View Full Version : Cat's Runny Nose

Bunty
11-30-2010, 09:48 PM
Has anyone ever had a cat that would occasionally sneeze and have a runny nose and treated it successfully?

TheTravellers
12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Has anyone ever had a cat that would occasionally sneeze and have a runny nose and treated it successfully?

Sounds like an upper respiratory infection, they *sometimes* go away on their own if they're not in contact with other cats with URIs. A lot of cats get them after being boarded or in shelters waiting for adoption. But here's more info - http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_feline_upper_res.shtml

PennyQuilts
12-04-2010, 06:04 PM
I hope your cat is feeling better. I don't know much about cat health so can't offer advice - sounds like Travellers has it covered, though.

z28james
12-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Sounds like an upper respiratory infection, they *sometimes* go away on their own if they're not in contact with other cats with URIs. A lot of cats get them after being boarded or in shelters waiting for adoption. But here's more info - http://www.sheltermedicine.com/portal/is_feline_upper_res.shtml

Thats what it sounds like to me, also sometimes cats can have it their whole life. Also it can be passsed on to other cats easily, so treat it quick becuase giving cats medicine is a real b**ch

Bunty
12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Kitty Einstein, my cat, didn't get better, so I just started giving him one tablet of lysine every day grounded in his food. It's supposed to help the immunity system fight viruses. He is, otherwise, healthy with a good, unfinicky appetite.

Einstein had been a homeless street cat living in the Asian District until I adopted him last month. A friend who I was visiting with in the Asian District introduced me to him. Einstein often hung around the apartment house where my friend lived, because another tenant would leave out food on the front porch for stray cats and kittens, a practice my friend didn't like much, because it could lead to more homeless cats. My friend was moving to Florida soon and before leaving hoped that Einstein could find a home. I hinted I might like to have him. A few days later my friend called me to say that if I wanted that cat, then I better come down and get it, because his upstairs neighbor lady said she wanted that cat gone, or she was doing something about it. (prejudiced against black cats?) Even though tenants weren't supposed to do so, my friend was willing to keep the cat overnight in his home to make sure it would be around for me. So soon one morning I came back, grabbed Einstein, placed him in a container and drove him to the animal clinic near 16th and Meridian, suggested by my friend, where he spent all day getting vaccinated and fixed. He had been guilty of fathering at least one litter.

My friend had named him Einstein after his brother's dog. So I guess the name will stick, other than something like Blackie or Shadow. He has been making the transition well to being a house cat, seldom misbehaving. He is pictured below.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/stillwatertownie/IMG_2415.jpg

Bunty
01-15-2011, 12:14 AM
For an update on Kitty Einstein, he took an awful turn for the worse. The cloudy discharge from his nose started including blood with it. So a visit with the cat doctor couldn't be put off any longer. The doctor took his temperature in the rectum under no protest from him. He was running a fever. He also had swollen lymph glands. The doctor prescribed antibiotics to mix in his food twice a day for two weeks. Also advised was to continue with the lysine, 500mg twice a day.

Two weeks later for follow up visit, the doctor found Einstein much better. His nose was no longer discharging. His temperature was normal. His lymph nodes were still a little swollen, so he was given another two week round of antibiotics. During the follow up visit, the doctor noticed flatulence from Einstein. The doctor felt that meant worms, so she forced down his throat two deworming pills. The doctor in weighing him found he's still gaining weight, now 14.5 lbs and felt he didn't need to gain more, since we don't want a fat kitty. When I got him he weighed 11.7 lbs. No additional follow up visit necessary, unless his nasal condition flares up again. I certainly hope it doesn't.

Einstein looked even worse than this at the first doctor visit:

http://stillwaterweather.com/photos/einstein2.jpg

Thunder
01-15-2011, 04:05 AM
Awww, such a cute kitty. I suggest going to Neel Vet. They also have 24-Hour emergency care. He probably was just sick from all these cold snaps with the weather lately. For sure, he will be healthy from here on out now that he is living inside with you with lots of toys.