View Full Version : Movie theater in Penn Square

remy11
01-12-2011, 09:30 AM
I just heard (from a non super reliable source) that Dickinson's theater's lease is going to be up soon. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true? Do they have plans of staying there?

Patrick
01-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Highly doubt it. When they signed their lease a few years ago I'm almost positive it was a 15 year lease. I wouldn't mind seeing them leave though, especially if that space could be replaced with a smaller anchor like Crate and Barel or something.

ljbab728
01-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Highly doubt it. When they signed their lease a few years ago I'm almost positive it was a 15 year lease. I wouldn't mind seeing them leave though, especially if that space could be replaced with a smaller anchor like Crate and Barel or something.

Crate and Barrel would be nice but the people who like to go there to the movies might not agree with you.

kwash
01-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I agree with first response, that movie theatre is terrible inside penn square. Went a few times and its dirty and very outdated. For penn square being the premiere mall in the city, its a shame they couldnt get dickinson to do a better job with that theatre. I mean penn needs something nice and updated with an imax or something. I still for the life of me dont get how the north central/north side has no premiere movie thatre. South side has the warren which is an absolute masterpiece, and far northside/edmond has amc quail. I just dont get how there is nothing between bricktown harkins and Quail. If penn square wants ot get serious, they will make room for at least a nice 12 megaplex with stadium seating and maybe even an imax. As for that crap hole they have now, good riddance

ljbab728
01-12-2011, 11:59 PM
I agree with first response, that movie theatre is terrible inside penn square. Went a few times and its dirty and very outdated. For penn square being the premiere mall in the city, its a shame they couldnt get dickinson to do a better job with that theatre. I mean penn needs something nice and updated with an imax or something. I still for the life of me dont get how the north central/north side has no premiere movie thatre. South side has the warren which is an absolute masterpiece, and far northside/edmond has amc quail. I just dont get how there is nothing between bricktown harkins and Quail. If penn square wants ot get serious, they will make room for at least a nice 12 megaplex with stadium seating and maybe even an imax. As for that crap hole they have now, good riddance

I didn't say the theater couldn't be improved. I said that not everyone might want to see it replaced with a different kind of business.

Patrick
01-13-2011, 10:34 AM
That's just it....Penn Square doesn't want a bigger movie theater. I spoke to the former mall manager there, and he said they didn't want all of the problems that Quail Springs had, mainly increased crime (shoplifting increased astronomically when the theater moved in) and teen problems (a huge deterrant to Penn Square wanting similar problems). And most of the theaters at Penn Square are stadium seating now. I think it serves its purpose. It's easy to get in and out of, and attracts more people from the area.

jbrown84
01-13-2011, 03:41 PM
i wouldn't mind seeing them leave though, especially if that space could be replaced with a smaller anchor like crate and barel or something.

h&m!! **stupid thing won't let me capitalize it

metro
01-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, an H&M would be much better than the usually 2/3 empty theatre.

MikeOKC
01-13-2011, 06:13 PM
It's still hard for me to grasp the theater being that old because of its past. I was at the OKC premier of Jurassic Park at the Penn Square theater when it was a General Cinema. It was generally agreed it was the nicest theater in town. They also rolled out THX with the Jurrasic Park movie. Penn Square was one of the General Cinema properties that had upgraded and the audio was just incredible. Nobody had heard anything like it. Of course, we're talking 1993 - 18 years ago. This is just a heads up for some of the younger crowd here that - at one time - it was a great theater. Emphasis, obviously, on the "at one time."

remy11
01-13-2011, 07:44 PM
An H&M would be nice but I don't see that happening. I could, however, see a Forever 21 going there.

jbrown84
01-14-2011, 01:59 AM
How is everyone else getting it to leave H&M capitalized??

Nevermind.

<--- /rusty/

bombermwc
01-14-2011, 06:48 AM
Mike - well when the big super theaters came to town, all the little fries got sold off and no more money flowed in for improvements. Crossroads 8 is a perfect example. The place was what 10-15 when it turned to a dollar theater? The seating is just like at Dickinson, old style not stadium. But it's still in good shape...it's like a time slice of what a movie theater was like at that time. Problem is, when you pay so little for a ticket, you don't really MAKE that much money...and don't want to put it into improvements....the facility sort of treads water.

Penn USED to be top notch when they were the only THX shop in town. Anyone remember seeing Independence Day there? But these days everyone is digital surround, so there's nothing special. And most of what they show there doesn't even use surround anyway.

Debzkidz
01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

There is also Tinsletown just a couple of miles down the road on I-44. It's a pretty nice theater. We go there all the time.

MikeOKC
01-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Mike - well when the big super theaters came to town, all the little fries got sold off and no more money flowed in for improvements. Crossroads 8 is a perfect example. The place was what 10-15 when it turned to a dollar theater? The seating is just like at Dickinson, old style not stadium. But it's still in good shape...it's like a time slice of what a movie theater was like at that time. Problem is, when you pay so little for a ticket, you don't really MAKE that much money...and don't want to put it into improvements....the facility sort of treads water.

Penn USED to be top notch when they were the only THX shop in town. Anyone remember seeing Independence Day there? But these days everyone is digital surround, so there's nothing special. And most of what they show there doesn't even use surround anyway.

Exactly. That's why I said, "...at one time - it was a great theater. Emphasis, obviously, on the "at one time.""

Bomber, Do you know if Dickinson has converted all the screens at Penn Square from traditional to stadium seating? It's been ages since I've been there.

jbrown84
01-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Bomber, Do you know if Dickinson has converted all the screens at Penn Square from traditional to stadium seating? It's been ages since I've been there.

Only some of them.

Patrick
01-16-2011, 12:20 AM
The seating is just like at Dickinson, old style not stadium. But it's still in good shape...it's like a time slice of what a movie theater was like at that time..

Actually, Dickinson has converted "most" of the theaters to stadium seating now. I think about 8 of the 10 theaters are stadium seating.