View Full Version : Non-smoking??? Not really....

bucktalk
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
So I may not understand the resturant 'non-smoking' or 'ventilated' smoking rules - let me make that clear. But a friend and I went to Henry Hudson's on Memorial the other night. I was shocked that the entire place was filled with smokers. Could only stay in there 4 minutes then had to leave.

Maybe smoking is allowed after all? Confused here just a bit...

SSEiYah
12-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Henry Hudsons is more of a "neighborhood bar with food" rather than a restaurant.

See the rules here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_smoking_bans_in_the_United_States#.C2.A0Ok lahoma

Midtowner
12-29-2010, 04:55 PM
The past law would have made Maker's smoke free.

Blasphemy.

There has to be someplace to enjoy the occasional single malt with a cigar at the same time.

And I'd prefer that place not be my living room as it's cheaper to dry clean a suit than it is to dry clean my living room.

Easy180
12-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Smoke fest is the biggest downside to Wild Wings as well

Usually choose non smoking spots for happy hours these days...I hope the smoking bars know they are losing out on my $25...big mistake...big mistake

geterdone
12-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Hope you know that is why they are packed at night. Go hide in your hole.

soonerguru
12-29-2010, 10:40 PM
Love the Blue Note and the Hilo, but the smoke makes going to those places less than enjoyable, and I'm a reformed smoker. Blue Note I think is slightly better with a decent ventilation system, but it still literally gets in your pores when it's busy.

BoulderSooner
12-30-2010, 08:24 AM
it won't be long before all bars in oklahoma are smoke free ..

rcjunkie
12-30-2010, 08:26 AM
it won't be long before all bars in oklahoma are smoke free ..

amen !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
12-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Oklahoma is one of only a handful of states without a strict smoking ban and in fact is the only that has a law that prohibits local governments from regulating smoking more strictly than the state. So, for example, if Norman wanted to ban smoking in bars it couldn't do it.

Also, many countries have very strict bans including Ireland, the UK, Germany, France and Australia. Even in places where bars/pubs are very much a part of the social fabric, smoking is strictly prohibited.

There was movement in the state legislature to try and get the state more in line with most others, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

24.8% (!) of all adults in OK smoke, 5th highest in the entire country. AND, the smoking rate has not dropped in the last 12 years, while it has virutually everywhere else.

Ginkasa
12-30-2010, 12:12 PM

Usually choose non smoking spots for happy hours these days...I hope the smoking bars know they are losing out on my $25...big mistake...big mistake

Kind of off topic, and I don't disagree with your sentiment in any way, but I just think its pretty fun how people think that their individual money really matters to most businesses. Smoking bars probably wouldn't care even if they do know about your $25 unless they were really struggling.

OKCisOK4me
12-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Don't worry, when us smokers smoke more we tend to drink more. We can easily double or triple your $25, lol.

Easy180
12-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Kind of off topic, and I don't disagree with your sentiment in any way, but I just think its pretty fun how people think that their individual money really matters to most businesses. Smoking bars probably wouldn't care even if they do know about your $25 unless they were really struggling.

My joke evidently bombed as I was trying to be sarcastic about my whopping 25 bucks spent on happy hours

I like BWW and go there every now and then...Smoke doesn't bother me too much unless we get lucky enough to be surrounded by chainers

Does also make the Asian Zing wings taste a little different but not enough to sit out in the restaurant

bluedogok
12-30-2010, 06:21 PM
We heard all about the doom and gloom and the end of live music here in Austin when the city's smoking ban was passed by a vote of the people. It really doesn't seem to have changed much overall except more places have outdoor areas for smokers. Sure some places struggled adapting but most of those places would have closed at some point anyway because if you are struggling that much to get by that no smoking would kill your business, then you have other fundamental problems with your business model.

When I go to a place in Williamson or Hays Counties and they have smoking it is a bit of a shock to me anymore, I have become rather used to smoke free Austin.

Ginkasa
12-31-2010, 02:14 AM
My joke evidently bombed as I was trying to be sarcastic about my whopping 25 bucks spent on happy hours

I like BWW and go there every now and then...Smoke doesn't bother me too much unless we get lucky enough to be surrounded by chainers

Does also make the Asian Zing wings taste a little different but not enough to sit out in the restaurant

I'll just view your post as a satirical take then :). I've seen people who honestly believed that their money and their circles of friends will make or break a business. Its ridiculous.

Midtowner
12-31-2010, 06:33 AM
It seems like a safety issue for wait staff. They get to smoke whatever you're smoking. It's a hazard of that job which can be completely removed.

OKCisOK4me
12-31-2010, 08:27 AM
It seems like a safety issue for wait staff. They get to smoke whatever you're smoking. It's a hazard of that job which can be completely removed.

It's not like they have a sign on them that says "Don't smoke around me". They know the dangers involved when it comes to working in that environment as well as the person who's actually smoking the cigarette or cigar.