View Full Version : OHP uses YouTube to nap OKC dimwit who posted speeding video

Pages : [1] 2

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 09:50 AM
NewsOK.... http://www.newsok.com/troopers-use-youtube-to-catch-oklahoma-city-speeder/article/3525989?custom_click=lead_story_photo

You can see one of the videos here.... http://www.twitvid.com/MYJUJ

Question: The video doesn't show the date and/or time or the speedometer. For the lawyers in the room... can he simply refuse to tell them when the video was taken and say his posting of 195mph was just bravado? I guess speed doesn't matter on a reckless driving charge, but I assume there is a statute of limitations and they'll need to prove it occurred within the limitation if he claims it happened outside of the limitation?

Either way, he's pretty much an idiot and put lots of lives in danger.

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Pikepass logs? Video forensics? He's going to be throwing away money if he attempts to fight it unless the state just doesn't want to spend the resources.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 10:39 AM
What good are PikePass logs? He probably uses PikePass all the time and without a date and time they won't know which one the one where he was speeding. It doesn't read your speed does it? They also don't know how long ago the video was taken - unless there are some landmarks that could help establish a timeline. I've been reading some articles online where police rarely go after these types of crimes - mostly only violent criminals or burglars or vandals are pursued via online video posting. The web is littered with videos of people speeding, mutual fighting etc.

skyrick
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
What good are PikePass logs? He probably uses PikePass all the time and without a date and time they won't know which one the one where he was speeding. It doesn't read your speed does it? They also don't know how long ago the video was taken - unless there are some landmarks that could help establish a timeline. I've been reading some articles online where police rarely go after these types of crimes - mostly only violent criminals or burglars or vandals are pursued via online video posting. The web is littered with videos of people speeding, mutual fighting etc.

PikePass logs would show the time interval between two different toll plazas. The average speed would be simple to extrapolate.

The guy is an idiot but that motor sounds epic! I think I heard a supercharger's whine when he decelerated.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 10:44 AM
PikePass logs would show the time interval between two different toll plazas. The average speed would be simple to extrapolate.

Ahhh, hadn't thought of that. Didn't watch the video close enough to see if he passed two readers or not. Kinda thinking he didn't though.

CuatrodeMayo
12-23-2010, 11:07 AM

The guy is an idiot but that motor sounds epic! I think I heard a supercharger's whine when he decelerated.

You can hear the tires breaking loose on the on-ramp...

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 11:57 AM
It would help if he had a pikepass but without it, if they can read tag numbers on other vehicles they can check with those owners directly about when they drove that stretch or indirectly by pulling pikepass logs on those vehicles.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Question: isn't this just a misdemeanor charge? Isn't there a sticky point with making an arrest regarding a misdemeanor committed not in the presence of the officer if there is no complainant?

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 12:12 PM
My understanding is there was someone who pointed it out the the OHP.

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 12:16 PM
Also, if you haven't noticed, and I'm sure you have, we have video cameras on a lot of the interstates, so if they nailed down the time and place and it was within a fairly recent time they probably have their own videos of it on a DVR somewhere. Eye in the sky...

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 12:23 PM
My understanding is there was someone who pointed it out the the OHP.

An email is far from being a signed valid complaining party. I think unless they can charge him with a felony or get him to just admit to everything, this case is defendable.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Example: if you witness some committing a misdemeanor pedestrian violation, if police do not see it then they won't even let you sign a ticket against the person.

FRISKY
12-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Allegedly, the guy was trying to sell his car and had the videos and phone number posted on his Ebay advertisement. The police apparently ran a sting operation and have him on film talking about the incidents.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Allegedly, the guy was trying to sell his car and had the videos and phone number posted on his Ebay advertisement. The police apparently ran a sting operation and have him on film talking about the incidents.

Any $2 lawyer could have those conversations tossed or deemed ineffective to a jury.

PennyQuilts
12-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Any $2 lawyer could have those conversations tossed or deemed ineffective to a jury.

How's that?

PennyQuilts
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
They can also check his time by measuring how long it takes to travel between landmarks to support the confession.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 02:08 PM
How's that?

If they couldn't get the conversations tossed then it wouldn't take much to convince a jury he could have easily been "puffing his wares" when he boasted about the speed he was going.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 02:14 PM
They can also check his time by measuring how long it takes to travel between landmarks to support the confession.

Which would be very difficult unless the police can seize the camera and know exactly what the lens was set at. Also, at that angle it is difficult to establish EXACTLY when the car passes a particular landmark.

I had a speeding ticket tossed years ago based on the logic you propose. I was doing about 100MPH on I-35 when a police plane said they timed me from one mile marker to the next to establish my speed and then called for a ground unit to pull me over. Went to court with my attorney and they had to toss the cops math estimation of my speed. Without that they had nothing and the charge was dismissed.

PennyQuilts
12-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Which would be very difficult unless the police can seize the camera and know exactly what the lens was set at. Also, at that angle it is difficult to establish EXACTLY when the car passes a particular landmark.

I had a speeding ticket tossed years ago based on the logic you propose. I was doing about 100MPH on I-35 when a police plane said they timed me from one mile marker to the next to establish my speed and then called for a ground unit to pull me over. Went to court with my attorney and they had to toss the cops math estimation of my speed. Without that they had nothing and the charge was dismissed.

Had you given them a confession? I was just looking for something that would credibly support that.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Had you given them a confession? I was just looking for something that would credibly support that.

I admitted "I was probably going too fast." That statement was not allowed as evidence as it didn't establish any facts.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I still hold to my guess this was an illegal arrest if it was for a misdemeanor crime not witnessed by police. It would seem the proper thing to do was get an arrest warrant first.

OHP will probably claim they contacted the driver as part of an investigation and that then he told them enough to support arresting him.

Even months ago when the guy at Grand Lake allegedly drove his boat into another boat and killed a man, the OHP went to his home and questioned him, but would not arrest him until they had a warrant.

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Are you sure they didn't do that?

PennyQuilts
12-23-2010, 02:49 PM
I'm no criminal defense lawyer so don't rely on me. That stuff is way over my head.

BBatesokc
12-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Are you sure they didn't do that?

Its possible, but I doubt that would have been left out of the story. Also, no charges at the time of arrest would indicate no warrant.

Double Edge
12-23-2010, 07:52 PM
The Oklahoma County District Attorney's Office was equally concerned and aided in obtaining arrest warrants, West said.

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2010/12/23/5212085.htm

BBatesokc
12-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Good find. Leave it to the Edmond Sun to actually include important information and the Daily Oklahoman to omit it - sad reality.

What obviously then happened (and was omitted from the Daily Disappointment) is that OHP met with the driver first, he spilled his guts, OHP turned over their findings and then the county filed the charge and he was later arrested.

If he told the OHP everything (thinking he was taking himself out of trouble), then he might as well save himself some money and take a plea and pay a fine.

bretthexum
12-25-2010, 03:03 PM

Not to change the subject - but why do people do this? Why can't you just man up and pay the fine instead of wasting the courts time?

Thunder
12-25-2010, 03:35 PM
This is stupid. The police (or OHP in this case) can't really arrest this guy. They were not there to actually witness the speed thrill. Arresting with only the video posted online is really stupid. The guy could have enhanced the video with fast-forward speed to make it appear faster. Really... And people would say anything to brag, which is what I believe was the case when this guy was speaking to an undercover trooper.

BBatesokc
12-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Not to change the subject - but why do people do this? Why can't you just man up and pay the fine instead of wasting the courts time?

Nice try. Let me guess, whenever you speed, float through a stop sign etc., you just make out a check and go ahead and send it in.... cuz you're such 'the man.' Oh, wait, no, you think you need to get caught first then 'man up.'

ljbab728
12-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Nice try. Let me guess, whenever you speed, float through a stop sign etc., you just make out a check and go ahead and send it in.... cuz you're such 'the man.' Oh, wait, no, you think you need to get caught first then 'man up.'

Brian, whatever your excuse is, if you're doing 100 on the interstate, you're a danger to the public. There is nothing that can justify that short of a life saving emergency. Just because you were able to get out of the ticket doesn't make it OK and I hope it at least made you think a little before trying that again.

Thunder
12-25-2010, 11:43 PM
Brian, whatever your excuse is, if you're doing 100 on the interstate, you're a danger to the public. There is nothing that can justify that short of a life saving emergency. Just because you were able to get out of the ticket doesn't make it OK and I hope it at least made you think a little before trying that again.

True. Better late than never, Brian. Driving that fast bring a much higher risk of a tire to blow out. We all know what will happen when a tire blows. Even though the automakers put in 100+ mph numbers on the odometers does not mean you can reach those numbers. I never understood why automakers are allowed to continue doing that and promoting how fast their products can go. It almost seem like the automakers encourage this kind of thrill to the public.

Also, there are a device, relatively inexpensive, that can be installed to prevent going past any given set of mph (70 for example), so no matter how hard the petal is pressed, the speed will not go any faster. A great investment to prevent a loss of life in case of emotional driving or simply in a rush to avoid being late.

Brian, did you get a tip of a public sex gone wild and you were simply trying to catch it on video in time? :-)

BBatesokc
12-26-2010, 06:19 AM

Yes, the guilt has just been unbearable - I just don't know how I've made it from 20 years old to now knowing I was speeding in my new 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe. Get over it. FYI - I was doing 85-90 from my home to Shawnee on 240 yesterday, better call the OHP and tell them I've just admitted to everything on OKCtalk.

PennyQuilts
12-26-2010, 08:11 AM
If someone is trying to prove a point by bragging that they've engaged in reckless driving, the only thing they've demonstrated is that they are more concerned about ego than the safety of others.

Speaking as someone who lost a teenaged sister due to a careless driver.

Joe Daddy
12-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Speaking as someone who lost a teenaged sister due to a careless driver.

I'm so very sorry to learn that Penny. You never forget the sensless loss of a young life, no matter how much time passes.

PennyQuilts
12-26-2010, 08:31 AM
I'm so very sorry to learn that Penny. You never forget the sensless loss of a young life, no matter how much time passes.

Thanks, Joe Daddy. It was a long time ago but I miss her, everyday. It nearly killed my mother. The driver was actually a fine young man who made a mistake and never got over it. He ended his own life on the anniversary of the wreck thirty-five years later. I wouldn't wish that guilt on anyone. To see people carelessly bandy about deliberately irresponsible behavior that could have such devasting consequences on others, well, not much you can say.

BBatesokc
12-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Then you must get bent out of shape at virtually every driver, seeing how speed accounts for only 30% of fatal crashes, I hope you're wagging that finger at everyone who doesn't wear a seat belt, drives in bad weather, drives at night, etc. as they make up the bulk of fatalities. Yes, its obviously tragic to you, but I wasn't bragging - I was using a fact to show your then assertion might not hold up in court. Just because your bias to my post doesn't make it bragging or anything else.

MustangGT
12-26-2010, 10:06 AM
This is stupid. The police (or OHP in this case) can't really arrest this guy. They were not there to actually witness the speed thrill. Arresting with only the video posted online is really stupid. The guy could have enhanced the video with fast-forward speed to make it appear faster. Really... And people would say anything to brag, which is what I believe was the case when this guy was speaking to an undercover trooper.

Your expertise in so many different areas amazes me. NOT. This is not the first time some scoflaw has posted stupid videos of themselves and gotten arrested and it won't be the last.

PennyQuilts
12-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Then you must get bent out of shape at virtually every driver, seeing how speed accounts for only 30% of fatal crashes, I hope you're wagging that finger at everyone who doesn't wear a seat belt, drives in bad weather, drives at night, etc. as they make up the bulk of fatalities. Yes, its obviously tragic to you, but I wasn't bragging - I was using a fact to show your then assertion might not hold up in court. Just because your bias to my post doesn't make it bragging or anything else.

Yes, the guilt has just been unbearable - I just don't know how I've made it from 20 years old to now knowing I was speeding in my new 1990 Thunderbird Super Coupe. Get over it. FYI - I was doing 85-90 from my home to Shawnee on 240 yesterday, better call the OHP and tell them I've just admitted to everything on OKCtalk.

At best, you're being a completely thoughtless and self centered human being. I suspect you don't give a flip so there is no point pointing that out, I guess.

Thunder
12-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Your expertise in so many different areas amazes me. NOT. This is not the first time some scoflaw has posted stupid videos of themselves and gotten arrested and it won't be the last.

I can make a video driving and then edit the video to make it look like a speed thrill. Post it online with date and location. Set up a person to report the video. Get arrested. Then I can sue on some grounds with evidence in court that the video was enhanced. :-) You should know better than that.

MustangGT
12-26-2010, 11:54 AM
I can make a video driving and then edit the video to make it look like a speed thrill. Post it online with date and location. Set up a person to report the video. Get arrested. Then I can sue on some grounds with evidence in court that the video was enhanced. :-) You should know better than that.

True but only partially. The time/date stamp would be off, sound would be distorted. Data/Video reconstruction has advanced way beyond the simpleton acts you propose. When it comes to altering video I serous doubt anybody here has the technology or ability to do it and not make it determineable that video was altered. Falsifying a video is possible getting away with it when you consider all the tools the "G"has in not likely.

bretthexum
12-26-2010, 02:39 PM

That's kind of my point. No reason to be driving that fast period.

bretthexum
12-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Yes, I have paid every traffic ticket I've received.

SkyWestOKC
12-26-2010, 02:53 PM
He means, everytime you break the law while driving, send a check in the mail regardless if you are caught.

bornhere
12-26-2010, 03:58 PM
I don't know what the fine is for 195 in a 70, but I imagine it's pretty steep.

And there are other possible downsides.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-wdMes7xMs

I seem to recall the Replogle family being fairly prominent here at one time. Like during the 80s oil boom, maybe.

bretthexum
12-26-2010, 04:05 PM
He means, everytime you break the law while driving, send a check in the mail regardless if you are caught.

Yeah I know.... just wears me out that he uses that argument. It's not even the same thing. Whatever. 100 mph will usually get you a reckless driving ticket as well.

kevinpate
12-26-2010, 04:49 PM

Well laddie, you could certainly try. But, if you would permit me a suggestion, there are far better ways to amuse yourself.

ljbab728
12-26-2010, 10:36 PM
At best, you're being a completely thoughtless and self centered human being. I suspect you don't give a flip so there is no point pointing that out, I guess.

I totally agree PQ. That Brian can be so flippant about driving recklessly over the speed limit, has to speak to his mindset. Stating that speeding is not the major cause of traffic accidents does absolutely nothing to make it acceptible.

Thunder
12-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Well... Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. There is nothing we can do to prevent Brian's reckless action. His job, catching people in natural acts (sex), is very important to him. If he feels that speeding and endangering precious lives is worth the amount of fame and money he gets for filming...then so be it. One day something will happen and he will learn the hard way. What we can do is to buckle ourselves safely and be on alert of our surroundings at all time. When we see a speeding car from behind, move out of the lane and slow down, so the speeder can pass by quickly and put yourselves out of danger.

Brian, you may think this is funny and harmless, but remember this... Almost everyone had gone through that mindset of "nothing is going to happen to me" and then tragedy strikes. I know you have the special treatment from the law enforcement by being able to freely brag about your speed thrills, but the cost of that will be someone's life cut short. Do not wait for that event to take place in order to wake you up.

FRISKY
12-26-2010, 11:50 PM
"Speed Kills!!!"
Just one of many lies...

Sometimes numbers lie. But we keep them around because they tell the truth more often than not. The NHTSA undertook a two-and-a-half year study that examined 5,471 injury accidents nationwide in order to figure out how accidents were being caused. Government researchers conducted their own evidence gathering at crash sites in order to establish a first-hand account of causation. What did they find? Among other things, that more drivers crashed as a result of crossing the center line (11%) than as a result of speeding (5%). Speeding, in this case, defined by "too fast for conditions," not necessarily above the posted limit.

In accidents where driver error was the cause, speeding also came in last as a causative: the 8% who drove too fast were tied with the 8% who fell asleep or had heart attacks while driving. What's more, the NHTSA's causation percentages are strikingly similar to the percentages found in an independent study conducted by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. In its study of crashes in 2007, the VDoT found that 2.9% were due to speeding -- dead last -- while 3.8%t were due to drivers falling asleep or falling ill at the tiller.

What will this mean to the politicians setting and revising speed limits based on the "Speed Kills!" mantra? Probably nothing. But it's nice to know, and nice to have the government researched numbers to back it up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/18/us-dot-report-confirms-speed-not-major-cause-of-accidents/

ljbab728
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
"Speed Kills!!!"
Just one of many lies...

Sometimes numbers lie. But we keep them around because they tell the truth more often than not. The NHTSA undertook a two-and-a-half year study that examined 5,471 injury accidents nationwide in order to figure out how accidents were being caused. Government researchers conducted their own evidence gathering at crash sites in order to establish a first-hand account of causation. What did they find? Among other things, that more drivers crashed as a result of crossing the center line (11%) than as a result of speeding (5%). Speeding, in this case, defined by "too fast for conditions," not necessarily above the posted limit.

In accidents where driver error was the cause, speeding also came in last as a causative: the 8% who drove too fast were tied with the 8% who fell asleep or had heart attacks while driving. What's more, the NHTSA's causation percentages are strikingly similar to the percentages found in an independent study conducted by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles. In its study of crashes in 2007, the VDoT found that 2.9% were due to speeding -- dead last -- while 3.8%t were due to drivers falling asleep or falling ill at the tiller.

What will this mean to the politicians setting and revising speed limits based on the "Speed Kills!" mantra? Probably nothing. But it's nice to know, and nice to have the government researched numbers to back it up.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/18/us-dot-report-confirms-speed-not-major-cause-of-accidents/

Interesting statistics, but still does nothing to justify anyone who speeds.

FRISKY
12-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Interesting statistics, but still does nothing to justify anyone who speeds.I guess I missed that part in what I posted. Where did you see that statement?

Spartan
12-27-2010, 12:55 AM
People speed dozens of times a day and live to tell the tale, if they even noticed at all. Slow drivers kill more people than speeding drivers, too.

Lack of speed kills? No. Accidents happen, and it sucks. I hate when I see it happen. But Okies need to get over the "speed kills" thing because actually it's slow, confused, dumb Okie driving that kills.

BBatesokc
12-27-2010, 06:08 AM
God, I love how easy this hornets nest is to shake.

PennyQuilts
12-27-2010, 08:48 AM
People speed dozens of times a day and live to tell the tale, if they even noticed at all. Slow drivers kill more people than speeding drivers, too.

Lack of speed kills? No. Accidents happen, and it sucks. I hate when I see it happen. But Okies need to get over the "speed kills" thing because actually it's slow, confused, dumb Okie driving that kills.

That is your impression. For the sake of argument, let's say that slow kills. Your post is somehow extrapolating that since slow kills, fast doesn't. You know that isn't true. Why in the world would you go out of your way to discount too much speed simply because you dislike slow drivers (or think they cause more wrecks?). I should think that even if you are correct that slow kills more than fast, you'd write - "And not only that, but slow kills, too!!"

As for the "dumb okie," are you suggesting this doesn't happen other places? All that was is a slam on Oklahoma. Bad drivers are bad drivers and unless you can point to something in Oklahoma that makes them all the more likely to drive like that, you come across as small minded.

You haven't seen lousy drivers until you have been back east where teenagers don't even drive until they are 18 and even then, are too scared to get behind the wheel. Or Florida with the high elderly population. Any while many of the Mexicans in Oklahoma do okay, in places with high immigrant populations from El Salvador and Guatamala, those people drive like maniacs. They don't even notice the lines in the road and god forbid they have to get through a crowded four way stop.

bretthexum
12-27-2010, 10:05 AM

I think it's more of the speed difference that kills. How would you like to be doing 70 mph and come up on someone doing 40? Dangerous. Just like doing 100 when everyone else is doing 70.

TheTravellers
12-27-2010, 10:15 AM
That is your impression. For the sake of argument, let's say that slow kills. Your post is somehow extrapolating that since slow kills, fast doesn't. You know that isn't true. Why in the world would you go out of your way to discount too much speed simply because you dislike slow drivers (or think they cause more wrecks?). I should think that even if you are correct that slow kills more than fast, you'd write - "And not only that, but slow kills, too!!"

As for the "dumb okie," are you suggesting this doesn't happen other places? All that was is a slam on Oklahoma. Bad drivers are bad drivers and unless you can point to something in Oklahoma that makes them all the more likely to drive like that, you come across as small minded.

You haven't seen lousy drivers until you have been back east where teenagers don't even drive until they are 18 and even then, are too scared to get behind the wheel. Or Florida with the high elderly population. Any while many of the Mexicans in Oklahoma do okay, in places with high immigrant populations from El Salvador and Guatamala, those people drive like maniacs. They don't even notice the lines in the road and god forbid they have to get through a crowded four way stop.

Actually, I think it's more likely that differences in speed kills.

And I have to back up Spartan's statement about Okie drivers being slow. As a disclaimer - there are bad drivers all over, but certain areas have certain general characteristics (Chicago does have aggressive drivers, Washington has randomly weird drivers, OK has slow drivers, etc.). I've driven in the Chicago metro area, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, New Mexico, Texas, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. Maybe a few other places. :-) I've never seen drivers as slow off the stop sign/traffic signal and as slow to get up to the speed limit as OKC drivers (with no traffic in front of you, there is no reason to take a mile to get up to 45 MPH). I've also never seen more people go 5-10 MPH *under* the speed limit as consistently and en masse as OKC drivers.

We can have this argument over and over and nobody will come away convinced of the other side's argument(s), so just posting my own personal anecdotes and observations...

FRISKY
12-27-2010, 11:06 AM
God, I love how easy this hornets nest is to shake.Yep, apparently you can raise quite a fervor by discussing religion, politics or...............speeding!

Thunder
12-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Yep, apparently you can raise quite a fervor by discussing religion, politics or...............speeding!

Don't forget about the filming real humans engaging in real natural sex. :LolLolLol

ljbab728
12-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Actually, I think it's more likely that differences in speed kills.

And I have to back up Spartan's statement about Okie drivers being slow. As a disclaimer - there are bad drivers all over, but certain areas have certain general characteristics (Chicago does have aggressive drivers, Washington has randomly weird drivers, OK has slow drivers, etc.). I've driven in the Chicago metro area, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, New Mexico, Texas, Wyoming, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, and Arkansas. Maybe a few other places. :-) I've never seen drivers as slow off the stop sign/traffic signal and as slow to get up to the speed limit as OKC drivers (with no traffic in front of you, there is no reason to take a mile to get up to 45 MPH). I've also never seen more people go 5-10 MPH *under* the speed limit as consistently and en masse as OKC drivers.

We can have this argument over and over and nobody will come away convinced of the other side's argument(s), so just posting my own personal anecdotes and observations...

Yes, you and I have had the speed limit debate before and you never convinced of your side.

ljbab728
12-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I guess I missed that part in what I posted. Where did you see that statement?

When you're downplaying any aspect of someone who speeds when they drive that is basically the point you're conveying to people even if it isn't what you meant.