View Full Version : Moving dirt at I-240 and Penn

roci28
12-30-2010, 09:04 AM
I was driving across 240 yesterday and saw some dirt moving in front of Pioneer Pies. Anyone know whats coming? Sorry if this has been posted already!

Larry OKC
12-31-2010, 03:24 AM
Am always amazed when I notice that Pioneer Pies is still open. Nothing against them at all, but rarely do I see more than a handful of cars and the don't any any sort of advertising at all. Is the one set back off NW Expressway still there?

warreng88
12-31-2010, 06:45 AM
Am always amazed when I notice that Pioneer Pies is still open. Nothing against them at all, but rarely do I see more than a handful of cars and the don't any any sort of advertising at all. Is the one set back off NW Expressway still there?

No, it closed down a couple of years ago.

larrys66diner
12-31-2010, 08:41 AM
That's one thing I miss about living in Oklahoma City: there's always something going on. There's always improvements being made and innovations happening. I now live in a small town where nothing ever happens and the streets "roll up at 5:00". Hahaha Although, it's nice and quiet here, I somewhat miss being able to go out for breakfast at 2:00am, if I take the notion.

megax11
12-31-2010, 09:12 AM
Don't get your hopes up about this one. I asked a construction worker what they were building yesterday, and he said, "a building," jokingly, before telling me it's going to be Wright business school.

Pioneer Pies was hoping that it was a restaurant, because they said when Harrigans was there, people would get pie over at Pioneer Pies afterward. Now they're just as disappointed as I am.

Stupid plazas with bingo halls and business schools.

I asked the construction worker if they were moving out of the current building they're in, which is next to Outback, he said he wasn't sure.

All I can say, is I hope that is the case, and they move from there, so maybe they can fix up that plaza and bring some more retail to southside.

okclee
12-31-2010, 09:26 AM
240 needs more buildings with height, 5 or 6 story office buildings would be nice.

larrys66diner
12-31-2010, 09:41 AM
No, it closed down a couple of years ago.

Oh my! I never did eat there, but I had applied for a job there once. It was convenient to where I was living at the time (NW 50th and MacArthur in Warr Acres). If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't far from the Shoney's that used to be up there on NW Expressway between Meridian and MacArthur; that building became home to a bank even before I left Oklahoma, if I'm not mistaken.

Architect2010
12-31-2010, 01:50 PM
All I can say, is I hope that is the case, and they move from there, so maybe they can fix up that plaza and bring some more retail to southside.

Oh you mean the plaza that attracted a BigLots, a Conn's, a Hobby Lobby, and numerous other retail establishments in the past two years and is almost at full capacity? Which is a HUGE improvement over 5 years ago when that shopping center was completely empty except Uptown Thrift, Game Exchange, and a few others.

Kudos to the thought of having some midrises along 240. I agree.

Thundercitizen
12-31-2010, 01:55 PM
No...Pioneer Pies is not closed, it should be rebuilt, though.

Soonerman
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Is FYE still there?

Spartan
12-31-2010, 04:05 PM
Stupid plazas with bingo halls and business schools.

I asked the construction worker if they were moving out of the current building they're in, which is next to Outback, he said he wasn't sure.

The southside does not make a respectable return to vitality without some major outside the box thinking, and major investment in the historic core of the southside. So it will involve looking beyond the current offerings of empty Crossroads, bingo halls, abandoned strip malls, new strip malls, Wright business school, DeVry business school, and so on. I'd say forget about all of that if you want to really help the southside.

rcjunkie
12-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Is FYE still there?

There never was a FYE at I-240 & Penn

menos
12-31-2010, 04:51 PM
There never was a FYE at I-240 & Penn

Um... yeah there is... And last time I drove by it was still there.

Larry OKC
01-01-2011, 12:25 AM
Is FYE the store on the end of the strip (next to Conns I think) used to be a blockbuster or something like that?

As far as closed Pioneer Pies, think he was talking about the one on NW Expressway closing a couple of years ago, but know the one on I-40 was open at least as recently as a couple of months ago.

Soonerman
01-01-2011, 10:07 PM
FYE is right next door to Conn's yes.

theparkman81
01-01-2011, 10:38 PM
240 needs more buildings with height, 5 or 6 story office buildings would be nice.

I agree, I think it would be cool to see 5 or 6 story or larger office buildings on 240.

Jesseda
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
why doesnt south metro have tall buildings like the north siders do, i wish something tall would be built on 240 or something tall in moore area.. it would be nice to have a complex of tall buildings around 240 area, it makes it feel like you area actually ina big city instead of a flat town that goes on and on

ljbab728
01-04-2011, 10:20 PM
why doesnt south metro have tall buildings like the north siders do, i wish something tall would be built on 240 or something tall in moore area.. it would be nice to have a complex of tall buildings around 240 area, it makes it feel like you area actually ina big city instead of a flat town that goes on and on
Jesseda, it's been years since any significant new high rise buildings have been built on the north side of OKC. Most were built when downtown was being abandoned for the suburbs and developers considered the north side to be better for their demographics. It might be nice to have some larger office buildings on the south side but don't expect it any time soon until developers find it to be financially beneficial. The only thing close to that has been happening in Norman with the new Embassy Suites Hotel and the Norman hospital annex.

Jesseda
01-05-2011, 07:31 AM
Just dreaming, it would be nice to see some tall buildings in moore or south okc, maybe a 6 story hilton or somethings taller, maybe once we get something worth it on the south side to have a need for tall buildings it will happen

Architect2010
01-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, Intergris could always expand. XP

Jon27
03-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone know what is going in here? The dirt work is still moving along.

rcjunkie
03-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Anyone know what is going in here? The dirt work is still moving along.

New, stand alone building for Wright Business College.

bombermwc
03-18-2011, 07:09 AM
Boo

SkyWestOKC
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Are you sure? There are no signs up and I have not seen any announcements.

rcjunkie
03-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Are you sure? There are no signs up and I have not seen any announcements.

Positive, it was in the Daily Oklahoman (business section) a fews ago.

flintysooner
03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Walnut Square Shopping Center buys land for business college
Wright Career College signs lease, to build stand-alone building at Walnut Square.
Published: February 5, 2011

Read more: http://newsok.com/walnut-square-shopping-center-buys-land-for-business-college/article/3538320#ixzz1H04RRCdk

SkyWestOKC
03-18-2011, 09:37 PM
Ah cool, didn't see that. Thanks!