View Full Version : TV shows of the'60s.

FRISKY
01-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Remember any of these?

Too bad kids of today will never know how wonderful these shows were in their day...

5BYpcOy67R0

Generals64
01-13-2011, 10:44 AM
Hey Frisky:... is that you in the middle with the two girls????

papaOU
01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Hey Frisky:... is that you in the middle with the two girls????

No. He's the girl on the left!

bluedogok
01-13-2011, 07:16 PM
RetroTV (http://www.myretrotv.com/) has many of those old shows, we had it on a subchannel of one of the affiliates here in Austin for awhile until the FCC and their "childrens programming" decision came about a few years back.

MikeOKC
01-13-2011, 07:43 PM
That was 7 minutes and 30 seconds of pure fun! I have watched episodes of every single one of those shows except Peyton Place. Many of them dozens of times. Classic television! Thanks to Netflix a whole new generation is watching some of these shows. Part of their deal with the studios that made Netflix delay rentals of new DVD releases was opening their vaults to tons of old forgotten movies that Netflix can stream instantly. They say we can expect to see many of the old classic TV series that have never seen DVD releases streaming soon on Netflix (the best $10 a month I spend). They already have quite a few of those old series, but seeing some that haven't been on in ages will be great fun. Thanks for the diversion!

ljbab728
01-14-2011, 12:08 AM
That was 7 minutes and 30 seconds of pure fun! I have watched episodes of every single one of those shows except Peyton Place. Many of them dozens of times. Classic television! Thanks to Netflix a whole new generation is watching some of these shows. Part of their deal with the studios that made Netflix delay rentals of new DVD releases was opening their vaults to tons of old forgotten movies that Netflix can stream instantly. They say we can expect to see many of the old classic TV series that have never seen DVD releases streaming soon on Netflix (the best $10 a month I spend). They already have quite a few of those old series, but seeing some that haven't been on in ages will be great fun. Thanks for the diversion!

I never missed Peyton Place. Barbara Parkins and Mia Farrow were hot, LOL. And nothing will ever match the innovation of Laughin.

skyrick
01-14-2011, 05:33 AM
I remember watching a lot of those series when they were originally on, but most of them don't stand the test of time. 3 exceptions: 1.Twilight Zone, need I say more? 2. Mission Impossible, some of their deceptions are still pretty cool. 3. Green Acres, one of the most surreal comedies ever. The writers were on acid.

ljbab728
01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I remember watching a lot of those series when they were originally on, but most of them don't stand the test of time. 3 exceptions: 1.Twilight Zone, need I say more? 2. Mission Impossible, some of their deceptions are still pretty cool. 3. Green Acres, one of the most surreal comedies ever. The writers were on acid.

I agree about Green Acres. It had some of most clever dialogue that any show ever put out.

USG'60
01-15-2011, 08:43 AM
Interesting selection of music for the video. Tens of millions of hippy manhours were spent trying to figure out what the lyrics REALLY meant in MacArther Park, but I heard Jimmy Webb say in an interview about 30 years ago that the lyrics meant NOTHING down deep, they were written because they sounded cool while on acid. That was a great relief to me, since I was never one who had "figured it out." LOL

MikeOKC
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Interesting selection of music for the video. Tens of millions of hippy manhours were spent trying to figure out what the lyrics REALLY meant in MacArther Park, but I heard Jimmy Webb say in an interview about 30 years ago that the lyrics meant NOTHING down deep, they were written because they sounded cool while on acid. That was a great relief to me, since I was never one who had "figured it out." LOL

Great music but the lyrics are the most nonsensical of any song of the period - maybe ever. I remember reading the lyrics years ago and thinking $#%$^&?!?!?!

For the record:

MacArthur Park
Lyrics by Jimmy Webb
Performed by Richard Harris

Spring was never waiting for us, girl
It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance
Between the parted pages and were pressed
In love's hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants

MacArthur Park is melting in the dark
All the sweet, green icing flowing down
Someone left the cake out in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
'Cause it took so long to bake it
And I'll never have that recipe again
Oh, no!

I recall the yellow cotton dress
Foaming like a wave
On the ground around your knees
The birds, like tender babies in your hands
And the old men playing checkers by the trees

Oh, no!

(break)

There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
And after all the loves of my life
After all the loves of my life
You'll still be the one

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
I will have the things that I desire
And my passion flow like rivers through the sky
I'll be thinking of you
And wondering why

(break)

Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh no!!

kevinpate
01-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I possess no clear recall of any of the doctor shows or the prisoner or land of the giants. the rest though, yeah, a nice stroll down memory lane.

Jettmiester
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I never coiuld figure McArthur park lyrics out.

Not many of the 60's television passed the test of time. Star Trek did, BeWitched is still clever to watch. But then there are the shows you loved as a kid, and just can't tolerate now. The ones I cannot tolerate now are Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeanie (despite how HOT Barbara Eden was in the day), Lost in Space (why wouldnt anyone just push Dr. Smith out of the Jupiter in flight?).

ljbab728
01-18-2011, 11:15 PM
I never coiuld figure McArthur park lyrics out.

Not many of the 60's television passed the test of time. Star Trek did, BeWitched is still clever to watch. But then there are the shows you loved as a kid, and just can't tolerate now. The ones I cannot tolerate now are Gilligans Island, I Dream of Jeanie (despite how HOT Barbara Eden was in the day), Lost in Space (why wouldnt anyone just push Dr. Smith out of the Jupiter in flight?).

That's sort of the like the current show, "The Bachelor". They should all be pushed out of the Jupiter in flight. Not trying to bring us to the present day, just saying that who knows how current shows will be viewed in the future. Many of them are "gag me" now. It's kind of like how I wonder if in 30 years some people will look back and think about gangster rap songs as golden oldies. LOL

jmarkross
01-19-2011, 04:57 AM
That's sort of the like the current show, "The Bachelor". They should all be pushed out of the Jupiter in flight. Not trying to bring us to the present day, just saying that who knows how current shows will be viewed in the future. Many of them are "gag me" now. It's kind of like how I wonder if in 30 years some people will look back and think about gangster rap songs as golden oldies. LOL

One need only think of male fashion in the late 60's early 70's...to find the answer. High-heeled shoes...wide-wale corduroy bell-bottom hip huggers...all manner of psychotic styling.

Bigrayok
02-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Great music but the lyrics are the most nonsensical of any song of the period - maybe ever. I remember reading the lyrics years ago and thinking $#%$^&?!?!?!

For the record:

MacArthur Park
Lyrics by Jimmy Webb
Performed by Richard Harris

Spring was never waiting for us, girl
It ran one step ahead
As we followed in the dance
Between the parted pages and were pressed
In love's hot, fevered iron
Like a striped pair of pants

Oh, no!

I recall the yellow cotton dress
Foaming like a wave
On the ground around your knees
The birds, like tender babies in your hands
And the old men playing checkers by the trees

Oh, no!

(break)

There will be another song for me
For I will sing it
There will be another dream for me
Someone will bring it
I will drink the wine while it is warm
And never let you catch me looking at the sun
You'll still be the one

I will take my life into my hands and I will use it
I will win the worship in their eyes and I will lose it
I will have the things that I desire
And my passion flow like rivers through the sky
I'll be thinking of you
And wondering why

(break)

Oh, no!
Oh, no
No, no
Oh no!!

I have heard different stories about MacArthur Park's origin. One story is that someone bet Jimmy Webb he could not write a song in a certain short period. Jimmy wrote MacArthur Park. I think Jimmy actually changes the story now and then. I go see Jimmy Webb every time he plays the Blue Door and have met him a number of times. I have never heard him say in concert what actually inspired the song. I heard him tell Rossanne Barr on her short lived talk show a few years ago that the song was based on a picnic date gone wrong in Shawnee, Oklahoma when Jimmy was seventeen years old. There really was a cake and it rained. Jimmy will be the first to admit he used a lot of substances in the 60's-90's and does not always remember those days very well. It is great to hear him play the song live with just him and the piano. Jimmy Webb is an Oklahoma and national treasure in my opinion and in recent years he has shown a lot of pride in being from the state.

Bigray in Ok

bluedogok
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
One need only think of male fashion in the late 60's early 70's...to find the answer. High-heeled shoes...wide-wale corduroy bell-bottom hip huggers...all manner of psychotic styling.
That reminded me of the Traffic album, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gokgcEI5L._SS500_.jpg

skyrick
02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
That reminded me of the Traffic album, The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gokgcEI5L._SS500_.jpg

What a great album! It was one of the first I ever bought, along with "Swiss Movement" by Les McAnn and Eddie Harris, that didn't feature electric guitars as the focus. Traffic's follow-up album "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory" was pretty good too.

osu cowboy
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
What a great album! It was one of the first I ever bought, along with "Swiss Movement" by Les McAnn and Eddie Harris, that didn't feature electric guitars as the focus. Traffic's follow-up album "Shootout at the Fantasy Factory" was pretty good too.

Totally agree on this. Shootout not quite as good but still excellant. Stevie at his best.

grantgeneral78
02-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Does dark shadows qualify?

papaOU
02-13-2011, 05:07 PM
yes!!!

soonergeezer
08-10-2014, 07:10 PM

I could not agree more. The bad news is that since you posted, there are now about 10 times as many crappy reality(?) shows. The music, I can't imagine what kind of junk the generation after this one will see as "cool". Maybe we'll get lucky and the next generation will want to piss off the current generation with rock and roll, or at least do-wop. :)

Mel
08-10-2014, 08:52 PM
MeTV is a good source to watch these shows at. And it's free.

soonergeezer
08-12-2014, 10:32 PM
I agree about Green Acres. It had some of most clever dialogue that any show ever put out.
I always wanted to see what Ms. Gabor looked like under those sexy clothes she wore. Her and the Pettycoat Junction girls.