View Full Version : Strange Noise in Downtown this evening?

mheaton76
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
So, I'm in my apartment in Midtown, about 10 pm, and am hearing a low level, persistent humming sound coming from outside. It's unusual to have any sound from the outside at all make it into my apartment.

It sounds like it may be construction noise, but I can't imagine that it's the Devon construction. There's also a spotlight on top of the BOK building that I don't think has been there before....Odd.

Am I the only one hearing it? Anybody have any have any ideas what it might be?

brianinok
12-06-2010, 10:03 PM
Aliens.

betts
12-07-2010, 05:21 AM
When I hear a low level humming, it's usually followed closely by a train whistle. I've noticed some new noises recently because of the Sandridge demolition, but I don't think they're working at night. I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary last night.

PennyQuilts
12-07-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm not DT so this may not apply but we hear a ton of new sounds once the leaves drop.

kevinpate
12-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I'm not DT so this may not apply but we hear a ton of new sounds once the leaves drop.

heavy leaves
8^)

mheaton, not sure how far you are from Devon, but as they get higher, perhaps equipment sounds higher up in the structure are involved

jmarkross
12-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Echoing sounds bouncing off the walls of the alabaster asparagus of the city?... :)

adaniel
12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
I work in Midtown. I know that both yesterday and now they have been doing some sort of work (maybe pressure washing) at the St Anthony's parking garage at NW 11th and Lee. Although that may not be what your heard since I find it pretty odd they would be working that late. Leaving work yesterday it looked like it was snowing in my parking lot because so much gunk and dust from that garage was blowing over to us.

metro
12-07-2010, 08:48 AM
I live just a few blocks from you in MidTown, didn't hear anything.

mheaton76
12-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Aliens.

I'll go with aliens for now. :LolLolLol

metro
12-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Santa testing out his jet powered sleigh?

dwellsokc
12-08-2010, 05:10 AM
The noise, the incessant hum, is coming from the Land-O-Lakes/Purina processing plant located on the SW corner of NW 4th St. & Western Ave. I have hiked all over Midtown at 3:00AM on more than one occasion attempting to identify the source. Upon identifying it, I wrote several complaints to the company’s COO in Wisconsin, who dismissed me as being a schizoid. The local plant manager is willing to help, though has no authority to actually eliminate the noise. His name is Lee Little: 822-7765. The Plant’s number is 232-6171.

Many of my neighbors in SoSA have mentioned that the noise bothers them too, but they haven’t formally complained… Maybe we need to circulate a petition or something that convinces Wisconsin that we’re not all nuts…

kawititnow
12-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Not to get all scientific or anything, but I've often noticed that I can hear things better (i.e. trains, etc.) in the winter and this is why:

Usually energy in the form of sound waves travels upward and is dispersed. That’s why we don’t hear sounds more than about six miles away. (By the way, this is also why we don’t hear thunder from far away lightning.) On cold winter nights there is often a temperature inversion, with a layer of warm air above and cold air trapped near the ground. That inversion also traps the sound waves near the ground and allows them to travel horizontally much farther than usual. That’s why you hear a train better on a cold night!

Here's a USA Today article that explains the phenomenon better (if your interested): http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resources/basics/sound-refraction.htm

mheaton76
12-08-2010, 09:23 AM
The noise, the incessant hum, is coming from the Land-O-Lakes/Purina processing plant located on the SW corner of NW 4th St. & Western Ave. I have hiked all over Midtown at 3:00AM on more than one occasion attempting to identify the source. Upon identifying it, I wrote several complaints to the company’s COO in Wisconsin, who dismissed me as being a schizoid. The local plant manager is willing to help, though has no authority to actually eliminate the noise. His name is Lee Little: 822-7765. The Plant’s number is 232-6171.

That has to be it! Keep me posted by PM if you get a petition going.

dwellsokc
12-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Yes... the noise is more bothersome during cold weather. Thanks for the physics lesson... I often wondered why that was so.

The issue is exasperated by the frequency of the hum. It is very low and resonate. It passes through all wall materials, and can't be blocked by ear plugs. It seems to be focused in several directions, with many interspersing dead zones. As you walk the neighborhood, the hum will completely die, then return by moving only a few steps. It is inaudible at my front door, but rattles teeth in my bedroom. (I'm sure this is why the COO suggested I was schizoid.)

It is clearly being generated by some sort of rotating equipment. According to my investigations, the equipment is designed to operate 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I would think that some combination of dampening and shielding would help reduce the offensiveness of this noise... More of us will have to complain before they think about addressing the issue.

ck76
12-08-2010, 09:39 AM
IF yall want to here some weird noises, hang out around draper lake after midnight,,,I've heard stuff out there that will make your skin crawl.

kevinpate
12-08-2010, 10:22 AM
IF yall want to here some weird noises, hang out around draper lake after midnight,,,I've heard stuff out there that will make your skin crawl.

such as?