View Full Version : Are you serious??

bucktalk
11-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Has anyone notice how horrible the new pavement is between 122nd to 150th on Sante Fe? The other pavement seemed fine until they installed this horrible, uneven pavement in the past couple of weeks. Surely our tax dollars are not being spent in such poor workmanship. Any news on this???

okcpulse
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Oil and chip seal. Lots of cities do it to make sure potholes do not occur. They did it to Hefner Rd. Along the dam. To date... Zero potholes. But the rough texture is annoying, I admit.

Oklahoma City needs to begin widening with concrete like in Edmond on Kelly between 33rd and 15th.

hipsterdoofus
11-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Yep I noticed - I drive that occasionally and did so this morning. Reminds me of a time when Edmond did something similar between Kelly & Santa Fe on 33rd. Got tons of complaints and ended up tearing out all out. I agree there wasn't really anything wrong with it...I have seen a lot of projects like this and wonder if it is "Stimulus money" since they seem to be repaving where it doesn't seem necessary.

Spartan
11-29-2010, 10:17 PM
No, it's all 2008 bond money that is going toward redoing all of the streets north of Memorial Rd.

I do not understand why they can't all just be widened at intersections, and kept 2-lanes everywhere between them with the exception of adding a turning lane for safety. Like in far South Tulsa, where the 2-lane roads work well for the most part. What bothers me is this idea that there should never be much traffic to deal with. It's an insane city planning philosophy and as a result we have a road system that is way over-built and incredibly expensive to maintain all these 4-lane+ standard wide roads that we do not need, period.

dmoor82
11-30-2010, 05:51 AM
Famous tennis legend:You cannot be serious!!!!!!!

bucktalk
11-30-2010, 06:15 AM
I recently know of someone who has been dealing with the city of Edmond on a few building inspection for occupency issues. It's totally overdone how picky the city project inspectors can be. I'm thinkin....there is no way any inspector could give approval for this paving job....just no way!!

hipsterdoofus
11-30-2010, 08:17 AM
What they did on 164th was ridiculous - redid the road made it fantastic - ended the 2nd lane going westbound 1/4 mile before the intersection with penn - what waste.

metro
11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Seems to the the OKC status quo. Classen that they just did is getting bad already and so is NW 23rd in which they are still working on, it's TERRIBLE. Especially between I-44 and Penn. Spend the extra money to do concrete right the first time and not this cheap crap asphalt that has to be redone and constantly patched because it moves easily.

TheTravellers
12-01-2010, 03:50 PM
What they did on 164th was ridiculous - redid the road made it fantastic - ended the 2nd lane going westbound 1/4 mile before the intersection with penn - what waste.

As has been said by others on other forums, just wait and it'll eventually get made into a "real" intersection (which I doubt will happen in a relatively realistic timeframe). They also did not extend the newly-made 4 lanes of Penn to the intersection either. I agree with you, though - just do it right the first time! OKC has a problem with that when it comes to road construction, though. I hope I've moved out of that area before they start work on that intersection (I already avoid it 99.9% of the time).

Platemaker
12-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Seems to the the OKC status quo. Classen that they just did is getting bad already and so is NW 23rd in which they are still working on, it's TERRIBLE. Especially between I-44 and Penn. Spend the extra money to do concrete right the first time and not this cheap crap asphalt that has to be redone and constantly patched because it moves easily.

What's bad about Classen now? I haven't noticed.

hipsterdoofus
12-02-2010, 12:16 PM
As has been said by others on other forums, just wait and it'll eventually get made into a "real" intersection (which I doubt will happen in a relatively realistic timeframe). They also did not extend the newly-made 4 lanes of Penn to the intersection either. I agree with you, though - just do it right the first time! OKC has a problem with that when it comes to road construction, though. I hope I've moved out of that area before they start work on that intersection (I already avoid it 99.9% of the time).

Yeah and how much will construction costs go up by the time they decide to go back and to it?

bucktalk
12-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Noticed they were placing stripes down this horrible, half-assed new road today. Anyone have a clue how this road could have passed inspection? I just can't believe any inspector would give it a thumbs up for the work done...ain't no way!

Bunty
12-05-2010, 10:39 PM
What's bad about Classen now? I haven't noticed.

I drove on Classen some last month between 23rd and I-44 and didn't notice anything bad about its surface.

adaniel
12-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Apologies for the thread hijacking but since this is somewhat along the same lines.....

Is anyone else just about done with the horrendous state of the 235/77/44 interchange? I know this is slated to be reconstructed beginning sometime next year, but considering it won't be done until 2015 at the earliest I think its pathetic the way the road has deteriorated. Huge cracks opening up, massive potholes, warped asphat, etc. And its especially bad along the 235/77 bridge going both north and southtbound. Its embarrasing to take out of town guests along this road! Is ODOT so broke that they can't afford a quick asphat patch job just until they can get to replacing the bridge? I'm thinking about firing off a pissy email to ODOT because if I have to nail a pothole on that stupid interchange one more time I might scream!!!

Ok rant over.

hipsterdoofus
12-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Apologies for the thread hijacking but since this is somewhat along the same lines.....

Is anyone else just about done with the horrendous state of the 235/77/44 interchange? I know this is slated to be reconstructed beginning sometime next year, but considering it won't be done until 2015 at the earliest I think its pathetic the way the road has deteriorated. Huge cracks opening up, massive potholes, warped asphat, etc. And its especially bad along the 235/77 bridge going both north and southtbound. Its embarrasing to take out of town guests along this road! Is ODOT so broke that they can't afford a quick asphat patch job just until they can get to replacing the bridge? I'm thinking about firing off a pissy email to ODOT because if I have to nail a pothole on that stupid interchange one more time I might scream!!!

Ok rant over.

Yeah I wish they would at least do the tar fill ins on the cracks...some of those things are going to start causing vehicle damage...it won't get any better after we start getting freezing water in those cracks soon.