View Full Version : Okc Philharmonic

workman45
03-13-2005, 12:04 AM
I was looking foreward to the concert last saturday (3-5). As I had not seen the orchestra before, there was the tension of guessing if they were really as good as their reviews and wishing for an above average performance due to the guest conductor, Sergiu Comissiona.

I sat in my seat with anticipation and to our dismay the first announcement of the night is that Maestro Comissiona has died in his motel room that morning, so our Maestro Joel Levine will conduct.

Maestro Levine begins by telling us something of the life of Sergiu and what he ment to him as his teacher, mentor and friend, even relating a couple of amusing stories.

As you listen to Maestro Levine you begin to understand that here is a man who 'just this morning' lost a good friend, not to mention the orchestra who lost a teacher. Yet, there they were ready to continue the preformance in tribute to Maestro Comissiona.

Aparently the rest of the audience was as affected as I, for the Maestro and orchestra were well praised that night.

My heartfelt thanks to the Okc Philharmonic for their dedication to the music, and I'd like to add their performance was well worth attending.

floater
03-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks, workman for the report! Good to see that our band is doing so well.

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Band? Typically, a "band" does not have strings ;)

I know several of the strings players and a couple of the brass players in the OKC Phil. Truly, they are a world class group of players. If you're a student, you can just show up at one of their concerts and buy a "last minute" student ticket for $5.00. I think you have to wait until around 5-15 minutes before the show starts to do this.

I haven't been in awhile, and it's accross the street from my apartment complex. No excuse ;)

mranderson
03-13-2005, 09:27 AM
"Band? Typically, a "band" does not have strings"

Hum. Then what do you call a group of musicians that comprise of a lead, rythum, and bass guitar, a banjo, mandalin, steel guitar, and drums? When I was a professional musician, we called that... A BAND! Guess what. All but ONE of those instruments had strings.

Yes. There is a difference between a band and an orchestra, and the Philharomic is the latter. The difference is size. NOT the type of instrument. However, most BANDS HAVE STRINGS!

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 10:24 AM
"Band? Typically, a "band" does not have strings"

Hum. Then what do you call a group of musicians that comprise of a lead, rythum, and bass guitar, a banjo, mandalin, steel guitar, and drums? When I was a professional musician, we called that... A BAND! Guess what. All but ONE of those instruments had strings.

Yes. There is a difference between a band and an orchestra, and the Philharomic is the latter. The difference is size. NOT the type of instrument. However, most BANDS HAVE STRINGS!

anderson, you are lecturing someone who has been dating a band director for 5 years now. I had a scholarship for 5 years at UCO playing the violin in the UCO Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orcestra, and other groups.

Yes, I also played in a "band" as a fiddle player. But there's one thing for certain. The OKC Phil is no band. I think you agree on that point.

I get to claim expert status here.

mranderson
03-13-2005, 10:33 AM
anderson, you are lecturing someone who has been dating a band director for 5 years now. I had a scholarship for 5 years at UCO playing the violin in the UCO Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Orcestra, and other groups.

Yes, I also played in a "band" as a fiddle player. But there's one thing for certain. The OKC Phil is no band. I think you agree on that point.

I get to claim expert status here.

Have you ever been a professional musician? I doubt it. You, sir, are NO expert. I could care less about who you claim to date. I also suggest rading my posts and not ignoring them. I made my point clear.

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Have you ever been a professional musician? I doubt it. You, sir, are NO expert. I could care less about who you claim to date. I also suggest rading my posts and not ignoring them. I made my point clear.

If by professional, do you mean getting paid to play? In that case, the answer is yes.

mranderson
03-13-2005, 10:53 AM
If by professional, do you mean getting paid to play? In that case, the answer is yes.

This discussion is getting out of control. We need to bring it back to the topic. It is the Oklahoma City Philharomic, not my past career as a professional musician.

Now...

:backtotop

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 10:57 AM
This discussion is getting out of control. We need to bring it back to the topic. It is the Oklahoma City Philharomic, not my past career as a professional musician.

Now...

:backtotop

I agree. The OKC Phil is a great orchestra with grat people in it. A world class group of musicians.

I might head out there for the John Williams show they're doing on April 1st. Of course, I'm more of a fan of the classics.

I will definitely be attending this one though:

May 14, 2005 at 8:00 pm
Jean-Yves Thibaudet, piano
Joel Levine, conductor
Copland: An Outdoor Overture
Debussy: La Mer
Khachaturian: Piano Concerto

I'm not a huge fan of Debussy or impressionistic type music, but I'll sit through it for the other two pieces.

Also, there's theis one:

April 9, 2004 at 8:00 pm
Pinchas Zukerman, violin
Joel Levine, conductor
Bartók: Concerto for Orchestra
Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major

I know on the website it says "2004", but it is sandwiched between two 2005 dates on the list. I'm sure that's just a typo. Pinchas is an incredible performer. I've seen him a few other times. The Beethoven Violin Concerto's 1st movement was my final jury piece. I think he'll play it a lot better than I did though :D

Karried
03-13-2005, 06:03 PM
Midtowner, my 11 year old is playing violin this year for the first time and I hope he continues throughout Middle School, High School and College - he seems to really like it and embrace the challenge of learning new music. He practices on his own and seems to catch on really quickly.

What kept you inspired? What kept you motivated?

I'm not an expert by any means, don't claim to know a thing about any of this string quota in a band but I do want to know, what kept it exciting for you and how can I keep my son's interest peaked? I know it will be his thing but I want to encourage him and support him.

Mr. Anderson, what instrument do you play? I think all musicians are so cool!

mranderson
03-13-2005, 06:08 PM
"Mr. Anderson, what instrument do you play? I think all musicians are so cool!"

I play guitar. In fact, I played professionally from 1978 to 1993 until arthritis sent my career packing.

I did recording sessions with performers including Roy Clark, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, and Johnny Cash. I also performed as substitute rytham guitar player in some concerts throughout the United States.

Midtowner
03-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Midtowner, my 11 year old is playing violin this year for the first time and I hope he continues throughout Middle School, High School and College - he seems to really like it and embrace the challenge of learning new music. He practices on his own and seems to catch on really quickly.

What kept you inspired? What kept you motivated?

I'm not an expert by any means, don't claim to know a thing about any of this string quota in a band but I do want to know, what kept it exciting for you and how can I keep my son's interest peaked? I know it will be his thing but I want to encourage him and support him.

Mr. Anderson, what instrument do you play? I think all musicians are so cool!

What always kept me going was just getting to play new and interesting stuff. My advice would be to keep the kid with a good teacher. What part of town do you live in? I could recommend a good one for you.

Definitely keep your child interested though. It'll be his ticket to higher-ed one day. It paid for most of my school, and I wasn't even a music major. Also, you might want to look into a youth orchestra like the YAO (associated with OYS) or the young musicians group that's associated with the OYO through the Harrisson Acadamy (I was a member of YAO, so I don't know much about the later).

It's always very good to have your kids interested in music. The other kids are generally a good group to have as friends, and their parents are generally good people as well.

floater
03-14-2005, 09:38 AM
Band? Typically, a "band" does not have strings ;)

I know several of the strings players and a couple of the brass players in the OKC Phil. Truly, they are a world class group of players. If you're a student, you can just show up at one of their concerts and buy a "last minute" student ticket for $5.00. I think you have to wait until around 5-15 minutes before the show starts to do this.

I haven't been in awhile, and it's accross the street from my apartment complex. No excuse ;)

My only connections are a trumpet player and a flute player, but I don't know if they're still with the philharmonic. I took band (yes, indeed no strings;)) in middle high and high school, but still have not yet attended a philharmonic concert. I know, for shame. But I thought it was cool when I heard that Yo-Yo Ma guested in concert a few months back!

Were you in a high school marching band, Midtowner?

Midtowner
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
My only connections are a trumpet player and a flute player, but I don't know if they're still with the philharmonic. I took band (yes, indeed no strings;)) in middle high and high school, but still have not yet attended a philharmonic concert. I know, for shame. But I thought it was cool when I heard that Yo-Yo Ma guested in concert a few months back!

Were you in a high school marching band, Midtowner?

Well, I was in band in HS, I played percussion (McGuinness had no strings program). We marched I think a total of one time. We were too small to mount a decent marching program. I did do jazz band where I played keyboard and drums, as well as concert band where I either did keyboard, percussion, drums, or doubled the flute part on my violin. There was a quartet program at my HS, but it terminated after my freshman year. The archdiocese made pretty good use of us playing at different functions though.

I do help out with my girlfriend's band program from time to time. She teaches at a mid-high in the Mid Del school system.

Just for the record, I showed her this message and she almost created an account just to tell everyone that there is no possible way you could correctly refer to a symphony orchestra as a "band" :D

floater
03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't usually use the term either, but a local orchestra was once dubbed "the best band in the land" (I don't know by who). Anything for a rhyme, I guess.

I was wondering if you were part of a rival marching band. Westmoore, upon its opening in 1988, became one of the best marching bands in the state. Our rivals were schools like Broken Arrow, Moore, Tulsa Union, Midwest City, Enid, and one of the Edmond high schools.

Doug Loudenback
03-20-2005, 10:18 AM

Yes, I also played in a "band" as a fiddle player. ... I get to claim expert status here.

Now, now, MrAnderson & Midtowner, please stay calm. :) I see that Midtowner used the words violin and fiddle almost in the same breath, but, even though the instruments are the same, the usual context for those words is different, isn't it? I doubt that an orchestra member would use the words "fiddle players" for those in the violin section, nor that those who were in He Haw would use the word "violin." ;)

Doug

Midtowner
03-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Now, now, Midtowner, please stay calm. :) I see that you used the words violin and fiddle almost in the same breath, but, even though the instruments are the same, the usual context for those words is different, isn't it? I doubt that an orchestra member would use the words "fiddle players" for those in the violin section, nor that those in He Haw would use the word "violin." ;)

Doug

Actually, my private instructor a few years back had his doctorate from TCU, but studied in Vienna for a large part of his education. He used the two interchangably as do many. There at one time were some physical differences between violins and fiddles, also, there was a lot of technique difference. For example, a fiddle had a slightly flattened bridge. That allowed double and even triple stops (when the player plays on multiple strings) to come easier. Also, they bow is not typically rosined by "true" fiddle players -- makes for a stickier, grittier playing experience.

Fiddle players also used a completely different technique which would be considered a "lack of" technique by most classically trained players.

I did play the "fiddle" in a "jam band", much in the way that Boyd Tinsley plays for the Dave Matthews Band -- we even did a cover or two of theirs.

Really, these days, the words violin and fiddle are interchangeable -- at least in the circles I run in. I do think fiddle sounds a little more familiar/less formal, however.

Midtowner
04-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Just got back from the Phil concert. Was great!

Got me inspired to play more, just ordered a replacement set of strings for my nicer violin (the old strings were woeful).