View Full Version : Okc #2 Best Places for Retirement

okclee
12-07-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.military.com/finance/usaa-best-places-to-retire/2010/oklahoma-city-ok.html
http://www.realtor.org/RMODaily.nsf/pages/News2010120702?OpenDocument

10 Best Places for Military Families to Retire
Military.com examined 379 major U.S. metropolitan areas to identify the 10 best places for service members to retire.

There were approximately 2 million military retirees as of 2009. The average of retirement age for enlisted service members is 42 and 46 for officers. Factors that make a retirement locale appealing include:
· Proximity to a military base with good amenities and a VA hospital.
· How the state taxes a military pension.
· Educational opportunities and other quality-of-life issues.

Military.com selected these 10 cities as most attractive:

1. Waco, Texas
2. Oklahoma City, Okla.
3. Austin, Texas
4. College Station, Texas
5. Harrisburg, Pa.
6. San Angelo, Texas
7. Madison, Wis.
8. Pittsburgh
9. New Orleans
10. Syracuse, N.Y.

Source: Military.com (12/06/2010)

#2 Oklahoma City, OK

Population: 1,215,611
Military Installation: Tinker AFB
Median Home Price: $128,000

Oklahoma City also has much to offer the military retiree. Homes are affordable and the economy is solid, even in these challenging times. The nearby city of Norman is home to the University of Oklahoma, with many educational, recreational and cultural resources. Tinker Air Force Base is located within the metro area offering a large commissary and exchange, plus there is a VA hospital center located in Oklahoma City. However, Oklahoma is the only state in our list of top ten places which taxes federal pensions

PennyQuilts
12-07-2010, 02:27 PM
Makes sense to me! At least about Oklahoma.

jmarkross
12-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I came back here for that reason. Only caveat about retiring in Oklahoma...if you are not FROM OKLAHOMA...you will probably never quite understand how it operates...

Fastfwd
12-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Yeah, that whole not giving a **** about the United States Constitution/Bill of Rights might take some getting used to for out of state military people. The desperation here for political favor at any cost – including ****ting on the Bill of Rights/14th Amendment might take a little adjustment…….but boy houses sure are cheap if you don’t mind your neighbors being granted ‘authority’ to eavesdrop and spy on your bedroom activities and whatever else you might choose to do in your cheap ass Oklahoma house……

I wonder if the other cities on the list that may have more regard for the sacrifices of those military retirees and have an interest in luring their residency are fully aware of Oklahoma’s disregard for the United States Constitution?

I’d damn sure hate to see them have motivation to spread the word on how Okies regard the rights and freedoms the military is supposed to take oath to uphold and protect.

skyrick
12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah, that whole not giving a **** about the United States Constitution/Bill of Rights might take some getting used to for out of state military people. The desperation here for political favor at any cost – including ****ting on the Bill of Rights/14th Amendment might take a little adjustment…….but boy houses sure are cheap if you don’t mind your neighbors being granted ‘authority’ to eavesdrop and spy on your bedroom activities and whatever else you might choose to do in your cheap ass Oklahoma house……

I wonder if the other cities on the list that may have more regard for the sacrifices of those military retirees and have an interest in luring their residency are fully aware of Oklahoma’s disregard for the United States Constitution?

I’d damn sure hate to see them have motivation to spread the word on how Okies regard the rights and freedoms the military is supposed to take oath to uphold and protect.

Forgot to take your meds again, huh?