View Full Version : Most 'Must See' Street in Oklahoma City

Kerry
12-06-2010, 10:01 AM
I am still wondering what the name of the new boulevard is going to be and while doing a little a research on famous street names and their origins I came across an intersting question: What is the "must see" street in your city?

http://famousroads.com/2007/06/16/what-is-the-must-visit-street-in-your-city/

jaccho asked:

New Orleans has Canal St. and Bourbon St.; Memphis has Beale St., New York has Broadway, Atlanta has Peachtree St. What are some other world famous streets in your city?

What is the most 'must see' street in Oklahoma City. When I lived in Oklahoma in the early '80s it was Meridian Ave. Later it became Northwest Expwy. What is it today and why? Would it be Sheridan Ave (Devon, Cox, Renaissance Hotel, Bricktown)?

I can't begin to tell you if Jacksonville even has a 'must see' street. I guess since I don't know that means it doesn't. In Tampa it was Bayshore/Channelside Drive. When friends and family came to town and wanted to 'see' Tampa that is where we took them. East 7th Ave was a close second.

jmarkross
12-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Something with a Gaylord in it...

circuitboard
12-06-2010, 10:56 AM
Broadway?

G.Walker
12-06-2010, 11:08 AM
Possible new boulevard names:

Cornett Blvd. (lol)
Oklahoma Blvd.
Myriad Blvd.
Rose Rock Blvd.
River Front Blvd.

circuitboard
12-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Skyline Blvd
Tower Blvd
City Blvd
Core Blvd

Stew
12-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Grand Blvd as a whole. (north and south)

Kerry
12-06-2010, 11:37 AM
We can talk about possible names if you like but I would also like to know 'the street' in OKC.

As for the new street name - I don't want it named after any single person. I actually hate anything named after someone who became famous via an elected office (it should be illegal in my opinion - they spend other people's money and then take credit for it - shameless!). Ron Norrick should have said Thanks, but No Thanks when they named the library after him. OK - rant over.

I have toyed with several names but none of them capture the essence of what this new road means or what OKC embodies. That is why I was interested in the origins of other famous street names. Right now I am toying with the word 'Energy'. Granted OKC has several energy companies but the city itself is also full of energy and the city and state were founded during a boom.

Energy Ave
Energy Place
Energy Drive
or just plain Energy.

The name needs to allow development to play off of it. A residential tower could be called Residence at Energy, while a speculative office building could be Energy Tower. No one is going to live in the Ronald J. Norrick Memorial Residential Tower or go shopping at the Cornett Center

G.Walker
12-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I personally like Myriad Blvd., since it will be close to Myriad gardens, and a residential condo called Myriad Place rings a bell. The name Myriad has a long history in Oklahoma City....

Kerry
12-06-2010, 12:13 PM
I personally like Myriad Blvd., since it will be close to Myriad gardens, and a residential condo called Myriad Place rings a bell. The name Myriad has a long history in Oklahoma City....

That's not bad, not bad at all.

Does anyone know how the Myriad Convention Center got its name? Was it simply a dictionary use of the word or is there another reason?

metro
12-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Must see in OKC.

Shartel Ave from NW 50th to Downtown
Robinson from NW 36th to Downtown.

scootinger
12-06-2010, 01:47 PM
Northwest Expressway? Because miles upon miles of generic suburban sprawl is really that tour-worthy?

Spartan
12-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I've always thought of Walker as the true architectural axis of OKC, from NW 50th to SW Grand Blvd.

I'm hoping the new boulevard is not any of the above names. I've always hoped for something commemorating Ralph Ellison, an underrepresented local icon. Ellison Avenue? Ellison Boulevard? Maybe something to do with the park it will be adjacent to? Commons Boulevard? Park Boulevard? (Park Ave is already taken) Festival Boulevard?

Bunty
12-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Classen Blvd. for the history in the area as in the gold dome, along with some interesting side trips, such as the Paseo.

Kerry
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Northwest Expressway? Because miles upon miles of generic suburban sprawl is really that tour-worthy?

Back in the early 80's Northwest Expwy was were everything new was being built. Memorial was still a 2 lane road back then, the Kilpatrick didn't exist, and no Lake Hefner Parkway (in fact, what would become LHP ended south of Baptist Hospital and there was a traffic light at NWExp. All the new office buildings, restaurants, apartments, upscale subdivsions, and power shopping centers were on NWExp. It was "the"
road in OKC during it heyday.

Spartan
12-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Classen Blvd. for the history in the area as in the gold dome, along with some interesting side trips, such as the Paseo.

Oh man, Classen needs work almost more than any other street.

bornhere
12-06-2010, 08:10 PM
I can't believe that anyone thought Meridian was a 'must see' street.

leprechaun
12-06-2010, 08:34 PM
We have some great short stretches of streets, but most of them cease to be interesting outside of about a 1/4 of a mile. That is part of our problem, there's no main drag that will impress somebody from out of state. I don't really picture the boulevard as becoming the stretch that you take somebody from out of town anytime soon after it is built. There isn't much existing development in the new boulevard area which is significant that I know of. It is usually the older areas that are worth driving through. I would probably take somebody to The Paseo, head down to the Plaza District, and then work my downtown.

skyrick
12-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Back in the early 80's Northwest Expwy was were everything new was being built. Memorial was still a 2 lane road back then, the Kilpatrick didn't exist, and no Lake Hefner Parkway (in fact, what would become LHP ended south of Baptist Hospital and there was a traffic light at NWExp. All the new office buildings, restaurants, apartments, upscale subdivsions, and power shopping centers were on NWExp. It was "the"
road in OKC during it heyday.

In the 80s it was, and still is, an ugly 5 mile long strip center

ljbab728
12-06-2010, 11:40 PM

Does anyone know how the Myriad Convention Center got its name? Was it simply a dictionary use of the word or is there another reason?

It was totally a dictionary use of the name. That was back before we had corporate names for arenas. A similar name was the Omni in Atlanta.

Larry OKC
12-07-2010, 01:42 AM

The Convention Center's site gives credence to that theory:

A NEW ERA - back to top
In 1972, the Myriad became the heart of the new downtown. It offered facilities to fit every need. Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary defines the word myriad as both numerous and diverse; an appropriate name for the multi-purpose venue offering such an expansive variety of events and facilities.
Wikipedia says it was part of the Pei Plan so Steve or Doug may have more definitive info...

Kerry
12-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks Larry and ljbab728 - that is what I thought but I didn't know if it was like the Conncourse (the tunnels under and over OKC) which is a concourse named after Jack Conn. One name -two meanings.

kevinpate
12-07-2010, 07:58 AM

nah, it's not ugly now ... it's down to fugly, at best

Kerry
12-07-2010, 08:39 AM

Remember that in 20 years when Memorial becomes the new NWExpwy, and there is a new Memorial 5 miles further out. It is kind of like chasing a rainbow. The best strategy is not to start.

metro
12-07-2010, 08:46 AM
I've always thought of Walker as the true architectural axis of OKC, from NW 50th to SW Grand Blvd.

I'm hoping the new boulevard is not any of the above names. I've always hoped for something commemorating Ralph Ellison, an underrepresented local icon. Ellison Avenue? Ellison Boulevard? Maybe something to do with the park it will be adjacent to? Commons Boulevard? Park Boulevard? (Park Ave is already taken) Festival Boulevard?

Architects are touting Harvey as the true architectural axis of OKC. That is what everything is based on from the National Memorial to C2S Park south of the river, no to mention, it's still a nice street further north into Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Uptown, Paseo, etc. as well as to the south through Capitol Hill.

Kerry
12-07-2010, 09:12 AM
OK, let's try this from a different perspective. You go to city X and you only have five minutes, what street do you go to?

Miami - Ocean Drive
Chicago - Michigan Ave
New Orleans - Canal Street
London - Oxford St
San Fran - Lombard St
New York City - Broadway
OKC - ?

I still think it is Sheridan.

metro
12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
OK, let's try this from a different perspective. You go to city X and you only have five minutes, what street do you go to?

Miami - Ocean Drive
Chicago - Michigan Ave
New Orleans - Canal Street
London - Oxford St
San Fran - Lombard St
New York City - Broadway
OKC - ?

I still think it is Sheridan.

Forget those, Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly is the best in the U.S. in my opinion and the founding forefathers and freemasons designed it that way.

http://www.chss.iup.edu/kpatrick/Phila-AC/18.3,%20Philadelphia,%20PA,%20B%20Franklin%20Parkw ay,%20City%20Hall,%20Dec%202006.jpg

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles21437.jpg

http://img2.photographersdirect.com/img/21621/wm/pd1386753.jpg

krisb
12-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Tulsa = Boston Avenue...for sure!

Spartan
12-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Architects are touting Harvey as the true architectural axis of OKC. That is what everything is based on from the National Memorial to C2S Park south of the river, no to mention, it's still a nice street further north into Heritage Hills, Mesta Park, Uptown, Paseo, etc. as well as to the south through Capitol Hill.

Well it just happens to be the street that most evenly bisects the C2S park. Don't think it has too much really to do with existing architectural heritage.

Spartan
12-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Forget those, Benjamin Franklin Parkway in Philly is the best in the U.S. in my opinion and the founding forefathers and freemasons designed it that way.

http://www.chss.iup.edu/kpatrick/Phila-AC/18.3,%20Philadelphia,%20PA,%20B%20Franklin%20Parkw ay,%20City%20Hall,%20Dec%202006.jpg

Has nothing on Sheridan. Or Meridian.

OKCTalker
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Remember when the Myriad was referred to as "The Incomparable Myriad?" (Immediately followed by smirks and eye rolls.) Was that an official name or something that was always tongue-in-cheek?

Kerry
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Remember when the Myriad was referred to as "The Incomparable Myriad?" (Immediately followed by smirks and eye rolls.) Was that an official name or something that was always tongue-in-cheek?

I remember that. I think the funny part is what that actually means in dictionary terms.

Metro - what do you do on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway?

metro
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Kerry, what do you mean what I do on the BFP? It's Philly's main boulevard although they have several. Talk about a master planned city, beautiful. I walked Ben Franklin Parkway for several miles, beautiful architecture the entire length. I also rode a double decker tour bus along it as well as run up the steps of the Philadephia Museum of Art (pictured in 2nd pic above) (FYI these are the same steps Rocky ran up in the movie). Next to it is a Rocky Statue. Took my picture there. Behind the museum is Philly's 150+ year old Boathouse Row, on the Schuylkill River. The images posted are pulled off Google Images, I took some pretty nice pics when I was there. I'll have to dig them up and post sometime.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5yT-HGxp5uo/TAFxbdydcrI/AAAAAAAADjI/0hiIVDA3JC4/s1600/BoatHouseRow2+(1+of+1).jpg

skyrick
12-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Remember that in 20 years when Memorial becomes the new NWExpwy, and there is a new Memorial 5 miles further out. It is kind of like chasing a rainbow. The best strategy is not to start.

Memorial is already ugly. Shopping does not equal "must see", unless you're from Dallas or LA.

The best responses to the OP's question have come from Metro (post # 10) and leprechaun's last sentence in Post # 17.

Spartan
12-07-2010, 04:17 PM

I think that was from promotional material that OKC was using to promote itself at the time.

Kerry
12-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Kerry, what do you mean what I do on the BFP? It's Philly's main boulevard although they have several.

Sorry, I thought the section you were talking about was the part in the photos that goes through a park like setting. I could see where the part south of Logan Circle has a lot more to do when you are on foot. BTW - Love the flags.

BTW - I just took a quick Google Earth tour of Walnut Street in Philly. Really really nice.

CuatrodeMayo
12-08-2010, 03:21 PM
The new boulevard should be named Division, many old towns and cities throughout the state have a Division Street.

Kerry
12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
The new boulevard should be named Division, many old towns and cities throughout the state have a Division Street.

Is this so we will know where the 'my part of town is better than your part of town" line is drawn? How about High Street? It is the UK version of Main Street, typically defined by high density retail and second floor office/residential.

High Street in East Grinstead, UK (got to go here on business once).

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/11799885.jpg

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/898973.jpg

http://v7.cache6.c.bigcache.googleapis.com/static.panoramio.com/photos/original/9888731.jpg?redirect_counter=1

skyrick
12-08-2010, 08:22 PM

You wouldn't recommend this if you have seen Division St in Arlington, TX.

rondvu
12-09-2010, 02:17 PM
While reading the previous comments I had a out of the box thought. Instead of having a must see street could we not capitalize on a must see district. Examples, The Arts District, The Entertainment District, The Paseo or even Heritage Hills District. We are already using the districts today to publicize the different attractions each one has to offer. Oklahoma City's museums, etc... are scattered all over town. I would find it hard to name one must see street. As far as the boulevard how about Doweneedaanother Boulevard?

Kerry
12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Districts are too easy. Picking a single street is much harder, and more fun. Maybe OKC doesn't have one, and maybe we should.

Platemaker
12-11-2010, 02:44 PM

If are able to pull off the triumphal arch at around Culbertson and Lincoln... then I could see Lincoln as this street easily. Lindsay to Kelley on Culbertson is an amazing street BTW.

BDK
12-11-2010, 05:14 PM
If are able to pull off the triumphal arch at around Culbertson and Lincoln... then I could see Lincoln as this street easily. Lindsay to Kelley on Culbertson is an amazing street BTW.

Is that something that's actually still in consideration? I mean, I've seen the old sketches at the capitol, but I thought that was something that was abandoned long ago.

Platemaker
12-11-2010, 07:30 PM
BDK... I'm certain it's dead... but then again the capital dome was dead for nearly 100 years.

It would be great if it could be built... as wee as a complete re-design of State Capital Park... I'd like to see it much more formal... similar to the Centennial Park re-design but larger... at during the holidays it could be lit in all white LED lights on the scale of Chesapeake City.

BDK
12-12-2010, 05:13 PM
BDK... I'm certain it's dead... but then again the capital dome was dead for nearly 100 years.

It would be great if it could be built... as wee as a complete re-design of State Capital Park... I'd like to see it much more formal... similar to the Centennial Park re-design but larger... at during the holidays it could be lit in all white LED lights on the scale of Chesapeake City.

That's what I thought, but the mention of it got me excited thinking it was still a possibility. By the way, are there any records or history of the plan for the triumphal arch anywhere online? I've poked around a bit but haven't been able to find anything.

SoonerGirl26
12-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Austin, TX - 6th Street
Washington DC - Pennsylvania Avenue
Los Angeles - Rodeo Drive
Las Vegas - Freemont Street

okclee
12-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Bourbon Street.

Spartan
12-13-2010, 09:06 PM
You wouldn't recommend this if you have seen Division St in Arlington, TX.

...or anything in Arlington, TX.

SoonerGirl, I'd actually argue Pennsylvania is hardly DC's best street. Such a European city. So many great streets there.

SoonerGirl26
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
...or anything in Arlington, TX.

SoonerGirl, I'd actually argue Pennsylvania is hardly DC's best street. Such a European city. So many great streets there.

You're probably right about it not being the best street.... but I bet when someone goes there for the very first time it is on the list as a "must see" street.

ljbab728
12-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Austin, TX - 6th Street
Washington DC - Pennsylvania Avenue
Los Angeles - Rodeo Drive
Las Vegas - Freemont Street

Rodeo Drive in LA is hardly an impressive street. It just has some high dollar retail stores. It really a fairly short street too (about 7 blocks total). There are other streets is LA that I find much more interesting such as Santa Monica Boulevard, Melrose, or even Hollywood Boulevard inspite of the tourist trap atmosphere.