View Full Version : What small business startups would you like to see in OKC?

metro
12-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Contemplating a startup in the next couple years. I have some ideas that I have knowledge and passion about, but just curious on which type of small startups would you like to see in OKC and/or what types do you think would do well here. Possibly ideas that a niche or broad need is not being met.

mcca7596
12-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Men's clothing.

sethsrott
12-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Men's clothing.

:yeahthat:

Platemaker
12-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Agreed.

metro
12-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Men's clothing.

be more specific...

mcca7596
12-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Moderately priced classic clothes (sportswear, business casual and suit separates; doesn't have to have tailoring services). A tad less expensive Spencer Stone type of concept perhaps.

EBAH
12-08-2010, 09:24 PM
agreed agreed agreed, mens shopping in this city is shameful. For the "younger stuff"t he Lucca Annex in Penn Sq has some ok stuff, as does Blue 7 and a handful of other places. Spencer Stone is awesome, but a tad too expensive for everyday clothing. Mr Ooley's and Pinpoint are ok as well for certain things, but more geared to higher end and more formal business attire. Some place in the mid range would be WONDERFUL! I'd kill for a Benneton (we actually used to have one), Esprit, or Uniqlo in this city, but there is zero chance of that happening (I am not a huge H&M fan, but that'd be cool too). An upstart mid priced mens fashion shop would be an excellent conciliation. A lot of the Blue 7 / Lucca inventory is cool, but a little too, "fashiony" and lacking in tasteful and austere staple items. You know, like hip business casual stuff with a few choice luxury items and tasteful, cheap, vintage accessories. Anyway, yeah, men's clothing. I am saddened by how many garments and accessories I buy online or when I'm out of state and have access to a real range of options.

Platemaker
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Moderately priced classic clothes (sportswear, business casual and suit separates; doesn't have to have tailoring services). A tad less expensive Spencer Stone type of concept perhaps.

Except a little more than a tad.

kevinpate
12-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't mind a moderately priced shop that had a decent section for the fellas who are both big and tall. Most such places seem to be more about big OR tall

Spartan
12-09-2010, 03:32 PM
If you want a niche that's not being filled right now, may I suggest an LFL franchise?

soonerguru
12-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Medical marijuana dispensaries.

GQofOklahoma
12-09-2010, 05:21 PM
We here at GQ Fashions down on 23rd already carry some of the stuff you guys talk about, but we are working on making it a full fledged concept at a different location. Slim Fit Suits, Skinny Ties, Nice Aldo-Type shoes, patterned shirts, good quality jeans, and more. Hopefully will have it up and running between 6mos to a 1yr from now. Open to suggestions on location and type of clothing! :).

Patrick
12-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I agree with the men's clothing suggestion. There are plenty of high end stores out there like Mr. Ooleys, but the middle class man just can't afford that. Our only option: JC Penney, Wal-Mart, Target, Sears, Burlington! Eeeeeck. Why can't we have some LOCAL boutique men's clothing stores that offer middle of the road merchandise? Maybe something a little higher end than JC Penney, but not as high priced as Mr. Ooleys. And definitely something local.

Spartan
12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
We here at GQ Fashions down on 23rd already carry some of the stuff you guys talk about, but we are working on making it a full fledged concept at a different location. Slim Fit Suits, Skinny Ties, Nice Aldo-Type shoes, patterned shirts, good quality jeans, and more. Hopefully will have it up and running between 6mos to a 1yr from now. Open to suggestions on location and type of clothing! :).

Well I think you know where we're going to suggest you locate. Ask 10 people who are potential customers of yours (not suburban bums), 9 out of the 10 will tell you downtown. Maybe give North Broadway a try, there's some available storefront next to Coffee Slingers now, for example. Tons of other cool buildings are available, too.

bluedogok
12-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I wouldn't mind a moderately priced shop that had a decent section for the fellas who are both big and tall. Most such places seem to be more about big OR tall
I buy most of mine at Dillard's during the end of season sales. We have one here in Austin which has a much larger selection than the other stores, both the Penn Square and Quail Springs locations had a decent selection the last time that I was in there. Otherwise it is Casual Make XL and their email coupons.

Kerry
12-09-2010, 09:58 PM
My wife buys my clothes at Kohls and Steinmart. I can't tell you the last time I bought my own clothes.

kevinpate
12-09-2010, 10:00 PM
I buy most of mine at Dillard's during the end of season sales. We have one here in Austin which has a much larger selection than the other stores, both the Penn Square and Quail Springs locations had a decent selection the last time that I was in there. Otherwise it is Casual Make XL and their email coupons.

I'll check into that. Last time I talked to a Dillard's the largest suit in stock was either a 48L or a 46L. Those worked back in the days when the power Clinton was the husband, but yeah, that's been a while.

ljbab728
12-09-2010, 11:19 PM
My wife buys my clothes at Kohls and Steinmart. I can't tell you the last time I bought my own clothes.

I'm glad that works for you, Kerry. If I had ever let my ex-wife buy my clothes I would have been afraid to be seen in public. LOL

benman
12-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Just 1 suggestion: Do not carry that trashy Affliction, Ed Hardy, and graphic tee crap. It doesnt sound like you will, but I would like to see that stuff unavailable within 350 miles of OKC at least.

EBAH
12-10-2010, 08:13 AM

I vow to stop in to your store in the next couple of weeks. I owe it to you guys, I live close, I drive by it frequently, and never stop in. The renovation looks great and I have heard nice things about your store. I have intended to stop in for a long time now.

mcca7596
12-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Just 1 suggestion: Do not carry that trashy Affliction, Ed Hardy, and graphic tee crap. It doesnt sound like you will, but I would like to see that stuff unavailable within 350 miles of OKC at least.

I'm glad someone else views those brands for what they are: trash.

Patrick
12-10-2010, 04:03 PM

Who wears the pants in that family? lol!

MsDarkstar
12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
So... does this mean folks are looking for a men's clothing store along the lines of what Harold's & Gil's sold?

bluedogok
12-11-2010, 10:28 AM
I think Gil's is still open but they never really carried "dress clothing", I always remember it as a higher end casual wear store. Harold's went downhill when Mr. Powell retired, Rainey was never able to sustain the company like his father. I think he was too aggressive in expansion and burdened the company with too much debt.

I used to buy quite a bit of stuff from Harold's, jeans at Gil's. I quit shopping at those stores once I outgrew their clothing, neither had Big & Tall clothing. I am in between sizes, I buy regular size pants but Big & Tall shirts and jackets. It is hard to find a 52 suit jacket with a 42 pant on the rack so I have to mix and match. Luckily suits aren't really worn much in Austin since it is a pretty casual business environment so I can get by with the one that I bought at the Dillard's years ago. In fact I haven't worn it in years, "dressing up" is a pair of slacks anymore as normal workday attire is jeans and a knit shirt.

mobilemaster
02-08-2011, 07:46 AM
A Cuban Restaurant

A few years back we had a young man from Fla. who stayed with us and I really miss his cooking. He talked about the need for a good Cuban restaurant here in the city as there is a large number of Cuban's in the state.