View Full Version : New to OKC looking for a nice area in metro for middle class black family?

Pages : [1] 2

braunstation
12-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Just recently made the move here to okc metro from Baltimore area, and we are looking for a nice area to move into in the okc metro area. Now we have visited multiple times and of course have been told there are area in the city that are so good for blacks, but that comes from baltimore folks who only hear rumors, they have never lived in OKC. In our few visits so far th city seems very cultured and very mixed, which i know is a far cry from what outsiders think of when hearing about OKC. Like one of our old neighbors in baltimore cliams he heard theres ku klux klan all over Oklahoma!!!! Please, but any ideas "okies", so far we are very impressed with the Yukon and Edmond areas.

dcsooner
12-04-2010, 12:43 PM
African American native Oklahoman currently living in Northern Virginia. Welcome to OKC, just left there last week after visiting family. OKC not like Baltimore/Washington DC, but a great place to raise a family and the entertainment and other options are getting much better. When I retire I plan to return to OKC area and I recommend Edmond, or NW OKC outside of the kilpatrick turnpike. These areas are a little more upscale with more and more shopping and other ammenities becoming available all the time. Will not find a large African American presence in those areas as most are located in NE OKC, but, you wont find African Americans in the numbers of DC and Baltimore anyway. Hope you enjoy OKC, it is getting better.

Spartan
12-04-2010, 12:54 PM
If you're looking for a suburb, Yukon and Edmond are alright. Personally I think Yukon is incredibly ugly, all this new cookie cutter development with virtually no trees and brown grass everywhere. I wouldn't rule out anything in OKC proper, although I would not recommend NE OKC. I don't know how things were for you in Baltimore, but there's no reason for race to be a factor when considering a neighborhood in OKC. The NE side of the city is mostly black, but with the exception of a handful of neighborhoods, it's really not the greatest overall side of town.

You might like some of the older neighborhoods in the inner nw side, but price per square foot for homes in the inner nw side, which is the best area of the city, are more on par with Edmond. In Yukon or Mustang, that general area, your dollar will go further if you're looking for the largest most sterile-looking ranch-style home your money can buy.

Steve
12-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Having been an east coaster myself at one point, and having made trips back from time to time, I can tell you that metro OKC has far less racial tension than what you likely see back in Baltimore. Your old neighbor is totally wrong about the Klan. If you're from Baltimore, you'll likely find Edmond/NW OKC has more of the accommodations you are used to in terms of shopping, restaurants, theaters, schools, proximity to downtown Oklahoma City, etc.
The Oklahoma City metro is like many areas in "fly-over country" - it is grossly misrepresented in the media and the chamber, etc., are working overtime to reverse such impressions.
What racism exists here is more passive, if you know what I mean (a ridiculous problem to still have in 2010, but no unique to OKC), and is limited to a small minority.
To understand just how wrong your neighbors were, do the following:
- Visit Super Cao Market at NW 23 and Classen, eat at one of the Vietnamese restaurants in our Asian district (OKC was one of the few major cities to embrace Vietnamese immigrants in the wake of the Vietnam War when others, notably Houston, were openly hostile).
- Discover OKC's creative class - visit Paseo at Walker Avenue and Paseo Drive or the Plaza District at NW 16 between Classen and Penn.
- When you go to the Plaza District, be sure to stop in at Coffey's Cafe and tell the owner, Janice, that I sent you. http://www.coffyscafe.org/
- If you're in the mood for Oklahoma City soul food, be sure to check out Mama E's - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Sk1lrfQqU (old-school OKC bbq can be had across the street at Leo's)
- Oklahoma City has a large Hispanic community based in and around Capitol Hill, and it's there you can find some great gift shops, restaurants and a couple of food markets.
I really hope this helps. For what it's worth OKC has had both a Hispanic and black police chiefs this past decade, and minorities can be found throughout the leadership of our community. OKC isn't perfect - but the idea that it's some racist Klan town is absolutely false and libelous.

OSUMom
12-04-2010, 01:00 PM
If you are looking for a more urban setting there are a lot of new condos and brownstone type housing east of downtown. More expensive then I personally can afford but I don't know your price range. If you will be working downtown, it could be a good option.

I think that you will find your housing dollar will go a lot further here then in Baltimore.

Welcome to OKC!!!!!!!

dwellsokc
12-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Yukon and Edmond have some very nice neighborhoods, as does just about every area of the metro area. If you're moving from Baltimore you're probably moving here because of work. I'd recommend that you select a nice area that is relatively close to work. Maybe rent for a while, so you can learn about the different areas before you commit to buying?

I'm not familiar with the racial-friction quotient in any of the areas; I hope to think that most are color blind. Welcome to OKC, and good luck with your move!

lasomeday
12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
If you are looking at putting your kids in sports and looking on the west side. I would recommend Mustang over Yukon. Yukon is known for having racist coaches.

Doug Loudenback
12-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Just recently made the move here to okc metro from Baltimore area, and we are looking for a nice area to move into in the okc metro area. Now we have visited multiple times and of course have been told there are area in the city that are so good for blacks, but that comes from baltimore folks who only hear rumors, they have never lived in OKC. In our few visits so far th city seems very cultured and very mixed, which i know is a far cry from what outsiders think of when hearing about OKC. Like one of our old neighbors in baltimore cliams he heard theres ku klux klan all over Oklahoma!!!! Please, but any ideas "okies", so far we are very impressed with the Yukon and Edmond areas.
Welcome to Oklahoma City & this forum, braunstation. A lot of the information needed to reply is not stated in your post, though, presence of children in the family, etc. And a lot depends on what you like. I, for example, like the "old stuff," homes built in the early 1900's and you'll find places like that immediately north of downtown in Heritage Hills and Mesta Park. But that may not be what you're looking for. We can give better answers if you help with some information.

Rover
12-04-2010, 01:48 PM
It is more a choice of where you want to live. OKC doesn't have nearly the racial barriers existing in most larger cities.

The issue is what you want to spend. There are a number of very good neighborhoods in far north OKC that are part of OKC but in the Edmond school system ... a very good system. And, homes are far less expensive than the Baltimore WDC area.

You might try Brasswood or areas around it up by Quail Springs.

MustangGT
12-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Agreed the price you are willing to pay for a home and the proximity to your work will be big determiners of where you would like the best. May I suggest an upscale apartment for say 3-6 months. That would allow you to actually spend an extended period of time here and experience the city for yourself rather than relying on others interpretations.

kwash
12-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Yea agreed, if you are looking towards yukon, you might want to consider mustang. Yukon has been known to still have some old school racism in that town, and mustang is getting more of a mixed bag now. Not to say Yukon will always be like that but ive had some white friends still to this day tell me to be careful in Yukon. NW OKC is really good, id say west memorial area for sure and edmond is great. Moore and Norman are pretty good suburbs as well, although there is not quite as much culture is those suburbs as you get on the north side. As far as OKC being racists, lol its better than a lot of places, the only places ive ever heard of to stay way from is Yukon, Harrah, and Tuttle. Hope that helps you

Spartan
12-04-2010, 03:40 PM
(OKC was one of the few major cities to embrace Vietnamese immigrants in the wake of the Vietnam War when others, notably Houston, were openly hostile).

This is somewhat true. Houston is one of those locales these days where the pervasive social current has made a complete 180 during the 90s--where all of these people that moved to Houston for a high-paying job didn't care for the old ways of Houston back when it was just a city in East Texas. Today it's led the way for a tolerant atmosphere because the city is mostly comprised of professionals and minorities who share very libertine views when it comes to immigration and social issues. In SW Houston some of the street signs are actually in Vietnamese, but there was a time that the old school Houstonians were openly unimpressed with their new residents and today you probably see some resentment toward the Katrina evacuees that ended up in Houston. There's always a clash when a new group that's different just shows up.

Oklahoma is different because we all showed up at once. This place is incredibly welcoming of everyone as long as you have a positive attitude. You don't have to agree with the people here on everything, but at least humor the locals. The newcomers that come here with their minds already made up, determined to disagree with the politics, and counting down the days till their next move aren't going to have a good experience anywhere. And really, this is not an oppressive political climate, it's actually one of the more upbeat, optimistic political climates--if for no other reason than the fact that we are still economically prosperous right now. This is not a backward political climate, either. There's a dose of populism, which is what I can't stand, but there are also some really progressive leaders, which is why OKC is doing so well. Keep in mind that this is the city in a state that is still mostly dominated by rural interests.

But I think you'll enjoy OKC if you've got a positive attitude. There's something here for everyone.

Spartan
12-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Moore and Norman are pretty good suburbs as well, although there is not quite as much culture is those suburbs as you get on the north side.

"There is not quite as much culture in [Norman] as you get on the north side." ?

soonerguru
12-04-2010, 04:25 PM
"There is not quite as much culture in [Norman] as you get on the north side." ?

I know, WTF? Norman has tons of culture and is possibly the most desirable place to live in the state. It's a beeotch of a commute in the morning though for OKC standards; for suburban Baltimore I cannot say.

soonerguru
12-04-2010, 04:27 PM
You know, I'm not sure what the original poster is looking for, but Yukon and Mustang seem like very backward places for someone who has been living on the East Coast. Edmond is a little less so, but it has its issues as well. I've spent time in both places and while there are some good folks there the atmosphere is not very progressive.

PennyQuilts
12-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Welcome to the city!! I just moved back from Northern Virginia and live in SW Oklahoma City, near Mustang. This is my home so of course I'm thrilled to be back but I think you will love it here. I tell people back east that it is where the living is easy. Traffic low, your money goes far, there are tons of things to do if you just look for them. A lot of people think Mustang and Yukon are "backward" if they are young and looking for excitement but for the more settled among us, it is heaven on earth - just mainly depends on where you are in your life. It is absolutely wonderful to be able to get pretty much whatever you want either in the malls or online - and plenty of things are available that you just can't get in an urban area without a lot of hassle (stuff like getting your chainsaw repaired or pet medicine - that sort of thing). And the people are so nice with a great attitude. It will be a culture shock but try to keep your sense of humor. Again, welcome!

Spartan
12-04-2010, 08:16 PM
You know, I'm not sure what the original poster is looking for, but Yukon and Mustang seem like very backward places for someone who has been living on the East Coast. Edmond is a little less so, but it has its issues as well. I've spent time in both places and while there are some good folks there the atmosphere is not very progressive.

Even though the burbs like Mustang and Choctaw/Harrah have seen a lot of growth in recent years it still feels like it's the middle of nowhere. And there is absolutely no shopping anywhere near Mustang. Choctaw/Harrah at least have nice scenery and topography and the MWC Town Center.

There is virtually NO reason to live in Mustang unless you work at the FAA or the airport. There are some nice additions in far SW OKC just south of Mustang though, but they probably have those folks on septic.

Patrick
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I agree with steering clear of Yukon. Being pretty familiar with Yukon schools, I will tell you there is some degree of racism still present in Yukon, and black folks aren't treated the best in their public school system. Edmond might be a consideration, but I will warn you that it is a a white flight community itself, and Edmond has historic roots of bragging about it being a "town with no negroes." Seriously, they used to put that in their chamber of commerce brochures in the day. It's getting better, but you'll still feel pretty isolated there as it is probably over 95% white.

I'd really consider an older middle or inner city area......most of the older (1970's or older) parts of town aren't products of white flight, and are actually pretty diverse. If you want a mostly African American community, Wildwood over on the east side of town is a very nice, mostly African American middle to upper class neighborhood. There are some white folks there, but I'd say it's definitely more than 50% black.

PennyQuilts
12-04-2010, 08:42 PM
I live right outside of Mustang - love it. Close enough to drive "to the city" if I want but I can go to the grocery store in Mustang and get pretty much anything I need. It all comes down to what you want and what is important to you. I like my acerage and the peace and quiet. Given the option of doing something "exciting" and sitting on my patio to enjoy the gorgeous sunrises/sunsets, there is no contest. After living on the East coast with all that traffic and stress, this is pure heaven. And the schools aren't bad, either. If that is your thing, there are a number of areas in town you can live. If you want something different, we have that, too. One of the best things about Oklahoma is that notwithstanding its reputation as being "boring," there is a ton of variety. And you guys are going to love the weather, too.

Camacho
12-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Welcome to Oklahoma City. Although OKC is not segregated in the sense that you don't need to worry about feeling unwelcome in any neighborhood due to your race, there is a definite clustering of different minority groups in different areas of the city. Based on my experience, NW OKC is predominantly white, there is a high density of Asians in what is now aptly dubbed "The Asian District," and the largest black population is in NE OKC.

There are tons of solid, middle-class neighborhoods throughout OKC and the surrounding areas. Others on this board may know better than me, but I would not consider many neighborhoods in OKC to be true melting pots. If the demographic make-up of a neighborhood is a non-factor for you, then you have a dizzying array of neighborhoods to choose from. If you do put some priority in living in a predominantly black neighborhood, then you should check out a few areas in NE OKC. As someone noted above, more neighborhoods than not in NE OKC are marginal, but there are a few wonderful areas.

As a fair disclaimer, I am a bit of a lobbyist for the Northeast area of town as I live there. I grew up in the Northwest side of the city but after spending several years away for school I moved back to a Northeast Oklahoma City neighborhood I didn't even know existed as I grew up but is beautiful. Oklahoma City straddles two geographic regions, with eastern Oklahoma City being in the "cross-timbers", which is characterized by rolling hills with interspersed dense woods, savannah and prarie land. In my opinion the natural beauty of Northeast Oklahoma City is unmatched in the area.

Two very attractive neighborhoods with reasonable home prices in the area are Thompson's Woodlands and Cashion's Wildewood. The two neighborhoods sit caddy corner to each other with NE 50th and Kelley Ave as the boundary between the two. I live in Wildewood and as such know more about it. The neighborhood started to be developed in the late 1950's and most of the homes were built in the 60's. There are a good number of homes built in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and some built in the past few years, so it's a good mix of home styles and sizes. Lot sizes are significantly larger than in most areas of the city, and though the overall feel is neighborhood-y, there are plenty of trees. Home prices typically range from $150K to $300K with a few outliers in either direction.

As far as demographics, I'd estimate the neighborhood is ~90% black and 10% white. There are a few young couples and families but the neighborhood is largely older, and most residents have lived here for decades. Many of the families here moved to the neighborhood after coming to OKC from the East Coast. It's a fairly quiet and slow neighborhood with lots of elbow room, and tends to attract people looking for those qualities.

It is bounded to the east by Park Estates North, another cute and well-kept neighborhood with smaller homes and lots, and to the south by Park Estate South, which is more blue-collar and starts to get a little sketchy. There are a few residential streets to the north but no true neighborhood, and to the West is a densely-wooded square mile with fewer than 10 residences scattered throughout. To the southwest is Thompson's Woodlands, the other nice neighborhood I mentioned. Many of the lots there are huge and much of the area feels more like living in the woods than in a neighborhood.

Oklahoma City has a wickedly good highway system and both Cashion's Wildewood and Thompson's Woodlands offer easy access to anywhere in town, as they're less than a mile from I-44, which can then get you to I-35 or I-235 within another 1-2 minutes. Wildewood is less than a mile from the Zoo, Science Museum, Remington Park and Lincoln Park Golf course, an excellent public course. There's a running/biking trail that starts just east of Wildewood and goes past all of those attractions, through the golf course and then runs south for several miles parallel to I-35. It takes about 10 minutes to get from the neighborhood to a parking spot in Downtown or Bricktown.

All in all I have an obviously biased opinion that Cashion's Wildewood is a forgotten gem in Northeast OKC, as it has fallen off of many people's radar, in large part because the home turnover in the neighborhood is so low. I'm sure this was a much longer answer than you were looking for, but I hope it was somewhat informative.

Steve
12-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I agree with steering clear of Yukon. Being pretty familiar with Yukon schools, I will tell you there is some degree of racism still present in Yukon, and black folks aren't treated the best in their public school system. Edmond might be a consideration, but I will warn you that it is a a white flight community itself, and Edmond has historic roots of bragging about it being a "town with no negroes." Seriously, they used to put that in their chamber of commerce brochures in the day. It's getting better, but you'll still feel pretty isolated there as it is probably over 95% white.

I'd really consider an older middle or inner city area......most of the older (1970's or older) parts of town aren't products of white flight, and are actually pretty diverse. If you want a mostly African American community, Wildwood over on the east side of town is a very nice, mostly African American middle to upper class neighborhood. There are some white folks there, but I'd say it's definitely more than 50% black.

Sourcing sir.

old okie
12-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Welcome to Oklahoma and to Oklahoma City, braunstation.

As for a good location, the others have raised some good points. I would add that one of the main issues is whether or not you have children and their ages and their interests. School districts do vary considerably in the metro area.

Another consideration is the type of home you want--vintage? new? fixer? close to neighbors? pool? golf? price?

We live in the SW part of OKC; are very close to groceries, golf courses, walking trails, and traffic is actually fairly light. We love it. Our neighborhood is new, reasonably priced, and quite racially mixed, no reported problems.

The advice to rent for 3 to 6 months is good. That would let you and your family explore before making a commitment.

Oklahoma City is a good place to live--and I would also recommend Norman, Mustang, Choctaw, or Edmond [although the traffic there is much worse IMO].

Again, welcome to Oklahoma!

PennyQuilts
12-04-2010, 10:02 PM

"White flight" as a result of busing took place nearly fifty years ago. Most of the people who started Edmond are dead or so elderly you won't run into them. It is a college town with an educated population that is pretty progressive. Some people confuse the snobbiness that comes with being firmly middle class/law and order with being racist (somewhat of an iffy underlying premise, if you think about it). Kids from the "wrong side of the track" (i.e., the south side) also claim Edmondites are snots. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans for those people who happen to be law abiding and middle class. They fit right in.

Moreover, some people don't realize just how much time has passed and how attitudes have changed since the days of busing and "white flight." I am embarassed that someone would try to paint this town and its school systems as racist. There are bigoted individuals, of course, but the allegations of systemic racism as implied come from someone not old enough to understand what it is like to live in a pervasively racist society. As has been mentioned, OKC is a racially tolerant city with very little tension to speak of in that regard. It isn't perfect but I honestly believe you will feel welcome, here.

Wildwood is a very nice neighborhood (I grew up near there) but there is absolutely no reason why you should feel you need to live in a predominately African American neighborhood unless that is your personal preference. If you have school aged kids, before buying there, I would absolutely check out the schools or consider private schools. Wildwood is lovely but there are a lot of deprived areas nearby resulting in rough schools.

I don't know much about Yukon but those comments sound suspect absent something significant to back it up.

Patrick
12-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Sourcing sir.

Younger brother recently graduated from Yukon HS. I'd say the amount of racism present in that school is unbelievable.

No source needed for evidence of white flight. That's a phenomon that's well known to us that grew up in this city and experienced it. I think the racial mix of your public schools is a good source though. You look at the racial make up of OKC Public Schools and it's pretty well mixed. In contrast, Edmond North is 96% white per review of No Child Left Behind data.

PennyQuilts
12-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Younger brother recently graduated from Yukon HS. I'd say the amount of racism present in that school is unbelievable.

No source needed for evidence of white flight. That's a phenomon that's well known to us that grew up in this city and experienced it. I think the racial mix of your public schools is a good source though. You look at the racial make up of OKC Public Schools and it's pretty well mixed. In contrast, Edmond North is 96% white per review of No Child Left Behind data.

Is your younger brother African Amercan? What sort of racism are you talking about? Are you claiming the school administration acting in a racist manner or the students or both?

Are you saying that because Edmond schools are 95% white it is racist? Is it your position that racism exists in all schools that aren't "pretty well mixed" or do you have something specific to base that on? Any instances of racial bullying going on in Edmond?

I imagine any AA family transfering him from Baltimore is going to be fine no matter where they settle. As has been pointed out, this is a very nice, friendly town with great weather, a dynamic civil spirit with an abundance of colleges and universities in the area and a strong economic climate.

Let me repeat - welcome to Oklahoma!

kevinpate
12-04-2010, 10:21 PM
You might also consider coming south and spending a day or three in Norman, and then decide for yourself if you like it as much as we do.

Patrick
12-04-2010, 10:22 PM
It is a college town with an educated population that is pretty progressive.

Well, it does have a major university in it, one that is my alma mater, but I wouldn't go as far as saying that Edmond is a "college town." Not even close to the experience in Stillwater, for example. I would agree with it being educated and progressive, mostly due to the makeup of higher end demographics. And I don't know if I'd says Edmond is firmly middle class. Quite the contrary, Edmond is pretty well known for it's mansions especially on the east side of town.

Moreover, some people don't realize just how much time has passed and how attitudes have changed since the days of busing and "white flight."

Somewhat. I think times have changed.....but, as a member of my Edmond addition home owner's association, I will assure you, at least in our addition, any time a black person moves in the neighborhood, it becomes part of the discussion about how to handle the situation and how to make life as miserable as possible for the black family. Sad but true. I hear the same from several other neighborhood associations in Edmond. And segregation still exists. Just go to any church on Sunday and you'll see the most segregated population in the entire country.

As a graduate of OKC Public Schools, Northeast High School specifically, in 1998, I find it interesting how many of my white friends "moved to Edmond" during my 13 years of schooling "to get away from Blacks." So, to say white flight doesn't still exist...well, I think you have blinders on if you believe segregation doesn't still occur.

As has been mentioned, OKC is a racially tolerant city with very little tension to speak of in that regard. It isn't perfect but I honestly believe you will feel welcome, here.

I concur.

Wildwood is a very nice neighborhood (I grew up near there) but there is absolutely no reason why you should feel you need to live in a predominately African American neighborhood unless that is your personal preference. If you have school aged kids, before buying there, I would absolutely check out the schools or consider private schools. Wildwood is lovely but there are a lot of deprived areas nearby resulting in rough schools.

Why bash OKC Public schools? There are many great magnet schools in the OKc Public School district. In fact, I think Classen SAS was the top ranked middle and high school in the state last year.

I don't know much about Yukon but those comments sound suspect absent something significant to back it up.

Having a younger brother attending high school there and being on their varsity football roster was enough for my family to experience. Of note, my half brother lives with his mother in Yukon. I live in west Edmond.

Patrick
12-04-2010, 10:26 PM
Is your younger brother African Amercan? What sort of racism are you talking about? Are you claiming the school administration acting in a racist manner or the students or both?

Mostly students. But we saw blacks not get positions on the football team because they were black. Regarding students, let's just say that many of the white students didn't make it easy on the few black students that went to Yukon HS and were frequently the center of bullying, for which the district refused to act on.

Are you saying that because Edmond schools are 95% white it is racist? Is it your position that racism exists in all schools that aren't "pretty well mixed" or do you have something specific to base that on? Any instances of racial bullying going on in Edmond?

Never said Edmond schools were racist. And no, just because they're mostly white doesn't make them racist. I'd recommend Edmond schools to him long before I'd recommend Yukon.

leprechaun
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
Welcome to OKC Braunstation. If you have kids but want to live where there is something to do, i suggest Norman. It is a college town with good public schools. Edmond seems to be the most popular place to raise a family and has good public schools,but I must warn you that it is pretty boring. If you don't have kids, you might consider the inner north side, which has some great older neighborhoods and some new condo development. Good luck!

Doug Loudenback
12-04-2010, 11:19 PM
braunstation, you should have by now a representative sampling of information, particularly given the fact that you have not thus far given further information as to your needs and children/no children circumstance. Unless you provide some data, things seem to me to having begun to be redundant and it has come to feel that we are just talking with ourselves. Conversation is a two-way street, don' you think?

Spartan
12-05-2010, 12:29 AM
Edmond being a college town is kind of funny. It's about as much of a college town as north Calgary, which happens to have a large university, but is hardly a college town. Coming from Norman it's hard to not laugh at that. Someone from Lawrence or Stillwater would down-right scoff at that (or hee-haw).

MWC has Rose State College. College town there, I'd say. SW OKC has O-Triple-C and a very lively college town environment there around May and SW 74th. I think there's a Platt College in Moore, so there ya go..

Yukon and Edmond have some very nice neighborhoods, as does just about every area of the metro area. If you're moving from Baltimore you're probably moving here because of work. I'd recommend that you select a nice area that is relatively close to work. Maybe rent for a while, so you can learn about the different areas before you commit to buying?

I'm not familiar with the racial-friction quotient in any of the areas; I hope to think that most are color blind. Welcome to OKC, and good luck with your move!

Did Dennis Wells just endorse the Hobbit houses in Bagend? Lol, just giving you grief. I think someone moving here from the east coast should give Dennis Wells a call and discuss building a new mod home in SoSA.

bradzilla
12-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Just recently made the move here to okc metro from Baltimore area, and we are looking for a nice area to move into in the okc metro area. Like one of our old neighbors in baltimore cliams he heard theres ku klux klan all over Oklahoma!!!!

First thing to remember is that this is not Baltimore and your neighbor is an idiot.

The biggest problem with people from other states is that they make narrow minded observations which they hold their entire lives based on no personal experience or logic. I've always found it entertaining that you can mention where you are from to a person from one of the coast and they actually believe that any place in the middle of the country is just a big mobile home park and everyone is walking around in a wife-beater and dipping tobacco.

With that said, live where you want to live and do what you want to do. If you've visited before you know that in most of the city there isn't a huge black population like there is in some east coast / southern cities but that you will have no problem making new friends. I've lived in Moore, Edmond, and Midwest City/Choctaw and Ive have neighbors of every color, shape, and size.

bradzilla
12-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Sbut, as a member of my Edmond addition home owner's association, I will assure you, at least in our addition, any time a black person moves in the neighborhood, it becomes part of the discussion about how to handle the situation and how to make life as miserable as possible for the black family. .

Patrick is a great example as someone who takes a topic like this and completely runs away with it to gain attention for himself on the internet. If you look at his post history he's done this with other topics as well. With him if you ask a question or two like - Patrick what plans did you make to get rid of the black families?

Not only will he be stumped but will come up with something even more outrageous just so his story doesn't fall apart on the internet.

Patrick - so what do you do , do you hide their trashcans, egg their cars? toilet paper their house?, do you not wave to them as you drive by? Give me the name of your subdivision (or i could just track your IP ) and i'll drive by to check out your story for this nice lady who is moving to OKC.

Easy180
12-05-2010, 07:00 AM
Exactly...Wonder what the plan was?

flintysooner
12-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Edmond might be a consideration, but I will warn you that it is a a white flight community itself, and Edmond has historic roots of bragging about it being a "town with no negroes." Seriously, they used to put that in their chamber of commerce brochures in the day. It's getting better, but you'll still feel pretty isolated there as it is probably over 95% white.
[/I]From City-Data (http://www.city-data.com/city/Edmond-Oklahoma.html):
Edmond: White alone - 68,652 (79.7%), Black alone - 5,673 (6.6%)

Others:
Yukon: White alone - 19,039 (85.2%), Black alone - 205 (0.9%)
Mustang: White alone - 11,824 (89.9%), Black alone - 71 (0.5%)
Oklahoma City: White alone - 326,381 (59.7%), Black alone - 76,759 (14.0%)
Norman: White alone - 82,956 (80.3%), Black alone - 4,261 (4.1%)
Moore: White alone - 35,597 (76.3%), Black alone - 2,383 (5.1%)
Midwest City: White alone - 34,625 (64.5%), Black alone - 10,192 (19.0%)
Del City: White alone - 15,084 (67.2%), Black alone - 4,212 (18.8%)
The Village: White alone - 7,934 (78.1%), Black alone - 1,044 (10.3%)
Nichols Hills: White alone - 3,764 (92.8%), Black alone - 17 (0.4%)
Bethany: White alone - 16,822 (82.8%), Black alone - 872 (4.3%)
Choctaw: White alone - 8,174 (87.2%), Black alone - 154 (1.6%)
Nicoma Park: White alone - 2,024 (83.8%), Black alone - 81 (3.4%)
Jones: White alone - 2,165 (86.0%), Black alone - 111 (4.4%)
Tuttle: White alone - 3,863 (90.0%)
Newcastle: White alone - 4,813 (88.6%), Black alone - 10 (0.2%)

Never did find a 95% but Nichols Hills was closest.

PennyQuilts
12-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Mostly students. But we saw blacks not get positions on the football team because they were black.

Nothing written after that is credible. This is football country. Schools will beg, borrow, bribe and kidnap good atheletes with a good work ethic and passable grades to compete and race has absolutely no bearing.

okcpulse
12-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Mostly students. But we saw blacks not get positions on the football team because they were black. Regarding students, let's just say that many of the white students didn't make it easy on the few black students that went to Yukon HS and were frequently the center of bullying, for which the district refused to act on.

Never said Edmond schools were racist. And no, just because they're mostly white doesn't make them racist. I'd recommend Edmond schools to him long before I'd recommend Yukon.

I second that. As an Edmond Memorial grad, anyone was embraced regardless of skin color. Racial attitudes were very frowned upon, and bullying mostly occurred from one or two students who had major emotional issues. My high school counselor there was very efficient at putting a stopping that sort of behavior.

My wife and I decided on Edmond over Yukon mostly because I grew up in Edmond and there is much more housing inventory. That and we like the style of one of the builders.

mkjeeves
12-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Did Dennis Wells just endorse the Hobbit houses in Bagend? Lol, just giving you grief. I think someone moving here from the east coast should give Dennis Wells a call and discuss building a new mod home in SoSA.

I believe he formerly lived in a hobbit house in Yukon. Perhaps he learned both appreciation for the community and his disdain for that architectural sentiment from the experience. Yes, build in Sosa, or make yourself a home anywhere in the metro.

Double Edge
12-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Nothing written after that is credible. This is football country. Schools will beg, borrow, bribe and kidnap good atheletes with a good work ethic and passable grades to compete and race has absolutely no bearing.

Benefit of the doubt that bad things sometimes happen, I have to imagine the next runner up to experiencing the sting of racism directly is the attempts of people who were not involved to deny it or sweep it under the rug.

Racism exists. But I think most of the residents in all the neighborhoods will welcome you.

MustangGT
12-05-2010, 10:06 AM

I would call dubious on all his statments in that post. If his neighborhood association actually behaves that way they need to be sued and held to answer for what they are alleged to have done.

Steve
12-05-2010, 11:42 AM

That's pretty poor sourcing, forgive me, for the conclusions you're making.
Here's some equally anecdotal information of my own. In my nw OKC/Edmond schools neighborhood, we have at least 4 black families, two Asian families and one Hispanic family - ON MY BLOCK. It's a great safe neighborhood. I don't know about Yukon.
White flight is a sad incident from the 1970s that is now ancient history ... my suggestion, Braunstation, is take all of these comments with a grain of salt, and follow the one bit of advice given by one person - get a nice apartment to start off with if you can, get to know the city, and spend a few months getting to know the city.

SkyWestOKC
12-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Agree very much with Steve.

What one person likes and recommends might be completely opposite of what you like or prefer for you and your family. I'd definitely recommend renting a decent living space for a few months and finding a place that's perfect for your lifestyle and budget.

bucktalk
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
I live in a very nice Edmond residental development. There 3 or 4 black families within 12 houses of ours. Our neighborhood is very much diverse. Not sure you can take much credibility from Patricks commments. I'm thinking he's trying to add some drama this this thread....

bradzilla
12-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Nothing written after that is credible. This is football country. Schools will beg, borrow, bribe and kidnap good athletes with a good work ethic and passable grades to compete and race has absolutely no bearing.

Ditto - I graduated from a large Oklahoman high school back in 2000 and at the time there were several controversies over recruiting practices at trying to get great football and basketball players out of the inner cities schools and into the suburban school system. As far as the black kids being treated differently in highschool that would've been a joke, i never saw/heard about/witnessed anyone ganging up on a black kid at school.

Double Edge
12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
So braunstation, I'm curious about how you know so much about OKC and Tulsa high school sports, used to go to games here a lot but don't know the neighborhoods? You looking for a place to live or just to stir up controversy?

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23848&p=379604#post379604

Easy180
12-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Busted

Doug Loudenback
12-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Yep. Looks like we've been had.

krisb
12-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd recommend Jefferson Park, Deep Deuce, Lincoln Terrace, or Paseo neighborhoods. They seem like the most eclectic and diverse of the historic neighborhoods, all having a strong African-American history and presence.

Spartan
12-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow. 17 people! lol

Oklahoma City: White alone - 326,381 (59.7%), Black alone - 76,759 (14.0%)
Nichols Hills: White alone - 3,764 (92.8%), Black alone - 17 (0.4%)

So braunstation, I'm curious about how you know so much about OKC and Tulsa high school sports, used to go to games here a lot but don't know the neighborhoods? You looking for a place to live or just to stir up controversy?

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=23848&p=379604#post379604

Ha! Probably forgot which i.d. he was logged in as.

Steve
12-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Thread is dead.

Kerry
12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Thread is dead.

Well we do know one thing - Patrick needs to find a new class of friends. If most of my friends were racist I would have to rethink the settings on my freindship bar, because apparently too many people are getting over it.

earlywinegareth
12-06-2010, 02:38 PM
As a parent, one of my priorities when I chose to buy a house was the school system. The best school systems are: 1. Deer Creek, 2. Edmond, 3. Moore/Norman (tied). Those are the only areas I recommend. OKC is one of the most racially mixed cities in the country, so it boils down to this - pick the area that offers the most of what you want. Commute time? Shopping/restaurants nearby? What is "good" for one person may or may not be "good" for you. Having said that, I do recommend my area of town - far SW OKC, 89th on the north, Western on the east, 149th on the south, and Portland on the west. We love everything about it.

okclee
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Your school system ranking, is that fact or your opinion?

Steve
12-06-2010, 03:41 PM
thread is dead. thread is dead

kevinpate
12-06-2010, 04:38 PM
thread is dead. thread is dead

nah, it's just been zombified

soonerfan_in_okc
12-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Keep it aliveeeeee. Edmond is racist dont move there ahhhhhh

jmarkross
12-06-2010, 05:41 PM
Keep it aliveeeeee. Edmond is racist dont move there ahhhhhh

Norman will offer a torchlight parade!

krisb
12-06-2010, 10:42 PM
If the thread is dead, quit posting on it.

Patrick
12-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Patrick - so what do you do

I was actually one of the founding members of OKCTalk.

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=6686&page=1

Patrick
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
That's pretty poor sourcing, forgive me, for the conclusions you're making.
Here's some equally anecdotal information of my own. In my nw OKC/Edmond schools neighborhood, we have at least 4 black families, two Asian families and one Hispanic family - ON MY BLOCK. It's a great safe neighborhood. I don't know about Yukon.
White flight is a sad incident from the 1970s that is now ancient history ... my suggestion, Braunstation, is take all of these comments with a grain of salt, and follow the one bit of advice given by one person - get a nice apartment to start off with if you can, get to know the city, and spend a few months getting to know the city.

For what it's worth, I was right in that blacks make up 4% of Edmond North tested population, but wrong in saying that means 96% white, as there are other ethnic groups.

And like I said, my source is No Child Left behind data:
http://www.sde.state.ok.us/AcctAssess/APIReportCards_Site/2009/55I012715.pdf