View Full Version : Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Faith
03-09-2006, 02:56 PM
I seen a commercial the other day advertising a Dave and Busters here in Oklahoma. I didn't know that we had one now. Does anyone know where it is at? I have been to one in San Antonio and had a great time. It is like an Adults Incredible Pizza. I checked their website and didn't see anything about an Oklahoma location....

Faith
03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm beginning to think maybe it was just a dream now...... I have looked on the net and can't find anything referencing a Dave and Busters in Oklahoma.

gbyte
03-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I saw the commercial also but was wondering if they were advertising for some state that is neighboring for some reason. I have been to the one in San Jose and it can be fun.

metro
03-09-2006, 03:23 PM
I saw the commercial too. More than likely it was a part of a regional buy and probably advertising for one of the locations in Dallas. They are franchise owned so get some investors together and we can have our own here.

BricktownGuy
03-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Hint: Do not look to Randy Hogan to be one of your investors. lol.

kangaroo
06-06-2008, 03:45 AM
Dave and Busters is opening a new location in Tulsa. You can go to Tulsaworld.com and search for dave and busters and it will advise you.:tiphat:

venture
06-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Tulsa World: Week in review: Dave & Buster's coming to town (http://www.tulsaworld.com/business/article.aspx?articleID=20080525_46_E6_aemBse526368 )

Week in review: Dave & Buster's coming to town

By Staff Reports
5/25/2008
Last Modified: 5/25/2008 4:12 AM

Dave & Buster's Inc., a Dallas-based restaurant chain known for its entertainment options, is planning a Tulsa location.

The Tulsa World learned that the company has purchased three acres of land at 71st Street and 101st East Avenue, between Best Buy Co. and Mathis Brothers Furniture.

A company spokesman said in a telephone interview that a Dave & Buster's restaurant will be built in Tulsa, with a tentative opening date next January, but would offer no other details.

Each Dave & Buster's location features American-style food, adult beverages and entertainment choices such as video games, billiards, air hockey, virtual reality games and sports simulators.
-------
Comment: Sad that Tulsa is able to land this, but OKC cannot.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Grrrrr...I wish they'd have bought out Toby Keith's joint and put it there.

Pete
06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
I fear if they do come to OKC it will be to the Quail Springs area, which is more of their m.o.

However, they would be a good anchor for more development in or around Bricktown.

Turanacus
06-06-2008, 02:12 PM
I spoke to Dave this morning and he said they are actively trying to acquire land currently occupied by the <former> Fox Collision Center. I rang Buster to see if he'd confirm but got his voice mail. I'll post again should Buster return my call.

venture
06-06-2008, 02:34 PM
LOL /sigh

I think Bricktown is the best place for them in OKC. Pete your comment on Quail Springs is probably right, I would except that UNP in Norman would be another. However, both locations effectively kill off customers from half the Metro.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
06-06-2008, 02:53 PM
I spoke to Dave this morning and he said they are actively trying to acquire land currently occupied by the <former> Fox Collision Center. I rang Buster to see if he'd confirm but got his voice mail. I'll post again should Buster return my call.

When you've got him on the phone, tell him to bring back the bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp kabobs. :tiphat:

MestaParkMan
06-09-2008, 04:29 PM
I wants a Dave and Busters! It is like Chuckie Cheese for adults with beer! I can play Galaga for hours and sip on Bass. Good times.

Jesseda
06-11-2008, 09:57 AM
count me in on dave and busters, I live in moore and will drive o the north side to go to that place, just build it in he okc metro and i will come..Message o dave and busters ( If you build it we will come)

venture
06-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Umm...if it is on Memorial on the North side...I'm not paying $4/gal of gas to go there from SE Norman. :)

Turanacus
06-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Dave & Buster's Inc., a Dallas-based restaurant chain known for its entertainment options, is planning a Tulsa location.

The Tulsa World learned that the company has purchased three acres of land at 71st Street and 101st East Avenue, between Best Buy Co. and Mathis Brothers Furniture.

A company spokesman said in a telephone interview that a Dave & Buster's restaurant will be built in Tulsa, with a tentative opening date next January, but would offer no other details.

Each Dave & Buster's location features American-style food, adult beverages and entertainment choices such as video games, billiards, air hockey, virtual reality games and sports simulators.

redrunner
12-07-2010, 11:46 PM
New developments on D&B from Steve in today's paper.

Dave & Buster's, a popular entertainment and restaurant chain, is seeking zoning to serve alcohol at a new Oklahoma City restaurant.

The agenda for Thursday's meeting of the Oklahoma City Planning Commissions shows a new Dave & Buster's is to be built at 5501 N May Ave., the former site of Smicklas Chevrolet. A site plan shows pads reserved for two more restaurants and a hotel in the block bounded by May Avenue, Northwest Expressway, NW 52 and N Brookline Avenue.

Read more: http://newsok.com/dave-busters-prepares-entry-into-oklahoma-city/article/3521728#ixzz17V4gmMIP

warreng88
12-08-2010, 06:54 AM
From Newsok.com:

Dave & Buster's, a popular entertainment and restaurant chain, is seeking zoning to serve alcohol at a new Oklahoma City restaurant.

Dave & Buster's prepares entry into Oklahoma City

The agenda for Thursday's meeting of the Oklahoma City Planning Commissions shows a new Dave & Buster's is to be built at 5501 N May Ave., the former site of Smicklas Chevrolet. A site plan shows pads reserved for two more restaurants and a hotel in the block bounded by May Avenue, Northwest Expressway, NW 52 and N Brookline Avenue.

Read the rest of Steve's article at:

http://newsok.com/dave-busters-prepares-entry-into-oklahoma-city/article/3521728?custom_click=lead_story_title

Midtowner
12-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Bummer it's not in Bricktown, but for D&B, I think this was the smart move. Right in the middle of several hotels and aside from Hooters, they're the only thing to do.

Turanacus
12-08-2010, 07:34 AM
GREAT Location!!! I hope the format is more full-scale as oppose to Tulsa's junior store.

Decious
12-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Coolio! However, I wish that Steve's attempts to communicate with company reps had been answered. I want to know whether this will be a "full scale" D&B or the "smaller market" version a la Omaha/Tulsa. If I recall correctly, the smaller versions don't even have pool tables. I'm inclined to think that the OKC site will be full scale given that it seems to be new construction. I believe that smaller formats are molded into strip centers, but I could be mistaken. Should be a great addition to the Penn area, but like Mid, I wish they had built downtown.

redrunner
12-08-2010, 07:44 AM
Was Tulsa's D&B built brand new or converted from existing building?

Turanacus
12-08-2010, 07:47 AM
Tulsa's store was new construction.

Pete
12-08-2010, 07:55 AM
At least this will be some good in-fill development.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/maynwex.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters.jpg

OKCMallen
12-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Thank gawd. This has been such a big issue for so long on this board! :)

Kerry
12-08-2010, 08:03 AM
This will be good for the area.

redrunner
12-08-2010, 08:05 AM
I can't read the square footage of the OKC D&B but it looks like mid 20k sf. Tulsa's location is one of the smallest D&B at 17k sf.

Pete
12-08-2010, 08:14 AM
In another document shown on the planning site, it says the proposed D&B's will be 23,565 square feet.

metro
12-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Glad to hear they are finally coming to OKC. Odd choice of location though. Too bad developers around here don't have higher dreams and ambitions for development. That site would be PRIME for a midrise hotel and/or a mixed-use development that could still incorporate D&B and a hotel, but less surface parking. Would like to see more mid-rises go up on the NWE corridor, but nonetheless happy it is better than what is currently there.

Also, Steve seems to be taking the suburban beat as of late, downtown news must be slow.

metro
12-08-2010, 09:07 AM
GREAT Location!!! I hope the format is more full-scale as oppose to Tulsa's junior store.

See the other thread in Metro Area Talk, OKC's will be about 6,000 sq. feet bigger than Tulsa's.

ChargerAg
12-08-2010, 09:26 AM
Let the argument of if Dave & Busters now end.

Let the argument of if 23,565 square is a good size Dave & Busters begin.

tulsooner
12-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Coolio! However, I wish that Steve's attempts to communicate with company reps had been answered. I want to know whether this will be a "full scale" D&B or the "smaller market" version a la Omaha/Tulsa. If I recall correctly, the smaller versions don't even have pool tables. I'm inclined to think that the OKC site will be full scale given that it seems to be new construction. I believe that smaller formats are molded into strip centers, but I could be mistaken. Should be a great addition to the Penn area, but like Mid, I wish they had built downtown.

I don't know about the Omaha location but I can tell you that the Tulsa location is a new construction stand alone building. Aloft hotels built right behind D&B's.

wsucougz
12-08-2010, 09:37 AM
I like the location.

soonerguru
12-08-2010, 09:43 AM
I'm super glad to see infill development in that location. Agree with metro that something more midrise and dense would be cooler, but this is great news nonetheless.

Now, does anyone know if this will be a real Dave * Busters or a junior version. I've never patronized the chain.

kevinpate
12-08-2010, 10:26 AM
The smaller food project, on lot 4, makes me think Waffle House.

onthestrip
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
I dont think the location is odd. Outside of being in bricktown, I think this location is great. However, I do agree that something more midrise and more mixed use would be great there. This would have been a good spot for another specialty grocer (trader joes) along with some other retail and a nice hotel or smaller, nicer apartment complex in the back.

I know this was for sale. Did someone buy it or has the seller decided to develop it themselves?

theparkman81
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I think its awesome that they are finally coming here, and i am happy that the location is going to be larger then the one in Tulsa.

circuitboard
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
I have a weird feeling that little restaurant is going to be Jack in the box. They do not have a location anywhere near that area right now. See the long driveway around the side, just like the one on Macarthur.

BG918
12-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Are there any D&B in urban locations? I'm not that familiar with the chain and have only been to the one in Denver which is in a similar location (I-25 & Colorado area). I think they had a parking garage though, and there was a United Artists theater in the same development.

binners41
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I would LOVE to get in contact with the General Contractor or the chain's headquarters about this new restaurant. I work at Edmond Rock, and I would be interested in submitting a bid for the stone on the building. Anyone have any ideas who I would need to get in touch with? Thanks for your help!

Spartan
12-08-2010, 11:45 AM
What a ghastly site plan. But it's great to finally get one of these. Saw this one the planning agenda for last week and didn't know if it was news or not.

okclee
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Are we sure this isn't Lower Bricktown?

Pete
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, as LB is less dense. :kicking:

BTW, I read that their typical size is 32-35,000 square feet, so at 23,565 this will be a smaller location

BB37
12-08-2010, 12:15 PM
Seems like an odd location from a traffic standpoint. It's hard by the exit ramp from EB NW Highway to SB May, but there won't be any access to the site from there. Looks like traffic will have to go north on Brookline, or take the service road that parallels EB NW Highway, that curves into Brookline. Kind of a roundabout traffic pattern. I would think they would want direct access from May.

Kerry
12-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Are there any D&B in urban locations? I'm not that familiar with the chain and have only been to the one in Denver which is in a similar location (I-25 & Colorado area). I think they had a parking garage though, and there was a United Artists theater in the same development.

All of the Dave and Busters I know of (Jax and Atlanta) are suburban. Gameworks was an urban version (and many moons ago one was supposed to go in Bricktown) but Gameworks hit financial problems and now many of their stores are closed

Remember this blast from the past:

http://www.highwaygames.com/body.php3?action=news_st&view=detail&news_id=416

Sega Gameworks to Anchor Oklahoma Canal Site 25 Jul, 2001

Sega Gameworks will anchor a planned entertainment and retail site on the middle segment of Oklahoma City’s Bricktown Canal, the site’s developer announced this week.

Sega Gameworks, an entertainment concept that uses restaurants, bars, high-tech games and arcades to entertain its guests, is combining its successful theme with 14 movie screens for its Oklahoma City project.

Developer Randy Hogan and the company agreed upon a long-term lease for the $22 million project Monday. They anticipate a summer 2003 opening. Hogan also announced Monday he has a letter of intent with Bass Pro Shops for a 110,000-square-foot retail store as part of the canal development. While no lease has been signed for this project, Bass Pro Shops retail store officials said they expect the center to open in spring 2003.

Hogan continues to work on other potential additions to the development, including three buildings near the project’s main plaza. Bricktown Entertainment has letters of intent with the Hal Smith Restaurant Group, the Marble Slab Creamery and Jamba Juice. Discussions continue with other restaurants and stores.

Offices and perhaps even a hotel may eventually be involved, bringing the total value of investment to more than $60 million. The pact between Sega Gameworks and Hogan’s development firm, Bricktown Entertainment LLC, closes a search to find a replacement anchor tenant for the canal development project.

Bricktown Entertainment LLC is a partnership between Hogan Property Management LLC and Stonegate Management Co., which includes Brad Hogan, Mark Elgin and Ron Richey of Birmingham, Ala. The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority initially sought proposals for canalfront land south of Reno and north of Interstate 40 in 1997.

In late 1998, Hogan secured a lease with Edwards Theaters that would have brought a 24-screen theater complex to the land. But a legal challenge to the deal stalled the project. Then Hogan was forced to drop Edwards in August just before the firm declared bankruptcy.

The Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority gave Hogan 300 days to find a replacement for Edwards. The local firm used every day but one to find the replacement. The deadline was today.

“It feels good to get the commitment secured for what we think will be a really great development,” Hogan said. “There is no doubt that we are competing in a challenging national environment for these types of projects.

“It also helps to have a Bass Pro Shops committing to the site. That’s truly a great step forward. Not only does it enhance retail possibilities for our project, but it does the same for Bricktown and downtown.

“This gives us two anchor tenants — not just one.”

Gameworks, Hogan said, provides the same entertainment-based theme as Edwards, with the added twist of fun and games. The Sega Gameworks center planned for Oklahoma City includes a restaurant, bars, a bowling alley and the high-tech games — plus 14 movie screens as part of the package.

Pete
12-08-2010, 12:32 PM
BB37, I'm sure people will just exit May going south then turn right on NW 52nd, then go all the way to Brookline or just turn into the parking lot.

Heading north on May, there is a dedicated left turn lane although no traffic light. Immediately north of that, there is a concrete median.

Swake2
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Chicago has an urban D&B

OKCisOK4me
12-08-2010, 01:31 PM
This is awesome. I've never eaten there but that corner of Expressway and May is a huge eye sore. If the other restaurant were to be a Jack In the Box, that would be cool, as the closest one is down on MacArthur & I-40. If it were an IHOP too, that would make sense, since the Denny's was closed, site dozed, and the Chick-Fil-A is almost open.

edcrunk
12-08-2010, 01:49 PM
there's a D&B in times square.

metro
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Also, to answer the earlier question, even D&B's suburban stores are often more urban in design or mixed-use development other than this plan. Kansas City D&B comes to mind.

Larry OKC
12-08-2010, 10:17 PM
This is awesome. I've never eaten there but that corner of Expressway and May is a huge eye sore. If the other restaurant were to be a Jack In the Box, that would be cool, as the closest one is down on MacArthur & I-40. If it were an IHOP too, that would make sense, since the Denny's was closed, site dozed, and the Chick-Fil-A is almost open.

May be too close for an IHOP (there is one in the Belle Isle area, just north of NW Expressway/Classen (before you get to Classen Curve)

leprechaun
12-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Finally! Like others have said, I would have liked to see this built closer to downtown. That's alright though, considering that their developments tend to be suburban. This is great in-fill, I'm so glad it isn't being built up on Memorial.

redrunner
12-08-2010, 10:36 PM
Also, to answer the earlier question, even D&B's suburban stores are often more urban in design or mixed-use development other than this plan. Kansas City D&B comes to mind.

Kansas City's DB is in an outlet mall on the outskirts of KC. Hardly urban. For the size of available land I think they've done the best they can with two restaurants and a hotel. Let's not rush judgment without seeing the design of the exterior first.

ljbab728
12-08-2010, 11:13 PM
Kansas City's DB is in an outlet mall on the outskirts of KC. Hardly urban. For the size of available land I think they've done the best they can with two restaurants and a hotel. Let's not rush judgment without seeing the design of the exterior first.

redrunner, that would ruin everyone's fun. You know the posters here can't wait to find some reason to be critical. LOL

EBAH
12-09-2010, 06:07 AM
WOOHOO! Well, this is very good news indeed. First, I have wanted a D&B just as many others on this site, and am happy that a deal has been worked out. Second, I drive past this location every day and am constantly asking myself, "when is someone going to clean up that horrible Smicklas site?". I think this location is excellent. Someone mentioned that they are "the only thing to do" in the area, but really, the area actually has a lot of bars and night clubs. Juniors is right down NW Exp, the Lighthouse, Cousins, Chesters Pool Hall, Electro Lounge, the Office, and that new sports bar at the new hotel (whatever it is called). I am so happy with the proposed location. I am in full support of any one putting money in to May on this side of the expressway. If they had put it in Bricktown, I would have never gone there at all.

Pete
12-09-2010, 06:18 AM
And, it must be said, at least they aren't building out on Memorial.

foodiefan
12-09-2010, 06:42 AM
I dont think the location is odd. Outside of being in bricktown, I think this location is great. However, I do agree that something more midrise and more mixed use would be great there. This would have been a good spot for another specialty grocer (trader joes) along with some other retail and a nice hotel or smaller, nicer apartment complex in the back.

I know this was for sale. Did someone buy it or has the seller decided to develop it themselves?

pass that way frequently and Trader Joe's has long been on my wish list!! Is there still enough room?

OKCisOK4me
12-09-2010, 07:28 AM
May be too close for an IHOP (there is one in the Belle Isle area, just north of NW Expressway/Classen (before you get to Classen Curve)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that one...

WOOHOO! Well, this is very good news indeed. First, I have wanted a D&B just as many others on this site, and am happy that a deal has been worked out. Second, I drive past this location every day and am constantly asking myself, "when is someone going to clean up that horrible Smicklas site?". I think this location is excellent. Someone mentioned that they are "the only thing to do" in the area, but really, the area actually has a lot of bars and night clubs. Juniors is right down NW Exp, the Lighthouse, Cousins, Chesters Pool Hall, Electro Lounge, the Office, and that new sports bar at the new hotel (whatever it is called). I am so happy with the proposed location. I am in full support of any one putting money in to May on this side of the expressway. If they had put it in Bricktown, I would have never gone there at all.

809 Sports Grill. It's a pretty cool venue. Really upscale.

I completely agree with "had it gone in Bricktown", lol. I still haven't even been to Coyote Ugly!

With this going in, they need to do a complete overhaul on the NWE/May Avenue interchange. I know they just did some extensive patch work on May but that bridge is old and dilapidated and needs to be replaced.

EBAH
12-09-2010, 08:30 AM
And, it must be said, at least they aren't building out on Memorial.

YES! High Five!

J. Pitman
12-09-2010, 08:34 AM
Odd location.