View Full Version : OKC Talk members -- let's get involved in Plan OKC over the Holidays

Spartan
12-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Well Spartan will be back home really soon. Looking to take advantage of my short time back to ruffle some feathers and be up to no good. Would there be interest among the urbanist members on here in getting involved in Plan OKC? We could spend one evening working together on a "meeting in a box" concept or whatever. It would be a great opportunity to get some vetted progressive ideas represented when they re-work the new comprehensive plan.

Anyone in?

LakeEffect
12-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Email planokc@okc.gov and ask for a Meeting in a Box. We technically finished that step, but I want more reponses, so we'll get more out to those who wish to do them. Just let us know. Thanks!

Spartan
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Right, I just want to make sure that there is interest first. What is the minimum number of people that can be in on this?

leprechaun
12-08-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm down.

betts
12-09-2010, 06:39 AM
I would definitely be interested, if I'm not working.

G.Walker
12-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Count me in...

G.Walker
12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
I also have an office space in Midtown, if we need a meeting place? Or just depending on how many people turnout, we might need a bigger place, maybe at a restaurant?

LakeEffect
12-09-2010, 07:19 AM
Right, I just want to make sure that there is interest first. What is the minimum number of people that can be in on this?

A meeting in a box was designed for up to 20 people per box (folder), so we really don't have a minimum. Also, if needed, we can give out more than one box per group, so the maximum is flexible.

Spartan
12-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Ok, great. Sounds like we've got 4 interested. I imagine working around betts' work sched will be tough but we definitely want her insights in this.

krisb
12-09-2010, 01:46 PM
They have already begun citizen stakeholder groups for the various facets of planOKC. The public is invited, but it's good to RSVP your attendance. I attended the playOKC group last month. A schedule of times and locations can be found here: http://www.okc.gov/planokc/

Spartan
12-09-2010, 03:29 PM
So Kris, would you be interested in getting involved in another Plan OKC?

krisb
12-09-2010, 10:54 PM
That would be great, Spartan. I wonder how we might integrate the product of our discussion into the larger process, that way our ideas are heard and understood by those making decisions.

Spartan
12-10-2010, 12:35 PM
I'm not sure, just doing a meeting in a box though seems like a good way to that end, though. Can't hurt.

I'm certain we have ideas that nobody else will, so they won't be heard unless we get involved.

krisb
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
New website unveiled: www.planokc.org. Tons of information already posted (presentations, agendae, notes, etc).

Spartan
12-11-2010, 01:01 AM
So far, as potentially in members, we've got:

Me
Krisb
betts
leprechaun
G.Walker

Where are Steve, Doug, and all the others that often get involved? Metro? Would be great if we could all put aside our differences and meet up and put some ideas down on this, for the sake of giving real urban planning some clout.

My concern is that Plan OKC will amount to nothing. OKC ranks dead-last in SustainLane's rankings of land use and urban planning. There are no building codes and land use laws in OKC, anything goes (it just isn't explicitly stated), and the results are far from as intriguing as Houston. I will be impressed if Plan OKC really results in higher building starts, pulling in the reigns on sprawl, and more emphasis on the inner city. But I doubt it. I don't at all question that the planning department has good intentions and would like to be able to do that, but let's be real..unless people show support for a well-planned city, we won't have it in OKC.

SkyWestOKC
12-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm a maybe.

BDK
12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
I would be happy to be involved, but I moved back down to Norman when I started attending law school this semester. I fully anticipate moving back to the city once I graduate and have been closely watching all of the urban planning developments, though. If you all are needing numbers, I'd be happy to participate if my stake in the city's development isn't too attenuated.

Spartan
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Very good, we'd be happy to have some people from OU regardless of whether you can officially be counted on the meeting in a box form.

So what day/time works best for everyone? Before Christmas, I could work well with this upcoming Sunday the 19th or next Monday the 20th. Family might be taking a Christmas trip if weather holds up, so much later than Monday probably couldn't work for me until after Christmas. We might want to do it after in case that gives more people the opportunity to get involved.

Interested:
Spartan
G.Walker
krisb
betts
leprechaun
skywest
BDP

betts
12-13-2010, 09:47 PM
I've got a fair amount of time off after Christmas, with the exception of Fridays when I always work.

CuatrodeMayo
12-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd be interested if we waited until after Christmas.

Spartan
12-14-2010, 05:46 PM
I guess that's what we'll do then.

Spartan
12-27-2010, 10:56 AM
Bump. How does Monday the 3rd work for everyone?

BDK
12-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Sounds good.