View Full Version : OSCN microfiche references

securityinfo
12-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Anyone know the actual process of how you can access those records listed on the OSCN as "available on microfiche"? As in exactly where to go, who to see, and what if anything it costs?

TIA.

BBatesokc
12-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Midtowner may know better. But ever time I've needed something like that I was sent to the basement. Usually they pulled and copied then, or I had to fill out a form and come back. But, its been awhile.

Midtowner
12-27-2010, 09:50 PM
I'd go to the basement. I've never had anything turn up only available on microfiche. I primarily practice in family law, issues with kids have a typical maximum expiration date of 18 years or so, taking me out of microfiche territory most likely.

securityinfo
12-27-2010, 10:06 PM
I'd go to the basement. I've never had anything turn up only available on microfiche. I primarily practice in family law, issues with kids have a typical maximum expiration date of 18 years or so, taking me out of microfiche territory most likely.

So, does this include information for current items? Say I'm interested in a case and the OSCN website says "Document available at Court Clerk's office, microfilm reel xx frame xx", and the case is only a few months old. Do I head for the basement of the County Courthouse in that case?

TIA.

Midtowner
12-27-2010, 10:24 PM
So, does this include information for current items? Say I'm interested in a case and the OSCN website says "Document available at Court Clerk's office, microfilm reel xx frame xx", and the case is only a few months old. Do I head for the basement of the County Courthouse in that case?

TIA.

That's kind of odd. I've never once had to look anything up on microfiche and I've pulled some pretty old case files.

Just go down to the Oklahoma County Office building, 4th floor, criminal or civil court clerk, ask 'em where the file is. Shouldn't be a problem from there.

kevinpate
12-28-2010, 02:56 AM
... Just go down to the Oklahoma County Office building, 4th floor, criminal or civil court clerk, ask 'em where the file is. Shouldn't be a problem from there.

This. Especially for a case that's presently active, irrespective of age, or was recently active. Worse case is they send you to the basement to archives. FWIW, I've been to the basement twice in the last twenty years, and both cases were rather aged.

Doug Loudenback
12-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Like the others have said, if it's an Oklahoma County case and is non-criminal, go to the 4th floor, county office building; enter the west section of the clerk's office; proceed as far west as you can go. A sign-up sheet is there for you to write case #, your name, etc.; a clerk will pull the file for you to look at; if you want copies, tell him her what you want copied and pay a small copy charge.

Criminal or protective order cases: go to the east section of the court clerk's office; go to the counter and a similar procedure is followed; I don't recall that there is a single place to ask for files.

For old cases (and the clerks at the 4th floor will tell you if you need to go there), you have to go to a different building immediately east of and flush with the county office building; its name is the Investor's Capital Building; enter the 1st floor; take the elevator to the basement; that's the only way to get there. Then, do as said above.

The above applies to cases which are part of the public record. Others, such as adoptions, are not available to the public at large.