View Full Version : Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

metro
09-26-2011, 12:54 PM
They also put a coming soon whataburger sign up recently.

MDot
09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
It seems like it took forever for them to start but now it feels like they're moving so fast.

metro
10-03-2011, 07:59 PM
The facade has started to be installed on the SE corner of the building. It appears they are going with a staggering color, geometric blocks motif using shades of their colors. One half of the corner has blocks in various shades of blue and the other shades of orange. Looks pretty cool and modern.

soonerguru
10-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I know this has been discussed, but WTF is with the new Whataburger? That is such a killer location for such a run-of-the-mill fast food joint (with another location less than a mile away).

foodiefan
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
I know this has been discussed, but WTF is with the new Whataburger? That is such a killer location for such a run-of-the-mill fast food joint (with another location less than a mile away).

concur. . . .and I'm betting they will close the 36th location.

Larry OKC
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
That is up in the air...according to the management folks, one week they are "relocating" it and the next they are keeping both open. Just depends on how many customers switch to the new location. that old location has most likely been paid off decades ago and other than maintenance issues with older buildings, should be quite profitable. Having places close to each other doesn't seem to bother McDonald's & others (McD's are spaced about 1-mile apart at nearly every exit along I-40 west of the interchange, sometimes with 2 locations at the same exit (a stand alone & inside Wal-mart), same is true for other dual McD's & Wal-mart in the metro.

reverend
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
Talked to the guy who cooks overnight at the 35th and May restaurant, he said that he was told they are relocating. The guy drinks a case of beer every morning when he gets off work, so take that for what it is worth.

MDot
10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Talked to the guy who cooks overnight at the 35th and May restaurant, he said that he was told they are relocating. The guy drinks a case of beer every morning when he gets off work, so take that for what it is worth.

Seems like a legit source. Lol

reverend
10-04-2011, 11:28 PM
Yeah, he comes into the store I work at every morning to buy his beer, so at least he is coherent when I talk to him.

MDot
10-04-2011, 11:40 PM
Yeah, he comes into the store I work at every morning to buy his beer, so at least he is coherent when I talk to him.

Has he ever said what will happen to the Whataburger on 35th and May if they do indeed relocate?

MikeOKC
10-04-2011, 11:44 PM
Has he ever said what will happen to the Whataburger on 35th and May if they do indeed relocate?

I think they stay open. They get a lot of business from the dense neighborhoods all around it. The new store is almost two miles away. The 35th & May store is the last national burger chain southbound on north May until - what? - SW 59th and May? Surely, they'll give it time to see what things look like in a year.

metro
10-05-2011, 09:48 AM
That is up in the air...according to the management folks, one week they are "relocating" it and the next they are keeping both open. Just depends on how many customers switch to the new location. that old location has most likely been paid off decades ago and other than maintenance issues with older buildings, should be quite profitable. Having places close to each other doesn't seem to bother McDonald's & others (McD's are spaced about 1-mile apart at nearly every exit along I-40 west of the interchange, sometimes with 2 locations at the same exit (a stand alone & inside Wal-mart), same is true for other dual McD's & Wal-mart in the metro.

McD's pulls it off because they are the only ones consistent with speedy service, the others can't seem to get the speed down, especially whataburger.

It's all about convenience, moreso than taste.

Pete
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
There are actually a bunch of Whataburgers in that area, all tightly grouped: 36th & McArthur, less than 3 miles from 35th & May; about 3 miles from 78th & McArhtur, and about 5 miles from 13th & S. Meridian.

MDot
10-05-2011, 09:57 AM
I vote for Whataburger to move it's HQ to somewhere on one of the M streets.

OKCisOK4me
10-05-2011, 11:09 AM
There are actually a bunch of Whataburgers in that area, all tightly grouped: 36th & McArthur, less than 3 miles from 35th & May; about 3 miles from 78th & McArhtur, and about 5 miles from 13th & S. Meridian.

Don't forget the one at 36th and MacArthur!

metro
10-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Don't forget the one at 36th and MacArthur!

He didn't, it was the first one he listed

bluedogok
10-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I vote for Whataburger to move it's HQ to somewhere on one of the M streets.
They just moved their HQ a couple of years ago from their hometown of Corpus Christi to San Antonio.

OKCisOK4me
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
He didn't, it was the first one he listed

I just saw 36th and May. Don't bite so hard, lol.

Larry OKC
10-05-2011, 08:05 PM
McDonald's isn't unique with locations in close proximity....Taco Bueno had a smiliar setup quite a few years back now. They had the original metro area store near 50th & MacArthur; 23rd & MacArthur, 23rd & Meridian; 39 & Meridian, 23rd & Penn; 63rd & Penn...point is it can work.

MDot
10-05-2011, 10:36 PM
They just moved their HQ a couple of years ago from their hometown of Corpus Christi to San Antonio.

I know, I was just being sarcastic. :-)

metro
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
McDonald's isn't unique with locations in close proximity....Taco Bueno had a smiliar setup quite a few years back now. They had the original metro area store near 50th & MacArthur; 23rd & MacArthur, 23rd & Meridian; 39 & Meridian, 23rd & Penn; 63rd & Penn...point is it can work.

You can't compare a few taco buenos to McDs strategy worldwide

Larry OKC
10-06-2011, 08:24 PM
OK metro, you win...back to the topic of Dave & Busters? LOL

shawnw
10-19-2011, 07:10 PM
Drove by about an hour ago and there's a Coming Soon sign up that says "Early 2012".

metro
10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, it's been up a couple weeks now.

demoman
11-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Ad for them hiring is now up on Craigslist. Says they will be opening in Jan 2012. READY FOR SOME FUN!!

metro
11-29-2011, 12:46 PM
yeah, their sign has also said Jan. 2012 for awhile now too so that should be pretty solid.

RadicalModerate
11-29-2011, 02:27 PM
So . . . Has anyone already mentioned that "Dave and Busters" looks like a wornout playskool for old children who were deprived of ShowBizPizza/ChuckieCheez/Etc (and so forth including the food court at the AnaheimCAOriginalDisneyland) back in their formative years)?

No? Good.

I'd hate to base an opinion on television advertising.
It is rarely a true reflection of . . . whatever.

Sorry: I'm still pissed off about Bahama Breeze going away and low Skee-Ball Scores at another location.

OKCisOK4me
11-29-2011, 08:24 PM
I played skee-ball at the state fair and it sucked!

roci28
12-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Are they really not going to change the exterior of Dave and Busters...Is that really what it's going to look like?

rcjunkie
12-06-2011, 03:52 AM
Are they really not going to change the exterior of Dave and Busters...Is that really what it's going to look like?

Isn't this a new building. Why would they change it?

roci28
12-07-2011, 06:06 PM
The different colored squares on the exterior are not what I remember Dave and Buster's looking like. Personally I was hoping that was not the final design.

MDot
12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
The different colored squares on the exterior are not what I remember Dave and Buster's looking like. Personally I was hoping that was not the final design.

Can you or someone else get a picture of it, I'm rarely in that area and when I am I'm always just east of there and I don't have the time to just go and check it out.

shawnw
01-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Not the best picture ever, but taken yesterday with my phone from the Target paarking lot across the street...

You can make out the terrible paint job pretty well...

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SZsO1qiel-g/TwNZoUuQ-cI/AAAAAAAAQPU/wL23nC9VvF0/s400/IMAG0223-1.jpg

MDot
01-03-2012, 01:06 PM
They should've built it next to the outlet mall. LOL

Dustin
01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Picky picky picky..

MDot
01-03-2012, 09:02 PM
Picky picky picky..

I thought it looked a lot worse before shawnw posted the pic since i hadn't seen it. While it isn't visually stunning, it isn't that bad either.

Jesseda
01-04-2012, 07:51 AM
lol every time i see that building the song " I said what about breakfast at tiffanys" pops in my mind. Love that building

Pete
01-05-2012, 09:19 AM
Some photos from about a month ago:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db2.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db3.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db4.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db5.jpg

Richard at Remax
01-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Website says opening Jan 30th

OKCisOK4me
01-05-2012, 03:56 PM
The Whataburger has been open since about Dec. 15th. They blew through that project!

circuitboard
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
The outside of the Tiffany building is so ugly, wish they would update it.

poe
01-05-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't think it looks too bad. Their logo has blue and orange, so I bet it will compliment the building when it's finished.

ljbab728
01-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I've never been to a Dave & Buster's before. Is this design typical?

shawnw
01-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I've been to several and none looked like that...

MDot
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM

I seen one in Columbus, OH a few months ago and it looked nothing like this. It looked like a super-sized whataburger.

metro
01-06-2012, 11:49 AM

I believe this is their newest look. Of course older existing stores won't look like it. This whole development was lost potential, but chill out, it's a good looking D&B and having one is good for our city in retaining the youth.

Dustin
01-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I might be in the minority but I love the color scheme and design of the building.

OKCisOK4me
01-06-2012, 01:27 PM
I might be in the minority but I love the color scheme and design of the building.

I agree. It is a bright spot on what used to be an empty ugly car lot for many years...

metro
01-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I love the design/scheme as well. I would have preferred it be more dense in a mixed-use dense development like that site is perfect for, but considering it's OKC and developers don't know what that means, it's a better looking faux suburban building, and one of the nicer looking D&B. Most of them are just tan EIFS.

MDot
01-06-2012, 01:50 PM

I agree. Some people made a big deal about it before I had seen it so I thought it was bad but when I seen it in person I actually liked it.

kevinpate
01-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't hate it, but it does sorta look like someone belched up a bit of Tetris screen taffy

Debzkidz
01-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I drove by a couple of days ago and when I just glanced at it while passing by, I thought it was just some kind of under layer or something that would be stuccoed over or something. I couldn't see the pattern in it. I had no idea that was the finished product. Yuk!

wyopoke
01-07-2012, 08:59 AM
If you look at the color scheme in place, it matches some of the other colors in the area. The county inn and suites was repaired recently and it has a similar yellow. The hampton and 3030 building have the same red. The crown plaza has what seems to be the same dark green. Must be something for the area??

Debzkidz
01-07-2012, 05:01 PM
It must be something about that area. Drove by again today and was noticing all the colors on the buildings. That Country Inn is horrible looking. What a hideous color. Some kind of dijon mustard nightmare!

Larry OKC
01-07-2012, 10:49 PM
The Country Inn isn't nearly as bad in person as some of the pics posted here indicate, it has nearly the same color palette as the Panera Bread down the street

ljbab728
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
The Country Inn isn't nearly as bad in person as some of the pics posted here indicate, it has nearly the same color palette as the Panera Bread down the street

Larry, I've seen it both close up and from afar. It's hideous. A ten story Panera Bread building doesn't do it.

Larry OKC
01-08-2012, 07:29 AM
ljbab728: I've seen it too, and like I said it isn't that bad at all. it isn't an exact match in color (the yellow does seem to have a slight greenish cast to it) but you can see it in the background of the first pic Pete posted and the same colors are present in the Dave & Busters building. Colors (and restraunts/food)are subjective you like it or you don't. Personally I am not a fan of the Whataburger orange either. LOL

Some photos from about a month ago:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/db1.jpg

bluedogok
01-08-2012, 08:12 AM
There are a lot of colors used in the popular palettes that I do not really like, including the week old dried mustard color that is used quite a bit. Mixed with many other colors like that location makes it a bit more appealing. I have only been to the newish D&B in Westminster but it was a drizzly night so I didn't really get to see what the outside looked. The one in South Denver is an older one right on I-25 but it looks huge from the outside. Before going to the one in Westminster the only location that I had been to was the Walnut Hill Lane location in Dallas, never went to the Austin one and I only worked a mile or so from it for 4 years.

soonerguru
01-11-2012, 12:47 PM
The design is so hideous my wife and I concluded it wasn't near completed. Unfortunately, this is the actual, dreadful design. It's so bad it's as if the architect / builder / designer hates OKC and is playing a cruel joke on us. Awful.

Developers in this town, with a couple of exceptions, have no pride or taste and appear to only care about money. Disgusting.

onthestrip
01-11-2012, 01:02 PM
Developers in this town, with a couple of exceptions, have no pride or taste and appear to only care about money. Disgusting.

Probably has more to do with D&B and less to do with the developer.