View Full Version : Winter Weather Discussion - Jan/Feb 2011

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Roadhawg
02-04-2011, 10:25 AM
ARGH! I love snow but I'm somewhat angry at it right now! I had to make the trek from NE Norman to near campus to pay for rent (four days late). On my way back I spun out and slammed into a curb. I nearly took out the street post and fire hydrant in the process. All of this due to the fresh snow. The result: a cracked bumper.

The bumper can be fixed and nobody was hurt so that's good.

Andrew4OU
02-04-2011, 10:33 AM
The bumper can be fixed and nobody was hurt so that's good.

Yeah, you're right. It could be worse. It was just a minor annoyance. Bleh. It is pretty to look at though!

bandnerd
02-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I didn't see any accumulation on the NW side of town, just a little dust on the driveway and I'm pretty darn happy about that.

If anyone wants to come haul off some of the hip-high drifts of snow from my front yard, they are welcome to it!

OKCMallen
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Definitely accumulation downtown.

kevinpate
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
ARGH! I love snow but I'm somewhat angry at it right now! I had to make the trek from NE Norman to near campus to pay for rent (four days late). On my way back I spun out and slammed into a curb. I nearly took out the street post and fire hydrant in the process. All of this due to the fresh snow. The result: a cracked bumper.

Glad you're ok. Two places in Norman area you might consider for repairs are Fischer's on Highland parkway off N Flood and Full Circle Auto, south of Goldsby at the NW corner of where HWY 74 and Ladd RD intersect. I've used both in the past and very happy with both.

michael
02-04-2011, 11:30 AM
ill be happy as long as i can make it to okc tomorrow early afternoon.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 11:37 AM
WTF? What a knob. The KWTV.com site clearly shows that South OKC could get 1-2" of snow today and he was simply reporting a factual statement (that we COULD see up to 2" today). Do their meteorologists meet up to your educational standards?

Personally, its Friday and I'd love to see a little more of the white stuff (regardless of what the whiners think).

Mr. Hooker Catcher,

Hello??? Meteorologists on TV have a degree from an accredited university! Thunder is just a kid that wants Armageddon every time snow is in the forecast. I've gotten maybe 1/2 an inch over here at NW 23rd & Meridian. My apologies to you south side folks that are pissed that OKC snow plows haven't made it down your way. I'll be a knob. You don't know me. I think we should have a group meet and greet cause this is just getting stupid on here (from mine and bandnerds side to every one of you other guys that have to defend a guy that obviously can't defend himself or just apologize). And I'm a whiner? You're the one whining about me commenting about Thunder so back off.

venture
02-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Okay. We need to stop this need to directly attack anyone on this this thread, or message board. Seriously. If anyone is getting this worked up over things, shut the computer off and walk away. The name calling, direct attacks, just acting like spoiled kids is getting old fast. Hiding behind avatar/forum names can make it easy to turn into an ass, but learn when to walk away.

It was obvious Thunder was referring to the news forecast for snow. We've got a couple inches of fresh powder down here in Norman.

However to the point...this thread is not meant to exclude anyone from discussing weather. That means we also will have plenty of weather enthusiasts on here discussing their feelings on conditions and events. You'd probably be shocked to realize that most TV weather personalities, have degrees in things like communications or broadcasting...not meteorology. The main guys do, but several of the others do not. I don't hold my degree in meteorology (changed majors) and have never claimed to, but does that mean I should shut my trap and not contribute?

Last bit of advice, feel free to utilize the ignore feature if you don't want to see a contributors comments. Then the temptation won't be there to get involved in a discussion you don't want to. Now, lets please get back on topic and away from this BS before the Mods have to get grumpy with this behavior.

Thunder
02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
OKCisOK4me,

I understand you have Cabin Fever from being indoor all this time during the snowstorm and going stirred crazy, but that does not give you the right to dish out an attack toward me. Let me tell you something, bucko...

I was only passing on info from the NWS and OUN's twitter feeds. It was not my prediction. You failed.

Last I checked, Armageddon involves huge fireballs, flame, fire, blah blah blah... Snowflakes is hardly that. You failed.

Being 26 is technically not of kid age. You failed.

Not my problem that you get so angry at me and dishing out attack when I merely passed on info from NWS and OUN. If you don't like it, please delete your account.

SoonerDave
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Mr. Hooker Catcher,

Hello??? Meteorologists on TV have a degree from an accredited university! Thunder is just a kid that wants Armageddon every time snow is in the forecast. I've gotten maybe 1/2 an inch over here at NW 23rd & Meridian. My apologies to you south side folks that are pissed that OKC snow plows haven't made it down your way. I'll be a knob. You don't know me. I think we should have a group meet and greet cause this is just getting stupid on here (from mine and bandnerds side to every one of you other guys that have to defend a guy that obviously can't defend himself or just apologize). And I'm a whiner? You're the one whining about me commenting about Thunder so back off.

LOL. I'm reasonably sure that Mike Morgan on KFOR does not have a meteorology degree.

michael
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
im new on here but know thunder personally, believe me, you just have to know him. he has a great heart and genuine care for people. i promise you, if he saw you stuck he would make sure you were unstuck before he left no matter who you are. yes, he is easily excited by the snow,lol.

Thunder
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
OKCisOK4me,

Btw, when I saw the prediction was up to 2" and then shortly afterward the prediction was 1-3", it was all right. Not all areas will get the same amount. Just cuz your house do not have that much does not make it wrong. >_< Most people in the prediction areas saw that much predicted snow.

Venture, sorry about that guy derailing this topic. Lets get back on track.

kevinpate
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Very nice powder dusting today in Norman, a lot lighter now. Clearing the car when it's all loose powder is downright pleasant. I might even go back out later, but first, a nap.

OKCMallen
02-04-2011, 12:02 PM
Good lord people.

Basement Fox
02-04-2011, 12:05 PM
LOL. I'm reasonably sure that Mike Morgan on KFOR does not have a meteorology degree.

That's correct, he doesn't.

Roadhawg
02-04-2011, 12:24 PM
It sure was a pretty snow while it lasted.....

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 12:28 PM
That's awesome Roadhawg! (I'll omit mine too...)

Thunder
02-04-2011, 01:01 PM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1140/fbb187c04bd44577a73385e.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is not my prediction. Please direct all attacks to NWS.

BBatesokc
02-04-2011, 01:15 PM
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1140/fbb187c04bd44577a73385e.jpg

DISCLAIMER: This is not my prediction. Please direct all attacks to NWS.

There you go again with your Armageddon, uneducated, selfish, snide remarks! (I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are correct)

Sincerely, Mr. Hooker Catcher

SoonerDave
02-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Thunder, is this new Saturday-into-Sunday forecast in addition to the possible snow that had been mentioned for Sunday into Monday, or has that just been accelerated? Or is this a product of this slow-moving low out of Texas, with still more possible late Sunday?

And do we have any more models for the Wednesday possibilities yet?

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
There you go again with your Armageddon, uneducated, selfish, snide remarks! (I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are correct)

Sincerely, Mr. Hooker Catcher

Hahahaha...thank you sir. I've moved past the nonsense including my own remark, that of which I apologized from within. It's not like I don't know who you are. I have a friend that alerted me of your remark this morning after my initial post. He can attest for my character. Thanks for not hiding behind your screen name since it IS you. I'm well aware of the chances of snow on Saturday night and Sunday AS WELL (raising my eyebrows repeatedly and shaking my head in an up and down motion) and the chance of snow next Tuesday night and Wednesday (smiling). Let's just please move forward from this debacle. Thanks VV.

Uncle Slayton
02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
I like extreme weather in all cases. I want summers to be 105+ from June 21 - Sep 21, no breaks. Winters, had I any control over it, would never get above freezing and the sun would not show its face until spring. I love tornadoes...I'm probably one of the people Venture hates during tornado season (although he's a great guy that keeps all us weather junkies supplied with our fix) simply because I drive toward whatever storm looks most promising. I came within a quarter mile of getting myself killed in that one last May.

The awe inspiring power of nature in all its forms is good, if for no other reason to remind ourselves of our comparatively small place in the Grand Scheme of things.

Sure it's inconveniencing for all of us in varying ways, but it is what it is. I got three paid days off and my only true inconvenience is having to walk to my back porch for more firewood.

Bring it. Nature/God/Mother Earth/whatever...show me your "A" game.

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 02:35 PM
Mr. Hooker Catcher,

Hey backstabbers,

Read the post again, above....

She was refering to qualifications....

My accredited degree is from the College of Geosciences from the University of Oklahoma....The school of Meteorology is IN this college. I will not make direct comparisons to any of the other TV Mets in the OKC market, but will tell you I likely have more coursework in METR from OU than 80%......this includes grad level classes.....My degree is a excellent blend of METR, GEOG, GEOL and Geographical Information Systems.

My transcript was APPROVED by the American Meteorology Society for the Professional TV seal of approval.

I began my Oklahoma professional career at 13 when I began an internship at the Oklahoma National Weather Service. That was 1976.

I can promise you my abilities from 31 years of professional TV experience in Oklahoma make me more that qualified.

The TV Meteorology department at KFOR has been the ratings LEADER in OKC for a LONG time now.....there is a lot of talent at work here when when severe weather threatens the citizens of Oklahoma.

Eating a bunch of potato chips in front of a keyboard posting stuff when severe weather is in progress is really EASY.....Doing what we do in the weather media in OKC? THAT is not.

If I had a dime for all the calls and emails from former viewers that moved to other parts of the counrty and did not feel safe because of their new TV Mets....

As a sidebar, the guy that had the MOST METR coursework from OU that tried to do OKC TV Severe Weather lasted about 1 year....then he was fired.

Boards like this are so droll and predictable when it comes to attacking other people....been there, done that, I have better use for my time.

Now back to our lives, good citizens!

Mike

drum4no1
02-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Im definitely a warm weather person. I can tolerate cold but hate ice and snow.. It just makes me appreciate spring storm season all the more..

Uncle Slayton
02-04-2011, 02:45 PM
This weather of late has reminded me of winters in the 70s when I was a kid in SE OK.

venture
02-04-2011, 02:49 PM
We have a good mix of people here I think. LOL I'm more so a cold weather person and love the snow (growing up with it helped I guess). I hate extreme heat and dry weather. Severe weather is still exciting and enjoy seeing mother nature go all out - in an open field away from people of course.

Current weather...3 main areas of snow in the state. One area of light to moderate snow is in eastern OK near the low. Next is a band of light snow from Tulsa to just east of Norman to Ardmore. This band isn't moving much but individual cells are moving south. Then another band/blotch of snow in North Central OK moving into the north Metro. This is going roughly SSW. Everything well trend east some, but we'll likely just see the snow fall generally weaken and just end. We are also getting a downward trend in coverage and intensities...so maybe another half inch to and inch for some people and that'll be it. A nice refreshing coat of powder.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Uncle Slayton, I'm like you too. I honestly love a good thunderstorm with lots of lightning and a tornado and all the thrashings of mother nature but it wasn't until I came to be paying for things like a car, car insurance, living somewhere where I don't have a garage for my car or covered parking that made me realize that there are other people out there just like me that have the same kind of issues. Don't get me wrong, lol, I love spring time storms. As long as they're out in open fields--tornadoes and such, not destroying peoples livelihoods or ways of life. In the city, I just love an awesome tropical torrential downpour storm with those big bolts of lightning and those crazy instant pop thunders as if the storm is just getting going.

venture
02-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Afternoon Norman Discussion...

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
328 PM CST FRI FEB 4 2011

.DISCUSSION...THERE IS MUCH INTEREST IN WHAT WILL BE A CONTINUED
COLD PATTERN FOR THE NEXT WEEK...WITH AT LEAST TWO MORE
OPPORTUNITIES FOR SNOW.

AN UPPER LOW TRACKING THROUGH OKLAHOMA AND NORTH TEXAS TODAY...HAD
LITTLE OPPORTUNITY TO AMPLIFY...GIVEN THAT IT WAS OVERRIDING A
STABLE COLD DOME. BUT THE BROAD LARGE SCALE ASCENT...COUPLED WITH
VERY COLD UPPER LEVEL TEMPERATURES...RESULTED IN A DENDRITIC SNOW
GROWTH PROCESS...AND GENEROUS SNOWFALL OF 1-3 INCHES NEAR INTERSTATE
35...AND 3-5 INCHES FARTHER EAST. THE LOW WAS SLOW MOVING...WITHOUT
A REAL KICKER SYSTEM. IT WAS OPENING UP...THOUGH...AND WHATEVER SNOW
FALLS THIS EVENING SHOULD BE LIGHTER AND LIGHTER...WITH LITTLE
ADDITIONAL ACCUMULATION.

FLOW WILL THEN RESPOND TO AN APPROACHING DIP IN THE NORTHERN JET
STREAM. INCREASED WESTERLY FLOW AT ALL LEVELS SHOULD YIELD CLEARING
OVERNIGHT. WITH DRY AIR ADVECTING OVER THE SNOW FIELD IN A DOWNSLOPE
FASHION...SUSPECT THERE WILL NOT BE ANY SIGNIFICANT FOG...THOUGH
PATCHY SHALLOW FOG DUE TO MELTING/SUBLIMATION IS POSSIBLE. MID LEVEL
CLOUDS WILL INCREASE ON SATURDAY...BUT SKIES SHOULD BE AT LEAST
PARTLY SUNNY...WITH TEMPERATURES FORECAST ABOVE FREEZING FOR AT
LEAST A FEW MIDDAY HOURS.

THE NORTHERN STREAM CLIPPER SYSTEM THEN ARRIVES SATURDAY NIGHT AND
SUNDAY. IT HAS BEEN DIFFICULT TO EXTRACT THE MOST PERSISTENT AND
MEANINGFUL SIGNALS FROM THE MODELS REGARDING THIS SYSTEM. OUR
TAKE...HOWEVER...IS THAT WHATEVER LOW LEVEL WARMING TAKES PLACE
SATURDAY SHOULD BE QUICKLY REDUCED BY POST FRONTAL LIFT AND
EVAPORATIVE COOLING ASSOCIATED WITH THE CLIPPER SYSTEM. WE SHOULD
EXPERIENCE A MINIMAL PERIOD OF COLD LIGHT RAIN THAT WILL CHANGE
QUICKLY OVER TO SNOW. QPF IN THE NAM HAS BEEN LIGHT OR AT LEAST
INCONSISTENT...AS THE 18Z RUN NOW PAINTS A THIN STRIPE OF 1-3
INCHES. THE PATTERN OF HEIGHT FALLS...STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE
RATES...AND LIFT IN THE DENDRITIC CRYSTAL ZONE...ARGUES TOWARD A
MORE WIDESPREAD ACCUMULATION OF SNOW THAT MAY AFFECT MOST IF NOT ALL
OF OUR FORECAST AREA. MAXIMUM AMOUNTS WOULD BE LOCATED NEAR THE
TRACK OF GREATER HEIGHT FALLS THROUGH WESTERN AND SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA
AND WESTERN NORTH TEXAS. WITH SUPPORT OF THE ECMWF AND GFS...WE
BUMPED SNOW GRIDS UP TO REFLECT 1-3 INCHES ACROSS THE REGION. WITH
SNOW TO LIQUID RATIOS LIKELY TO BE NEAR OR GREATER THAN AVERAGE...WE
WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE LOCAL REPORTS OF 4 TO 5 INCHES MUCH
LIKE WE RECEIVED TODAY. SINCE THIS IS NOT UNTIL THE THIRD AND FOURTH
PERIODS...AND GIVEN SOME LACK OF MODEL CONVERGENCE...WE WILL NOT
ISSUE AN ADVISORY JUST YET...BUT SUSPECT ONE WILL BE NEEDED.
FORTUNATELY...WINDS SHOULD NOT BE TOO STRONG WITH THIS SYSTEM...BUT
GUSTS OVER 20 MPH ARE LIKELY.

AFTER A BRIEF AND LIMITED WARM UP ON MONDAY...WE SEE ANOTHER WEATHER
SYSTEM TAKE SHAPE TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. UNLIKE THE CLIPPER
SYSTEM...THIS ONE COMES IN AT A FLATTER ANGLE...AND HAS MORE
POTENTIAL TO UNDERGO AMPLIFICATION. THE DEGREE OF AMPLIFICATION WILL
DEPEND ON THE TIMING OF THE NEXT ARCTIC COLD FRONT ALONG WITH THE
STRENGTH OF THE UPPER WAVE...SOMETHING THAT WILL NOT BE SAMPLED BY
THE INLAND UPPER AIR NETWORK UNTIL MONDAY MORNING. THEREFORE...THERE
IS A LARGER AMOUNT OF UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THIS SYSTEM. WE ARE
CONFIDENT...HOWEVER...THAT THE SYSTEM WILL BRING VERY COLD WEATHER
AND INCREASED WINDS BY WEDNESDAY...AND THAT SOME SNOW ACCUMULATION
IS LIKELY OVER PART OR MOST OF THE REGION. THE 12Z GFS REPRESENTS ONE
EXTREME...WITH A VERY EARLY ARRIVAL OF COLD AIR AND LITTLE
AMPLIFICATION OF THE UPPER WAVE...WHILE THE 12Z ECMWF REPRESENTS
ANOTHER EXTREME...WITH THE SURFACE AND UPPER FEATURES ACTING IN
CONCERT TO GENERATE A STRONG WINTER STORM. WITH THE GFS TENDENCY TO
MOVE SYSTEMS TOO QUICKLY...WE LEANED CLOSER TO THE ECMWF IN
SPREADING HIGH CHANCE POPS AND GREATER WIND SPEEDS INTO WEDNESDAY.
FOLLOWING THE ARCTIC FRONT...REGARDLESS OF THE INTENSITY OF
SNOWFALL...THE COLD AIR IS LIKELY REMAIN IN PLACE THROUGH THE END OF
NEXT WEEK. AGAIN...THE STORM MAY COME INTO BETTER FOCUS OVER THIS
WEEKEND...BUT CERTAINLY BY MONDAY...AS THE UPPER TROUGH MOVES INLAND.

OKCisOK4me
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
Sounds fun (totally sarcastic/not whiney, lol)! I can't wait to get to spring time weather (not including a late snow storm)...

70's baby! 70's!!

venture
02-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I have the chat room set to go back up starting tomorrow morning. It probably won't be moderated much until we have advisories and such taking place.

Coleyohso
02-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Will you repost the link to it after you get it up?

bandnerd
02-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Uncle Slayton, I'm like you too. I honestly love a good thunderstorm with lots of lightning and a tornado and all the thrashings of mother nature but it wasn't until I came to be paying for things like a car, car insurance, living somewhere where I don't have a garage for my car or covered parking that made me realize that there are other people out there just like me that have the same kind of issues. Don't get me wrong, lol, I love spring time storms. As long as they're out in open fields--tornadoes and such, not destroying peoples livelihoods or ways of life. In the city, I just love an awesome tropical torrential downpour storm with those big bolts of lightning and those crazy instant pop thunders as if the storm is just getting going.

You're making me have spring fever already. Sigh. Totally agree about the tornadoes in open fields and big bolts of lightning.

Martin
02-04-2011, 04:29 PM
not sure what's up with all the hate in this thread... let's keep things civil and on topic. -M

drum4no1
02-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Cold weather and lack of sunshine is getting to people...myself included

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 05:27 PM

Great..... a head basher and runner... "SoonerDave"

...... Been there done this 10 or 15 years ago. My OU degree is from the College of Geosciences. I have all METR classes including some grad level courses....My degree is a very science heavy blend of METR, GEOL, GEOG and GIS.

AMS TV seal af approval and sent my transcript in to get that. 31 years of professional TV experience. Interned for the Oklahoma NWS at age 13 to 16 years of age.....1976. This is all really droll, so I will not continue.

Thunder
02-04-2011, 07:27 PM

...... Been there done this 10 or 15 years ago. My OU degree is from the College of Geosciences. I have all METR classes including some grad level courses....My degree is a very science heavy blend of METR, GEOL, GEOG and GIS.

AMS TV seal af approval and sent my transcript in to get that. 31 years of professional TV experience. Interned for the Oklahoma NWS at age 13 to 16 years of age.....1976. This is all really droll, so I will not continue.

Are you The Mike Morgan? Seriously? For real? :-O

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Yes.

Matt
02-04-2011, 07:39 PM
Hey backstabbers,

Read the post again, above....

She was refering to qualifications....

My accredited degree is from the College of Geosciences from the University of Oklahoma....The school of Meteorology is IN this college. I will not make direct comparisons to any of the other TV Mets in the OKC market, but will tell you I likely have more coursework in METR from OU than 80%......this includes grad level classes.....My degree is a excellent blend of METR, GEOG, GEOL and Geographical Information Systems.

My transcript was APPROVED by the American Meteorology Society for the Professional TV seal of approval.

I began my Oklahoma professional career at 13 when I began an internship at the Oklahoma National Weather Service. That was 1976.

I can promise you my abilities from 31 years of professional TV experience in Oklahoma make me more that qualified.

The TV Meteorology department at KFOR has been the ratings LEADER in OKC for a LONG time now.....there is a lot of talent at work here when when severe weather threatens the citizens of Oklahoma.

Eating a bunch of potato chips in front of a keyboard posting stuff when severe weather is in progress is really EASY.....Doing what we do in the weather media in OKC? THAT is not.

If I had a dime for all the calls and emails from former viewers that moved to other parts of the counrty and did not feel safe because of their new TV Mets....

As a sidebar, the guy that had the MOST METR coursework from OU that tried to do OKC TV Severe Weather lasted about 1 year....then he was fired.

Boards like this are so droll and predictable when it comes to attacking other people....been there, done that, I have better use for my time.

Now back to our lives, good citizens!

Mike

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/1118/popcorno.gif

Andrew4OU
02-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Mike - since you're on here. Let's hear your forecast for mid-week! I haven't heard any snow totals for this upcoming storm. I saw your 6PM forecast but missed if you had any predictions on totals.

Easy180
02-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Based on my experience in banking next week looks like a big ole slice of uncertainty pie...Some sites are leaning toward a minor snow event so that gives us some hope

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Yep, that is what I said, above.

As far as putting forecasts on this forum, I am going to resist.

Sometimes I will be right, sometimes wrong....I just do the best I can....but will usually "put it out there"

Have spent way to much time getting talky on web forums in the past, and will again, certainly, but want to try and keep my current balance in my life...Lord knows TV and Oklahoma weather are a full plate enough.

drum4no1
02-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I believe Mike would agree its too early to pin down any amounts for mid week.. Mike I believe you guys do a great job and have saved more lives during severe weather than alot of the people here understand.. Living in Moore im sure you have helped me and my family many times..

michael
02-04-2011, 08:14 PM
glad to have you on here kformike!! keep on with your good work.

Uncle Slayton
02-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Strange twists and turns this thread is taking. Put me down for more snow, hell, we still have six or seven weeks of winter to go...

bandnerd
02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
My spring bulbs sprouted weeks ago...wonder if the weather will catch up to them? ;) I love a good snow, but dangit, I'm going to my school tomorrow to try and shovel sidewalks and parking lots, since we don't have anyone else to do that but parents, students, and faculty.

After all this shoveling, my biceps might be ready for the gun show. 0.o Hahaha.

SoonerDave
02-04-2011, 09:14 PM

Mike,

I'm not sure what you meant by "a head basher and a runner," but my instinct is that you felt I was being insulting and not "sticking around" to stand behind what I said.

For the sake of completeness, the previous poster had brought up the issue about local TV weather forecasters "having accredited meteorological degrees" as a means to bash on another poster similarly absent such a degree. I was correcting that misapprehension by pointing out that one of the high-profile meteorologists in this market does, himself, not have such a degree. It was not intended as an insult to anyone, but to point out the fallacy of that particular poster.

As for me, I'm not a "runner." I've been on this board for some time, and have no problem standing behind what I've said. Ironically enough, I've not posted here much recently for the express purpose of avoiding the pointless arguments that often ensue from what would seem to be the least incendiary possible topics, but lo and behold, here we are, trying to get past an entirely different kind of storm in a weather thread. Alas.

If I have misunderstood your "head basher and runner" comment, my apologies. In all honesty, all I really ever hope to see in this thread is the "Winter Weather Discussion" promised in the thread title....

Peace...

-SoonerDave

SoonerDave
02-04-2011, 09:20 PM
This weather of late has reminded me of winters in the 70s when I was a kid in SE OK.

The closest thing in my memory to this weather (and that of 2009) was a series of snowstorms in the fall of 1977 if I recall correctly. I was in the 8th grade, attending Highland West Middle School in Moore, and back then school just didn't shut down as readily as it does today. The buses would take us to school around 8:30, and then turn right back around for the trip home at about 11:00. We seemed to go something on the order of a week-plus with a snowstorm seemingly every other day, with 4'+ foot drifts and intense cold even after the snowstorms had departed. We finally ended up having to go to school on a Saturday to make up all the missed days. The intense, repetitive, high-volume snowstorms were something I know I'll never forget...

Uncle Slayton
02-04-2011, 09:24 PM
The closest thing in my memory to this weather (and that of 2009) was a series of snowstorms in the fall of 1977 if I recall correctly. I was in the 8th grade, attending Highland West Middle School in Moore, and back then school just didn't shut down as readily as it does today. The buses would take us to school around 8:30, and then turn right back around for the trip home at about 11:00. We seemed to go something on the order of a week-plus with a snowstorm seemingly every other day, with 4'+ foot drifts and intense cold even after the snowstorms had departed. We finally ended up having to go to school on a Saturday to make up all the missed days. The intense, repetitive, high-volume snowstorms were something I know I'll never forget...

That sounds about right...mom always made us go to prayer meeting on Wednesday night and I remember that for several weeks the snow from the previous week wouldn't have melted when the next storm arrived on top of it...typical for Wisconsin or Minnesota but not SE OK.

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure what you meant by "a head basher and a runner," but my instinct is that you felt I was being insulting and not "sticking around" to stand behind what I said.

For the sake of completeness, the previous poster had brought up the issue about local TV weather forecasters "having accredited meteorological degrees" as a means to bash on another poster similarly absent such a degree. I was correcting that misapprehension by pointing out that one of the high-profile meteorologists in this market does, himself, not have such a degree. It was not intended as an insult to anyone, but to point out the fallacy of that particular poster.

As for me, I'm not a "runner." I've been on this board for some time, and have no problem standing behind what I've said. Ironically enough, I've not posted here much recently for the express purpose of avoiding the pointless arguments that often ensue from what would seem to be the least incendiary possible topics, but lo and behold, here we are, trying to get past an entirely different kind of storm in a weather thread. Alas.

If I have misunderstood your "head basher and runner" comment, my apologies. In all honesty, all I really ever hope to see in this thread is the "Winter Weather Discussion" promised in the thread title....

Peace...

-SoonerDave

Not exactly, SoonerDave....I was making reference to your "LOL" then "Quickly discrediting Mike Morgan" comment with no offer to provide anything else. That sounds like a hit and run to me.

I can promise you, if we did not know our stuff, it would quickly show and there would be blood in the streets at the expense of great TV severe weather information......and....after the past 13 months we have had, I've just had it with hit and runs.

Peace SoonerDave,
Mike

Bunty
02-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Strange twists and turns this thread is taking. Put me down for more snow, hell, we still have six or seven weeks of winter to go...

You mean the Oklahoma ground hog, whoever that is saw its own shadow? The official one in Pensylvania did NOT.

venture
02-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Sigh....last post: Today 10:27 PM ... Apparently enough time during a news cast to post on a thread. Obvious troll is obvious. Guys be careful what you fall for. :-)

ou48A
02-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Meteorologist and football coaches have some things common.

Many people love make commentary on their performance and talk about what they saw.
But it’s usually those who understand the details at the lowest levels who are often the harshest critics.
Even though it may not always seem like it Oklahomans in general have a higher football and weather IQ than just about anywhere else.

Bunty
02-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Mike,

For the sake of completeness, the previous poster had brought up the issue about local TV weather forecasters "having accredited meteorological degrees" as a means to bash on another poster similarly absent such a degree. I was correcting that misapprehension by pointing out that one of the high-profile meteorologists in this market does, himself, not have such a degree.

Which one is that? Gary England at KWTV-9?

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Sigh....last post: Today 10:27 PM ... Apparently enough time during a news cast to post on a thread. Obvious troll is obvious. Guys be careful what you fall for. :-)

Nope, no troller. It was me. Many might be surprised at what we can do just off camera....Esp. during 7 hours of SVR WX coverage....but having a nuff time to pee? Well, now that's when I need Jim G. to talk for a while! (and he can!)

venture
02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
Hum. Well at least the mods can verify your identity since the board captures your IP address and the email you used to confirm your registration.

SoonerDave
02-04-2011, 09:59 PM
nm

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Have time at 10:27PM, sure.....I'm not on again until 10:29PM. Besides, at 10:27PM, my day is hopefully almost done.

ou48A
02-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Nope, no troller. It was me. Many might be surprised at what we can do just off camera....Esp. during 7 hours of SVR WX coverage....but having a nuff time to pee? Well, now that's when I need Jim G. to talk for a while! (and he can!)

Mike how does your voice not go horse when you’re on for hours at a time?
Do you ever feel like pulling up a chair while doing extended coverage?

KFORMIKE
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Don't know....Imagine it will before long....On May 10th I was trying to eat french fries and cover (lingering) severe weather at exactly the same time and aspirated one of them. Sucked it right down.....Ha! Emily took over for 5 minutes so I could try to cough it back up....fortunately it did, but could sure feel the track it took in my right lung. My wife is a nurse, and she said it could have killed me. Joy.

ou48A
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
My biggest concern about a new snow storm is that we already so much snow in the bar ditches and in other places that it’s not going to take a very large amount of wind driven snow to make it worse for the roads than the most recent blizzard. it will make the snow even deeper on the roads