View Full Version : Skirvin manager stepping down

soonerfan_in_okc
01-10-2011, 07:54 PM
SIAP, but will this have any negative effects? I know the hotel has already established itself, but the guy still seems to know what he is doing.

http://newsok.com/skirvin-manager-stepping-down/article/3531089?custom_click=lead_story_title

Kerry
01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
I like the sound of this:

John Weeman, whose Partners in Development, is part owner of the hotel, said Williams is pursuing new opportunities that will allow him to stay in Oklahoma City.

Read more: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-skirvin-manager-stepping-down/article/3531089#ixzz1Ah6T7Ekr

mcca7596
01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't really think it's level of service and quality will go down; it has established itself as one of the premier hotels in the city and should have every incentive to keep it that way.

Great to hear that it has outperformed the best case scenario envisioned for it!

okclee
01-10-2011, 09:27 PM
Why doesn't the DOK state that he is moving over to the the Colcord Hotel and also will be working for Devon?

http://journalrecord.com/2011/01/10/skirvin-hotel-gm-steps-down-general-news/

OSUMom
01-10-2011, 10:17 PM
So is the Colcord exclusively Devon's? Or can anyone stay there, just they cater to Devon executives?

Steve
01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
My story, when posted online, will report he's moving over to the Colcord. JR just went online a few minutes earlier than OK. I'll also point out that you can't access JR stories for free; NewsOK you can. JR and Oklahoman got the confirmation on Colcord late today, about the same time.

Spartan
01-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Interesting..I wonder what the future holds for the Colcord.

ljbab728
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
So is the Colcord exclusively Devon's? Or can anyone stay there, just they cater to Devon executives?

They will be happy to book a room for you if you want to stay there, OSUMom. They're open to anyone.

Pete
01-10-2011, 11:39 PM
Wasn't the agreement for Devon to sell the Colcord back to the management group after construction? That they were just going to own it in the interim to make sure they got through the construction noise/mess?

I wonder if this is still the plan, especially since the Colcord will be physically tied to Devon Tower and they will be sharing this employee.

In any event, it sure sounds like John Williams is a sharp guy and it's great that OKC not only had a good job to bring him here in the first place, an even better job became available due to all the new things happening in town. That sort of thing is happening more and more frequently.

Larry OKC
01-11-2011, 12:28 AM
Pete:
That's what I recall reading too at the time, don't know if that plan is still the one

BoulderSooner
01-11-2011, 05:59 AM
My story, when posted online, will report he's moving over to the Colcord. JR just went online a few minutes earlier than OK. I'll also point out that you can't access JR stories for free; NewsOK you can. JR and Oklahoman got the confirmation on Colcord late today, about the same time.

well then how did i just read that link online for free?

and it sounds like devon is parting ways with the mgmt company and going to run the colcord in house .. thus the hiring of williams

Kerry
01-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Maybe Devon realized how good the downtown hotel market is.

Larry OKC
01-12-2011, 02:09 AM
Think JR stories may be a hit or miss...this one is viewable (at least for now, then as with many stories with the Oklahoman, go into the archives and are only available pay style)...some stories seem to be viewable forever (like the MAPS related ones in the D.O.)

By the way, did anyone else notice (for lack of a better term) the bait-n-switch the D.O. did recently? They have been promoting that the TV listing insert was being replaced with a new publication. True to a point. Apparently it t was replaced for just this last Sunday's paper, to continue to get it in your Sunday paper, you have to subscribe to it separately. Bad form IMO.

Boo. Hiss.

Steve
01-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Larry, newspapers across the country are faced with making difficult decisions, and in this case, the television guide has a diminishing audience that requires papers, not just the Oklahoman, to look at ways to continue delivering this product to the shrinking audience that still wants it while focusing its resources on it mission of delivering news. The paper will still be providing daily local tv listing grids.

Patrick
01-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Won't be buying a Sunday Oklahoman anymore. That and the coupons was like the only reason I paid the $2 for it.

metro
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Oh come on Patrick, who seriously uses the old print tv guides anymore, it's dying business even faster than the dying newspaper industry.

Patrick
01-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Okay, I guess I'm lazy. Sure, I can look up the TV listings on my computer. But, when I'm tired and don't want to bother cranking on the computer, it's nice just to have the TV listings there on the couch.

MikeLucky
01-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Okay, I guess I'm lazy. Sure, I can look up the TV listings on my computer. But, when I'm tired and don't want to bother cranking on the computer, it's nice just to have the TV listings there on the couch.

Wow, do you have a console tv still??? lol. How do you not have a viewing guide on your television?

Patrick
01-12-2011, 03:11 PM
I refuse to pay $100 a month for dish or cable. Just receive HD over the air broadcasts.

MikeLucky
01-12-2011, 03:23 PM
I refuse to pay $100 a month for dish or cable. Just receive HD over the air broadcasts.

I gotta be honest.... that just sounds horrible....

dankrutka
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
I do the same thing. I only turn on the TV once or twice a week though....

Larry OKC
01-12-2011, 11:32 PM
Larry, newspapers across the country are faced with making difficult decisions, and in this case, the television guide has a diminishing audience that requires papers, not just the Oklahoman, to look at ways to continue delivering this product to the shrinking audience that still wants it while focusing its resources on it mission of delivering news. The paper will still be providing daily local tv listing grids.

My gripe wasn't in the need to go subscriber based with it, just the way the paper went about doing it/promoting it etc. No indication that it was going to be subscriber based.

Larry OKC
01-12-2011, 11:38 PM
Oh come on Patrick, who seriously uses the old print tv guides anymore, it's dying business even faster than the dying newspaper industry.

I am one of those people. While I do have favorites set to record every week, if they move something on me or for specials, sports etc, they come in handy. Daily paper one works if you read the paper while you are still at the house and can set the recorder (I'm not). One of the things that is irritating when they preempt a show that I have set to record and they scroll the announcement that they will be showing the program listed at 2:37 am (I don't get back until after the time they said). My experience with the online or cable scrolling versions is they are time frame limited (only show you the next couple of hours).

Sorry to derail the thread...now back to your regularly scheduled topic..LOL

Swake2
01-13-2011, 07:33 AM
You guys badly need an IPG

jbrown84
01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
ANYWAY...

I think this is a very interesting development. Clearly Devon has changed their mind about selling the hotel back when construction is complete. No more "we're not in the hotel business". From what I understand, Jeff Erwin will continue on as GM of the Colcord with Williams as "head of hospitality" or something of the sort.

I'm glad I don't work at the Colcord anymore, because I definitely sent a nasty email to Williams after he publicly endorsed the Sandridge demolitions.

BoulderSooner
01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
new NewsOK article on the Colcord/John Williams

http://newsok.com/colcord-hotel-changes-reflecting-new-business-plan/article/3533157?custom_click=lead_story_title

Hotel changes reflecting new business plan

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com Oklahoman Leave a comment
Published: January 18, 2011

When relationships change or end, it's not unusual for casual observers to speculate that something between two parties went sour.

Work continues on the Devon tower in Oklahoma City. The Colcord Hotel is in the foreground. Photo by Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman Steve Gooch

MultimediaPhotoview all photos
Hotel changes reflecting new business plan But in the case of changes taking place with the Colcord Hotel, officials with its owner, Devon Energy Corp., are quick to insist that relations remain strong with the people who risked everything to make the hotel a reality four years ago.

It was Paul Coury, who had successfully renovated the Ambassador Hotel in Tulsa, who took the risk and renovated the Colcord from offices to a boutique hotel.

Coury, an unsuccessful bidder to redo the Skirvin Hotel, was persuaded by local civic leaders to redirect his efforts at the Colcord, which a few years ago barely qualified as Class C office space.

Local restaurant legends, brothers Alain and Michel Buthion, agreed to open an upscale restaurant on the Colcord's ground floor before wall studs went up for any of the future hotel rooms.

The first year of operations for the new Colcord Hotel overlapped with the opening of the Skirvin, and combined with miscues at marketing, it was a bit disappointing. But Coury and the Buthions quickly made changes resulting in the Colcord's qualifying as a respectable peer to the Skirvin.

Construction of the neighboring 50-story Devon Energy Center tower could have ruined all Coury and the Buthions had accomplished and jeopardized the hotel's operation.

But Devon Energy CEO Larry Nichols, who prides himself on his company's focus on oil and gas, did something quite un-Devon-like: he purchased the hotel.

In buying the hotel, Devon could assure the hotel's survival, avert hard feelings with Coury by not damaging his financial standing, and invest in improvements Coury was unable to tackle as part of the 2006 renovation. Coury Properties, meanwhile, was retained to operate the hotel with veteran city hotelier Jeff Erwin as general manager.

Fast forward a couple of years, and the arrangement was working well. But with two to three restaurants planned as part of Devon Energy Center, Klay Kimker, vice president of administration, realized a “new business model” was needed to streamline the various operations.

Looking down the street, Kimker observed John Williams, who had guided the Skirvin as general manager since it reopened in 1997. Williams had decades of experience overseeing restaurants and hotels, and Kimker saw in Williams the ideal person to oversee all of the company's needs in terms of its hotel and restaurant operations.

That move ended ties with Coury Properties, though Erwin remains as general manager.

Kimker said changes are in store for the Buthions' La Baguette restaurant as well, but he's quick to note that, as with Coury, he's very satisfied with the Buthions' work at the Colcord. The business model may be changing, he says, but no one is rushing the Buthions out the door.

Read more: http://newsok.com/hotel-changes-reflecting-new-business-plan/article/3533157#ixzz1BOnNvdTd

ljbab728
01-18-2011, 11:38 PM
new NewsOK article on the Colcord/John Williams

http://newsok.com/colcord-hotel-changes-reflecting-new-business-plan/article/3533157?custom_click=lead_story_title

Hotel changes reflecting new business plan

BY STEVE LACKMEYER slackmeyer@opubco.com Oklahoman Leave a comment
Published: January 18, 2011

When relationships change or end, it's not unusual for casual observers to speculate that something between two parties went sour.

Work continues on the Devon tower in Oklahoma City. The Colcord Hotel is in the foreground. Photo by Steve Gooch, The Oklahoman Steve Gooch

MultimediaPhotoview all photos
Hotel changes reflecting new business plan But in the case of changes taking place with the Colcord Hotel, officials with its owner, Devon Energy Corp., are quick to insist that relations remain strong with the people who risked everything to make the hotel a reality four years ago.

It was Paul Coury, who had successfully renovated the Ambassador Hotel in Tulsa, who took the risk and renovated the Colcord from offices to a boutique hotel.

Coury, an unsuccessful bidder to redo the Skirvin Hotel, was persuaded by local civic leaders to redirect his efforts at the Colcord, which a few years ago barely qualified as Class C office space.

Local restaurant legends, brothers Alain and Michel Buthion, agreed to open an upscale restaurant on the Colcord's ground floor before wall studs went up for any of the future hotel rooms.

The first year of operations for the new Colcord Hotel overlapped with the opening of the Skirvin, and combined with miscues at marketing, it was a bit disappointing. But Coury and the Buthions quickly made changes resulting in the Colcord's qualifying as a respectable peer to the Skirvin.

Construction of the neighboring 50-story Devon Energy Center tower could have ruined all Coury and the Buthions had accomplished and jeopardized the hotel's operation.

But Devon Energy CEO Larry Nichols, who prides himself on his company's focus on oil and gas, did something quite un-Devon-like: he purchased the hotel.

In buying the hotel, Devon could assure the hotel's survival, avert hard feelings with Coury by not damaging his financial standing, and invest in improvements Coury was unable to tackle as part of the 2006 renovation. Coury Properties, meanwhile, was retained to operate the hotel with veteran city hotelier Jeff Erwin as general manager.

Fast forward a couple of years, and the arrangement was working well. But with two to three restaurants planned as part of Devon Energy Center, Klay Kimker, vice president of administration, realized a “new business model” was needed to streamline the various operations.

Looking down the street, Kimker observed John Williams, who had guided the Skirvin as general manager since it reopened in 1997. Williams had decades of experience overseeing restaurants and hotels, and Kimker saw in Williams the ideal person to oversee all of the company's needs in terms of its hotel and restaurant operations.

That move ended ties with Coury Properties, though Erwin remains as general manager.

Kimker said changes are in store for the Buthions' La Baguette restaurant as well, but he's quick to note that, as with Coury, he's very satisfied with the Buthions' work at the Colcord. The business model may be changing, he says, but no one is rushing the Buthions out the door.

Read more: http://newsok.com/hotel-changes-reflecting-new-business-plan/article/3533157#ixzz1BOnNvdTd

BoulderSooner, you might take note that Steve has requested that when we are referencing his articles we only post a link with perhaps an abbreviated quote instead of posting the complete article.

edcrunk
01-19-2011, 07:03 AM
I work at La Baguette in the Colcord. I'm excited about my new boss, it sucked being the neglected, bastard step child La Baguette. Some people are worried that we'll lose our jobs. I guess only time will tell.

Pete
01-19-2011, 08:28 AM
It sure sounds like Devon is planning on keeping the Colcord for a while.

metro
01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
BoulderSooner, you might take note that Steve has requested that when we are referencing his articles we only post a link with perhaps an abbreviated quote instead of posting the complete article.

Lj, if you notice in another thread, they got into a little discussion because it's Sreves rule, not a Daily Oklahoman rule. we have permission from the paper to repose entire article and have had it for years.

flintysooner
01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Lj, if you notice in another thread, they got into a little discussion because it's Sreves rule, not a Daily Oklahoman rule. we have permission from the paper to repose entire article and have had it for years.
Actually Pete posted an announcement about this:
http://www.okctalk.com/announcement.php?f=5
and we do not have permission from The Oklahoman to post entire articles.

I thought we did but obviously not now.

Steve
01-19-2011, 09:22 PM

xx

soonerguru
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
I work at La Baguette in the Colcord. I'm excited about my new boss, it sucked being the neglected, bastard step child La Baguette. Some people are worried that we'll lose our jobs. I guess only time will tell.

So, what is changing at the downtown location?