View Full Version : "Holy Books" and the Selectivity of Religious Practitioners

Joe Daddy
01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
I've read the Bible through twice in my life, plus spent a significant amount of time studying it. I've read a lot of the Koran, but not all and some of the Torah. I've read enough of these "holy" books to note that all contain violence, and that most of the followers of these religions pick and choose which sections they will adhere to and follow, and others they ignore.

My questions, respectfully, to believers of whatever religion, are:

1. "How do you decide which sections to follow and which to ignore"?

2. "If some sections are viewed as reasonable to follow, and others as unreasonable, how do you reconcile your religion as valid in the whole"?

This is not an invitation to non-believers to attack believers, so guys, please be nice to each other. I'd like to understand how it is all sorted out in individuals minds, not debate or criticize the individuals reasons.

HewenttoJared
01-01-2011, 08:13 AM
My own religious beliefs view those three books as instruction manuals for past times. They may seem violent by todays standards, but take a look at the people they were revealed to. Human life was literally worthless to them. I think if I did not believe in successive revelation of religious texts and ideas I would have a very hard time accepting any of those three as inspired. BUT I think most scholars of all three of those faiths have published numerous works showing a peaceful interpretation of how to live from their texts.