View Full Version : For those Visiting OK- Recommendations

Karried
03-13-2005, 12:42 PM
If you had relatives coming to OK or even if you had someone wanting to know what exactly there is to do in OK - what would your favorite place to send them or take them?

A lot of people have the misconception that there is nothing to do in this state...

Care to prove them wrong?

I'll start...

I would take them to the required Murray Building Memorial
Then onto the Omniplex & Zoo
Bricktown, Harkins Theater and then to dinner
Possibly a concert at Ford Center

Okay, now I've hit some of the most obvious I need some pros to point out some 'out of the way' spots that most don't know about.

:bright_id

Luke
03-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Add the Paseo Arts District to your list. Taking a stroll down Paseo Drive window shopping at all the little art studios is pretty cool.

Also, you may want to take them to Sushi Neko or Musahi's at the Western Avenue District. The little shops through there are nice as well.

I always make a point to drive through Nichols Hills or Heritage Hills when people with low expectations of OKC come to visit me. They are always impressed and many times surprised that historic, leafy, beautiful neighborhoods exist in OKC.

dirtrider73068
03-13-2005, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't have aplce to take them most of my family live here already, except my parents. They moved back to texas, where dad wanted to be instead of here doesn't like the taxes and claims texas is better.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-13-2005, 09:16 PM
I would take the Paseo off my own list... that is until downtown housing alleviates some of the seahorse problem they have up there.

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 10:58 PM
What is a seahorse problem?

floater
03-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Besides Bricktown, I like driving up Lincoln and describing what's going on with the OUHSC/Research Park area, then the nice Lincoln Terrace homes, then the state capitol.The most requested is site is the bombing memorial and either Stockyards City or the western heritage museum.
Other stuff deals with dining - Little Saigon, a restaurant on Lake Hefner, and Braum's. For shopping, it's always Penn Square.

Patrick
03-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Great topic Karrie.

In town: Bricktown, OKC Zoo, Omniplex and Omnidome, Cowboy and Western Heritage State Capitol, Harn Homestead, Oklahoma Musuem of History (the state museum...a new building soon to open), Frontier City (it's not that bad!!!), Sam Noble Museum of Natural History and the entire OU campus (everyone likes to see where the OU Sooners football team plays), Firefighter's museum (if they're interested), Softball Hall of Fame (if they're interested), Will Rogers Park, Overholser/Hefner mansions, etc.

Outside of town: Robber's Cave State Park, Beaver's Bend State Park (show your tourists the Smokey Mtns. of Oklahoma!!), Lake Murray, Wichita Mtns. Wildlife Refuge, Chickasaw National Recreation Area (Sulphur, OK), many of the state parks in NE Oklahoma, etc.