View Full Version : Segway Rules in Downtown OKC

Kerry
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
Does anyone know what the Segway rules are in downtown OKC? I test drove one 2 days ago and I am working on a plan to return to OKC. If we move to the downtown area I would like to get a Segway to get around downtown. Can I ride them on the sidewalk? Is there any designated place to park them or can I just park it like a bike?

Ginkasa
12-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Actually, they have little places to rent a segway at several spots and the "Bricktown Ambassadors" typically drive them around. You shouldn't have any problem, I should think. Unfortunately, I've never been on one myself, so I have no more details than that.

BBatesokc
12-03-2010, 03:51 AM
You can pretty much take them anywhere they will fit and they are allowed on sidewalks. There is a lawyer downtown with one and some couple that lives downtown that I see often on theirs. Usually I just see them parked just outside a store or restaurant and within view of the owner.

Kerry
12-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Thanks guys. That was the answer I was hoping for. The new Segways have an anti-theft system and they can now be chained up (which I guess couldn't be done before). If you have not tried one I suggest you do it. I was surprised how stable and responsive it was. I am trying to talk the wife into moving to Heritage Hills/Mesta Park area and they would be nice to have to get into downtown quickly. They have a 24 mile range on a single charge and can cover a mile in 5 minutes so they would be ideal.

The only accessory I would like to see them add is a little trailer you could pull for groceries. The trailer could also hold a battery to make up for the extra weight or even have its own powered wheels.

jmarkross
12-03-2010, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys. That was the answer I was hoping for. The new Segways have an anti-theft system and they can now be chained up (which I guess couldn't be done before). If you have not tried one I suggest you do it. I was surprised how stable and responsive it was. I am trying to talk the wife into moving to Heritage Hills/Mesta Park area and they would be nice to have to get into downtown quickly. They have a 24 mile range on a single charge and can cover a mile in 5 minutes so they would be ideal.

The only accessory I would like to see them add is a little trailer you could pull for groceries. The trailer could also hold a battery to make up for the extra weight or even have its own powered wheels.

I think a powerful seated device--a glorified Hover-round...with a big basket behind with decent mileage would be a great idea. I am near the point in life where those devices might be necessary, so it would sure save a lot of money and fuel if more people could use them...almost like a cross-over between power wheelchairs and those little-bitty cars--which are a waste, they have a tiny mileage advantage and are truly death-traps...a dedicated small device lane (aka sidewalk, I suppose--but separate from the automobile traffic) and a more well-engineered contraption with decent logistical capabilities...maybe some heating for winter...

Kerry
12-03-2010, 05:58 AM
I think a powerful seated device--a glorified Hover-round...with a big basket behind with decent mileage would be a great idea. I am near the point in life where those devices might be necessary, so it would sure save a lot of money and fuel if more people could use them...almost like a cross-over between power wheelchairs and those little-bitty cars--which are a waste, they have a tiny mileage advantage and are truly death-traps...a dedicated small device lane (aka sidewalk, I suppose--but separate from the automobile traffic) and a more well-engineered contraption with decent logistical capabilities...maybe some heating for winter...

Do you mean like this?

http://winarco.com/eco-friendly-two-wheeled-electric-car-reveal/

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car5.jpg

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car1a1.jpg

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car.jpg

jmarkross
12-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Do you mean like this?

http://winarco.com/eco-friendly-two-wheeled-electric-car-reveal/

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car5.jpg

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car1a1.jpg

http://winarco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/two-wheel-electric-car.jpg

Oh my! Yes! These seem great...as long as they are within the reach of the average old folks...so many nice items are priced beyond what many could afford...but, mass production and separate lanes/sidewalks would maybe get a lot of old folks off the roads--a good idea in many, many ways...

Soho
12-03-2010, 09:48 AM
My wife and I live in Maywood Park and have Segways, in fact I ride mine to work most of the time. The state of Oklahoma passed some favorable laws a few years ago making them legal on not only sidewalks but on all streets with speed limits of 25mph or less (most of downtown). Can't say enough good about them, We have had no maintenance in the almost two years we have had them and a full charge costs ~ six cents which is good for 24 miles!

They are easy to lock up at the movie theater, Thunder games, etc.

Kerry
12-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Thanks Soho - I am sold. I assume they will be allowed on the streetcar once it is built as well.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/6

Getting on and off the Streetcar
•The Streetcar does NOT stop at every stop automatically. You MUST signal the operator by pushing the vertical or horizontal yellow strip on the high floor section of the car, or push the buttons on the door prior to the platform you are requesting.
•The Streetcar will stop for passengers only at stop platforms.
•Streetcars have low floors for easy boarding of wheelchairs. The operator watches platforms for passengers using mobility devices and deploys an automated ramp as needed. When on-board the streetcar, a ramp request button may be pushed prior to the next stop.
•Streetcars are air-conditioned.
•Bicycles & segways are allowed on Streetcar in the low-floor section only.
•Guide dogs and companion animals are allowed on leash only -- see Service Animals section, below.

Bunty
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
I've heard to just keep moving, in other words, avoid a sedentary lifestyle, in your retired years is important to keep from slowing down with age. If you're lazy by nature, doing that may be easy to resist doing. Jane Fonda just the other night on the Tonight Show said to keep moving. And so did a male aqaintance of mine who's in great shape and past 50.

metro
12-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Kerry, when do you think you will be moving to OKC?

Kerry
12-03-2010, 12:46 PM
Kerry, when do you think you will be moving to OKC?

We don't know yet if we even are. I am think about leaving the consulting world behind and starting a small business. Lots of details still to work out (plus sell a home in Florida). We are targeting the first quarter of 2012.

Soho
12-06-2010, 07:17 AM
I've heard to just keep moving, in other words, avoid a sedentary lifestyle, in your retired years is important to keep from slowing down with age. If you're lazy by nature, doing that may be easy to resist doing. Jane Fonda just the other night on the Tonight Show said to keep moving. And so did a male aqaintance of mine who's in great shape and past 50.

Nice way to jump to conclusions! With that logic you should sell your car and walk everywhere. The beauty of living downtown is that I can commute to work via Segway instead of driving from north Edmond everyday and adding to pollution and congestion. The extra two hours a day that I gain are spent on riding my bike ~100 miles a week, walking 3+ miles 3 or 4 times a week, etc.

The Segway allows me to zip around to meetings, run to the cleaners, the pharmacy, the grocery store, drop the car off for service and Segway back, attend downtown events without the need to park (and avoid attendant fees), on and on. All of which while getting the equivalent of 400 mpg with no carbon emissions (except for those created during power generation. Which would be less if we converted inefficient, and environmentally insensitive coal burning plants to natural gas, but that is a subject for another rant).

"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes." – Jack Handey

Soho
12-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Thanks Soho - I am sold. I assume they will be allowed on the streetcar once it is built as well.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/node/6

I would like to think the rules will stay the same but have doubts that the streetcar will allow them. We have ridden them to the Paseo district and back quite comfortably.They have a range of 24 miles which will allow you the ability to beat the streetcar to your destination :)

Kerry
12-06-2010, 08:23 AM
I would like to think the rules will stay the same but have doubts that the streetcar will allow them. We have ridden them to the Paseo district and back quite comfortably.They have a range of 24 miles which will allow you the ability to beat the streetcar to your destination :)

Portland allows them on their Street Car, and since they have a modern system that OKC is building we would follow the same path. There is no reason not to allow them that I can see. I love the fact that they get 24 miles on a single charge and some of Segway's new concepts are very interesting. We spent last week at Disney World and they had the Segway bicycle (for lack of a better description) on display. I have also seen a few videos of the Segway motorcycle and Honda's unicycle. All very neat. I also did a little research and found that most places around the world will let a Segway go anywhere pedestrians are allowed.

okclee
12-06-2010, 08:56 AM
Saw Santa riding around on his segway all over Bricktown this weekend.

BBatesokc
12-06-2010, 09:18 AM
We saw him in front of the Skirvin on Friday night and I took his picture with the wife... http://yfrog.com/ht6tp0j

TaoMaas
12-06-2010, 09:38 AM
Saw Santa riding around on his segway all over Bricktown this weekend.

If you see him, you need to flag him down. He's giving away everything from candy to free snow tubing passes to Thunder tickets!

Dustin
12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I have always wanted a segway! It's on my list.

okclee
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
If you see him, you need to flag him down. He's giving away everything from candy to free snow tubing passes to Thunder tickets!

Yea! I won a Sonic peppermint!

jmarkross
12-06-2010, 10:45 AM
From the owners of the Segways...how has the maintenance and reliability of the batteries, etc. on these device been for you? Longevity?

Kerry
12-06-2010, 12:19 PM
I have always wanted a segway! It's on my list.

I want one but don't have any reason to use it right now. That means I have to change my lifestyle - which I am willing to do. I really really want to drive less. You know, I didn't feel this way until we got a dog and started spending more time outside. This last week I spent almost as much time at the dog walk at Fort Wilderness as I did at the theme parks.

Fort Wilderness by the way has something like a 3 hour Segway tour and I saw them ride by everyday.

Spartan
12-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Does anyone know what the Segway rules are in downtown OKC? I test drove one 2 days ago and I am working on a plan to return to OKC. If we move to the downtown area I would like to get a Segway to get around downtown. Can I ride them on the sidewalk? Is there any designated place to park them or can I just park it like a bike?

If you move downtown, please be like metro and find some way to indiscriminately weasel it into every post of yours. Lol jk.

Kerry
12-06-2010, 07:16 PM
If you move downtown, please be like metro and find some way to indiscriminately weasel it into every post of yours. Lol jk.

I could change my name to Metro-also.

Dustin
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I want one but don't have any reason to use it right now. That means I have to change my lifestyle - which I am willing to do. I really really want to drive less. You know, I didn't feel this way until we got a dog and started spending more time outside. This last week I spent almost as much time at the dog walk at Fort Wilderness as I did at the theme parks.

Fort Wilderness by the way has something like a 3 hour Segway tour and I saw them ride by everyday.

Same thing with me. Where would I ride it? Around the lake? Around my neighborhood? Heck I might as well walk. I could use the exercise. If I lived downtown or had a GIGANTIC house I would definitely buy one..

Dustin
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
For those like me who can't afford a Segway...

http://www.trikke.com/st01/home.html

These things are funnnnnn!

BBatesokc
12-07-2010, 05:50 AM
For those like me who can't afford a Segway...

http://www.trikke.com/st01/home.html

These things are funnnnnn!

I don't think the Trikke is an option for people wanting a Segway - The Segway moves lazy people and those who are not easily mobile on their own and the Trikke requires you to be active. My inlaws bought two of those online. They are really fun if you take the time to really learn how to use them. I considered a couple for around the river.

Kerry
12-07-2010, 06:32 AM
I don't think the Trikke is an option for people wanting a Segway - The Segway moves lazy people and those who are not easily mobile on their own and the Trikke requires you to be active. My inlaws bought two of those online. They are really fun if you take the time to really learn how to use them. I considered a couple for around the river.

Try riding you Trikke to the grocery store to buy a single gallon milk. The Segway isn't purchased for fun - it is a vehicle that happens to be fun to ride. It isn't a replacement for walking - it is a replacement for driving.

TaoMaas
12-07-2010, 06:43 AM
The Segway isn't purchased for fun - it is a vehicle that happens to be fun to ride. It isn't a replacement for walking - it is a replacement for driving.

Uh...it might not be so fun. The Segway Santa said that it starts to be a bit painful after a while. It's like standing in one spot without moving your feet for an extended period of time.

BBatesokc
12-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Try riding you Trikke to the grocery store to buy a single gallon milk. The Segway isn't purchased for fun - it is a vehicle that happens to be fun to ride. It isn't a replacement for walking - it is a replacement for driving.

I'd argue many, many Segway's are indeed purchased for 'fun.' The two people i know downtown (a couple and a lawyer) all get around fine. They bought it because "it's fun and different."

Kerry
12-07-2010, 09:17 AM
I'd argue many, many Segway's are indeed purchased for 'fun.' The two people i know downtown (a couple and a lawyer) all get around fine. They bought it because "it's fun and different."

I understand it is fun, but do they drive them around in their house or yard, or do they go places on it? I guess you can say cars are for lazy people that don't like to walk.

BBatesokc
12-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I understand it is fun, but do they drive them around in their house or yard, or do they go places on it? I guess you can say cars are for lazy people that don't like to walk.

Actually they drive them straight into their apartment downtown and yes they go places in them. BUT, they also own cars, bikes, etc. They bought these FOR FUN while going places. The fun factor was the deciding factor. The attorney got it because he thinks he looks cool on it and he says it FUN. Just like another friend who bought (actually basically free with goofy tax incentives) an all electric car. She only bought it for FUN.

Soho
12-07-2010, 11:43 AM
There are no tax incentives. That is only for licensed vehicles.

Soho
12-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Well said!

Soho
12-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Both of ours have ~1000 miles on them and have required no more than air in the tires. We have gotten to know the gentleman that rents them in Bricktown and has 6 of them now.

He is the best source when it comes to longevity and service. One of his has 4100 miles and has required one battery change and two sets of tires. Amazingly, the only reason the battery had to be replaced is that a renter drove it into the canal! He fished it out, replaced the battery and returned it to the rental fleet. He let me ride it and I couldn't tell the difference.

I have ridden mine in rain snow with no issues, they are virtually indestructible.

Soho
12-07-2010, 12:16 PM
There are no tax incentives. That is only for licensed vehicles.

To clarify... I am saying there is no tax benefit for Segways, only licensed vehicles.