View Full Version : Engaged! Did not go to Jared!

HewenttoJared
12-29-2010, 08:45 PM
I guess I have to make a new screen name now. :)

old okie
12-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Happy news [supposedly it's 'bad manners' to say "Congratulations" on an engagement, but I've never understood why]! But that screen name is just too cool to give up!!

PennyQuilts
12-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Congratulations on your pending nuptuals! I wish you both a long lifetime of happiness, together. Have you set a date?

Old Okie, I always understood that you said congratulations to the groom and best wishes to the bride. That one always made me sort of think.

kevinpate
12-29-2010, 10:06 PM
My favorite engagement announcement story.
The couple's families are told and all are happy for the couple.
Groom to be's older brother is downright smug, having figured out some time back, well before anyone as it turned out, this was a likely outcome.
One of the bride to be's kin is the couple's pastor.
Come Sunday, he asks the young couple to stand and announces to all present the couple is to be wed.
Somewhere off to their right side and a few rows up from the couple, one of the dear sweet blue haired saints of the church, in a none too subtle stage whisper,
lets loose with "That's a shock!"
Laughter ensures, as much for the pastor being momentarily speechless as anything (wasn't something that happened real often.)

I forget which of the blue hairs from the church it was, but she cemented a life time of love and respect for all of them.

MadMonk
12-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Congrats HDGTJ (HedidntgotoJared)! Best of luck on a happy future together. :tiphat:

Midtowner
12-30-2010, 07:53 AM
Have a cheap wedding and an expensive honeymoon.

Roadhawg
12-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Congrats !!!

HewenttoJared
12-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Happy news [supposedly it's 'bad manners' to say "Congratulations" on an engagement, but I've never understood why]! But that screen name is just too cool to give up!!

Well then I know a lot of rude people. :)

HewenttoJared
12-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Have a cheap wedding and an expensive honeymoon.

We plan to!

HewenttoJared
12-30-2010, 08:50 AM
Congratulations on your pending nuptuals! I wish you both a long lifetime of happiness, together. Have you set a date?

Old Okie, I always understood that you said congratulations to the groom and best wishes to the bride. That one always made me sort of think.
Late Summer. I have work engagements interfering until then, unfortunately.

Midtowner
12-30-2010, 09:15 AM
We plan to!

Also, if your family/culture/faith observes dowry contracts, PM me and I can tell you some war stories. Be careful what you sign.

bradzilla
12-30-2010, 01:21 PM
We plan to!

No seriously, get it under control early on. I love my wife but hated going through the process of getting it all setup.

Set bondaries, price limits, and have a defined list of what you want/dont want before you go see vendors or even your parents. Its very easy to have a wedding run away from the real meaning when parents and saleswomen (vendors) get involved. Realize that the vendors dont give a damn about you and most of your guest arent going to even notice or remember that you had every little detail with your initials on it or customized.

Weddings arent about you, trust me the whole ordeal is going to go by so fast that in most cases you wont even have a chance to sit down and think before the whole thing is over. Have a small and simple wedding and spend a few weeks in the Caribbean or Europe.

skyrick
12-30-2010, 01:40 PM
COngratulations, HWTJ!

bombermwc
01-05-2011, 07:14 AM
Those calendars that say when you're supposed to have what done by, are life savers if you are planning anything other than a small event. It helped keep us on track so we weren't overwhelmed later. You can have a big wedding without it being crazy expensive and insane. Toss the crap like "favors"....why should you spend hours and money giving people almonds they're going to eat in 5 minutes and throw away? Use the flowers from the church as the center pieces on the tables. All sorts of money savers for sure. We heard people were taking out loans or spending 25K on weddings.....no freaking way. We still had about 200 people at ours (whole traditional church/reception at a hall thing), and we didn't take out any loans and spent less than 10K for every single item. Most of it went to the reception hall at the Marriot on NW Xway....which is dumb. St. Lukes only costs about $200 (deposit and organist) to have an amazing wedding, then you spend a crap load to rent out a room somewhere...

HewenttoJared
01-06-2011, 05:36 AM
It won't be in a church. My faith doesn't really have churches and she has no belief system. I'm hoping to do it all for less than 5k and spend the rest on honeymoon in Hawaii.

bombermwc
01-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Well if you want a chapel-y place, there are a million options....and you can have whatever type of wedding you want. Most of them are pretty danged similar to the next.

Other options are places like Castle Falls, I would normally say the Myriad Gardens, Will Rogers Park, Earlywine Park, etc. There are a lot of outdoor options with buildings nearby for receptions. Heck, backyards and living rooms work. There are a million different places in town at any scale from the Petroleum Club and the Chesapeak Boathouse, to the downtown Farmer's Market (which is actually very nice upstairs for wedddings...they put curtains in and junk), Hall of Mirrors at the Civic Center, any number of hotels, The Montgomery downtown has a nice room (lots of columns though). etc. etc. etc.

kevinpate
01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
For what it's worth, since a faith based hall isn't on your planning sheet, I believe it is still possible to use the state capitol, including the Blue room.
There's a nice wedding hall out ese of Norman, Thunderbird Chapel. http://www.thunderbirdchapel.com/

For photos, you might check in with Lee Davenport of Norman at http://www.davenportphotos.com

Thunder
01-08-2011, 04:46 AM
Okay, I thought his username was his first and last name. I did not see it read, "He went to Jared," and now this topic saying, "Did not go to Jared." What is this? What is Jared?

I went to a wedding for my friends at the Myriad Gardens and it is nice. Nothing fancy, but it was nice and cute.

bluedogok
01-08-2011, 07:24 AM
My sister was married at Boulevard Chapel in Edmond (1998), it is a wedding chapel and can have pretty much any faith/non-faith based wedding that you want. She thought they were pretty good to work with. As bombermwc posted Castle Falls (just south of NW 10th on MacArthur) has a hall which is used for weddings and other events.

Congrats.

HewenttoJared
01-10-2011, 02:32 PM
We toured Sam Noble as a location today. It's by far my favorite so far.

Stan Silliman
01-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Congrats. I would offer Casa de Silliman (not quite Sam Noble, but close) but I'd have to clear it with the hostess.

Keep the poster name, just add "for advice on a Subway sandwich."

mugofbeer
01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
I missed this. Despite tremendous disagreements with you I am still very happy for you and wish you and your future bride good luck. Everyone deserves happiness