View Full Version : Local Post Offices

SoonerQueen
12-11-2010, 09:24 PM
I went to the Post Office downtown on NW 5th today and it is usually open later on Saturdays. There was road construction, and it was locked shut. We went down to the other location on SW 5th and it was closed. Do we not have an after hours post office any more?I was surprised that the one on NW 5th was closed. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? Is it the economy or what?

MikeOKC
12-11-2010, 10:04 PM
Isn't the airport location still 24-hours?

mcca7596
12-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Not sure about the one on NW 5th; if it is temporarily closed I would like to think it will reopen after the construction on Harvey is completed. The post office on SW 5th is soon to be one of the first buildings demolished for the new central park.

SkyWestOKC
12-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Airport closes at 11pm I believe. At least that's what it was last time I was there a month or so ago. Used to be 24 hours.

Patrick
12-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Most of the other branches, if open on Saturday, are only open to noon. The USPS would love to stop Saturday service altogether, as it would save them millions, and their competitor, UPS, doesn't offer Saturday service.

onthestrip
12-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Apparently you can't depend on the post office at this time of year. We had two pieces of certified mail that they gave us no notice of and then held on to it for about a month without sending it back to original sender. When we finally went and asked if they had it, they found it and told us that they've been really busy. What a joke

bluedogok
12-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Didn't they close the old main post office on SW 5th after opening up the new main post office off Reno just west of Portland?

kevinpate
12-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Didn't they close the old main post office on SW 5th after opening up the new main post office off Reno just west of Portland?

Yes, the SW 5th location has been closed a while, and as noted elsewhere in the thread, the city has owned the property for a spell and demolition of the structure is being scheduled. At some point within the next decade that land is part of the new park funded through MAPs3

ljbab728
12-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Most of the other branches, if open on Saturday, are only open to noon. The USPS would love to stop Saturday service altogether, as it would save them millions, and their competitor, UPS, doesn't offer Saturday service.

Not true. You can get Saturday delivery with UPS.

bluedogok
12-13-2010, 08:49 PM
and FedEx, it does cost extra though.

ljbab728
12-13-2010, 11:43 PM
The postal system has been advocating discontinuing all Saturday delivery. Something they ought to at least look at instead is the possibility of a surcharge for any businesses or homeowners who want to continue Saturday service. I'm not sure how that could be worked out but Saturday service is very important for some.

Lauri101
12-14-2010, 02:59 AM
I'd just like a place to mail a couple of packages without standing in line for two hours! Guess I'll pay the surcharge at Mail and More to get 'er done. Midwest City PO sucks.

ljbab728
12-14-2010, 11:03 PM
I'd just like a place to mail a couple of packages without standing in line for two hours! Guess I'll pay the surcharge at Mail and More to get 'er done. Midwest City PO sucks.

I'm guessing you're talking about the problems during the Christmas rush period. I normally have very short waits most of the year whenever I need to go the Post Office.

Patrick
12-16-2010, 03:15 PM

Yeah, it's not part of standard service though. Mail something out with USPS for regular price, and delivery still occurs on Saturday. At UPS, only special delivery runs on Saturday, not their regular routes. Of course, Saturday delivery costs extra.

Patrick
12-16-2010, 03:16 PM

I use the Automated Postal Center machine inside the lobby after hours and avoid the problem of waiting in line.

Lauri101
12-16-2010, 04:12 PM
I use the Automated Postal Center machine inside the lobby after hours and avoid the problem of waiting in line.

I was going to do that, Patrick, but it had to be priority mail. Had I known ahead of time, I'd have gotten the special boxes and packed for priority. Mail and More ended up costing nearly $50 to FedEx two 8 lb boxes!