View Full Version : Anyone spot the full page ad in todays Daily Oklahoman

Easy180
12-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Let the bible speak?

Some classy banjo driven Muslim hatin brought to you by the world renowned Church of Christ in Elk City

Might be a place Prune and Matt might want to check out

Matt
12-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Might be a place Prune and Matt might want to check out

"MattB", I think you mean. Don't want anyone confusing me for that knucklehead. I'm a totally different knucklehead.

Easy180
12-30-2010, 04:46 AM
"MattB", I think you mean. Don't want anyone confusing me for that knucklehead. I'm a totally different knucklehead.

Yes sir sorry about that

onthestrip
12-30-2010, 07:54 AM
They have done several of these ads the last couple years. They usually are in the other sections, Im not sure I recall one in the front page section. They are always about some conservative issue, gays, muslims, atheism,etc. Maybe their next ad will be about the evils of musical instruments and dancing.

Roadhawg
12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
I saw that and just shook my head... no wonder people think Oklahoma is a backwards place.

rcjunkie
12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Agree or not, it's great to have "Freedom of Speech".

MadMonk
12-30-2010, 09:11 AM
I saw that and just shook my head... no wonder people think Oklahoma is a backwards place.
Yeah, it would be much cooler to have a crucifix in a jar of urine on display. That's the good kind of free speech that progressives can get behind. Amiright?

Roadhawg
12-30-2010, 09:18 AM
I agree with the freedom of speech.... no matter how ignorant and backwards it is

Roadhawg
12-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, it would be much cooler to have a crucifix in a jar of urine on display. That's the good kind of free speech that progressives can get behind. Amiright?

Nope... you're not

Joe Daddy
12-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Agree or not, it's great to have "Freedom of Speech".

Exactly.

Should either be banned? We should all get behind free speech, no matter whose speech it is.

Edmond_Outsider
01-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Golly that would be horrible. Who did that, MM and when? Did it smell bad after a few days?

TeriOKC
01-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a feeling that the Church of Christ in Elk City you're referring to is to the other Churches of Christ what those idiots from Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka is to all of the other Baptists...a total embarrassment.

metro
01-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Get over the hypocrisy, the Muslims have been running full page ads in the Daily Disappointment too. Check Tuesdays paper out for a recent example. Where is the outrage?

Easy180
01-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Get over the hypocrisy, the Muslims have been running full page ads in the Daily Disappointment too. Check Tuesdays paper out for a recent example. Where is the outrage?

Do they blast Christianity?

metro
01-07-2011, 07:14 PM
No, but based on their wording they posture Christian wording for their own cause. I guess you can use a human moral scale for which is more wrong to you. I think both are deceptive practices.

Easy180
01-07-2011, 07:19 PM
I think the ad I saw had something to do with raising money for a charity...Freakin Muslims

Edmond_Outsider
01-08-2011, 07:57 AM
No, but based on their wording they posture Christian wording for their own cause. I guess you can use a human moral scale for which is more wrong to you. I think both are deceptive practices.

What does "posture Christian wording" mean? I have a clue what you mean but I'd like to hear what you think you are saying rather than guess.

Jersey Boss
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Exactly.

Should either be banned? We should all get behind free speech, no matter whose speech it is.

"Freedom of speech" as long as it is accepted by an entity that charges you to express it. Actually this would be under "freedom of the press".

Bunty
01-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, how much does it cost to run a full page ad in the Oklahoman?

metro
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
About $23,000 but on Tuesdays, which is when I saw the ad, it runs around $5,000/day, but it also depends if you run zones or statewide.

Joe Daddy
01-12-2011, 03:06 PM
About $23,000 but on Tuesdays, which is when I saw the ad, it runs around $5,000/day, but it also depends if you run zones or statewide.

Wow....Thats somewhere between $5,000 and $23,000 of charitable funds that could have been spent helping the needy, the homeless or a child with health problems without health insurance right here in Oklahoma........

Caboose
01-13-2011, 07:22 PM
Wow....Thats somewhere between $5,000 and $23,000 of charitable funds that could have been spent helping the needy, the homeless or a child with health problems without health insurance right here in Oklahoma........

There are billions of dollars spent in Oklahoma every year on all kinds of things that could have been spent on something better. Why does this one in particular wow you? For example, I am sure all the enlightened folks in Oklahoma City that were bothered by this ad will cumulatively spend well over $23,000 on coffee tomorrow morning alone.... effectively telling the world that their $5 cup o' sh!t from Starbucks was more important than some child's life-saving surgery.

Joe Daddy
01-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Why does this one in particular wow you?

Ummmmmm...Because the money was spent by a church?

Caboose
01-14-2011, 06:17 PM
Ummmmmm...Because the money was spent by a church?

So? Churches spent money on stupid sh!t all the time.

Double Edge
01-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Golly that would be horrible. Who did that, MM and when? Did it smell bad after a few days?

Andres Serrano. The object itself was never on public display, a photograph of it was.

The piece caused a scandal when it was exhibited in 1989, with detractors, including United States Senators Al D'Amato and Jesse Helms, outraged that Serrano received $15,000 for the work, part of it from the taxpayer-funded National Endowment for the Arts. Serrano received death threats and hate mail, and lost grants due to the controversy.[8] Others alleged that the government funding of Piss Christ violated separation of church and state.[9][10] The work was vandalized at the National Gallery of Victoria, Australia, and gallery officials reported receiving death threats in response to Piss Christ.[11] Supporters argued that the controversy over Piss Christ is an issue of artistic freedom and freedom of speech.[11]
Wikipedia

Here is one take on an interpretation of it different than the opinions of the detractors above. Of course there are many other opinions about its meaning and its impact on various parts of our culture. http://cruciality.wordpress.com/2009/06/25/rethinking-serranos-piss-christ/

Easy180
10-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Today's lovely topics are Sodomy, witchcraft and cross dressing...Bet his Sunday morning sermons are just all kinds of fun

MadMonk
10-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Today's lovely topics are Sodomy, witchcraft and cross dressing...Bet his Sunday morning sermons are just all kinds of fun
Keep giving them free publicity, that'll show 'em.