08-03-2010, 02:11 AM
development
|category1=Film Row
|category2=Schools
|category3=Current
|category4=
|
|project=Downtown Elementary School
|address=Block bounded by Walker, Dewey, Sheridan, California (http://goo.gl/maps/Gu32O)
|status=funded
|owner=OKC Public Schools
|cost=$8,800,000
|architect=TAP Architecture
|start=
|finish=
|contractor=
|height=
|sq. feet=
|acerage=
|other=Tentatively planned as charter school
|
|image=http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/elementarywiki1.jpg
|

Information & Latest News
1/16/14: Frequently Asked Questions (10/17/12: TAP Architecture designs approved by design review board)
1/23/13: $14.2 million building permit application
11/14/12: Application for construction fence
10/17/12: TAP Architecture designs approved by design review board
8/3/10: Former OKC Mayor Presents Plans for Downtown Elementary School (http://newsok.com/former-oklahoma-city-mayor-kirk-humphreys-presents-plans-for-downtown-elementary-school/article/3481935?custom_click=headlines_widget#ixzz0vWo7IlT M)
Links
Gallery

UfHoKnj1Gig

metro
08-03-2010, 08:12 AM
I think it's great and long overdue. This will help us develop a stronger, more sustainable downtown and inner core. Did you read the ignorant comments on NewsOK? Half those people live in the suburbs or outside of OKC City limits. I'm sure they'd get vocal if we criticized their hood or rural town and told them how to develop their neck of the woods.

betts
08-03-2010, 12:13 PM
People who complain are fine with brand new schools being built or old ones being improved in other neighborhoods, especially theirs. But, if it's downtown and a Humphreys proposed it, there's a certain group of people who automatically assume he's the only one who will benefit. Larry Nichols wanted a new school built downtown too, IIRC. I'm trying to remember if some of the Project 180 funds were supposed to be involved.

BDP
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Humphreys said he expected the charter school to eventually move into facilities to be constructed by the district with money from MAPS for Kids, through which voters approved an $8.8 million elementary school to be built downtown.

Man, I wish there were some old buildings downtown we could just renovate for about $9 million for them.

; )

BDK
08-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I think it's a great idea. If the plan is to get young professionals to move downtown, a charter elementary school will definitely help get them and keep them there. That Bill guy posting on NewsOK is a huge dick, too.

fuzzytoad
08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I think it's a great idea. If the plan is to get young professionals to move downtown, a charter elementary school will definitely help get them and keep them there. That Bill guy posting on NewsOK is a huge dick, too.

???

If most "young professionals" are childless singles or couples, how is an elementary school going to entice them?

If they do plan on having children, wouldn't they move to an area that offers choices in large number of bedrooms and large yards so they can raise a family? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no housing like that anywhere downtown.

BDP
08-03-2010, 02:22 PM
If they do plan on having children, wouldn't they move to an area that offers choices in large number of bedrooms and large yards so they can raise a family?

No doubt. Children these days need at least one large bedroom to themselves and plenty of room to graze.

jbrown84
08-05-2010, 01:24 PM
There's a certain demographic that doesn't care about suburban living.

Spartan
08-05-2010, 01:40 PM
These comments are awesomely bad, as always... a few favorites..

Kevin, OKC
"Maybe MAPS for Kids DID intend to build a school downtown," (no I'm pretty sure the ballot was not worded "Maybe" lol) but I doubt there was a clause that said it would be a freebie for he and his group. (Then what would it be? They're paying for it in taxes just like you, so..ugh nevermind.) ALSO, MAPS for Kids was passed BEFORE the downturn in the economy. (So you're advocating that we stray from the ballot after the voters approved it..good idea, who needs stinkin transparency anyway) If the catchment area were predominantly for poor and middle class kids, the plan would be scrapped in favor of more economical busing. I can think of at least 4 charter schools within five miles of downtown. (Wow, the whole inner city has how many? Sheesh..) How many more do we really need? Maybe this is in truth just a Freudian thing where Humphreys feels 'inferior' to Boren at OU or Humphreys' buddy Hargis at OSU... (yeah, because charter schools and major research universities have so much in common)

Bill, Nowhere
"The parents of those 15 children knew or should have known the location of schools in relation to the 4 blocks of your neighborhood BEFORE they moved to you area. So don't go crying foul just yet."

Which he said after saying: "Building the school before the housing developments ,is putting the cart before the horse. Bad idea,as funding for developments is not a sure thing in todays economy. If the economic indicators were more positive, it would still be a risky venture. Schools should be built to satisfy a real need, not feed the egos of a few investors. If housing downtown becomes a reality, the need for a few schools would be an eventuality that would need to be addressed...IMHO"

I love how scary clueless people in Oklahoma are.

BDP
08-05-2010, 03:58 PM
There's a certain demographic that doesn't care about suburban living.

And apparently they're all elitist commie terrorists who don't know how to raise children that we're better off without.

BOBTHEBUILDER
08-05-2010, 04:15 PM
And apparently they're all elitist commie terrorists who don't know how to raise children that we're better off without.

Let me guess, this downtown elementary school that we are so desperately in need of will be built somewhere on or near the downtown airpark. Anyone else smell a rat here.
Kinda like the ole Putnam City days, we need more schools in the Putnam City area and I (Kirk H.) have the land we can build them on. lol. Come on Kirk, you can do better than that, not every citizen in OKC is as totally stupid as you might think. lol

Spartan
08-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Bob... (sigh) the downtown airpark is not even one of the 4 or 5 sites being looked at for the new school. And the downtown airpark land is not even owned by Kirk specifically...

So, in your book, does our esteemed former mayor even get to breath in air without you people "smelling a rat"?

betts
08-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Shall we wait and see where the proposed site is before doing any sniffing? The airpark is across the river from downtown, remember. I seem to remember prior to the MAPS 3 vote people here stating that the Convention Center would be built at the airpark as well, which was obviously not true.

Spartan
08-05-2010, 05:25 PM
For those who actually want to see what will be built on that site, before formulating some cockomany conspiracy theories, here's a good place to start: http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Who did Kirk Humphreys even piss off? Are people still upset that we had a mayor more than just ideologically committed to downtown rhetoric?

BOBTHEBUILDER
08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Shall we wait and see where the proposed site is before doing any sniffing? The airpark is across the river from downtown, remember. I seem to remember prior to the MAPS 3 vote people here stating that the Convention Center would be built at the airpark as well, which was obviously not true.

I may be getting the cart ahead of the horse here. We will just have to wait and see.
I can assure you that their are plans in place by these people do to do something with the downtown airpark, something so big it was smart to buy this land and sit on it. There is no problem with land speculation. The problem lies when you have insider information and influence to what that property is to become prior to purchasing it. But we will just have to wait and see.

I guess some of you were in diapers or in elementary school or wearing blinders when he used his influence on the PC school board to try to get schools built on land that he owned. HMM, thats the rat I am speaking of. Lets just see if history repeats itself.

BOBTHEBUILDER
08-05-2010, 05:36 PM
For those who actually want to see what will be built on that site, before formulating some cockomany conspiracy theories, here's a good place to start: http://www.humphreysco.com/#/projects/the-waterfront/

Who did Kirk Humphreys even piss off? Are people still upset that we had a mayor more than just ideologically committed to downtown rhetoric?

Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.

Spartan
08-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Here are the guys that held political office just to name a couple who are going to profit from this Riverfront project thats been in place for years, Ron Norick, ex mayor, Kirk Humphreys ex mayor, and that is just the tip of the list.

Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.

BOBTHEBUILDER
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Wow, I'm actually at a loss. I've said this before in another thread, but I'll say it again. There really is no point in arguing with you..your views are so off base, so ludicrous, and so firmly held that there is no point in even telling you why you're wrong.

Time will tell.....
Lets just say, its years and years of observing the same behavior with different players.
And yes the views I have are firmly held, so dont waste your time, I know better, I have seen it first hand.

Spartan
08-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Well, you may actually be right, on second thought. After I clicked "post quick reply" I instantly regretted coming down on you for being skeptical. It is good that people be skeptical and I'm not going to defend Kirk on the specific allegations from the past that you mention, although I would almost always otherwise normally defend him, because he's a good guy. He's not nearly as influential or as rich as people like to accuse him of being, either...to be honest. Compared to everyone else on the Chamber Board he's one of the most regular joes you'll find.

I guess I'm full of contradictions these days, out one side of my mouth defending the movers and shakers downtown, and out the other side of my mouth lambasting them and accusing them of corruption when it comes to urban development and handling of MAPS 3 which has been bad so far. And I was one of MAPS 3's staunchest supporters, too.

I guess if I need to unload on the powers that be, why not everyone. I still don't sense anything wrong with the urban school, and I honestly don't see the importance of Kirk in this at all besides the fact that he has always been a big believer in downtown, someone who truly understands urbanism I think, someone who has riled up the anti-downtown people, someone who has pissed off the people who need OKC to keep sprawling for their bottom line, and he's also always been a huge proponent of the inner city schools. This is not Kirk Humphreys Elementary. The esteemed former mayor is just someone who is familiar with the power structure, MAPS for Kids (it was his initiative), and OCPS..now he's volunteering to help downtowners get the ball rolling on what will be a huge boost for the downtown community.

This is all about creating a real community downtown, and why deny that? Why deny downtowners the ability to have a real community that is meaningful and family-friendly when it exists everywhere else in OKC. Is it because people are worried about competition now? I don't get it, why be so anti-downtown? Why be against anywhere that is trying to develop into a real community?

BOBTHEBUILDER
08-05-2010, 11:50 PM
Well, you may actually be right, on second thought. After I clicked "post quick reply" I instantly regretted coming down on you for being skeptical. It is good that people be skeptical and I'm not going to defend Kirk on the specific allegations from the past that you mention, although I would almost always otherwise normally defend him, because he's a good guy. He's not nearly as influential or as rich as people like to accuse him of being, either...to be honest. Compared to everyone else on the Chamber Board he's one of the most regular joes you'll find.

I guess I'm full of contradictions these days, out one side of my mouth defending the movers and shakers downtown, and out the other side of my mouth lambasting them and accusing them of corruption when it comes to urban development and handling of MAPS 3 which has been bad so far. And I was one of MAPS 3's staunchest supporters, too.

I guess if I need to unload on the powers that be, why not everyone. I still don't sense anything wrong with the urban school, and I honestly don't see the importance of Kirk in this at all besides the fact that he has always been a big believer in downtown, someone who truly understands urbanism I think, someone who has riled up the anti-downtown people, someone who has pissed off the people who need OKC to keep sprawling for their bottom line, and he's also always been a huge proponent of the inner city schools. This is not Kirk Humphreys Elementary. The esteemed former mayor is just someone who is familiar with the power structure, MAPS for Kids (it was his initiative), and OCPS..now he's volunteering to help downtowners get the ball rolling on what will be a huge boost for the downtown community.

This is all about creating a real community downtown, and why deny that? Why deny downtowners the ability to have a real community that is meaningful and family-friendly when it exists everywhere else in OKC. Is it because people are worried about competition now? I don't get it, why be so anti-downtown? Why be against anywhere that is trying to develop into a real community?

Im not trying to be negative and apologize if my comments came across that way. Mr. Humphreys may have all of the best intentions in the world with this school. I hope that he does and this is not a get rich scheme at tax payer expense.

You are obviously passionate about yours beliefs in the downtown area, so who am I too question those beliefs. I will give you the respect that you deserve for standing up for your position, we can agree to disagree and move on.

Larry OKC
08-05-2010, 11:54 PM
There is something to what Bob the Builder said about Humphreys when he was in charge with the Putnam City School Board. Don't recall the details and couldn't find much online. That said, that was eons ago (before he became Mayor). As far as I know he hasn't had any "problems" since then. I voted for him as mayor based on his campaign that he could finish MAPS on time and on budget (neither turned out to be true). I lost a lot of respect for him when he pushed the 6 month extension of the tax.

Then there was the whole MAPS for Kids. Not against MAPS for Kids, but the City and the school district are separate and distinct entities and he was pushing the school district agenda as Mayor. Much like the City is not supposed to campaign for the elections they call, yet Cornett did exactly that with MAPS 3. There are things that are getting intertwined and supposedly against the law, yet we keep seeing it happen again and again.

He made some questionable decisions as Mayor. He thought we didn't need 2 arenas sitting side-by-side and advocated replacing the arena with convention space. But having those arenas was a big selling point in landing the Big 12 and other events.

After insisting that we couldn't keep maintaining the Crosstown, when the relocation route was picked he wanted to keep the Crosstown as a business route. Ummm, if we couldn't afford the maintenance before, how could we afford the maintenance as a business route? Especially when the same trucks that cause the majority of the damage (something like a 65 to 1 ratio to a passenger car) would still be the primary users of that route?

All that said, there were a couple of things Humphreys did right. It was under his leadership that the City stepped in and helped save the Skirvin (if only Cornett would do the same for the India Temple)! And when he decided to run for higher office, he resigned as Mayor. I would have taken it a step farther and had him pay for the special election to replace him, but it was a great first step and I think ALL elected officials that make that choice to seek a higher office should do the same (if it means they aren't going to be able to complete their elected term). Serving the term for which you are elected is one of the most fundamental promises a candidate makes. When that promise is broken....

rcjunkie
08-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Bob... (sigh) the downtown airpark is not even one of the 4 or 5 sites being looked at for the new school. And the downtown airpark land is not even owned by Kirk specifically...

So, in your book, does our esteemed former mayor even get to breath in air without you people "smelling a rat"?

He's bored and has no life, he's just trying to invent some type of conspiricy that's not there.

rcjunkie
08-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I may be getting the cart ahead of the horse here. We will just have to wait and see.
I can assure you that their are plans in place by these people do to do something with the downtown airpark, something so big it was smart to buy this land and sit on it. There is no problem with land speculation. The problem lies when you have insider information and influence to what that property is to become prior to purchasing it. But we will just have to wait and see.

I guess some of you were in diapers or in elementary school or wearing blinders when he used his influence on the PC school board to try to get schools built on land that he owned. HMM, thats the rat I am speaking of. Lets just see if history repeats itself.

Yes, there's plans for this property, was in the papers right after they closed on the property.
FYI, that's why developers buy property.

rcjunkie
08-06-2010, 09:41 AM

How will Ron Norick profit from this ?

betts
08-06-2010, 10:04 AM
The downtown airpark was purchased in 2006, long after we all knew about Core to Shore, which makes it difficult to call the purchase secondary to insider information. I think it was probably a smart loooooong-term investment, but it's still risky, in that we have no idea when Core to Shore will reach the river. It may be 10 to 20 years before that area appeals to residents or businesses.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20061130/ai_n16909401/

Eep
08-06-2010, 10:19 AM
For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (http://www.okcps.k12.ok.us/PRE/Profiles/Wilson.pdf) (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. (http://www.wilsonartsinc.org/) was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.

Midtowner
08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
A downtown school would mean Humphreys would stand to make a mint developing downtown residential properties as one of the primary obstacles to living downtown with kids would be removed. Let's not pretend he's being totally charitable in this pursuit. That said, this would be to the betterment of the city regardless of who makes money and I don't mind seeing nice guys win every so often.

Spartan
08-06-2010, 01:01 PM
For anyone who doubts the need for another downtown elementary school, look at the numbers for Wilson (http://www.okcps.k12.ok.us/PRE/Profiles/Wilson.pdf) (PDF). Wilson is overflowing, and the capacity problems have gotten much worse the last few years as more people have moved downtown. Their class sizes are huge for an elementary school. Even after all the renovations are complete, it will still only have a 346 student capacity.

While we're on the subject of Wilson, it's worth pointing out that a non-profit named Wilson Arts, Inc. (http://www.wilsonartsinc.org/) was formed to help support the school. Wilson Arts, Inc. raised over $684,000 through a capital campaign to supplement the MAPS renovations, particularly those concerning the fine arts classrooms. Kirk Humphreys and Dannie Bea Hightower were the co-chairs of this organization's board of directors.

I love a good conspiracy theory, but let's not act as if Kirk Humphreys doesn't have a history of supporting this particular cause.

THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.

Midtowner
08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
THANK YOU. My point exactly. It's a teachable lesson that Kirk soured his reputation with one weird deal, but it is ridiculous for people who have done squat for OKC to lambaste someone who has for a long time been committed to community and education, both downtown, and city-wide.

This isn't the Kirk Humphreys Elementary School. He is just lending a hand to help the downtowners behind this to get the ball rolling and navigate the process.

Who is lambasting him? He's a developer. A good developer financially benefits when he benefits the community. If he's laying the groundwork for development which will lure wealthy taxpayers back from the 'burbs and generally improve our downtown, great. That's a good thing. His reasons may not be 100% altruistic, but on the balance, this is all good stuff for OKC.

Spartan
08-06-2010, 01:15 PM
The fact of the matter is that downtown development drained Humphreys Co of resources and now they're building lake houses out at Eufala in order to stay afloat and build themselves back up so they can get back in the downtown game...

Keep that in mind if we're going to frame Kirk's backing this cause with the whole greedy developer thing..

Who is lambasting him?

I hope that he does and this is not a get rich scheme at tax payer expense.

All in all, I'm starting to think crappy journalism is to blame for this. Kirk Humphreys isn't proposing anything new and the article doesn't stress (not even for its braindead readers apparently) that this was approved EONS ago in MAPS for Kids. Actually, it was proposed by Kirk Humphreys..in like, 1998. And then overwhelmingly approved by voters. Article fails to mention THAT.

CaseyCornett
08-09-2010, 03:02 PM
that said, this would be to the betterment of the city regardless of who makes money and I don't mind seeing nice guys win every so often.

:congrats:

This new school would potentially benefit hundreds of kids and future generations of development in OKC. I fall into the "group" that if/when I buy a condo downtown in the next couple of years, I do so realizing I will move again when I have kids ready for school because the numbers show me my children will benefit more elsewhere.
The desire and demand from this "group" of people is a lot larger than most people think. This school could spark so much good in this city that to say this shouldn't happen because one man could financially benefit is completely selfish. If someone doesn't agree with it from the City's standpoint, I can respect that. But if someone doesn't agree with it because they have sour grapes towards someone that could financially benefit, I think that is just complete selfish thinking for taking away a great thing for the city because of a grudge you have with someone.
The city and its future demands way more respect than your 15 year grudge.

Spartan
08-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Bob the Builder may just have sour grapes over the idea that his suburban sprawl LLC won't benefit from a new school being built in downtown like it would if it were out on the hinterlands of Central Oklahoma. That said, I just don't understand the people who only view City Hall actions in terms of who is making money off of it. Sometimes it's just the right thing for the city to do, but that never matters.

okyeah
08-10-2010, 12:52 AM

But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street

From NewsOK:

The city school board voted to close Dunbar Elementary, 1432 NE Seventh, this year in the face of an enrollment of 176 students and the potential savings of $300,000 a year.

Students from Dunbar Elementary will be split between two schools. Those who live north of NE 10 Street will attend Parks Elementary School and students who live south of NE 10 Street will attend Edwards Elementary. The district will offer transportation to both schools from the old Dunbar, 1432 NE Seventh St

Again, OKCPS does not need to build any more new schools. They can't even maintain the ones they do have. I'm trying to say this in the nicest way possible, as I was OKCPS-educated from K-12.

Larry OKC
08-10-2010, 03:36 AM
Bob the Builder may just have sour grapes over the idea that his suburban sprawl LLC won't benefit from a new school being built in downtown like it would if it were out on the hinterlands of Central Oklahoma. That said, I just don't understand the people who only view City Hall actions in terms of who is making money off of it. Sometimes it's just the right thing for the city to do, but that never matters.

I think that should just be part of the focus. But is it the right thing to do even if illegal means are used to accomplish it? The end justifying the means?

It also amazes me that some (not pointed at you Spartan) who don't have any problem when the City or its leaders engage in illegal activity. And continue on with the illegal activity only because "that is what the voters are used too" and when they admit prior actions were probably illegal but they continue on with it because "no one challenged it". Promising that they will adhere to the law this time, but then do the exact opposite?

NOT trying to imply that any illegal activity is going on in this particular instance.

But aren't there laws in place that if certain criteria is met, makes it illegal for elected City officials (and former) from financially benefiting from City actions. Especially if they knew about those actions beforehand?

Again, I am not saying that has happened in this case or not. I don't know enough background on it.

Eep
08-10-2010, 08:31 AM
But what about OTHER okc public elementary schools in the area that are not at capacity? the last thing OKCPS needs to do is build a new school...

Some other OKCPS schools nearby (probably about the same distance from downtown as Wilson)

*Dunbar Elementary address: 1432 NE 7th Street
Westwood Elementary address is 1701 Exchange Avenue
Moon Academy grades K-8 address 1901 Northeast 13th Street

For reference (PDF):
Dunbar (http://www.okcps.k12.ok.us/PRE/Profiles/Dunbar.pdf)
Westwood (http://www.okcps.k12.ok.us/PRE/Profiles/Westwood.pdf)
Moon (http://www.okcps.k12.ok.us/PRE/Profiles/Moon.pdf)

First of all, not a single one of those schools' boundaries includes downtown. I didn't select Wilson as an example randomly; I chose it because it serves downtown.

Secondly, the only one of the three with decent academic performance is Westwood. Dunbar was failing academically. Moon is failing academically, and has just been named to the "needs improvement" list for the fifth consecutive year. From a NewsOK article (http://www.newsok.com/article/3467001?) on June 8, 2010:

The board also approved a continuous learning calendar at F.D. Moon Academy as part of the school's mandated federal reform because of poor academic performance for five consecutive years. School will begin 12 days earlier and provide an additional 15 days of instruction during intercession for students behind grade level.

Ed Allen, president of the American Federation of Teachers, said teachers at Moon were not pleased to find out during the last week of school that next year would be a continuous learning calendar.

"Half of the teachers have requested to transfer,” Allen said. "Reform is pretty tough when you surprise people at the last minute.”

Are you really suggesting that people who live or want to live downtown should be ok with having to file transfer applications to send their children to failing schools in other areas? That's ludicrous.

betts
12-10-2010, 03:06 PM
New article by Steve:

The downtown development community is watching closely as site selection is about to begin for a downtown elementary school — one of the final projects in the MAPS for Kids program.

Architect hired to oversee site selection, design of downtown OKC elementary TAParchitecture, which oversaw design of four other MAPS for Kids schools and is a longtime player in the downtown business community, was chosen for the task.

Anthony McDermid, a principal in the firm, said the project will be unlike other MAPS for Kids schools.

“We have been discussing an urban school,” McDermid said. “The possibility of it being on more than one level is certainly being contemplated. I will be very surprised if it's a suburban model in an urban context.”

Read more: http://newsok.com/architect-hired-to-oversee-site-selection-design-of-downtown-okc-elementary/article/3522457#ixzz17kV4bS00

leprechaun
12-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Nice! Hopefully the end result will be urban in design. This is a very important development in terms of attracting more downtown residents.

mcca7596
12-10-2010, 04:23 PM
What about on Oklahoma Avenue north of Jimmy John's? It's just north of the majority of new housing and is more truly "downtown" than midtown, which is where I assume several of the site proposals will be.

Kerry
12-10-2010, 05:38 PM
This is a prime opportunity to make an iconic school downtown. I wish we could get some old-school throw back design like this.

http://0.tqn.com/d/okc/1/0/K/H/School.jpg

Larry OKC
12-10-2010, 10:59 PM
^^^

Yes!

ljbab728
12-10-2010, 11:39 PM
You'll notice they have not ruled adapting an existing building which is something I would favor if something suitable can be found.

Larry OKC
12-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Is the Oklahoma City High School building still in existence (as seen in this postcard at the link below). Sorry not a direct link, have to scroll down to the "Schools" section. If anyone can directly post here feel free. Looks like it might have been downtown.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.usgwarchives.org/ok/oklahoma/postcards/ocpo.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.usgwarchives.org/ok/oklahoma/postcards/ppcs-okco.html&usg=__H14LlaSxY-p6NWhvaWsM_IFv5uU=&h=352&w=552&sz=57&hl=en&start=34&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=btCoxQ9W7a8l7M:&tbnh=85&tbnw=133&prev=/images%3Fq%3DOklahoma%2BCity%2Bdowntown%2Bpost%2Bo ffice%2Bbuilding%26start%3D21%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%2 6client%3Dmozilla%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:unofficial%26ndsp%3D21%26tbs%3Disch:1

ljbab728
12-11-2010, 12:39 AM
Larry, it absolutely still exists. It is shown in post number 8116 above. It was later known as Central High School and has until recently served as an office building for Southwestern Bell.

Spartan
12-11-2010, 12:53 AM
The downtown elementary will go a long ways toward helping to establish a true residential neighborhood downtown.

betts
12-11-2010, 06:43 AM
The downtown elementary will go a long ways toward helping to establish a true residential neighborhood downtown.

That's what I'm hoping. I have a friend with a two year old who is really wanting to move downtown but was hesitant because of the school situation. I'm sure she is not the only one who wouldn't currently move because of the absence of a school.

It will be interesting to see if the eventual site is in C2S or somewhere farther north.

ljbab728
12-11-2010, 11:24 PM
That's what I'm hoping. I have a friend with a two year old who is really wanting to move downtown but was hesitant because of the school situation. I'm sure she is not the only one who wouldn't currently move because of the absence of a school.

It will be interesting to see if the eventual site is in C2S or somewhere farther north.

If they don't adapt an existing building, I think the C2S area would be ideal considering the potential for future housing in that area and the opportunity to take an unused land area and develop it to suit the needs of the school instead of the other way around.

Patrick
12-12-2010, 01:43 AM
Would love to see the old Central High School building be re-converted into the downtown school.

Spartan
12-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I think you'd see more people arguing that if only the old Central High School building were in any kind of danger. It does not need to be an elementary school in order to remain a good part of downtown.

We have enough old buildings that are in real danger, if we want to talk about renovating a vacant historic building.

And ljbab, how do we develop C2S to fit the needs of the elementary school? That sounds kinda like Bricktown currently..Lol

ljbab728
12-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I think you'd see more people arguing that if only the old Central High School building were in any kind of danger. It does not need to be an elementary school in order to remain a good part of downtown.

We have enough old buildings that are in real danger, if we want to talk about renovating a vacant historic building.

And ljbab, how do we develop C2S to fit the needs of the elementary school? That sounds kinda like Bricktown currently..Lol

Spartan, I didn't say anything about developing C2S to fit the needs of an elementary school. What I meant was the school could be developed to suit the needs of the school. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. And as for the Central High School building, it's much too large for an elementary school.

Spartan
12-12-2010, 10:54 PM
Agree completely with you. Glad you did not mean that a non-suburban neighborhood should be built around an elementary school.

But it's actually not a bad or illegitimate idea. We have neighborhoods all over the inner north south, as well as the inner south, that were built with schools as their center piece. I just think we have too far to go till building urbs for families is economically viable, although I could be wrong, maybe that's what this equation has been missing all long. Maybe in order for Bricktown to thrive we need a completely separate thing for families and need to tap the economic power of families in OKC.

Just some contrasting thoughts to throw out there..

HOT ROD
12-14-2010, 09:27 PM
I want to see Central return as OKC's High School or perhaps some advanced high school similar to Classen or OSSM, and there be more than one small but very well built/designed elementary school downtown (maybe one in C2S later, and one in Deep Deuce now, maybe one in Midtown also later). Central is such a beautiful grand building, with great teaching - should motivate students to be all they can be and perhaps could rub off on the other schools in the city. ....

We need Oklahoma City Central High School - A downtown incubator for the rest of the city, sound familiar?

Spartan
12-15-2010, 04:27 PM
No it doesn't. What are you talking about?

Pete
12-15-2010, 04:31 PM
An elementary school would not only encourage more young families to live and stay downtown, it will also be a place where the community can be built up through interaction of the kids, parents and teachers.

Schools are always great places for people to come together and bond.

Spartan
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
I think the bonding factor will be bigger down the road with people who have memories growing up going to the downtown elementary school, and that's definitely something to be excited about... for 2030.

CaseyCornett
12-17-2010, 07:58 AM
This is a prime opportunity to make an iconic school downtown. I wish we could get some old-school throw back design like this.

http://0.tqn.com/d/okc/1/0/K/H/School.jpg

My granddad went to this high school in the mid/late 1930's, and I would love it if my (future) kids got the opportunity to go to school there too.

I hope to move downtown in the next two years but I am doing so knowing I will need to relocate in another 5 years after that for schooling...unless this school gets completed.

I fall into that large group of 20-somethings that is holding back "taking the plunge" and moving into downtown (to buy, not rent) unless better schooling is provided. This will definitely a project that will have my full attention until it is built.

Nextlevel
01-09-2011, 06:00 PM
Has anyone heard if the downtown elementary school has made any progress? Have they picked a location? Do they have a projected opening date? Are they planning to move into an existing building or build new?

Spartan
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
There are 5 sites being evaluated, no decisions made yet. Someone will be able to correct me, but I think these are some of the sites being looked at:

1 Core to Shore
2 Walker/Sheridan
3 Old Central High School bldg
4 Deep Deuce
5 Forget on the 5th

I understand that they will be looking for a combination of factors. The streetcar is going to be a consideration, because that could be a great, safe method for parents to drop their kids off, which schoolkids were once a major part of OKC streetcar ridership back in the day. Also, they'll be looking for available land and proximity to residential density, or where they see that developing in the next 10 years.

I think they'll probably build new, but if they use an existing old building it will be the old Central High, which is one of the options.

Nextlevel
01-09-2011, 07:32 PM
what is number #5?

Spartan
01-09-2011, 07:46 PM
I don't know, my memory runs short on all the sites being considered but it must not have been a priority site. I can also say that McDermid was selected as the architect of record and that it will be phased as the very last MAPS for Kids project, so probably 4-5 years from now, it will be built.

My personal thought is that it needs to be in a residential area that is currently eminent. Not to throw all our eggs in one basket that doesn't even exist yet, Core to Shore. First preference is Sheridan/Walker on the empty block just west of the Stage Center, surrounded by the Arts District (residential density), Film Row, and the Myriad Gardens. Second preference would be Deep Deuce..

Rover
01-09-2011, 10:09 PM
How about the area between about 10th and 13th on Broadway, east side of the street. Run the streetcars past it for the kids to ride. That would service downtown and Heritage Hills quite nicely.