View Full Version : Auto

Thunder
12-20-2010, 01:40 PM
(Having an Auto section is a great idea to add on here, Pete.)

Okay, what good places do we have for auto parts, modifications, and accessories (beside online) for autos dating the mid 90s on backward?

I have noticed that major automakers do not have any archives of complete info and pictures on their past (discontinued) vehicles. Is there a web site listing complete info, details, specs, and pictures (exterior and interior) on all past vehicles?

What year did automakers changed from metal/iron to plastic?

Now moving onto my Christmas gift, which I am receiving from a customer. I am getting a '95 Nissan Truck XE- V6 Extended Cab. Very surprising that Google do not bring up "stock" photos that Nissan have used in the past when showcasing the truck at the time. All I can find is pictures of used trucks randomly.

This will be a hobby to fix it up (will see the truck soon). I have read reviews and only seem to have major recalls involving the speedometer (tend to stop working) and the frame (severe rust). My priority is having a speedometer replacement handy, and I am hoping one will be easy to find (not just a standard stock speedometer, but a nice design). Other concern is the frame. Can this easily be replaced? Or at least be repaired, if needed? Is this a widespread problem or isolated few?

I'll be back with more. :-)

Update - They brought the truck to me today, so I can look at it and take pictures. The guy want to do something first to make sure it is safe before giving it to me. Everything looks just fine. I'd like a new center piece armrest (in between the seats). It is a bit too low, so anyone know where I can find one to replace?

Thunder
12-25-2010, 03:21 PM
Need recommendations on complete body makeover. I want some dents fixed and complete new paint. I also want the same place to also be capable of adding design on and I want blue flames.

kevinpate
12-26-2010, 02:18 AM
Need recommendations on complete body makeover. I want some dents fixed and complete new paint. I also want the same place to also be capable of adding design on and I want blue flames.

Thunder, if you don't mind getting outside the metro, I know a chap in Goldsby, a wee bit south of Norman, who does paint, body, and mechanical work. You may not want to go that far out, but if you do, his place is called Full Circle Auto. I haven't needed them recently, but Jonathan and Phillip have done a few different projects for me.

Thunder
12-28-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks, Kevin, I have the info saved.

Does anyone have any experience with Maaco? I heard that they do a real cheap job with cheap paint

A quote from a friend.

There is no question "you get what you pay for" when it comes to body work and paint. Cheap paint jobs typically look like crap in the first place. Trash in the paint, orange peal, dull finishes, runs, etc. They also are not adhered properly and will chip and flake really bad. I knew a guy that had a cheapo paint job and was so proud of it until he went to the carwash and washed a bug off the front of the hood and the paint on the entire hood turned loose, flew off and shattered against the windshield.

So, I am going to be looking up reviews on them. Just would like a bit of a personal experience from anyone here. And if Maaco improved since then or the same.

Brandon_sharp
12-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Gross... Maaco. Give Charles at CD designs a call. 405-514-3004.
Here's a recent paint job he's done.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/roadfool/dnzl9g.jpg
And an S10 he also did.
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g203/roadfool/s10_paint.jpg
The owner of the s10 also has a matching dually and motorcycle which Charles also did, which was featured in a few magazines.
http://image.truckinweb.com/f/32444601/1005tr_07+1999_ford_f350+left_side_angle.jpg

Sorry about the big picture. I linked it from Truckin's website.

Thunder
12-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Is that a cell phone number? I would want to text him rather than confuse him with a relay call. Does he have a web site? What is his prices?

I dunno why anyone would drive a truck like that, so low, and sparkles everywhere as it scrapes along the road. :-/

Brandon_sharp
12-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Is that a cell phone number? I would want to text him rather than confuse him with a relay call. Does he have a web site? What is his prices?

I dunno why anyone would drive a truck like that, so low, and sparkles everywhere as it scrapes along the road. :-/

Those are bagged, they lift up around 10" for normal driving. Yes that's his cell number so you can text him. I'm not sure of his prices and I don't think he has a website anymore.

easternobserver
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
MAACO is quite capable of a great paint job. They offer several levels of service -- from proper jobs (remove moldings and emblems and weatherstrips and whatnot, proper prep, standard quality 2 stage paint, etc) to "quickies" where they just mask off and then shoot a crappy one stage paint that supposedly has the clearcoat in it. Its all about what you want to pay.

Thunder
01-06-2011, 01:04 AM
MAACO is quite capable of a great paint job. They offer several levels of service -- from proper jobs (remove moldings and emblems and weatherstrips and whatnot, proper prep, standard quality 2 stage paint, etc) to "quickies" where they just mask off and then shoot a crappy one stage paint that supposedly has the clearcoat in it. Its all about what you want to pay.

My thinking exactly. All these bad reviews that I've read and then some more from other people, I bet all of these jobs was done in a quickie for less amount of money. The real job averages about $1,000. I may decide to go with Maaco, since they offer flexible payment plan, which should be quite easy with a large down payment. Then Brandon's recommendation for Charles to do the special designs.

None was decided since I have other things to do first.

Btw, I am curious about the bed on the truck. On the top part of the bed, there appears to be several holes, I guess was drilled. How is this fixed? Or should I replace the whole bed all together?

easternobserver
01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Depends. If they are not rusted, they can be repaired. If they are rusted, may be a more involved repair. Doubt you'll need a new bed, just a decent shop. What you do not want is someone to cake on some filler and paint over it, because it will crack.

Thunder
01-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Depends. If they are not rusted, they can be repaired. If they are rusted, may be a more involved repair. Doubt you'll need a new bed, just a decent shop. What you do not want is someone to cake on some filler and paint over it, because it will crack.

There is no noticeable rust on the body anywhere, thank God, but only where the holes was (maybe drilled) along the top of the bed sides, maybe a lil rust within the holes, which I think is normal when the metal inside/under paint is exposed. I just thought of getting black or silver covering along those sides. I think black, since I want a silver toolbox back there.

Thunder
01-07-2011, 02:18 AM
Here is the truck. :-D

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/140/l_380e9584bbea4b2ca8b1cf52e328620a.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/125/l_a645b4ad5f39401fb27a92c2369c1101.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/126/l_b8e73114b7c447f8ab63a0785ffb5de4.jpg

Disclaimer: The oil you see on the street came from a truck of bro's friend.

Anyone wanna buy the Sony radio? lol I don't use it and I don't need one right now. If anyone want it, hit me up in PM. :-P

oneforone
01-07-2011, 02:59 AM
Thunder,

You have a nice looking truck there. From what I understand that generation Nissan and Toyotas are pretty durable trucks. Everybody I have known that owns them loves to death. They drive forever needing every little upkeep other than oil changes, tires and brakes.

Thunder
01-07-2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah, that is what I am learning more and more about it since I first got the truck. It is my first Nissan auto and its this truck. LOL! I discovered www.nissanforums.com (Thank God the Thunder nickname was not taken) and joined. Quite helpful there. I recently read a comment of a post a few hours ago saying the engine for these trucks are "hard to kill." LOL! I actually feel really good driving this truck than I was with the '79 Chevy (leaked radiator hose...ka'boom), '84 Dodge Ram (rod or whatever went ka'boom), '03 Chevy S10 then traded for '04 Hyundai Santa Fe (lost it to the bank...long story), and the past few years with the '02 Dodge Stratus traded for '05 Chevy TrailBlazer then dealership accepted the return with all balance on it dropped.

Like I said, I feel real good with this truck. My only worry is the timing chain/belt. I've been told it has chain...belt...chain...belt. It is a V6 and something about 3.0l, I believe. With that, the last time I was told, it is the belt for the timing. Then the conflicting info on how often to replace anywhere from 60k to 100k. What I am trying to find out if the timing belt was recently replaced or not, because the water pump and thermostat was recently replaced. With that in mind, I was told that it make logical sense to also replace the timing belt since it is all closely together and the labor time/cost.

Other than that, I just need a complete tuneup and throughout inspections. I feel safe going to this Helping Hands Auto in the Yukon area managed by a real Christian guy according to his site. So, before I go out there, I am getting new rims and tires since it is rough driving right now.

I am also aware of the major frame recall/issue with Nissan and Toyota's frames on these trucks. I need to find out the status of the frame under this truck. I know that Toyota was gracious to buy back those affected trucks, but Nissan was cold-hearted. :-O Just hoping the frame is fine. If not, then another part to order and the shocking labor cost. lol

Thunder
11-10-2011, 12:04 AM
Thinking about selling the truck. Not sure on the price. $1,500? Just really furious not being able to find a tire everywhere I went to doesn't even have the size. There is a blown out tire and I haven't been able to drive a week now.

Roadhawg
11-10-2011, 07:05 AM
What is the tire size? Have you tried Discount Tire?

Thunder
11-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Everywhere. Looking for used. I'm not rich. P215/75R14

Roadhawg
11-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Not sure about used but a new one is around $90 for a decent brand. Have you tried Big Discount Tire on 3200 S. Robinson Ave? http://www.bigdiscounttire.com/index.html

Thunder
11-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I just sold it. Now to find a good truck with this downpayment. Found one on CL, but I think the seller is chicken to accept payments.

MDot
11-10-2011, 12:47 PM
I just sold it. Now to find a good truck with this downpayment. Found one on CL, but I think the seller is chicken to accept payments.

Wow. Just a 12 hour difference and you sold it already.

Roadhawg
11-10-2011, 01:09 PM

Why should somebody you found on CL sell it to a complete stranger on payments? Did you let the person who bought yours do it on payments?

Roadhawg
11-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Wow. Just a 12 hour difference and you sold it already.

That's like trading cars because the ashtray was full lol