View Full Version : Dave & Buster's coming to OKC

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Pete
05-06-2011, 04:36 PM
Regardless of location -- and I'll agree that with this new development on a key corner, I hoped for better -- the last thing OKC needs is more fast food.

Yet, both those places will probably do well there, which is why they keep getting built.

kevinpate
05-06-2011, 05:57 PM
.oO(Yuppies play skee-ball and seek out bargain priced beef?)Oo.

Doug Loudenback
05-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Looking through some of the images at Dave & Buster's corporate website (http://www.daveandbusters.com/), Dave & Busters strikes me a something that would appeal to an adolescent audience or those just beyond that age level. But maybe that's just me being over the hill. Anyway, I doubt that I'll ever go there. Before that, I'd go to Whatabuger just to get a good burger. When dining out with friends or my spouse, I'd rather have good conversation (that I can actually hear) and good food (that I can actually enjoy eating) without all the commotion. Perhaps Dave & Busters has an old fogie room in which I would be more comfortable, but I doubt it.

metro
05-06-2011, 08:02 PM
.oO(Yuppies play skee-ball and seek out bargain priced beef?)Oo.

Let me clarify, the suburban minded, chain restaurant loving yuppies do, not the inner city local movement yuppies. So yes, you probably will see the state fair crowd there. And the food is on par with Chili's.

ljbab728
05-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Regardless of location -- and I'll agree that with this new development on a key corner, I hoped for better -- the last thing OKC needs is more fast food.

Yet, both those places will probably do well there, which is why they keep getting built.

Pete I guess we could go the route that LA has gone and outlaw new fastfood locations in some areas.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/07/30/us-food-ban-idUSCOL06846020080730

Short of that, I agree with you. Those companies do marketing surveys before deciding on locations and I'm sure they will do well there.

Easy180
07-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Looking through some of the images at Dave & Buster's corporate website (http://www.daveandbusters.com/), Dave & Busters strikes me a something that would appeal to an adolescent audience or those just beyond that age level. But maybe that's just me being over the hill. Anyway, I doubt that I'll ever go there. Before that, I'd go to Whatabuger just to get a good burger. When dining out with friends or my spouse, I'd rather have good conversation (that I can actually hear) and good food (that I can actually enjoy eating) without all the commotion. Perhaps Dave & Busters has an old fogie room in which I would be more comfortable, but I doubt it.

Usually their main bar area has a decent amount of tv's for sports and is relatively low key

Pete
07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
The development encompassing Dave &Buster's is being called May Crossing.

They've changed the site plan to show three fast food places instead of one plus a sit-down restaurant as had originally been indicated. And the hotel has been replaced by a strip center.

Building permits have be issued for D&B's, Jack in the Box, Whataburger and the strip center. DXL has pre-leased about half of the 21,899 square foot strip center -- it's a big & large men's clothing store. Right next to it is Sports Clips and on the other end is a dental clinic.

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/HttpHandlers/attachment/ServeAttachment.ashx?FileGuid=061166C3-2FE5-4E96-B5CC-D7E72E3D44D9&Extension=jpg&Width=631&Height=421&PadImage=true&DisableVisualWatermark=

http://www.loopnet.com/xnet/mainsite/HttpHandlers/attachment/ServeAttachment.ashx?FileGuid=CBDEEED3-A282-4A71-826F-503DF9939A76&Extension=JPG&Width=631&Height=421&PadImage=true&DisableVisualWatermark=

jbkrems
07-03-2011, 12:48 PM
Do we know what the sit-down restaurant is yet, or is it not leased ???

Pete
07-03-2011, 01:23 PM
The third restaurant has yet to be named.

Watson410
07-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Do we know what the sit-down restaurant is yet, or is it not leased ???

I thought they were going to replace the sit-down restaurant with another fast food restaurant.. I could have read it wrong or Pete is it two fast food places with one sit-down?

metro
07-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the update Pere, what a pretty underused and underwhelming use of what could have been a great mixed use project. Oh well, it beats the old car dealership.

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 12:24 AM
That will be nice to have 52nd run straight through to a new stop light. They are also cooperating with Target on moving their entrance/exit to the light. I think it will end up being good for the corner and I've heard scuttlebutt regarding the restaurant at the new center and a tenant for the old Borders across the street on NWX. Both sound very good.

mcca7596
07-04-2011, 12:27 AM
That will be strange to have 52nd run straight through. They are also cooperating with Target on moving their entrance/exit to what will be the "new" 52nd with a stop light. I think it will end up being good for the corner and I've heard scuttlebutt regarding the restaurant at the new center and a tenant for the old Borders across the street on NWX. Both sound very good.

Pray tell what you've heard :-)

Pete
07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
There have been rumors about In-n-Out being the third restaurant but in that diagram I don't see a drive-thru for Lot #3.

swilki
07-04-2011, 08:07 AM
There have been rumors about In-n-Out being the third restaurant but in that diagram I don't see a drive-thru for Lot #3.

As nice as it would be to have an In-n-Out that close to my office and home, I can't imagine having Jack in the Box and Whataburger in the same center. That would be way to many burger options IMO.

I am a little disappointed to see how this center is developing, nothing really special outside of Dave & Buster's. It could have been so much more, but as metro said, it sure beats Smicklas being there.

rcjunkie
07-04-2011, 12:56 PM
As nice as it would be to have an In-n-Out that close to my office and home, I can't imagine having Jack in the Box and Whataburger in the same center. That would be way to many burger options IMO.

I am a little disappointed to see how this center is developing, nothing really special outside of Dave & Buster's. It could have been so much more, but as metro said, it sure beats Smicklas being there.

Whataburger and Jack-In-The Box, need to add an In-n-Out or 5 Guys, that way all three main Arteries would be taken care of. LOL

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 03:02 PM
I have heard that Whataburger has been very successful with their new store rollouts after some trouble a few years back. Now over 700 locations. Out of those 700 stores, only a dozen are the original A-framed, orange-and-white striped roofed buildings. One of those is just south of NW 36th and May Ave.

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2963/whataburger.jpg

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/1056/whataburgerhomepage.jpg

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7103/whataburgerstore.jpg

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9245/whataburgerstore2.jpg

http://www.whataburger.com

bluedogok
07-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I have heard that Whataburger has been very successful with their new store rollouts after some trouble a few years back. Now over 700 locations. Out of those 700 stores, only a dozen are the original A-framed, orange-and-white striped roofed buildings. One of those is just south of NW 36th and May Ave.
The one on NW 36th & MacArthur is one of the A-frame stores.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9245/whataburgerstore2.jpg
That's the Whataburger on the Bay in Corpus Christi, pretty close to the original location. They moved their corporate HQ from Corpus to San Antonio a couple of years ago.

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 08:44 PM
The one on NW 36th & MacArthur is one of the A-frame stores.

That's the Whataburger on the Bay in Corpus Christi, pretty close to the original location. They moved their corporate HQ from Corpus to San Antonio a couple of years ago.

So, we have - at least - two of the dozen original A-frames left. I've seen a lot of the newer stores throughout the southeast and they are all very nice looking. The upgrade to NWX and May from 36th will be an improvement (with the new building and much better location). Those older stores though have been there forever - will be another change in the landscape to get used to. It's funny how something like a chain burger shop can become part of the fabric of a neighborhood, especially when they have out of the ordinary shapes, colors, logos, etc.

Larry OKC
07-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Seems unlikely but according to the manager at the May location, they are keeping it open. That may change once the new one opens and their business shifts north.

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Seems unlikely but according to the manager at the May location, they are keeping it open. That may change once the new one opens and their business shifts north.

No kidding? That would only be one mile apart. On the other hand, maybe they're hoping they can both be viable since the 36th street store is literally the last chain burger store on May southbound until the southside. Also very dense neighborhoods surrounding it. I hadn't even thought of them trying to operate both as a possibility. Interesting.

bluedogok
07-05-2011, 07:31 PM
So, we have - at least - two of the dozen original A-frames left. I've seen a lot of the newer stores throughout the southeast and they are all very nice looking. The upgrade to NWX and May from 36th will be an improvement (with the new building and much better location). Those older stores though have been there forever - will be another change in the landscape to get used to. It's funny how something like a chain burger shop can become part of the fabric of a neighborhood, especially when they have out of the ordinary shapes, colors, logos, etc.
I think the OKC locations were their first expansion outside of the state of Texas and the A-frame was still their base building at the time. I can't think of one of them left in the Austin area, there might be one or two on the northside but most of the ones that I can think of (and frequent) are pretty recent builds. I know the one in Port Aransas is a modified A-frame, it has the peaked roof but shed roofs to each side. I don't think it is one of the original A-frames like in OKC, the peak just doesn't seem as tall.

Larry OKC
07-05-2011, 08:57 PM
No kidding? That would only be one mile apart. On the other hand, maybe they're hoping they can both be viable since the 36th street store is literally the last chain burger store on May southbound until the southside. Also very dense neighborhoods surrounding it. I hadn't even thought of them trying to operate both as a possibility. Interesting.

I am skeptical too. The manager told me they were told at first that it was a "relocation" of the existing store but then decided that the existing one was too profitable (long since paid for). But there are ongoing maint issues with older buildings. All of that may change once the new one opens and their existing customers shift to the newer location. Time will tell.

As far as having locations very close by, it doesn't seem to bother places like McDonalds. Seems you have one at nearly every exit along I-40 once you get past the Fairgrounds (with 2 locations in some spots, a stand alone and one inside the Wal-Mart). Same along NW Expressway. I realize that the 2 aren't in the same category but the concept can work out.

oneforone
07-06-2011, 11:50 AM
I think it's pretty funny how a tall and fat clothing store is one of the main anchors of this shopping center. According to their website: http://www.destinationxl.com/ they sell size 38-64 in waist size and big sizes XL-7XL.

If you eat so much you split your pants at Dave & Busters, Whataburger or Jack n' The Box you can go head on up to DXL for new pants. I noticed they are part of the Casual Male family of stores. I wonder if that means they will close their store by Gold's on NW Expressway and Portland.

Larry OKC
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
Good observations...although they might keep the one next to Gold's Gym and just carry more stuff for big guys due to muscle instead of fat...LOL

Larry OKC
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I miss the old style I-HOPs that were in the A frame buildings too (the buildings are still all over town, most seem to be pawn shops), IHOP abandoned the Metro decades ago and then came back. Am sure it is because we have an NBA team now (I kid)

ljbab728
07-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I miss the old style I-HOPs that were in the A frame buildings too (the buildings are still all over town, most seem to be pawn shops), IHOP abandoned the Metro decades ago and then came back. Am sure it is because we have an NBA team now (I kid)

Another business that used A Frame construction frequently was Howard Johnson's.

Larry OKC
07-07-2011, 07:12 PM
true, I miss HoJos as well

warreng88
07-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Drove by the site on my way to work and it looks like they are putting up the west wall. Do we know if there is a construction cam for this site?

metro
07-15-2011, 02:01 PM
No, but we have lots of whataburger pics

sroberts24
07-27-2011, 08:36 AM
noticedlast week, thought somebody would have posted by now but there is a wall that has gone up on the area I beleive the plans show for D&B. Anybody know if this is one of D&B's walls?

Pete
07-27-2011, 08:50 AM
Dave & Busters will be on the far north end, closest to NW Expressway. If that is where the wall is going up, it's gotta be for D&B's.

Also, there is a strip center going up south of there as part of the same development, so it could be for that instead.

sroberts24
07-27-2011, 09:10 AM
it is the far northwest side

Pete
07-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Here is a recent photo. The wall is certainly for D&B's:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters72711.jpg

warreng88
07-27-2011, 03:33 PM
noticedlast week, thought somebody would have posted by now but there is a wall that has gone up on the area I beleive the plans show for D&B. Anybody know if this is one of D&B's walls?

Look two posts up...

Pete
08-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Photo from today... They are moving right along:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters8111.jpg

CCOKC
08-02-2011, 10:41 PM
That's crazy. It's seems like it took forever to grade that lot and I go out of town for a week and half of the walls are up. I will have to get a closer look when I go to Target tomorrow.

bombermwc
08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
I wonder how long it's going to take to put in electrical in this place. Don't you know that guy is going to have a LOT of work cut out for him with all those games!

Pete
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Photo from today:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters81511.jpg

MikeOKC
08-26-2011, 12:36 AM
The pace has really picked up at the construction site. Construction of the new Target entrance has begun and has northbound traffic is narrowed to one lane. The Target entrance is being moved just a tad north to meet up with the "new" 52nd street which will have a light at 52nd & May to enter/exit Target or enter/exit the new retail complex.

metro
08-26-2011, 08:46 AM
They really need to replace the May Ave. Bridge. It's old, bad design and really deteriorating. I love the look of it, but with this new light, traffic on that stretch of May is going to be a bigger pain. On the northbound lanes on May at the light on 50th, is probably the worst paved road in OKC, worse than 10th and Portland area. May really needs to be widened through there with flyovers off of NWE.

OKCisOK4me
08-26-2011, 09:28 AM
IMO, May & Expressway needs to be totally redone. A new bridgedeck, yes, but the space is not large enough for flyovers. So if anything, it needs to be a fully functional street level intersection. Right now, its worse than the clover leafs at 235/44!

NWOKCGuy
08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Didn't they just redo it a few years ago?

OKCisOK4me
08-26-2011, 10:34 AM
No, that was landscaping and widening the creek that goes right there under May Avenue. The bridge is still decrepit.

swilki
08-26-2011, 02:39 PM
I would hate to see them put in an actual intersection at NW Expressway and May. I drive through there everyday on my way to work, the traffic backup would pretty bad. That one stretch from Independence to Villa is really the only part of the NW Expressway that truly makes it into an expressway. The rest of the it is riddled with stop lights that are horribly timed. Space would be really cramped if they did fly overs, but it may work. But yes, something does need to be done with that bridge, it's like a mini crosstown bridge.

cjohnson.405
08-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Looks like they have 3 of the four side walls and roof up. My new office is in the New York Life Building and I overlook part of D&B.

I can continue providing updates every once in awhile.

MikeOKC
08-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Looks like they have 3 of the four side walls and roof up. My new office is in the New York Life Building and I overlook part of D&B.

I can continue providing updates every once in awhile.

Can you snap a phone pic maybe? I drive by there all the time and will try to do the same. Your view from up in New York Life would be interesting.

warreng88
08-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Went to Target today. Looks like they are making way for a new main entrance into the Target directly across the street from the entrance on May to the Dave & Busters area. I assume a light will be put in there.

MikeOKC
08-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Went to Target today. Looks like they are making way for a new main entrance into the Target directly across the street from the entrance on May to the Dave & Busters area. I assume a light will be put in there.

Hi Warren...See my post #199 from yesterday.

warreng88
08-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Hi Warren...See my post #199 from yesterday.

My bad. Didn't look back a page.

Pete
08-29-2011, 09:09 AM
They are certainly moving right along:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters829.jpg

onthestrip
08-29-2011, 09:50 AM
Nice! I'll be enjoying some beers and video games in no time.

pw405
09-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Any new photos of the progress? Have they announced a time frame for opening? I'm thinking Q1 2012?

mcca7596
09-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Says on their website December of this year.

adaniel
09-14-2011, 02:43 PM
On a slightly off topic note, are there any plans by the city or ODOT to fix that nasty interchange at May and NWX?

OKCisOK4me
09-14-2011, 03:39 PM
On a slightly off topic note, are there any plans by the city or ODOT to fix that nasty interchange at May and NWX?

No and the topic has already been hashed to death. Sorry, I don't remember what page but I believe it was somewhere in this thread...

onthestrip
09-14-2011, 04:56 PM

I hOnostly don't see a problem with it. I prefer the clover leaf interchange rather than another stop light. Clover leaf interchange at I44 and Broadway ext is a bad idea but don't see any problem with it at may and nw expressway.

adaniel
09-14-2011, 05:33 PM
I hOnostly don't see a problem with it. I prefer the clover leaf interchange rather than another stop light. Clover leaf interchange at I44 and Broadway ext is a bad idea but don't see any problem with it at may and nw expressway.

Sorry I posted that question before I saw the same issue rasied. I don't have a problem with the interchange per say, but the on ramps are way too short. The absolute worst is when you get behind some grampa who is too afraid to step on the gas and merge so they have to wait for ALL of the traffic to clear.

Also, last week I was in a friends car with a convertible top. we drove underneath the bridge going SE on NWX and just for kicks I looked up at the underneath portion. I'm no structural engineer but that thing looks bad.

soonerguru
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM
Sorry I posted that question before I saw the same issue rasied. I don't have a problem with the interchange per say, but the on ramps are way too short. The absolute worst is when you get behind some grampa who is too afraid to step on the gas and merge so they have to wait for ALL of the traffic to clear.

Also, last week I was in a friends car with a convertible top. we drove underneath the bridge going SE on NWX and just for kicks I looked up at the underneath portion. I'm no structural engineer but that thing looks bad.

You may not be a structural engineer, but I'm related to one, and according to my relative, that's one of the worst bridges in the entire state.

Pete
09-26-2011, 09:44 AM
From today. Second photo is of Whataburger / Jack in the Box sites:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters92611.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/davebusters92611b.jpg