View Full Version : R.i.p.

Pages : [1] 2 3

OKCTalker
12-31-2010, 12:15 PM
This thread announces the closure of businesses in the metro area. As with each business that closes, another usually opens in its place. So when you hear of a business closing down or gone, post it here, including what you hear may be coming next. Here is a partial list of recent businesses that have closed or are closing:

Bicycle Alley at 1015 N. Broadway. Closed in November (?) by owner Terry Enos after being overwhelmed by Schlegel Bicycles across the street (+/-) at 900 N. Broadway. Space for lease in building owned by Steve Mason (who shouldn’t have any trouble filling it).

Bruno’s Furniture at 3704 N. Western – Closed after owner retired.

Galleria Furniture at 3700 W. I-40 Service Road – Turns out they’re not really going out of business, just closing their doors.

Alan Gordon Jewelers at 6517 N. May – Another company that didn’t go out of business, but closed its doors for a reopening. Arthur Gordon (Alan Gordon’s son) owns JewelSmiths in Edmond, and he’s rebranding the May Avenue store.

Leo’s BBQ at 7 Harrison Avenue & 3631 N. Kelley – Closed in early December (?) for non-payment of taxes, but they reopened in both locations right before Christmas. Stay tuned.

Midtown Deli at 1215 N. Walker – Closed in December, but will reopen as a Louie’s.

Who else has a business to post?

remy11
12-31-2010, 12:35 PM
I dunno if it really counts but there's Waldenbooks in Penn Square

and although it hasn't officially been announced, Abercrombie & Fitch and abercrombie kids in Quail will both be leaving the second week of January

MustangGT
12-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Emmer Brothers

Holly's Drive In

etc

Easy180
12-31-2010, 04:40 PM
County Line

Patrick
12-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Wow, that's surprising that national retailer Abercrombie and Fitch is leaving Quail Springs Mall. Any idea if they're just relocating within the mall? Losing such a common standard mall staple like Abercrombie and Fitch from your mall isn't a good sign for a mall. It would be kinda like losing Gap or The Limited.

And, is Galleria Furniture really closing? They've become such a huge presence in the OKC furniture market. I thought they were doing pretty well competing with Mathis Brothers. Any updates on whether they're staying open or not? Don't see any signs of them closing on their website: http://galleriafurn.com/

kevinpate
12-31-2010, 08:53 PM
if memory serves, the closure of Galleria is a temporary closing for some remodeling

remy11
12-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Wow, that's surprising that national retailer Abercrombie and Fitch is leaving Quail Springs Mall. Any idea if they're just relocating within the mall? Losing such a common standard mall staple like Abercrombie and Fitch from your mall isn't a good sign for a mall. It would be kinda like losing Gap or The Limited.

No, the company has been looking to close some of it's more poor performing stores. They are also closing their store in Sooner Fashion. There's rumor that the Hollister in Quail is the next to go but that's just talk. I know they pull in about half of what Penn does.

Patrick
12-31-2010, 11:40 PM
Not surprised. Especially with the loss of Heritage Park and Crossroads, Penn Square, with its central location, is really drawing from all over the metro. And I think Quail, by being more on the north side of the city, in comparison, is being hurt by that. Penn by far is the highest performing mall, selling more per square foot than any other mall in the state. Far exceeds Quail Springs. The only reason Quail has lucked out on getting stores like Forever 21 and Crazy 8, stores Penn hasn't gotten, is because they have the space to lease and Penn Square simply doesn't have large enough spaces available to lease for them.

Fingerguns
01-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Atomic Brown Scooter Shop -- 30th and N. Western.

Scooter sales are low thanks to the recession and decent gas prices, plus rent on Western is skyrocketing. Add in the fact that the window tint place in Norman sells scooters at almost cost and ABSS couldn't keep up. Another good family business bites the dust. :(

Debzkidz
01-02-2011, 08:09 AM
I'm surprised Abercrombie and Fitch, Abercrombie Kids or Hollister is still around anywhere. It's the same stuff, year after year. As for Quail Springs, I hate that mall and even though I live in Edmond and it's closer to my house, I drive the extra distance to shop at Penn Square. I don't go there unless I'm forced.

Platemaker
01-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Die A&F Die!!!

Spartan
01-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Die A&F Die!!!

No kidding. I actually used to work there back in high school. Talk about a screwed up place, a screwed up concept, a screwed up mentality, and so on. That whole culture just embodies everything that is awfully wrong with society.

ljbab728
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
No kidding. I actually used to work there back in high school. Talk about a screwed up place, a screwed up concept, a screwed up mentality, and so on. That whole culture just embodies everything that is awfully wrong with society.

You mean we don't all have perfect sexy bodies, Spartan? LOL

Jesseda
01-03-2011, 07:46 AM
galleria furniture sucks, i bought almost all the furniture there for our new home 4 years ago, and we dont have anything left, we replaced it, it broke or fell apart .. we paid good money for the items as well..

CaptDave
01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
galleria furniture sucks, i bought almost all the furniture there for our new home 4 years ago, and we dont have anything left, we replaced it, it broke or fell apart .. we paid good money for the items as well..

I looked there too and was very unimpressed. That place across the interstate is pretty darn good as far as quality and value. I am from North Carolina and my wife is from the town where three large furniture companies are headquartered and that "M" place has prices very comparable to what you can get in the factory outlets in NC.

CuatrodeMayo
01-03-2011, 09:58 AM

Nothing makes me want to shop at A&F more than the overwhelming smell of cologne and oiled-up naked men.

Thunder
01-03-2011, 10:03 AM
Nothing makes me want to shop at A&F more than the overwhelming smell of cologne and oiled-up naked men.

I have never seen naked men in the store. How did you find them?

Spartan
01-03-2011, 01:31 PM

This. It's an embarrassment to society that any guys actually work there.

But this thread is about Rest in Peace, not Die Already. Does anyone know what happened to County Line? That place was great. I heard from some friends that the one in San Antonio is still open (and good), and I know that the one in Austin still sucks.

MustangGT
01-03-2011, 06:25 PM
According to the GM lack of business, financial losses, and concern over the impending cost of compliance with mandated health care expenses. It certainly did not help that over 1/2 of the scheduled Christmas parties cancelled.

Spartan
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
So basically, ObamaCare put County Line out of business? That does it, I'm calling my represenative.

dismayed
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
This thread is like the Oklahoma Senate. A strange mixture of homo-eroticism and right-wing propaganda.

redrunner
01-03-2011, 07:00 PM
I have never seen naked men in the store. How did you find them?

You mean you're not signed up for their "catalog"?

Easy180
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
So basically, ObamaCare put County Line out of business? That does it, I'm calling my represenative.

Looks like one of the co owners died in a flood last Feb...Sure that didn't help either

Pure bs about the health care of course but I'm sure they really counted on the holiday parties to scrape by

circuitboard
01-03-2011, 08:05 PM
This thread is like the Oklahoma Senate. A strange mixture of homo-eroticism and right-wing propaganda.

Like!

Spartan
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM

What else do you expect from Thunder? Lol

TheTravellers
01-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Brown Suga's location on Memorial/Santa Fe (I think that's the cross-street it was near on Memorial), which they relocated to from NW 122nd/May. Happened very early in 2009, IIRC.

flippity
01-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Bruno's is closing? More parking for cock o' the walk ;)

TheTravellers
01-07-2011, 01:00 PM
The Cellar on NW Expressway/Rockwell lost their lease and will not be opening in that area again, they're just gone. And why don't they have a website that tells you their locations, phone numbers, general idea of what they stock (winemakers, breweries, just a general thing, not a list of all their stock), etc.? C'mon, it's the 21st century! Oh wait, I forgot where we are... :Smiley259

ljbab728
01-07-2011, 10:14 PM
The Cellar on NW Expressway/Rockwell lost their lease and will not be opening in that area again, they're just gone. And why don't they have a website that tells you their locations, phone numbers, general idea of what they stock (winemakers, breweries, just a general thing, not a list of all their stock), etc.? C'mon, it's the 21st century! Oh wait, I forgot where we are... :Smiley259

Just can't pass up a chance to take a swipe at OKC, can you?

TheTravellers
01-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Just can't pass up a chance to take a swipe at OKC, can you?

Nope. I'm not alone, though - I was taking a friend there who had never been, we found out it was closed, came back to the office, I tried to find their website to give him other locations, couldn't find a website, and told him. His reply was (verbatim) "What year is this again?!?!?" Trust me, there are lots of other people here frustrated over this kind of thing, not just me.

dankrutka
01-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Nope. I'm not alone, though - I was taking a friend there who had never been, we found out it was closed, came back to the office, I tried to find their website to give him other locations, couldn't find a website, and told him. His reply was (verbatim) "What year is this again?!?!?" Trust me, there are lots of other people here frustrated over this kind of thing, not just me.

Tons of businesses in the area have websites. Some don't. It's not like OKC doesn't have internet. It's just a personal business decision, albeit a bad one. There's no point in insulting the whole area for their business decision. Lame.

Easy180
01-08-2011, 11:54 AM
A local liquor store without a website...The horror

MustangGT
01-09-2011, 09:46 AM
My thoughts exactly Easy180. I bet there are other business TheTravellers purchases from that do not have websites.

SOONER8693
01-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave OKC. Good riddance.

Larry OKC
01-09-2011, 11:00 PM
The Western Sizzlin/Mackie McNears (or whatever they called it) just east of MacArthur on NW 23rd is closed, signage down etc. Has a closed banner up telling people to visit the Meridian location (is the one on sw 74/Penn still open?) Didn't get to the southside this weekend.

OSUPokeFan
01-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Galleria Furniture at 3700 W. I-40 Service Road – Turns out they’re not really going out of business, just closing their doors.

I think it is Amini's Galleria on NW Expressway, not Galleria Furniture. They are temporarily closing to restock or remodel or something.

OSUPokeFan
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Noticed this closure last night. There is a sign on the door that says "Temporarily Closed. Will Reopen Soon." The sign is still up, but changed- the Cellar is gone, and now it's a guy's name- Sean's maybe?

stephanieamous
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Interurban downtown on Robinson is closed. Nothing left in the place at all.

TheTravellers
01-11-2011, 12:09 PM
Interurban downtown on Robinson is closed. Nothing left in the place at all.

I think a Cool Greens will be there, check other threads on it.

TheTravellers
01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Noticed this closure last night. There is a sign on the door that says "Temporarily Closed. Will Reopen Soon." The sign is still up, but changed- the Cellar is gone, and now it's a guy's name- Sean's maybe?

I got the info about the lease when I called the Britton/May Cellar, they said that location is closed permanently, don't believe the sign.

blangtang
01-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Hemi's on 23rd ST is closed and boarded up.

Easy180
01-11-2011, 01:33 PM
Know this is slightly off topic but is Neptune's on Classen still alive? Wife may be taking a spot near there and she used to love that place

CuatrodeMayo
01-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Hemi's on 23rd ST is closed and boarded up.

You aren't talking about the building next to O'reilly's are you?

Bigrayok
01-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Hemi's on 23rd has been closed for a few years. They opened in another location on Classen for awhile but that location is closed also. I have wondered why they moved then closed. Nothing new has gone into the location since.

Bigray in Ok

Bigrayok
01-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Neptune's is still there. It is the only Neptune's still open in OKC. I remember when Neptune's had multiple locations. It is my favorite sandwich shop. I like their bread better than Subway, Quizno's, City Bites, etc.

Bigray in Ok

okclee
01-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Uptown needs a good pizza place. Somewhere along 23rd and Walker across from Big Truck Tacos, would be good.

I would like to see a good New York style pizza by the slice or the whole.

dankrutka
01-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I know it's not OKC, but Norman Iron Starr closed. It's really too bad because it was a great building that went well with In the Raw...

OSUPokeFan
01-12-2011, 09:40 AM
I got the info about the lease when I called the Britton/May Cellar, they said that location is closed permanently, don't believe the sign.

I believe that the Cellar is gone, but it appears that a different liquor store is reopening in the same spot. The neon sign has been changed from the Cellar to something else.

OSUPokeFan
01-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Market C is closing. This Friday is their last day, and everything is 50% off. They just made the announcement on their Facebook page. Says the space will be taken over by Cheever's Catering.

Stew
01-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I noticed this weekend Falcones in MWC closed shop.

TheTravellers
01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
I believe that the Cellar is gone, but it appears that a different liquor store is reopening in the same spot. The neon sign has been changed from the Cellar to something else.

I saw the sign was different, but thought it might be left over from the tenants that were there before the Cellar. Be nice if a Cellar-like store opened back up there. I work around there, so I'll keep watching it.

TheTravellers
01-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I noticed this weekend Falcones in MWC closed shop.

With multiple locations closing, does anybody know if this is a bit-by-bit death of Falcone's or if they're going to be able to stay around, just with less locations (only 2 now that I know of - Bricktown and N May)? I hope they don't go away (at least the N May location).

Spartan
01-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Market C is closing. This Friday is their last day, and everything is 50% off. They just made the announcement on their Facebook page. Says the space will be taken over by Cheever's Catering.

Mmmm..a sale.

That's too bad about Market C closing however..

dankrutka
01-12-2011, 05:01 PM
With multiple locations closing, does anybody know if this is a bit-by-bit death of Falcone's or if they're going to be able to stay around, just with less locations (only 2 now that I know of - Bricktown and N May)? I hope they don't go away (at least the N May location).

Can they close the Bricktown Falcone's and put something else there? It's in prime location and they keep it up like crap. Pizza isn't very good either...

SoonerDave
01-13-2011, 10:26 AM
Can they close the Bricktown Falcone's and put something else there? It's in prime location and they keep it up like crap. Pizza isn't very good either...

This.

My son and I visited the Bricktown location three times, each time trying to convince ourselves the previous visit was just a fluke, that it couldn't have been as bad as what we experienced...but we were wrong. After the third time, I felt like a sucker, because it was precisely the same, all three times, so we just gave up. When my son refuses to eat a pizza because of the puddles of grease floating on the top, something's seriously out of whack. Won't miss it.

County Line had gone down the tubes years ago, primarily when they became the "County Line" over the "Oklahoma Line." It used to be the destination place for BBQ when I was growing up, but when they hooked up with the "County Line" moniker it went in the toilet - cold food, bad service, the whole schmear. Even went back with a group from my office for a dinner trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, and it still was just bad. Too many other cheaper, better BBQ options a LOT closer to home these days. Sad.

TheTravellers
01-13-2011, 10:30 AM

:yeahthat: Don't know why the Bricktown location's pizza is worse than the N. May location, but yeah, that's not a great Falcone's in any aspect...

jbrown84
01-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Bicycle Alley at 1015 N. Broadway. Closed in November (?) by owner Terry Enos after being overwhelmed by Schlegel Bicycles across the street (+/-) at 900 N. Broadway. Space for lease in building owned by Steve Mason (who shouldn’t have any trouble filling it).

Sorry Mr. Enos, but the better man won. Schlegal's looked like an REI inside. Bicycle Alley was a concrete floor, bare white walls, and a few bikes here and there...

and although it hasn't officially been announced, Abercrombie & Fitch and abercrombie kids in Quail will both be leaving the second week of January

I don't know anyone that wears A&F (including current high schoolers). I haven't for probably 7-8 years. I really don't know who's shopping there. Whereas I still know lots and lots of people that wear American Eagle.

:LolLolLol

ljbab728
01-14-2011, 12:26 AM
This.

My son and I visited the Bricktown location three times, each time trying to convince ourselves the previous visit was just a fluke, that it couldn't have been as bad as what we experienced...but we were wrong. After the third time, I felt like a sucker, because it was precisely the same, all three times, so we just gave up. When my son refuses to eat a pizza because of the puddles of grease floating on the top, something's seriously out of whack. Won't miss it.

County Line had gone down the tubes years ago, primarily when they became the "County Line" over the "Oklahoma Line." It used to be the destination place for BBQ when I was growing up, but when they hooked up with the "County Line" moniker it went in the toilet - cold food, bad service, the whole schmear. Even went back with a group from my office for a dinner trying to give it the benefit of the doubt, and it still was just bad. Too many other cheaper, better BBQ options a LOT closer to home these days. Sad.

I agree that the food at County Line was better before the takeover but it was still as awesome setting and location for the restaurant.

Larry OKC
01-14-2011, 12:31 AM
When was it the "Oklahoma Line"? Must have been before my time, I have always known it as the "County Line".

jbrown84
01-14-2011, 02:02 AM
but it was still as awesome setting and location for the restaurant.

Yeah love the history there. Too bad it was so off the beaten path. County Line, Haunted House, Sleepy Hollow. All great, unique, historic restaurants in that area but hurt by the reputation of the NE side (deserved or not) and just being so far from anything commercial really. But these are the kind of places with character that you want to be able to show to outsiders.