View Full Version : NW 36th and I-44 - new motel?

xrayman
03-10-2005, 05:03 PM
Does anybody know what's going up at the NW 36th street exit off I-44? Clearly it's a new motel, but does anyone know what it's going to be? Looks like maybe a Holiday Inn Express or maybe a Comfort Inn? Just guessing though.

metro
03-10-2005, 09:24 PM
FYI, its another one of those extended stay hotels, it was advertised last year and also discussed on OKCTalk months back, I forget the name of it though.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Great. More hotels south of Belle Isle. Now I can be happy in life (sarcastic).

xrayman
03-10-2005, 10:47 PM
I can't find that old thread and I'm really curious. Maybe Crosslands....a property of Extended Stay America, Inc.?

Jay
03-11-2005, 01:09 AM
I was thinking it was a best western.......I could be wrong.

mranderson
03-11-2005, 06:35 AM
I drive past this site on my home from work, and probably will throughout the construction of this motel. Yesterday, I took a closer look. I think it will be a Holiday Inn.

Patrick
03-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey guys, I'll try to look for the thread, but I think Holiday Inn is correct. I kind of question the location though. First off, it's right next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. Second, access to that property is difficult, west bound especially. If you don't get off on May Ave, you're next turn off on I-44 is NW 23rd St. East bound is a little easier...you can get off on either NW 36th St. or May Ave.

Patrick
03-11-2005, 11:42 PM
Hey guys, I dound the ink to the article. It was in the Oklahoman back in September 2004. Here's the link to the thread:
http://www.okctalk.com/t403-new-hotel-chain-coming-to-city.html

The chain is Value Place Extended Stay Hotels. It's owned by Jack Deboer, the owner of Candlewood Suites.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-11-2005, 11:45 PM
Isn't that what someone said at the top of this thread?

Patrick
03-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Read my second post.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-11-2005, 11:50 PM
K. I think I better check their webpage to see if they are building any more hotels in OKC.

Patrick
03-11-2005, 11:54 PM
I believe the article said they're building 3 of these extended-type hotels in the metro area....1 in Del City, 1 on the south side, and the one at NW 36th and I-44.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-11-2005, 11:56 PM
Moore- right?

xrayman
03-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Uh oh.....just what we need....$149 a week.
http://www.myvalueplace.com/index.html
These cheapie places are more like housing than hotels.
If you've seen an Intown Suites, you've seen somthing very similar.

Patrick
03-12-2005, 12:26 AM
Moore- right?

I haven't been down there, but the south location was supposed to be at I-240 and Sunnylane.

Jay
03-12-2005, 02:46 AM
Nice.........sounds like the kind of hotel/motel for deadbeats and Illegal activty. I am sure every police department will welcome these places to thier community.

The website makes it sound like its just so hard to rent an apartment. Oh gee first and last months and rent and security deposits are just so hard to come by.

Well I guess maybe its hard to come by when a crack rock and a 40 are more important then paying OG&E.

russellc
03-12-2005, 08:23 AM
soonergrad - The new hotel in Moore will be a La Quinta at the Riverwalk Shopping center behind Burger King.

Sooner&RiceGrad
03-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Oh thats right. Now I remember, isn't it just south of the new Fire Mountain?

Anyway, thanks for that info.

Also, just call me either Grad or Nick. I get kindo toughy when people leave out Rice. Thanks.

HOT ROD
03-12-2005, 10:16 PM
I think the hotel is more for executives and travelers who are on a budget. Many companies are cutting back on expenses now-a-days, and many execs want a more independent, self serve hotel that is close to their destination. There are not many hotels in the SE Oklahoma City area (aside from Crossroads) however there are many manufacturing plants and facilities that business people need to visit.

While I, for one, would rather stay at a 4 diamond hotel in downtown OKC, you can not argue with the marginal cost improvement of staying at the newer no service hotels - especially for extended stays.

Keep in mind, most major cities around the nation have tons of these hotels, and the crative class you guys are trying to attract happens to be attracted to these type of hotels. So dont just think that low life people will stay there!

It provides yet another hostelling option for the growing metropolis of Oklahoma City and its rather booming SE side!

[see, doesnt that sound much better than calling them a dump and further putting down OKC?] Continue the Renaissance.

Patrick
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM
What concerns me is that several of the motels in the area, along Route 66 (39th St), are used by low income people who can't qualify for an apartment. Carlisle and Arcadian Inn are good examples.

Also, I still question the location, next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel next to a correctional facility, where inmates are freely roaming the ground unretrained!

xrayman
03-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Also, I still question the location, next to Kate Bernard Correctional Facility. I wouldn't want to stay at a hotel next to a correctional facility, where inmates are freely roaming the ground unretrained!
I agree, Patrick. It doesn't seem to be the greatest location for a motel. Can you imagine asking where the post office is? "Just take a right out of our parking lot, pass the correctional facility and....."

Jay
03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
I don't think any high class clintel will be using this hotel. I think its just a low rent housing option for the area. The prisoners and their familes will be using this place more frequently than the travlers.

If you don't believe me drive by the one on I-40 and Scott Street. There is nothing fancy about this place.

There are better extended stay hotel options in OKC than these places.

metro
03-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I think the hotel is more for executives and travelers who are on a budget. Many companies are cutting back on expenses now-a-days, and many execs want a more independent, self serve hotel that is close to their destination.

Indeed, this is what the place is designed for and will attract the majority of travelers despite is odd location. A few days ago, the Oklahoman mentioned it will be re-aligning the 39th and 36th street exits this year. Also despite the odd location next to the correctional facility. This area is starting to boom with the new home depot and the car lot. Alot of those old properties are starting to come down.

xrayman
03-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Indeed, this is what the place is designed for and will attract the majority of travelers despite is odd location. A few days ago, the Oklahoman mentioned it will be re-aligning the 39th and 36th street exits this year. Also despite the odd location next to the correctional facility. This area is starting to boom with the new home depot and the car lot. Alot of those old properties are starting to come down.
You just nailed it. The whole area around 39th and North May is getting ready to explode with the new Lowes and several other big boxes looking at the area. I have been told that the current owners of the center at 36th and May are looking at razing the whole thing and rebuilding. The current strip center, with an empty K-Mart, faces the south which would put the back doors at the Lowes. Starting over would enable them to rebuild the strip center, or sell it off to a couple of big boxes. It's all a good thing, the area is due for an upgrade. It will be nice to see more than check-cashing facilities opening in that area. (Sad, but true.)

Patrick
03-16-2005, 11:55 PM
That's actually been a pretty decent area for retail in the past. The Builder's Square there at 36th and May did well for many years, until Home Depot came into the picture and offered much better service. Also, Dub Richardson Ford and Lynn Hickey Dodge did great business there for many years.

I only hope that the tradition continues.

Lowes should do well there. The closest home improvement store is Home Depot at NW 59th and May, quite a ways away.

Also, David Stanley Ford is already doing well on that corner.

I do think razing the whole strip center at NW 36th and May would be a good idea. Having a new center face towards May Ave, to go along with Lowes would be a better use of the land.

xrayman
03-17-2005, 01:10 AM
Just so everyone understands exactly what's happening on that corner.....

The new Lowes will be going in on the present site of David Stanley Ford. Stanley is building a brand new state-of-the-art dealership on the SE corner of 39th and May. As soon as Stanley makes the move - Lowes begins construction on the SW corner. Lowes and David Stanley reached that agreement to allow for a seamless transition for the dealership. The strip center on the NW corner of 36th and May is considering a razing that would include tearing down the old site of Builders Square and K-Mart. They could then build a new center facing North or East or even an L along the South and West that would face the new Lowes and David Stanley dealership. That would obviously be a boon to traffic for the center and attract higher quality tenants. The other option for the current center is to clear off the buildings and sell the land to interested big boxes (and from what I understand, there are several). The general retail area south of 39th down May has declined dramatically in the last few years. The new retail/service locales being a Family Dollar and two check cashing outlets. This has the potential to change all of that in a hurry.

bmrsnr
03-19-2005, 09:00 PM
Still somewhat on the topic of hotel building, does anyone know when construction is due to start on the new John Q. Hammons Embassy Suites downtown? I was reading an article that said construction was due to start in the summer of 2004 and that it was slated for a January 2006 opening. However, it's clear to all that nothing has been done yet. Just wondering if anyone had any idea if plans were still on for this site and if so, when the ball was gonna get rolling?

Jay
03-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I would think it will start at anytime. If I remember right the Courtyard next to the Ford Center started construction in spring of 03. Then they opened it in January of 04.

The weather needs to warm up a little before they can start setting the foundation. That would be my guess.

xrayman
03-20-2005, 02:13 AM
Is Hammons still building? The John Q. Hammons company is actively on the block and is soliciting offers for purchase. I thought all projects were on hold. Am I wrong?

metro
03-20-2005, 11:38 AM
To my recent recollection, I believe construction is going to start by June. If you go to Lowerbricktown.com it still has it on the drawing board.

Patrick
03-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Hey guys, any change in the John Q. Hammons company wouldn't affect this. Hammons hasn't even completely decided whether he's going to sell the company or not. He's already turned down a few offers.

Anyways, Hammons already has the deed to the property, and has delayed construction for development to mature along the canal, and for the parking issue with the Redhawks to clear up...he's wanting to build a parking garage on the Redhawks lot!

Anyways, his plans are now to start construction Summer 2005, and be completed early Spring 2006. That's the last I've heard!

soonerguru
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
I have heard from a Hammonds employee that the issue is a little more complicated than that.

Hammons has a publically held company and a privately held company. He wants to utilize the private company to build the Embassy.

The problem is he doesn't have enough liquid in the private company to build. That is why he is entertaining offers to sell off his holdings in the public company.

I'm guessing he'll be able to pull it off is he wants to, but the person I spoke to said the whole deal is 50/50 at this point.

workman45
03-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm looking foreward to the Lowes and other improvements. It'll be nice to have something close for a change.

Patrick
03-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the update soonerguru. If he doesn't sell the public portion he always has the option of using his public company to build the hotel, as he did with the Renaissance and Courtyard, right?

Regardless, I don't think we'll have a hard time finding a hotel developer for that site, even if Hammons pulls out and puts his land up for sale. Bass Pro is a drawing card and I'm sure Hammons has plenty of connections!