View Full Version : Believers!

HewenttoJared
12-26-2010, 10:02 AM
How do you see God, or whatever you believe in, interacting with the physical world?
Does he physically change things?
Does he break the laws of nature?
Did he do it in the part but now doesn't?
Who is your God, and what has he done today?

USG'60
12-26-2010, 11:42 AM
In the mood for a brawl, eh?

HewenttoJared
12-26-2010, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty religious, and so is about half of my family. The rest are either indifferent or evangelical atheists. We have good discussions every holiday, so i figured I'd ask around and see if any other religious people see things even slightly the way i do. Most seem to either believe in god constantly interfering in reality or at least doing it at a minute level.

Joe Daddy
12-26-2010, 03:26 PM
OK, I'll bite.

I'm pretty much Agnostic, some might say Atheist, although I have no clue if there's a god or gods or not. I think there is a "Collective Intelligence" on planet Earth...kinda like the internet, but made up of the web of all human minds. Ever think of someone you have not heard from in months, or years and the phone rings and it's them? Who knows really? I do think there is some form of intelligent energy that life springs from, but I just can't wrap my head around the deity of the Abrahamic religions, nor can I believe their "holy books" were divinely inspired...far too much violence in them to believe that. I think the god of these religions were created in the image of man.

I think it's fun and interesting discussing religion, Atheism, et al as long as people don't descend into name calling and other silliness. It's not fun when somebody calls a person stupid for either being a believer or an Atheist or whatever. So hopefully this will be a fun discussion, and people will want to share their beliefs without verbally fighting over them.

bombermwc
12-27-2010, 07:07 AM
I'm with JoeDaddy - as long as it doesn't turn into a "converstion" thread, i'll discuss.

How do you see God, or whatever you believe in, interacting with the physical world?
Yes - how? I see/feel God as an ever present influcence on what I do. A guide for how I behave, the decision I make, etc. So do I see God as physically playing catch with me, no. But do I feel like God indirectly impacts the physical, yes.

Does he physically change things?
See above

Does he break the laws of nature?
No. And I'm not sure what bait this question is trying to serve as. Contrary to what PEOPLE have placed on The Word, evolution serves all of God's creatures. Why do you think we're a good foot taller than our 100 year ago ancestors. As diets and medicin improve, we are able to grow more...therefore taller. That's evolution right there. The patter that works the best, stays.

Did he do it in the part but now doesn't?
Do what, nature? I think that is better left to the above question/answer.

Who is your God, and what has he done today?
Again, this feels like an open question ready for someone to pounce on. I'm a person of personal faith. I attend church for many reasons. Fellowship, friendship, family, etc. The pastor helps guide me on the journey of life to remind me that God is there and the sermon helps remind you of the ways in which is is present. My personaly faith is that I don't need an intermediary to speak with The Lord (ie Catholicism)...if I sit down and want to chat with God, I do. What has he done for me today? I'm thankful for all sorts of things in my life and feel like He is part of the reason why it is the way it is. His guidance has helped me make decisions all of my life, which has resulted in the place I am.