View Full Version : New Years Resolutions

Kerry
12-26-2010, 05:43 PM
It is that time of year again to identify the things you want to do or improve for the new year. Has anyone set their New Year’s resolutions yet? Have you kept past resolutions?

Here are my three for this year
1. Complete my business plan for a new business in OKC
2. Help my wife lose weight
3. Get through Level 1 German on Instant Immersion (Christmas gift)

The last serious attempt I made at a New Year’s resolution was a couple of year ago. I wanted to sit and read at least 30 minutes every day. For the most part I was able to stick to it and in one year got through the entire collection of Sherlock Holmes, and several classic novels courtesy of the Barnes and Nobel Classic collection. I now read with my kids on a regular basis.

Larry OKC
12-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Since many of us don't make it a week before abandoning our resolutions, thought I might take a different approach to it this year and ask others that know me well, "if there was one thing you would like to see me change, what would it be?"

Easy180
12-26-2010, 06:21 PM
Expecting our 2nd child in April so I am just hoping to have the strength to keep up with an infant and a 2 1/2 yr old

MikeOKC
12-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Expecting our 2nd child in April so I am just hoping to have the strength to keep up with an infant and a 2 1/2 yr old

Ahhh, Easy, come on.....that's a breeze....

Wait until there 16 1/2 and 14!.........................................on second thought, don't bother thinking about it for a while.

(Congratulations!!!)

Joe Daddy
12-26-2010, 06:49 PM
My resolution is to not make a New Years resolution.

soonerguru
12-26-2010, 06:50 PM
My resolution is to treat my body with more kindness in the new year.

Matt
12-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I only have one resolution for the new year:

Quit pointing out threads that are posted in the wrong section.

Easy180
12-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Ahhh, Easy, come on.....that's a breeze....

Wait until there 16 1/2 and 14!.........................................on second thought, don't bother thinking about it for a while.

(Congratulations!!!)

One on the way is a girl so I am hoping having a big brother around can help me when she hits her teens!

Not sure if anyone can be prepared for teenagers but I will enjoy having a beer while watching my son mow the lawn

Thunder
12-26-2010, 10:07 PM
These kind of things only last a few weeks. For the very rare few, a few months. Basically pointless. Less than 1% of the population successfully complete their resolutions.

For mine... Focus on my Christmas gift truck to bring it up to modern appearance as a hobby.

Dustin
12-26-2010, 10:13 PM
It's cliche but lose weight.... I lost 20 lb before Christmas rolled around and was about 200lbs after dieting.. My goal is 190 and to gain a lot of muscle!

flintysooner
12-28-2010, 06:34 AM
Quit reading forums.

kevinpate
12-28-2010, 06:51 AM
The only resolution I've ever ever really tried to keep has been to be a better Poppa. So far, so good, most days anyhows.

bandnerd
12-28-2010, 07:55 AM
I have 31 goals for 2011, since I turn 31. I had 30 for 2010. Some were met, some I failed at miserably, and others were well on their way to becoming a real habit. Last year I tried lots of new vegetables (and actually found some I liked), fostered new friendships, finished some courses toward my graduate degree and managed to not gripe about it as much as the year before, and others.

Some of 2011's highlights are: learn to play the clarinet, read more books, race 3 5K's (either alone or in the marathon relay), race a 10K, incorporate strength training into my routine, be a more engaging piano teacher, and enjoy the smaller things in life. Some goals are measurable, others aren't but I can tell a difference when they are a part of my life (especially the enjoying the smaller things...it makes a huge difference).

CuatrodeMayo
12-28-2010, 09:09 AM

Have fun! We just had our 2nd and the first just turned 2. It's crazy, but a joy still.

CuatrodeMayo
12-28-2010, 09:25 AM
This is what I would like to do this year:

http://donmilleris.com/2010/01/01/living-a-good-story-an-alternative-to-new-years-resolutions/

flintysooner
12-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I have 31 goals for 2011, since I turn 31. I had 30 for 2010.You may need to adjust your algorithm as your present method will involve a lot of items when you're my age.

race 3 5K's (either alone or in the marathon relay), race a 10KMy daughter competed for her first 5K this year and is now very enthusiastic about competing in more. Pretty good goal I think.

bandnerd
12-30-2010, 07:16 AM
You may need to adjust your algorithm as your present method will involve a lot of items when you're my age.

Haha I'm sure once I get to 35 I'll cut the number in half or just pick an arbitrary number ;) Some of the goals are so small that I don't really have to think about them. I had to throw a few ringers in there so I wouldn't feel like a total loser if I failed at the others!

Your daughter could look into other kinds of races, as well. I really wanted to do a "mud run" but I think we might actually be on vacation that weekend. It looks like a lot of fun!

MadMonk
12-30-2010, 07:52 AM
My resolution for 2011 will be to pay off all my debt with the exception of my home. Barring any expensive catastrophies, I should be able to get close by October.