mustang Rd suddenly disappear into a whole other name.

Dumber and Dumbest!!! Moving the school, surely you jest. Maybe in the brain dead world you infest, give folks a bit more credit than that.

Thunder
01-13-2011, 07:54 PM
I meant, pick a different site to build. But it appears to be already built... Not my fault I don't live in Yukon.

oks4l22
01-13-2011, 08:27 PM
I meant, pick a different site to build. But it appears to be already built... Not my fault I don't live in Yukon.

Ha... This area deserves to be that much better in OKC. The hardcore conservatives in the OKC shouldn't discount the area in the west because it is coming strong. This new school is a positive thing for both Yukon and west OKC. The fact that they want to name it the Yukon street whatever they want to is a joke though, and a waist of all politicians time and money.

oks4l22
01-13-2011, 08:33 PM

It's actually a great spot if you consider some of the western residents that want to go to a better school.

MustangGT
01-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Not my fault I don't live in Yukon.

What is not your fault, say your willful lack of knowledge of the facts and failing to educate yourself before spouting off???

BB37
01-13-2011, 09:05 PM
. . . Not my fault I don't live in Yukon.

Were you this incensed when they renamed that 5-6 mile stretch of the North Canadian to the "Oklahoma River?"

I see they're renaming a bunch of streets in Atlanta; does that upset you, too?

If you don't live in Yukon, then why do you care?

Kerry
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
They should have just called it Garth Brooks High School and got it over with. I know I know, that would have caused problems because they already have a Garth Brooks Blvd. What was the name of the old Yukon High School? What is happening to it?

As for the name Oklahoma River - yes, that was (and is) pretty lame. What street are the renaming in Atlanta? In the 4 years I lived there it always drove me crazy when you crossed an intersection and the name of road you were on changed.

ljbab728
01-14-2011, 12:47 AM
I could care less, it's Yukon, let them do what they want. As for the dennexing, wish OKC would do a LOT more of it out that way.

Right, Metro. Just let Yukon and Mustang collect all of the taxes. Please don't get me started on this debate with you and Kerry again.

Larry OKC
01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
and pay for the infrastructure...LOL

Wishbone
01-14-2011, 04:51 AM
This wouldn't be any different than Cornwell/Czech Hall road. It's Czech Hall South of I-40 and turns to Cornwell at 10th street. All the same road.

bombermwc
01-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Hey Thunder, not only is it the largest in the metro, it's also the nicest too. The designs the district have on their website are pretty crazy. One thing they didn't add yet was an auditorium, but it is included in the masterplan for a future bond issue....remember bond issues can only be up to a certain amount so you can never really build the entire school at one time...just like how Southmoore built their auditorium the following year with the second bond (that covered the auditorium at Moore and Fieldhouse at Westmoore).

Anyway, it's just normal rivalry between towns. If MWC was a little more paranoid, they would have changed the name of Elm after the Friday the 13th movies since 213 Elm is both Freddy Cruger's address and MCHS. Which is funny because the current campus cuts elm in half....it used to go through in the 50's, but when the expanded the school in the 60's, there it went....now it's parking lot with a breezeway cutting off "through" access unless you trudge around the fieldhouse.

I'm rambling....

TheTravellers
01-14-2011, 10:09 AM
They should have just called it Garth Brooks High School and got it over with. I know I know, that would have caused problems because they already have a Garth Brooks Blvd. What was the name of the old Yukon High School? What is happening to it?

As for the name Oklahoma River - yes, that was (and is) pretty lame. What street are the renaming in Atlanta? In the 4 years I lived there it always drove me crazy when you crossed an intersection and the name of road you were on changed.

Heh, you'd be committed by now if you lived in the South Puget Sound area - on a 10 minute drive, that could happen a dozen times. It *was* horrible...

hoya
01-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey Thunder, not only is it the largest in the metro, it's also the nicest too. The designs the district have on their website are pretty crazy. One thing they didn't add yet was an auditorium, but it is included in the masterplan for a future bond issue....remember bond issues can only be up to a certain amount so you can never really build the entire school at one time...just like how Southmoore built their auditorium the following year with the second bond (that covered the auditorium at Moore and Fieldhouse at Westmoore).

Anyway, it's just normal rivalry between towns. If MWC was a little more paranoid, they would have changed the name of Elm after the Friday the 13th movies since 213 Elm is both Freddy Cruger's address and MCHS. Which is funny because the current campus cuts elm in half....it used to go through in the 50's, but when the expanded the school in the 60's, there it went....now it's parking lot with a breezeway cutting off "through" access unless you trudge around the fieldhouse.

I'm rambling....

Freddy Krueger is from the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Friday the 13th is Jason Voorhees, the guy with the hockey mask.

Kerry
01-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Heh, you'd be committed by now if you lived in the South Puget Sound area - on a 10 minute drive, that could happen a dozen times. It *was* horrible...

I know, that is why when I see other places doing it just so a school and street can have the same name, it ticks me off a bit.

BB37
01-14-2011, 06:23 PM
This wouldn't be any different than Cornwell/Czech Hall road. It's Czech Hall South of I-40 and turns to Cornwell at 10th street. All the same road.

Plenty of examples of this here. Most of the section line roads change names when they cross into Edmond (2nd Street/178th, 33rd/150th, Eastern/Boulevard, etc.) And speaking of Eastern, it turns into MLK between Wilshire and Reno.

Snowman
03-06-2011, 05:47 AM

The old one is named Yukon High School. The new one easily holds all the high school students with room to grow and gets all the sport complexes on the same campus. Part of the reason is though the 9/10 buildings, several of the sports facilities and auditorium are quite good the 11/12 grade building either needs major renovations or rebuilt, in any case they needed more space for elementary students too. Like the new i40 the least disruption comes from building a parallel facility then renovating the old one. They will be changing the grade range at pretty much every school but the high school, to allow for more classrooms at each lower level grade. The old high school will be some of the middle school grades. From what I had heard it was not as much they want the name and street to match up but more of they just did not want it on a road called mustang, at one point their was an even dumber idea of building a road between the school and mustang road just for the address change, as mentioned their biggest but friendly rival. Having Garth Brooks in the title would only lead to a small amount of people from out of town get off at that interchange for games or events.

This is a video I had posted in the Yukon High School thread that show where it is at in the last month or so: http://okblitz.com/Article.aspx?id=34555