View Full Version : OKC and the U.S. Bicycle Route System

Platemaker
12-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Have you seen...?

The United States Bicycle Route Plan - August 2010

http://adventurecycling.org/routes/nbrn/USBRSCorridorMap.pdf

Kerry
12-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I guess with our debt, this is as close as we will come to high speed rail.

demoman2k10
12-28-2010, 01:43 PM
OKC is one of the LEAST friendly Bicycle Cities I've ever lived in.

OKCTalker
12-28-2010, 02:32 PM
OKC is one of the LEAST friendly Bicycle Cities I've ever lived in.

Not just OKC. Debra Miller was killed riding her bike outside of Stillwater on August 15, 2010. Earlier this month the motorist - James Michael Hazzard, age 19 of Edmond - was ordered to pay $20,000 in restitution to the victim's family, $1,300 in court costs, attend two classes and give 100 community service hours. How would your loved ones feel if YOU were killed by someone else, and this is what was ordered by the court?

demoman2k10
12-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Sounds like it very well may be time to start Suing the Cities and Counties for not providing adequate shoulders or lanes for Bikes and sidewalks for pedestrians.

Kerry
12-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Not just OKC. Debra Miller was killed riding her bike outside of Stillwater on August 15, 2010. Earlier this month the motorist - James Michael Hazzard, age 19 of Edmond - was ordered to pay $20,000 in restitution to the victim's family, $1,300 in court costs, attend two classes and give 100 community service hours. How would your loved ones feel if YOU were killed by someone else, and this is what was ordered by the court?

If it was an accident (don't know any details about this case) I would be more upset about losing my loved one than punishing someone else involved in the accident. This is why we carry life insurance.

Rover
12-28-2010, 04:22 PM

It is impossible to know whether this was a fair judgement or not without knowing all the details of the case. To imply something one way or the other without the details as presented the court would just be irresponsible.

OKCTalker
12-29-2010, 07:33 AM
I know the details. Hazzard claimed that the sun was in his eyes and looked away from the road as he reached for his sunglasses. He strayed onto the shoulder and struck Miller and another cyclist. Miller was transported by helicopter to OKC where she was pronounced dead.

One sidelight: The cyclists were riding eastbound on the Hwy 51 shoulder towards westbound vehicular traffic because the eastbound shoulder was unavailable, I believe due to road construction. The surviving cyclist said that they saw Hazzard coming at them, but they were struck while trying to bail out onto the grass.