View Full Version : I-235 / I-44 Interchange

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

David
10-31-2016, 09:50 AM
That's a pretty reasonable explanation.

HangryHippo
10-31-2016, 10:03 AM
Now THAT is how to Internet. Well done, Bill Brasky!

A good engineer NEVER publishes a diagram that does not have north facing up (top of page), unless the item in question is too long vertically. In this case, it would have been easy to publish vertically... Also, they did a poor job labeling; if you rotate the image to put north on top, then the 63rd Street label would be upside down.

Your understanding of the graphic is ODOT's/engineer's fault, not yours! :)

/rant

Thanks, fellas!

jn1780
12-18-2016, 08:51 PM
I noticed that they have started staging equipment and information boards for the next phase of construction.

turnpup
12-19-2016, 07:28 AM
I noticed that they have started staging equipment and information boards for the next phase of construction.

And have started adding "phrase of the day" type messages, such as "Don't let your last words be in a text". To which my 9-year old daughter replied, "unless it's something really really good".

baralheia
12-28-2016, 01:43 PM
Message boards now saying that construction will begin Jan 2, 2017.

Anonymous.
01-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Tomorrow is the beginning of hell. They will begin placing concrete barriers in the morning.

turnpup
01-02-2017, 09:20 AM
Dreading.

bombermwc
01-03-2017, 07:06 AM
Wondering how exactly they plan on doing this phase without doing the next phase at the same time. Northbound 235 to Westbound 44 specifically. This phase rebuilds the bridges over 44 and takes out the current loops on the east side of the bridge. If the flyover for this traffic isnt coming until the next phase, are they just not going to have that open or what? Seems a bit nuts since i dont see how you can replace a bridge and still somehow magically connect to the loop.

warreng88
01-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Wondering how exactly they plan on doing this phase without doing the next phase at the same time. Northbound 235 to Westbound 44 specifically. This phase rebuilds the bridges over 44 and takes out the current loops on the east side of the bridge. If the flyover for this traffic isnt coming until the next phase, are they just not going to have that open or what? Seems a bit nuts since i dont see how you can replace a bridge and still somehow magically connect to the loop.

I would think they would do the north to eastbound ramp first, since it will have to be repositioned and the future north to west would be partially put in place, much like what is there now on the east to south bound ramp. Not sure about the north to west though. That is a head scratcher.

flyfisher07
01-03-2017, 09:30 AM

I don't believe this phase will rebuild the 235 bridges over 44, it will stop just north of 50th street. The next phase will rebuild the bridges over 44.

Boomer3791
01-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Does anyone know if they're planning on flipping the current rail/road configuration so that the BNSF line will be rebuilt to go UNDER the new I235? From the looks of the dirt work on the NW side of the 50th Street bridge and the railroad overpass, that seems like it's what they're building toward.

Brett
02-01-2017, 04:58 AM
Does anyone know if they're planning on flipping the current rail/road configuration so that the BNSF line will be rebuilt to go UNDER the new I235? From the looks of the dirt work on the NW side of the 50th Street bridge and the railroad overpass, that seems like it's what they're building toward.

Railroads aren't too keen on elevation changes. I believe that it is cheaper to build a bridge for a railway than a tunnel.

jn1780
02-01-2017, 06:52 AM

From what I heard, the plan is to prebuild the new railroad bridge and push it out over the interstate one weekend.

flyfisher07
02-01-2017, 07:07 AM

I believe the plans call for a new bridge to be located just to the NE of the existing bridge.

OkiePoke
02-01-2017, 08:29 AM
There is quite a hole where the old road from 50th to I-235 N used to be.

jn1780
02-03-2017, 03:02 PM
There is quite a hole where the old road from 50th to I-235 N used to be.

That's for a huge drainage structure.

turnpup
02-04-2017, 09:46 AM
Although slightly inconvenienced by this project, we have been fascinated by the sheer scope of all the work being done. It's kind of cool to see all the activity and different kinds of equipment out there.

When they start shutting down lanes and traffic is backed up all the way to downtown, somebody remind me what I said just now. :)

Laramie
02-04-2017, 03:27 PM
Although slightly inconvenienced by this project, we have been fascinated by the sheer scope of all the work being done. It's kind of cool to see all the activity and different kinds of equipment out there.

When they start shutting down lanes and traffic is backed up all the way to downtown, somebody remind me what I said just now. :)

Hey Turnpup, what's happening.

We'll all be in the same boat--stuck in quicksand traffic--something Citians will have to adapt. :omg::gossip::iagree:. Noticed the affects of the construction when enroute to an office on the east side of Broadway Extension 6600 last week; had to exit & re-enter several times before reaching my destination.

Wait until preparatory reaches heavy prime construction.

Already use an alternative route.

turnpup
02-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Already use an alternative route.

Yep, if things get really bad, we can use Western as the alternate route best for our trip. I already use it southbound on the way home after I drop the kiddo off at school. Better yet, maybe the worst part will be in the summertime when we don't have to take Broadway Extension at all!

Boomer3791
02-23-2017, 01:52 PM
Interesting article that describes how they're going to build the rail bridge and move it into place. http://constructionnews.acppubs.com/projects/latest-phase-of-oklahomas-i-235i-44-interchange-reconstruction-underway/

turnpup
02-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Interesting article that describes how they're going to build the rail bridge and move it into place. http://constructionnews.acppubs.com/projects/latest-phase-of-oklahomas-i-235i-44-interchange-reconstruction-underway/

Good read. Thanks!

David
02-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Yeah, that was really interesting.

LakeEffect
02-24-2017, 08:23 AM
"The largest single highway contract ever awarded by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) is causing significant traffic challenges in the heart of Oklahoma City..."

I drive this daily, and other than a few times when they've had it down to 1 lane, I can't say it feels that much more congested and annoying than it was before construction. Am I wrong?

turnpup
02-24-2017, 11:25 AM
"The largest single highway contract ever awarded by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) is causing significant traffic challenges in the heart of Oklahoma City..."

I drive this daily, and other than a few times when they've had it down to 1 lane, I can't say it feels that much more congested and annoying than it was before construction. Am I wrong?

That's been our experience as well. Going northbound, it's almost as though the construction slowdown before approaching the "curve of doom" has helped people to be better prepared to navigate through there and not suddenly slam on their brakes.

The southbound lanes are a little worse now that they've got the "no merge area" lanes between the I-44 junction and NW 36th. Still, it's not been too bad—yet.

gopokes88
02-24-2017, 11:39 AM
I don't know if it will ever get THAT bad as those who can avoid the area have been. I've noticed a lot more traffic on Classen lately.

Anonymous.
02-24-2017, 12:08 PM
The reason the traffic is less during construction than before is because people are actively avoiding the interchange.

One thing that will be a problem this spring is thunderstorms will pretty much instantly flood the low-lying area that was already prone to flooding near the rail bridge. This will cause I-235 to be dangerous during heavy rainfall and likely be shutdown for lengthy downpours.

Boomer3791
03-09-2017, 03:13 PM
I drive I44E to I235S daily during the week. It's getting really interesting seeing all the dirt that's being moved around the 50th st. / RR bridges. They're moving a HUGE amount of dirt off of the west (right-side for SB traffic on I235) of I235 between the I44 overpass and the 50th street bridge. It doesn't seem to make sense that this would be the path of the new roadway since it would create a big bend in the road for it to line up with the existing and/or planned roadway just to the north of this location. But I can't figure out what else it would be. Does anyone else know what the plan for this area is?

KayneMo
03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
^ From looking at this graphic, that will be part of the new roadway (north is to the right):
https://localtvkfor.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/construction1.png

Boomer3791
03-10-2017, 06:30 AM
This is interesting, because the new I44 to SBI-235 ramp that is already built doesn't align with this graphic. The ramp itself extends much further east than it appears in this drawing. If this is correct, that ramp will involve a new bridge over Deep Fork Creek and take the roadway much further toward the SW that it is now.

Laramie
03-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Latest Phase of Oklahoma’s I-235/I-44 Interchange Reconstruction Underway:

http://kwtv.images.worldnow.com/images/13757717_SA.jpg

With the beginning of the new year, this third phase of the I-235/I-44 project has now shifted to the reconstruction and widening of the interchange and bridges. I-235 will be widened to six lanes from North 36th Street to just north of North 50th Street. The North 50th Street bridge over the interstate, the BNSF railroad bridge, and a smaller bridge near North 50th Street will be rebuilt. The design firm on this three-year project was Benham Design LLC, and the contract was awarded in May 2016 to Allen Contracting Inc. of Oklahoma City. When completed, the project will alleviate congestion and safety issues by providing six dedicated traffic lanes as well as auxiliary lanes that will increase merging distance, to accommodate current and future traffic.

According to Angier, the remaining phases of the overall project should begin in 2019. “First up will be paving and widening from the end of this current project at 50th Street to 63rd Street, past the I-44 interchange,” she reports. “This will be followed by the flyover connecting northbound I-235 to westbound I-44, and eastbound I-44 to northbound Broadway Extension. Together these will cost about $75 million. The last phase, planned for 2020, will primarily be focused on wrapping up work in the northeast quadrant, at a cost of around $25 million.

https://www.ok.gov/odot/images/2016.05.02%20-%20Sequence%20with%20no%20years_web.jpg

Source: http://constructionnews.acppubs.com/projects/latest-phase-of-oklahomas-i-235i-44-interchange-reconstruction-underway/

Buffalo Bill
03-10-2017, 01:09 PM
This is interesting, because the new I44 to SBI-235 ramp that is already built doesn't align with this graphic. The ramp itself extends much further east than it appears in this drawing. If this is correct, that ramp will involve a new bridge over Deep Fork Creek and take the roadway much further toward the SW that it is now.

My guess is that potion of the existing ramp that is is asphalt will be removed and replaced and that is just a temporary connection. It is shown in green on the map.

tyeomans
03-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Random question, but what is the construction that begins on Monday along I-44? I see that there will be road closures starting then.

jn1780
03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
Random question, but what is the construction that begins on Monday along I-44? I see that there will be road closures starting then.

They are replacing the expansion joints on the Belle Isle bridge and other preventative maintenance work.

flyfisher07
04-11-2017, 08:39 PM
I see where they're finally starting to lay some concrete on the new northbound lanes. Anyone have an idea when they plan to have the first weekend closure to start removing the RR bridge?

jn1780
04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
I see where they're finally starting to lay some concrete on the new northbound lanes. Anyone have an idea when they plan to have the first weekend closure to start removing the RR bridge?

You will see them start removing 50th street bridge sometime this summer first. They have to build a new RR bridge first before they remove the old one.

tyeomans
04-18-2017, 01:58 PM
I was driving eastbound on I-44 this afternoon and saw a glimpse of the electronic board at the Western exit stating something regarding SB I-235 closing on 4/19/17. I barely caught it as I was driving by. Does anybody know what it says?

flyfisher07
04-18-2017, 07:12 PM
I was driving eastbound on I-44 this afternoon and saw a glimpse of the electronic board at the Western exit stating something regarding SB I-235 closing on 4/19/17. I barely caught it as I was driving by. Does anybody know what it says?

I haven't seen it, but my guess is that would be the alert for closing the I44 eastbound to southbound I235 ramp. ODOT is saying the ramp will be closed through the end of June.

StuckInTheCapitol825
04-19-2017, 08:50 AM
***Prepare now: I-44 ramp to southbound I-235 to close****

Motorists should start planning now for an alternate route with the upcoming closure of the eastbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235 near N. 50th St. as part of the ongoing I-235 widening and reconstruction project. The closure is expected to begin late next week and continue through June. Watch for more details in upcoming advisories. Motorists must locate an alternate route such as I-44 south to I-40; I-35 south to I-40 or Lincoln Blvd.

https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=31395

LakeEffect
04-19-2017, 12:16 PM
https://www.ok.gov/triton/modules/newsroom/newsroom_article.php?id=277&article_id=31395

"Motorists must locate an alternate route..." Maybe I'm stretching it, but I feel like Oklahoma is the only state I've been in that doesn't help travelers with identified alternate routes during big highway closures...

LakeEffect
04-19-2017, 12:17 PM

That's what it said - but today it's switched to saying 4/26.

Buffalo Bill
04-19-2017, 01:15 PM
"Motorists must locate an alternate route..." Maybe I'm stretching it, but I feel like Oklahoma is the only state I've been in that doesn't help travelers with identified alternate routes during big highway closures...

Or one could merely read the rest of the bulletin, "alternate route such as I-44 south to I-40; I-35 south to I-40 or Lincoln Blvd." Or click on the hyperlink in the bulletin:

https://www.ok.gov/odot/OFF_Broadway_and_I-235.html

Where there are maps and instructions, such as: "Suggested routes to help avoid traffic congestion include I-35 to the east and I-44 and SH-74 (Lake Hefner Parkway) to the west.
The City of Oklahoma City recommends using N. Classen Blvd. and N. Martin Luther King Ave. for north-south travel and N.E. 36th St., N.E. 23rd St. and E. Reno Ave. for east-west travel into and out of downtown Oklahoma City.
Motorists who need to access the state Capitol area may use Lincoln Blvd."

Perhaps all of this just doesn't fit on a portable message sign.

tyeomans
04-19-2017, 01:22 PM

You also have to take into consideration that people are driving by going 60+ mph. They have to get the message across to as many people as possible, so the same message has to recycle every few seconds.

LakeEffect
04-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Or one could merely read the rest of the bulletin, "alternate route such as I-44 south to I-40; I-35 south to I-40 or Lincoln Blvd." Or click on the hyperlink in the bulletin:

Where there are maps and instructions, such as: "Suggested routes to help avoid traffic congestion include I-35 to the east and I-44 and SH-74 (Lake Hefner Parkway) to the west.
The City of Oklahoma City recommends using N. Classen Blvd. and N. Martin Luther King Ave. for north-south travel and N.E. 36th St., N.E. 23rd St. and E. Reno Ave. for east-west travel into and out of downtown Oklahoma City.

How many tourists, truck drivers, and regular travelers read that bulletin? Likely very, very few.

Plutonic Panda
04-19-2017, 04:12 PM

Perhaps all of this just doesn't fit on a portable message sign.In many other states that actually know what they're doing, they won't just tell someone on a sign to go to another freeway.

They'll have actual detour routes with multiple signs along the way reaffirming the detour route. Is ODOT doing that or are they expecting people to pull up their phones or automatically know where these other freeways are?

jn1780
04-19-2017, 07:37 PM
They started demolishing the westbound side of the 50th street bridge.

OklahomaNick
04-19-2017, 11:12 PM
They started demolishing the westbound side of the 50th street bridge.

Any idea how long here will not be a bridge on 50th Street?

Snowman
04-20-2017, 12:42 AM
Any idea how long here will not be a bridge on 50th Street?

50th westbound and eastbound seem to be separate bridges just very close together with a cap over the gap, last few weeks they have shifted both directions onto the eastbound bridge, not sure if 50th will remain open throughout the entirety of the project though.

bombermwc
04-20-2017, 03:01 PM
That's what it said - but today it's switched to saying 4/26.

I dont understand why they are doing this. It's eastbound I-44 to Southboung 235 that's closing. That's one of the newer ramp sections already so i dont get why they are closing it down. Any thoughts? It's two months, so they can't really accomplish that much in 2 months.

Anonymous.
04-20-2017, 03:03 PM
That currently used ramp has always been temporary. You really think they were going to go with a random asphalt ramp that is connected by concrete on both ends?

jn1780
04-20-2017, 03:27 PM
South bound will be shifting to the west this summer so they need to build a temporary connection to the new alignment they are currently working. The ramp is right there where it will cross over to the new alignment so this is why it is closing now. The permanent ramp will open when everything is shifted to the west.

About 60 percent of that ramp is permanent. Its just the final connection that is temporary because it will actually go further west before it connects to the new southbound 235.

Anonymous.
04-20-2017, 03:39 PM
^Yes, everything not concrete is temporary. The entire final project will be concrete when done.

Plutonic Panda
05-10-2017, 03:59 PM
It appears this project is coming to a halt. No more work will be done on demoing the 50th St. bridge until the budget issue is fixed and sod might placed around this as this thing might be stalled for awhile. Ugh!

jn1780
05-10-2017, 04:15 PM
It appears this project is coming to a halt. No more work will be done on demoing the 50th St. bridge until the budget issue is fixed and sod might placed around this as this thing might be stalled for awhile. Ugh!

Is this just your observation or did you hear it somewhere? I haven't seen any kind of news article about the I-235 project coming to a halt.

Plutonic Panda
05-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Someone had posted about it in AAROADS forum that they had heard directly from an OkDOT official.

flyfisher07
05-10-2017, 05:55 PM
It's possible, but i find it hard to believe. The only remaining sections they have left to demo will require I235 or the rail line to be stopped while the demo is ongoing (or they could narrow I235 to one lane in each direction and do one side then the other). And demo certainly isn't the most expensive thing of the bid package....if ODOT really wanted the contractor to stop and save money on the May invoice they wouldn't have paved the I44 E to I235 S ramp just the other day. Also, I have a hard time believing ODOT would expend the funds to put sod down before knowing the exact extent of the budget situation. Regardless, we will know one way or another in a couple weeks.

ChaseDweller
05-11-2017, 09:29 AM
What I read was that future phases the I-240/I-35 project were being delayed due to budget issues. This one is already under contract. I can't imagine they could stop the current phase without incurring huge liability.

OklahomaNick
05-15-2017, 01:44 PM
It doesnt appear that this project has been put on hold mid-construction. Work being done on site!
The part of the 50th street bridge NOT demoed is over the railroad and that makes sense because its an active track!

Plutonic Panda
05-15-2017, 01:47 PM
I'm sure work would continue for a month or so but nerveless, I'm glad to hear it's moving along.

Pete
05-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Well, this should be fun:

Press Releases
Friday, May 19, 2017

It's showtime: I-235 closes for five days in June

Off Broadway 44

In a twist to the original script, I-235 will be fully closed to traffic at the I-44 interchange for about five days in June, weather permitting. The extended closure is designed to eliminate some future traffic headaches for drivers. The nearly 100,000 motorists who use this corridor daily are urged to plan their alternate routes now.

Motorists are advised to use alternate routes such as I-35, SH-74 (Lake Hefner Parkway) to I-44, I-40 or use Lincoln Blvd. for those accessing the state Capitol area.

I-235 closures are planned for the three-year, $88 million contract to widen and reconstruct the interstate between N. 36th Street and N. 50th Street. The closures are necessary for traffic safety while work occurs above the interstate, and the contract projects up to six weekend closures during the three years of construction.

However, the contractor has proposed this first I-235 closure between I-44 and N. 36th St. be extended for five consecutive days to accomplish several objectives with the payoff for motorists being the elimination of 20 days of single lane traffic in each direction, which was part of the original design plan.

“The department is working hard to keep closures to a minimum, however, some closures are necessary for safety,” said Terri Angier, ODOT spokeswoman. “Additionally, the adjustments are designed to help minimize future closures. We believe this solution will greatly benefit motorists who travel I-235 this summer by keeping two lanes of travel open in each direction as much as possible after this first closure.”

I-235 is tentatively scheduled to close between I-44 and N. 36th St. at 8 p.m. Friday, June 2, and reopen by 8 p.m. Wednesday, June 7, depending on weather and other factors. If the contractor takes advantage of more than $500,000 in financial incentives offered by the department, I-235 could open as earlier Wednesday, June 7.

The following construction tasks, among others, are planned for this first full closure:

Reopening the eastbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235 when the interstate reopens June 7;
Removal of the remaining N. 50th St. bridge spans and piers, which likely will result in higher levels of noise for up to two nights while crews jackhammer the piers for removal; and
Completion of temporary southbound and northbound traffic lanes in preparation for a lane shift that will be in place when the interstate reopens June 7.
Future I-235 closures will include work to remove the BNSF railroad bridge near N. 50th St. and sliding the completed new railroad bridge back into place once it’s built on site, which is anticipated to occur early next year.

This is the single largest dollar amount project awarded in ODOT history. It was awarded in May 2016 and began with a resurfacing project in August 2016 to help prepare the pavement for three years of construction. Work on this three-year contract began Jan. 2 with expected completion by 2020.

Here’s how to keep up with daily lane closure notifications:

Drivers can sign up for email alerts at www.odot.org under News & Alerts;
Follow @OKDOT on Twitter and Facebook; and
Real-time travel conditions may be found at www.oktraffic.org
Learn more about the I-235 construction project at https://www.ok.gov/odot/OFF_Broadway_and_I-235.html

Pete
05-19-2017, 12:12 PM
This will be OKC's version of L.A.'s Carmageddon when the 405 was closed for a full weekend.

Of course this isn't Los Angeles but this will also affect several regular business days.