View Full Version : I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Snowman
10-26-2018, 06:10 PM
Also, this next phase still isn't the final phase. So, even though this is the "permanent" striping for this phase of construction, the final phases could include additional lane changes?

In the end, only 4 lanes continue northbound at this point. One lane is going to be dedicated to the those coming from 44 going east, one lane will go from 44 coming west with additional traffic from Lincoln, so that gives them two lanes for i235 till another round of major construction.

jn1780
10-31-2018, 09:02 AM
Yeah, the whole northeast section wont be done until 1 or 2 years after the interchange is complete. So it's not the final configuration. 63rd ramp and ramp coming from westbound i44 and Lincoln will be on temp pavement for a little while longer. Just getting rid of those two clovers will see huge improvement.

jn1780
10-31-2018, 09:05 AM
SB is now stripped and done. It's nice, traffic was flowing nicely once passing the interchange.

hipsterdoofus
11-01-2018, 05:56 PM
SB is now stripped and done. It's nice, traffic was flowing nicely once passing the interchange.

temporary stripes were shaved off northbound, so I'm expecting we will be on some more permanent lanes, maybe as early as tomorrow.

Pete
11-01-2018, 05:58 PM
temporary stripes were shaved off northbound, so I'm expecting we will be on some more permanent lanes, maybe as early as tomorrow.

When I went through there today it looked like they were almost ready to open that all up, apart from the exit to 50th.

bombermwc
11-02-2018, 06:30 AM
If you listened to channel 5 this morning, you'd think the whole project was done. LOL. Yes the N/S lanes are supposed to be fully open now and that IS awesome. But like with 240/35, we're a long way away from being done.

They mentioned an even more disruptive project, but i didn't catch what it was. Anyone know what they might have been talking about? 44/40???

5alive
11-02-2018, 08:04 AM
They are talking about 11 bridges that will be built at the interchange that will be part of a flyover system...

5alive
11-02-2018, 08:05 AM
That's according to an interview with Terri Angier with ODOT

bucktalk
11-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Can you imagine ODOT or OG&E or whoever would be so aggressive with making sure all highway lighting in the metro was actually working!?!? When I see new lights begin installed on a new project I think, 'why install these....they won't work 6 months from now!'

jn1780
11-02-2018, 11:07 AM
Can you imagine ODOT or OG&E or whoever would be so aggressive with making sure all highway lighting in the metro was actually working!?!? When I see new lights begin installed on a new project I think, 'why install these....they won't work 6 months from now!'

Well, at least the conduit is and fixtures are there if they ever decide to get all the lights going again.

jn1780
11-02-2018, 11:11 AM
If you listened to channel 5 this morning, you'd think the whole project was done. LOL. Yes the N/S lanes are supposed to be fully open now and that IS awesome. But like with 240/35, we're a long way away from being done.

They mentioned an even more disruptive project, but i didn't catch what it was. Anyone know what they might have been talking about? 44/40???

This specific set of awarded contracts are complete. So from a certain point of view this project is done.

They are pretty much immediately starting on the next phase instead of waiting two years so that's progress. In two years the worse will be behind us.

tyeomans
11-02-2018, 11:34 AM
This specific set of awarded contracts are complete. So from a certain point of view this project is done.

They are pretty much immediately starting on the next phase instead of waiting two years so that's progress. In two years the worse will be behind us.

So when does this construction start? This will replace the current bridge over I-44, correct?

hipsterdoofus
11-02-2018, 01:48 PM
I love the fact that they got the lighting up. Seems like on the further north section of broadway extension, they did the road surface first and lights much later. It's great that the lights are already working at the 50th street curve, makes that a lot safer. It also makes it stand out to me how dark the i-44 interchange is!

BlackmoreRulz
11-03-2018, 06:35 PM
Are they going to paint the RR bridge or just leave a rusty behemoth?

Plutonic Panda
11-03-2018, 07:01 PM
Are they going to paint the RR bridge or just leave a rusty behemoth?I honestly forgot the answer, but I believe it has been posted.

Either way, I like the way it looks. This is a nice stretch of freeway.

BG918
11-03-2018, 07:09 PM

What you don’t like the Cleveland Rust Belt feel of that stretch of highway now? ;)

OKC Guy
11-03-2018, 07:35 PM

No paint it will stay as is. Paint can actually cause rust over time and this is treated. I like the rusty look.

TheTravellers
11-04-2018, 12:10 PM

It's designed that way, the rust forms a protective barrier, it's called weathering steel.

Anonymous.
11-05-2018, 07:58 AM
I finally used this with the latest lane configuration. I wonder how long they are going to leave those flashing speed limit signs that say something like 35 or 45. When I went through, everyone was going 60+ as the current layout is built for it. OHP could have a field day in there right now.

hipsterdoofus
11-05-2018, 10:35 AM
I finally used this with the latest lane configuration. I wonder how long they are going to leave those flashing speed limit signs that say something like 35 or 45. When I went through, everyone was going 60+ as the current layout is built for it. OHP could have a field day in there right now.

I want to say that that stuff was gone going southbound this morning. I have been wondering the same thing since they opened up the southbound stuff - its been tough to go thru there and not get run over while trying to obey the construction zone speed limit, but I think those old speed limit signs were gone today. Now it just needs to be corrected in Waze :-)

RickVX
11-05-2018, 10:41 AM
Wait... they are already removing the construction zone signs? The 50th Street bridge has been open for 5 months now and they finally removed the signs just 3 weeks ago. Well, they removed them for westbound traffic on 50th; the signs are still there for eastbound traffic.

David
11-05-2018, 11:37 AM
I-235 highway and bridge project completed ahead of schedule (https://newsok.com/article/5613833/i-235-highway-and-bridge-project-completed-ahead-of-schedule)

A snippet about the next phases:

Motorists will have a few months to enjoy the newly opened lanes before construction is expected to begin next spring on the next project, Angier said.

The next project will combine phases five and six and is expected to be even more disruptive to traffic, she said.

Highway construction crews will be widening I-235/Broadway Extension from near NW 50 Street, where the last project left off, to NW 63 Street.

The $80 million project will include a major reconfiguration of the I-44 interchange that will include 11 new bridges and flyover ramps like the ones linking Lake Hefner Parkway with the Kilpatrick Turnpike in northwest Oklahoma City, Angier said. Much of the work will be in the northeast quadrant.

CloudDeckMedia
11-05-2018, 12:15 PM
There is still a northbound bottleneck just south of the railroad bridge when four lanes reduce to two (the far left lane merges right, and the far right lane exits at 50th). Then follows a section of off- and on-ramps at 50th Street, I-44 and 63rd Street, before I-235 widens again to four lanes. Wouldn't this narrowing cause congestion?

onthestrip
11-05-2018, 02:11 PM
Kind of mind blowing that this one intersection improvement is costing $300 million. Crazy how expensive roads can be.

Also something to keep in mind next time you hear someone complain about costs of public transportation projects, bike lanes, sidewalks etc. They usually pale in comparison to what we pay for our roads.

Plutonic Panda
11-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Really!? Have you seen the cost of public transportation projects? They are often into the billions.

bombermwc
11-06-2018, 08:07 AM
I hope they stay working on 240/35 then if they are going to keep working on this interchange. It needs to be finished just as badly.

hipsterdoofus
11-06-2018, 11:40 AM
There is still a northbound bottleneck just south of the railroad bridge when four lanes reduce to two (the far left lane merges right, and the far right lane exits at 50th). Then follows a section of off- and on-ramps at 50th Street, I-44 and 63rd Street, before I-235 widens again to four lanes. Wouldn't this narrowing cause congestion?

They just moved the bottleneck from 36th up north to 50th. I'm not sure that's going to be good as it's right at the curve. Already no one gets over when the lane ends and it causes issues. I wish they'd always put lanes that are ending on the right side instead of the left. I suppose time will tell how this change will work out.

jccouger
11-06-2018, 12:32 PM
The left lane merge is only going to be temporary until the full interchange is completed, right?

LakeEffect
11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
The left lane merge is only going to be temporary until the full interchange is completed, right?

Correct. But it'll be a couple+ years.

rte66man
11-08-2018, 06:45 PM
Correct. But it'll be a couple+ years.

The next stage is on the final December bid opening list. It is for the through lanes on 235 as well as the NB 235 to WB 44 and EB 44 to NB 235 flyovers. Budgeted to take 2 years (assuming they will include the usual bonuses for early completion).

jonny d
11-08-2018, 07:05 PM
Will be fun to see the 11 bridges being built! But driving that stretch will suck for 2 years!

OKC Guy
11-08-2018, 07:33 PM
Will be fun to see the 11 bridges being built! But driving that stretch will suck for 2 years!

I don’t think it will be as bad.

- They should be able to build one new bridge next to current lanes then when done move ome set of lanes over, tear down old and build 2nd new and move/tear down. The flyovers will be likely weekend closures to lift pieces but can build pillars without messing up too much traffic.

- With east44 to south 235 done plus 50th st open more drivers will take that way to avoid bottleneck.

I think the section of 44 just under/east of current 235 overpass will be impacted due to bridge/pillar work. They will have much more work going on down ther imo.

235 will be slowed down but the work section will be smaller and once south of overpass its all done so can speed up again.

David
11-09-2018, 08:35 AM
I drive through this every day, so I'm simultaneously excited and horrified to see the next phase start.

sgt. pepper
11-09-2018, 09:32 AM
The next stage is on the final December bid opening list. It is for the through lanes on 235 as well as the NB 235 to WB 44 and EB 44 to NB 235 flyovers. Budgeted to take 2 years (assuming they will include the usual bonuses for early completion).

Can anybody much smarter than me post the rendering of the intersection highlighting these ramps and roads that are next to be built next?

tyeomans
11-09-2018, 09:38 AM
I'd like to know what all 11 bridges are. I know there are the two flyover bridges, but where are the other 9? Does 50th street overpass count?

KayneMo
11-09-2018, 10:37 AM
I'd like to know what all 11 bridges are. I know there are the two flyover bridges, but where are the other 9? Does 50th street overpass count?

https://www.ok.gov/odot/images/I235Rendering_web.jpg

It looks like from this rendering: 5 new bridges that cross Deep Fork (including flyover from NB I-235/US-77 to WB I-44), 3 bridges for I-235/US-77 over I-44, 1 flyover from EB I-44 to NB US-77 and 1 bridge from that flyover to NW 63rd, and 1 bridge from NB I-235/US-77 to NW 63rd.

David
12-04-2018, 09:09 AM
Largest contract in state highway department history approved for I-235/I-44 work (https://newsok.com/article/5616772/largest-contract-in-state-highway-department-history-approved-for-i-235i-44-work)

Login only for the moment, but according to the visible summary the contract for $105 million was awarded Monday.

OklahomaNick
12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
Man, hopefully this next phase has a lot of incentives to get done early like the train bridge phase just south of there.
It's so nice driving through that newly completed phase. I literally cannot picture what it's going to be like to be able to drive 60-70 MPH through that interchange when it's complete and free flowing. I wonder how traffic will look when it's complete..

bombermwc
12-07-2018, 06:46 AM
They've just stopped at 240/35 and aren't doing anything at all there. And yet we're seeing the largest contract ever being signed for this one. Me thinks there's a little unfairness going on here.

jn1780
12-07-2018, 07:03 AM
They've just stopped at 240/35 and aren't doing anything at all there. And yet we're seeing the largest contract ever being signed for this one. Me thinks there's a little unfairness going on here.

Did they take projects off of the 8 year plan? If they didnt then it's completely fair. That's just the reality of Oklahomas budget and the way it plans out road construction.

Plutonic Panda
12-07-2018, 10:30 AM
They've just stopped at 240/35 and aren't doing anything at all there. And yet we're seeing the largest contract ever being signed for this one. Me thinks there's a little unfairness going on here.It looks like all remaining phases of that project will be combined into one. They need to build the damn thing already.

bchris02
12-07-2018, 05:49 PM
It looks like all remaining phases of that project will be combined into one. They need to build the damn thing already.

I personally remember there was a lot of talk about it back in 1999 when Crossroads Mall was still popular. We are about to enter 2019 and it still hasn't been done.

Snowman
12-07-2018, 06:23 PM
I personally remember there was a lot of talk about it back in 1999 when Crossroads Mall was still popular. We are about to enter 2019 and it still hasn't been done.

After several years of following the 8 year plan, it seems like the things listed as 8 years out have often been more like 15 years out

Plutonic Panda
12-07-2018, 06:30 PM
Likely due to the way OkDOT funds it’s projects due to the backwards policies the state enacts. That coupled with the iron fists the state rules with on cities freedoms to collect revenue in different ways, it’s hard to find the money. Interchanges like this were removed by many major cities 40 years ago.

Plutonic Panda
12-07-2018, 06:32 PM
After several years of following the 8 year plan, it seems like the things listed as 8 years out have often been more like 15 years out
It’s a mixed bag. Some things get moved up and others pushed down the list. A simple federal grant can change a fact of a project getting off the ground in 2 years or not being scheduled for completion for over a decade—see the Calera US-75 freeway conversion project.

jn1780
12-11-2018, 08:11 AM
The next phase starts in the spring. NB to WB overpass and a new SB I235 bridge over that smaller river are the first tasks. Half of the EB to NB over will also be constructed in this sequence. So it will probably be winter 2020 before things get really bad.

rte66man
12-11-2018, 07:15 PM
Interchanges like this were removed by many major cities 40 years ago.

You should go to Minneapolis sometime. Makes you thankful for some of our interchanges. 35W/494, 35W/694, etc.

Of Sound Mind
12-12-2018, 06:04 AM
Interchanges like this were removed by many major cities 40 years ago.
Can you elaborate on this? Interchanges like "this"... what exactly?

bombermwc
12-12-2018, 06:56 AM
I think Of Sound is referring to the move towards flyover and removal of clovers.

Plutonic Panda
12-12-2018, 07:15 AM
Can you elaborate on this? Interchanges like "this"... what exactly?
Cloverleafs.

Plutonic Panda
12-12-2018, 07:17 AM
You should go to Minneapolis sometime. Makes you thankful for some of our interchanges. 35W/494, 35W/694, etc.
You are the second person to point out the sh!tty interchanges the twin cities have. I really want to take a trip there as for some reason I think I’d really like Minneapolis minus the interchanges. LOL

hipsterdoofus
12-15-2018, 09:54 AM
Sorry...but I have a bit of a rant / public service announcement here:

<rant>
People entering 235 north at 36th street - you now have a FULL MILE to merge - quit getting up to the top of the ramp and stopping and driving over the solid white line to merge. If you wait and merge closer to 50th, you probably won't even have to stop, plus you won't make the people made behind you that have no idea why you stopped on a dime! </rant>

OKC Guy
12-15-2018, 02:08 PM
Sorry...but I have a bit of a rant / public service announcement here:

<rant>
People entering 235 north at 36th street - you now have a FULL MILE to merge - quit getting up to the top of the ramp and stopping and driving over the solid white line to merge. If you wait and merge closer to 50th, you probably won't even have to stop, plus you won't make the people made behind you that have no idea why you stopped on a dime! </rant>

1,000,000 times this!

And its even worse 36th to 235 South! Why do drivers try and merge as soon as they round corner? Traffic is moving at around 65 and idiots try and merge on going 40-45 and can’t figure out why drivers like me honk and flip them off lol.

What we need to do is build concrete barriers for a qtr mile on both sections so drivers can’t merge right away. They did this on 44west approaching the section just past May and it works. Or put up bendable slender cones built into concrete.

Another per peeve while on a roll, why do drivers treat 235 overpasses like a mountain climb? 23rd street overpass. 122nd street. You would think they are driving an underpowered semi going up a steep grade. Its an overpass you can still drive 60! Yet some drivers slow down to 45 for some reason, with no traffic ahead of them.

There is a very small segment of drivers who make driving dangerous for all drivers.

hipsterdoofus
12-15-2018, 02:46 PM
1,000,000 times this!

And its even worse 36th to 235 South! Why do drivers try and merge as soon as they round corner? Traffic is moving at around 65 and idiots try and merge on going 40-45 and can’t figure out why drivers like me honk and flip them off lol.

What we need to do is build concrete barriers for a qtr mile on both sections so drivers can’t merge right away. They did this on 44west approaching the section just past May and it works. Or put up bendable slender cones built into concrete.

Another per peeve while on a roll, why do drivers treat 235 overpasses like a mountain climb? 23rd street overpass. 122nd street. You would think they are driving an underpowered semi going up a steep grade. Its an overpass you can still drive 60! Yet some drivers slow down to 45 for some reason, with no traffic ahead of them.

There is a very small segment of drivers who make driving dangerous for all drivers.

I understood it right after construction finished because that really was the merge area we had, but its been weeks. Surely everyone's had a chance to drive on this and realize your lane isn't ending?

Snowman
12-15-2018, 02:50 PM
1,000,000 times this!

Another thing in those areas that come up is there seems the majority of people who treat the yellow speed signs like they are a legal limit (ironically maybe more than treat the actual speed limits as such), they are not legally binding and what a vehicle can do varies by type and how it is loaded. Not surprisingly they advise for the worst case of a high center vehicle that could roll over in a turn, pretty much any sedan probably could go at or near the speed limit in a cloverleaf if no one was in front of them, crossovers/SUVs/pickups are more likely to need to back off some of the speed limit but generally not as much as they do.

rezman
12-15-2018, 03:49 PM
1,000,000 times this!

All the more reason to implement mandatory driver retraining, because it aint getting any better .... but that’s a whole ‘nother subject for a different thread.

pw405
12-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Took 44 East to 235 South last night. NICE! I guess I never actually took this exit post construction yet. Here's to hoping the final phase(s) are ahead of schedule.

bradh
12-16-2018, 09:28 AM
You are the second person to point out the sh!tty interchanges the twin cities have. I really want to take a trip there as for some reason I think I’d really like Minneapolis minus the interchanges. LOL

I mean, they're just awful, but having a boatload of flyovers in a climate like this gets dicey.

494/35W is one of the worst. 694/35W will get reworked starting next year as part of the project adding MnPass lanes to 35W there (at least I hope)

rte66man
12-16-2018, 06:42 PM

Just make sure you go in the summer :)

bradh
12-16-2018, 06:43 PM
Don't be a wuss, experience the winter!